Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

You’re assuming that you want get the virus when you’re there.
    Who says you can’t fly there of course you can you just need to quarantine on return

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

DarHan84 wrote: »
    Looking at the data, the current list, based on the 14 day rolling avg per 100k will look like this most likely... (only including Europe for this as most people's travel plans are pretty local right now).

Guernsey
    Malta (.8 cases per 100k)
    Finland
    Hungary
    Georgia
    Estonia
    Faroe Island
    Norway
    Lithuania
    Latvia
    Cyprus

Borderline countries who are just below Ireland but also in the safest tier today so likely in will be:
    Greece
    Italy
    Slovakia
    Liechtenstein
    Denmark
    Netherlands
    Germany (6.2 cases per 100k)

After that, notable countries who likely won't make this Monday's list based on the data

France (11 per 100k)
    UK (13 per 100k)
    Spain (18 per 100k)
    Portugal (48 per 100k)
    Sweden (60 per 100k)

(Source https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/download-todays-data-geographic-distribution-covid-19-cases-worldwide)

Italy and Slovakia now above Ireland so near certainly green unless something goes wrong today.

Tier just below Ireland remains the same, but don't see any chance for anyone else this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Run more tests, get more results

That’s Trump’s mantra. No one believes him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Italy and Slovakia now above Ireland so near certainly green unless something goes wrong today.

Tier just below Ireland remains the same, but don't see any chance for anyone else this week.

The authorities will be gutted to see Italy fall below Ireland.

A 'normal' holiday destination on the Green list, will probably result in the green list not being issued or something. You wouldnt know anymore with this crowd making it up as they go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

A 'normal' holiday destination on the Green list, will probably result in the green list not being issued or something. You wouldnt know anymore with this crowd making it up as they go along.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Today's figures. Ireland up to 4.9. Italy and Greece below Ireland. I still think they are better off putting a hard number (below 5 or better below 7.5) as a means to 'Green list' otherwise week on week there will need to be narrative gymnastics explains what is what.

• Advertisement

That’s Trump’s mantra. No one believes him

So you suggest that it's incorrect? It's basic maths. Very very basic in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

If the Green list is subject to change every 2 weeks then it makes no sense whatsoever to even publish it, unless you have expert virus prediction skills. You book a holiday a few weeks in advance, fly out, and while you're there cases rise for whatever reason...then what? Can countries enforce a sudden (re)lockdown and force you to stay and not come back home to your job? Or what if the Green list gets revised and though you thought you wouldn't be asked to quarantine for 2 weeks on return, now you will have to, even though you waited all that time for the list to make sure you would be ok? Not to mention companies saying regardless of any green list they will still want you to quarantine.

How is anyone supposed to have any kind of peace of mind travelling with such changing rules?

The_Brood wrote: »
    If the Green list is subject to change every 2 weeks then it makes no sense whatsoever to even publish it, unless you have expert virus prediction skills. You book a holiday a few weeks in advance, fly out, and while you're there cases rise for whatever reason...then what? Can countries enforce a sudden (re)lockdown and force you to stay and not come back home to your job? Or what if the Green list gets revised and though you thought you wouldn't be asked to quarantine for 2 weeks on return, now you will have to, even though you waited all that time for the list to make sure you would be ok? Not to mention companies saying regardless of any green list they will still want you to quarantine.

How is anyone supposed to have any kind of peace of mind travelling with such changing rules?

We live in a changed world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Who says you can’t fly there of course you can you just need to quarantine on return

But if the USA is on the list of countries that you shouldnt fly to due to health concerns, my question remains: can flights coming from USA, many of them packed with tourists who will fill our parks and restaurants, still come here?

But if the USA is on the list of countries that you shouldnt fly to due to health concerns, my question remains: can flights coming from USA, many of them packed with tourists who will fill our parks and restaurants, still come here?

How can anybody take anything you say seriously when you post such stuff which has been fact checked as being false.

People might sometimes forget we have loads of US multinational companies here with American citizens living and working in this country.

The anecdotes of Americans down in Kerry or Cork having a party after flying in make me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

How can anybody take anything you say seriously when you post such stuff which has been fact checked as being false.

People might sometimes forget we have loads of US multinational companies here with American citizens living and working in this country.

The anecdotes of Americans down in Kerry or Cork having a party after flying in make me cringe.

American tourists are coming here daily to visit parks, pubs and restaurants and are renting cars and travelling freely around the country. Many of these tourists are travelling from highly infected states. My question remains a simple one, are these people still going to be allowed enter Ireland?

American tourists are coming here daily to visit parks, pubs and restaurants and are renting cars and travelling freely around the country. Many of these tourists are travelling from highly infected states. My question remains a simple one, are these people still going to be allowed enter Ireland?

How many?
    Last I saw (Thursday/Friday) the average day saw 5%-10% of the avg number of people arriving to Ireland on flights on USA. The flights are still coming because, believe it or not, many of those flights are used for freight too.

The idea of Americans roaming the country "from highly infected states" is very easy to verify, yet weirdly there are no videos, pictures etc on Twitter, just the odd anecdote alongside many tales of someone's neighbours, cousins, ex girlfriend bumping into these bogeymen in tourist hotspots.

I'm sure that the list is being prepared specifically to p1ss off people who want to go on holidays. If you're right, and not just spouting a conspiracy theory, then I'm sure Greece/Italy won't be on the list tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

North Korea will definitely be on the green list as they have managed to have 0 coronavirus cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm sure that the list is being prepared specifically to p1ss off people who want to go on holidays. If you're right, and not just spouting a conspiracy theory, then I'm sure Greece/Italy won't be on the list tomorrow.

This must be some list and i'm sure the Mandarins in Merrion street have been clocking up the Overtime€€€€€ just to copy the list off the ECDC website for weeks now...

If Greece and Italy aren't on the list then neither will Spain, France, UK...

So holidays in North Macedonia anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have not been but Croatia is supposed to be a lovely holiday destination and will definitely be on the list. You can get both beach and cultural holiday there. And it doesn’t get the boisterous yobbish crowds that go to Spain, Greece, Portugal.

Have not been but Croatia is supposed to be a lovely holiday destination and will definitely be on the list. You can get both beach and cultural holiday there. And it doesn’t get the boisterous yobbish crowds that go to Spain, Greece, Portugal.

Croatia looks great, and would be hot and sunny now, loads to see, Split To Hvar Island would be on my list.

As for the "boisterous yobbish crowds" .. sure none of the bars or nightclubs are open apart from one or two smaller bar restaurants in those countries.. so the boisterous yobbish crowds are staying home and having house parties this year..

It is definitely not going to be on the list as had big rise in cases recently. It had done very well originally but has had clusters recently and with small population its rate per 100k is very high at the moment.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Croatia looks great, and would be hot and sunny now, loads to see, Split To Hvar Island would be on my list.

As for the "boisterous yobbish crowds" .. sure none of the bars or nightclubs are open apart from one or two smaller bar restaurants in those countries.. so the boisterous yobbish crowds are staying home and having house parties this year..

Doubt Croatia will be on the list. Nearly 30 cases per 100k people over the last 14 days.

Malta and Cyprus are supposed to be nice.
    Slovakia too if you like lakes/mountains.

It is definitely not going to be on the list as had big rise in cases recently. It had done very well originally but has had clusters recently and with small population its rate per 100k is very high at the moment.

Which precisely illustrates the problem with a green list being subject to change. What happens if you fly off to a green list country and it gets delisted mid vacation? Even if it's not the end of the world, the situation is causing way too much uncertainty and anxiety for what is supposed to be peace and relaxation outside of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Fingers crossed for Malta, always wanted to visit and am tempted to soon.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

So holidays in North Macedonia anyone?

I highly recommend North Macedonia as a holiday destination, very cheap too

Which precisely illustrates the problem with a green list being subject to change. What happens if you fly off to a green list country and it gets delisted mid vacation? Even if it's not the end of the world, the situation is causing way too much uncertainty and anxiety for what is supposed to be peace and relaxation outside of work.

You could book a flight on Monday to a "Safe" country only to come back Sunday and have to do the 14 Day Isolation thing...

We need the politicians to do their jobs and make a recommendation based on the advice, but not solely on how a Virus which changes daily behaves...

Fingers crossed for Malta, always wanted to visit and am tempted to soon.

Lovely Island, loads to see from Valletta to Gozo, it's not a cheap place but still cheaper than Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Me too....it’s absolutely stunning.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    I highly recommend North Macedonia as a holiday destination, very cheap too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The myth of packed flights has been busted many times over

faceman wrote: »
    The myth of packed flights has been busted many times over

too much. At this stage anyone repeating it must be trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I was reading the Journal from yesterday and some journalist suggested canary Islands would be treated as its own entity... As per ecdc reporting. When you look at the link... Islands are separated out from Spain on the colour coded map under the league table....

quote="MickeyLeari;114076274"]https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Today's figures. Ireland up to 4.9. Italy and Greece below Ireland. I still think they are better off putting a hard number (below 5 or better below 7.5) as a means to 'Green list' otherwise week on week there will need to be narrative gymnastics explains what is what.[/quote]

LilyShame wrote: »
    I was reading the Journal from yesterday and some journalist suggested canary Islands would be treated as its own entity... As per ecdc reporting. When you look at the link... Islands are separated out from Spain on the colour coded map under the league table....

quote="MickeyLeari;114076274"]https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Today's figures. Ireland up to 4.9. Italy and Greece below Ireland. I still think they are better off putting a hard number (below 5 or better below 7.5) as a means to 'Green list' otherwise week on week there will need to be narrative gymnastics explains what is what.
    [/QUOTE]

On one hand that would be common sense, but on the other nothing can legally stop you from flying first to the canaries but then to mainland Spain, and then back to the canaries and back to Ireland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Well Dara Calleary is pretty much saying a green list will exist but the advice remains against all non essential travel.
    That's holidays out the window. The Civil Service and Public sector will be required to limit movements at their own expense and so many company's in the private sector will follow suit.

For what is worth I think that is a total cop out by those in power. So I hope that isn't the actual outcome and that Dara is off on a tangent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

No green list tomorrow. due to EU summit over run

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

On one hand that would be common sense, but on the other nothing can legally stop you from flying first to the canaries but then to mainland Spain, and then back to the canaries and back to Ireland....

Nothing stopping you flying from Belfast either - no 14 day quarantine if you arrive in the north from Spain and then travel to the republic.

There will be plenty of ways of getting around the red list.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

What's magically going to happen on Jan 1st next year to allow people travel? If no vaccine in place it'll be the same crack next year with travel restrictions.

Honestly at this stage our government are out of their depth. MM has closed our economy!

mikekerry wrote: »
    What's magically going to happen on Jan 1st next year to allow people travel? If no vaccine in place it'll be the same crack next year with travel restrictions.

Also not exactly sure where you will get a summer holiday in January that will not be very expensive to travel to.

• Advertisement

It sounds like negotiations are not going well in EU.....

No green listtomorrow. due to EU summit over run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you flying from Belfast either - no 14 day quarantine if you arrive in the north from Spain and then travel to the republic.

There will be plenty of ways of getting around the red list.

Really no need to go to Belfast as quarantine is not law anyway, your asked to do it or as the government say you "should" self isolate for 14 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Honestly at this stage our government are out of their depth. MM has closed our economy!

I don’t see how, it was the coronavirus that closed the economy. Would you prefer a free for all like most of the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...some journalist suggested canary Islands would be treated as its own entity...

If based purely on health, then they should 100% be on the list. However.....

I was in Tenerife last week. Airport quiet, plane half full. Everyone wearing masks. Also, over there felt very safe with mask wearing in supermarkets etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭mikekerry

They will probably lump canaries in with Spain as they know plenty of Irish go to the canaries they won't want people going there. They want people to holiday here to help the economy. They don't give a hoot if the canaries is safe. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭combat14

would have to be more concerned that ones travel insurance is deemed invalid due to govts "avoid unnecessary travel" announcement regardless of any green list at this stage?

cant travel without travel insurance in these times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

combat14 wrote: »
    would have to be more concerned that ones travel insurance is deemed invalid due to govts "avoid unnecessary travel" announcement regardless of any green list at this stage?

unfortunately people will still book travel without travel insurance, and then just blame ryanair when they change their mind and dont travel for their own reasons...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

combat14 wrote: »

Depends on what you want to insure against, and how willing you are to absorb particular uninsurable risks yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A cynic might think that the optics of Micheál Martin returning from a non green listed country might be part of the reason for the delay.

This government are a dithering shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Michael Martin will take no risks this time as it's his first decision that could have an actual impact. In two weeks time he will add the UK to the list, once he's had a buffer to avoid bad choice blame. That is of course assuming nothing drastic happens in the meantime.

As of right now, besides the odd city ie Leicester, the UK has the same rates of infection as Ireland, and is better than most of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well Dara Calleary is pretty much saying a green list will exist but the advice remains against all non essential travel.
    That's holidays out the window. The Civil Service and Public sector will be required to limit movements at their own expense and so many company's in the private sector will follow suit.

For what is worth I think that is a total cop out by those in power. So I hope that isn't the actual outcome and that Dara is off on a tangent.

I'd love to see the legislation that requires me to tell my employer what I'm up to in my personal time. I wouldn't mind seeing the legal definition of 'essential' travel for that matter.

The obsession with the 'Green List is weird - the only difference between going to a country that is not on it is the requirement to fill in a form on your return - after that you don't have to do anything.

For example things like telling my employer where I've been, restricting my movements or answering my phone to some low-level bureaucrat wondering what I'm up to, are all examples of things I won't be doing on my return.

I find it really weird that people just blindly accept an erosion of their rights based on what some gombeen politician is mouthing off about. We don't like in North Korea - not yet anyway.

Go on holidays if you want, hide home in your bedroom if you want.

Either way, 'The green list' is a nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

I don’t see why ireland should be the benchmark or the minimum standard. Who’s to say a figure of 10 isn’t totally acceptable?

It sounds like negotiations are not going well in EU.....

There’s more to it. The coalition are killing each other behind closed doors. Some don’t want a green list at all. It’s race to see who can be most conservative

faceman wrote: »
    There’s more to it. The coalition are killing each other behind closed doors. Some don’t want a green list at all. It’s race to see who can be most conservative

Italy going below Ireland per 100k has spooked them.

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if there was no green list, but I sense Varadkar is very much behind the idea of a green list type solution so i think something will have to be published so as to not totally lose public trust.

FF trying to row in behind social media frenzy to demonize any people travelling.

There is a sense, oh if we stop travel until September, everything will be all rosey?

They are so out of touch with the reality.

I just hope the people throwing stones will remember what they were like when the covid situation is pretty much the same next June and they are planning their getaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Just back from 9 days in IBIZA, 28 on plane out, 39 on plane back, Dublin, of which only 7 were Irish, rest Spanish and some English.

We were in north Ibiza, whole island is quiet, alot of big hotels not opening. Beaches quiet, mostly Spanish on them, asked apartment owner about this, he said they are mostly locals who are not working, from hotels and shops and just spending an hour or two on the beach with their family.

Mask wise, mandatory in shops, no mask no entry oh and you have to hand sanatise. Masks were mandatory on street since last Monday and from today cops can fine you 200 for not wearing one on street.

Alot not open, bars restaurants, small shops, but suited us. Still plenty of options avaiable. All outdoor aswell.

Back here went to Supervalu to restock, wore mask, was only about 4 other people there wearing them and no staff.

Im happy we went,

• Advertisement
Advertisement