Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Survivor: Winners at War

• 14-01-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Season 40 is only 29 days away and I can't wait!
    I personally would have preferred if it was only one time winners but oh well.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out and if any of the winners end up making stupid moves.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Here they are.
    survivor-season-40-Talent-recap.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm liking the fact that they're going down the route of Edge of Extinction. It seems ideal for a returners season, certainly from an entertainment perspective.

Also curious to see how this currency mixes things up. Adds in what could be an exciting element that leads to less reliance on idols to provoke drama going forward. Not sure if it'll have a similar impact to the concept of Garnets within the Korean show The Genius, if anyone has watched that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It should be epic.The Survivor equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm liking the fact that they're going down the route of Edge of Extinction. It seems ideal for a returners season, certainly from an entertainment perspective.

Absolutely. It was horrible for a new player season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

2 weeks to go!

This is going to be an epic season imo, how could it not be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Gobb

Thargor wrote: »
    2 weeks to go!

This is going to be an epic season imo, how could it not be?

I'm debating whether it's mentally possible to binge all of the winner's seasons before then.

Gobb wrote: »
    I'm debating whether it's mentally possible to binge all of the winner's seasons before then.
    I thought the same thing the minute Jeff announced it but I have so much other new stuff to watch I cant justify it, Youtube recaps are your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Australian one starts Monday - Survivor All Stars!
    Will be getting myself confused with the contestants watching both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'll be watching, but cant help but feel its lost some of its lustre as a show. Perhaps its just me, I personally love the challenges for immunity once merge happens, and seeing them struggle with hunger in camp, I find its gone too far the other way and the surviving has become more about the politics and the vote out which seems to get more and more air time than the rest but thats just my opinion.

One of my all time favourite immunity challenges was way back in the ITV series, they all had to stand on a pole in the ocean, cant remember how long it went but it was something crazy longest ever challenge if I can recall

I want to see more stamina challenges lets see who wants it most, rather than some of the skills and puzzle ones
    that often see a random winner, I wanna see them so hungry they argue and have to survive, make the mind not so sharp
    as you're starving

I'm the opposite. Bring on the in game currency. The less food they have, the less energy they have, the less game play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm the opposite. Bring on the in game currency. The less food they have, the less energy they have, the less game play.
    and thats one of its greatest assets, we all watch for something different from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

They should bring back the eating trials. Used to love those ;)

Dovies wrote: »
    They should bring back the eating trials. Used to love those ;)
    And the auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Out of curiosity has TG4 stopped showing Survivor? Search for it occasionally on the Sky app and it never seems to be on any channel but TG4 used to show it fairly regularly up to last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI there was an episode on last night called "Survivor S40E00 Greatest Moments and Players".

Mr E wrote: »
    FYI there was an episode on last night called "Survivor S40E00 Greatest Moments and Players".

What channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In the States. Same channel as the main show I assume.

In the States. Same channel as the main show I assume.

Thanks.

My bads,I wrongly presumed you had viewed it.:)

That retrospective and mini preview certainly did the job of whetting the appetite. Thanks for the heads up.

That retrospective and mini preview certainly did the job of whetting the appetite. Thanks for the heads up.

Hoping to get a look at it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I heard about that but haven't found any links yet ... I guess I'll search my usual sites for S40E00 ;) cheers!

kingtut wrote: »
    I heard about that but haven't found any links yet ... I guess I'll search my usual sites for S40E00 ;) cheers!

Cracking warm up.

Probably a little bit short of material from the earlier seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed the retrospective - between that and the first few episodes of Australian Survivor All-Stars, I'm more excited about Survivor in general, than I have been in years, so really looking forward to Winners At War.

Still haven't watched the retrospective, maybe I will tonight.

Survivor airs tomorrow!!!! :D:D:D:D

Watched the retrospective and it was entertaining but they could have included so much more. I would have liked if they had included the craziest/worst/best moves for all of the winners appearing on S40.

Speaking of S40 .... no more sleeps. It starts tonight!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

For anyone looking to binge on similar stuff for the day I would strongly recommend the YouTube channel from Peridiam. There's a good two hours of content to watch related to the upcoming season.

So I starting watching live last night (1am start) but fell asleep at 2am. Seems entertaining enough so far but with some rookie mistakes already showing (very surprised). Looking forward to finishing it later and see who from the losing tribe goes home.

Wow the survivor premiere truly lived up to all the hype.Simply epic.

I did not truly give credit to how strong a player Natalie is.Her swimming ability and physical strength were awesome to witness.Very unlucky to be voted out due to her tightness to Jeremy.Impressive in her attainment of the HII.Bizarre decision to give the Queen same?

Tyson is one of my favourite players but is in trouble due to his likeability,several appearances and past connections.

Danni does not strike me as a winner.Good call to put out Rob's name for a first vote out but she did not anticipate Ben throwing her under the bus.She dug herself out of a hole by telling the truth and subsequently aligned with Rob's older era alliance.

Sophie has aligned herself with Yul and the others outside of the so called poker alliance and the Tony/Sarah alliance.This alliance has potential to dominate this tribe.

Jeremy is now a tad on the outs after Natalie's vote out,we never did get to see Ben disclose to him who was the mastermind behind the vote.

LOL at Sandra taking such umbrage at Boston Rob's failure to disclose his partaking whilst they were hitched up on the Island of the Idols last season.I can't hide my dislike for her and I'm happily in the camp that she's the most over rated of 2 time winners.She won both seasons simply by spreading rumour,innuendo,lies and a small smattering of truths.She won season 20 simply because Hantz was disliked so much and Parvati was guilty by association.Amber could barely hide her dislike for her after Sandra's in all probability truth that Amber was no longer up to the pace of the game nor likely ruthless enough.She has a huge target on her back from Amber's better half's direction.

Disappointed with Ben,I can't understand why he chose to disclose Dani's intentions to Rob other than he was awe struck or to try to buy some loyalty.But he ended up doing it in a half assed fashion with his initial reluctance to name the person who threw Rob's name out.He got well and truly schooled by Rob.A lesson hard learned.Thankfully he subsequently came to the realisation of the error of his ways and the need for a solid alliance to counteract Rob's preeminence.

I am afraid Michelle appears to be largely lost at sea and was on the outs on the initial vote out.She readily admits she would have scant appearances on any venn diagrams outlining friendships/connections.She will be an early vote out or a goat.

Wendell is a part of what appears to be a solid alliance and is very sociable and can built a shelter.He has all the attributes required to progress deep into the game.

Adam made the schoolboy error of immediately post arrival at camp heading/scampering off for water with Denise and getting lost.:D Nothing surer to put a target on your back.Both parties seem to have survived this miscalculation.

Yul is truly on of the great thinkers of this game and although he admitted it is a long time since he has played he still has so solid a game in his tank.He revealed all re the now infamous poker game and the multitude of connections that return players possess of.I can only imagine he watched back all the seasons to connect all the dots/make sense of all the venn diagrams and kept afoot of any celebrity survivor reunions.Although I was devastated when Ozzy lost the vote to him on Cook Island I could'nt and still can't but admire his game intelligence.An early favourite for me.He is in remarkably good shape for somebody who has not played in over 10 years.

Sarah is tight with Tony and is a player to be respected with a strong physical,strategic game with a touch of ruthlessness.She has not got a big edit thus far.

Amber was a real sweetheart in her first 2 seasons and I do not believe much has changed.Except the game is now more frenetic and there some many new additions Advantages,Fire Tokens,Idol Neutralisers,Island of Extinction.She could not get the stench of the poker alliance/part of a pair off her back.Good call to vote her out.

Boston Rob was quite amazingly not voted out at the initial vote.Great kudos to his brilliance.He absolutely schooled Ben who fell at his feet which are unbelievably made of clay.Through a mixture of intimidation and forthrightness he got Dani on side for his alliance.Not the first time such strong armed tactics have worked,although same will not work against a stronger character.Yet his tribe that should vote him out so badly need him.He virtually singlehandedly drove them to an unlikely come from behind victory in the second IC.His locking horns with Sandra will be awesome.His brilliance as a player is underlined by his ability to keep schtum re his intentions for this season whilst breaking bread with Sandra throughout the entirety of the last season.I think in the end the newer members will see sense and vote him out when the opportunity arises.He's simply too great a threat.

Parvati has come back a different player as a married mother who will no longer flirt her away to victory like a venus fly trap.To typecast her as same takes away from her previous brilliance as a player.Yet she admits she will have to perhaps approach the game from a more motherly angle and make alliances with past sworn enemies ( Rob ).

Kim was a worthy winner in her past season but the edit thus far has given her an isolated and distant role.She seems pigeon holed into the poker alliance and appears unilkely to be in a position to strategise her way out of an early exit.

Tony is one of my favourite machiavellian type players,I was a huge fan of Hantz.It's only a game lol.He was a worthy winner of his season but only won out of a friendship that all but doomed Woo to certain loss.No doubts he was the best player that season.He locked horns upon his return and I'm in no way convinced the claimed ceasefire is anything more than a facade.He has tried to rein in his urge to scamper off looking for HIIs and strategise at every opportunity but a leopard never changes his spots and he will revert back to playing hard when necessary as he rightly told Amber when she called him out.I think his willingness to play hard will ultimately prove his downfall.It appears he survived the ladder!

Nick is one of the more recent winners and same is an advantage in terms of the type of gameplay required.He is part of a power alliance yet there is a perception he is a bit devious.

Great to see Ethan from Africa living life full as part of the Survivor experience.A welcome distraction from thoughts of one's mortality and fears of relapse.He's a part of Rob's alliance but I can not see him surviving deep into the game.

TBH i am not that mad on these fire tokens,buy a pizza and a few other silly ones.Yet as I think Nick mentioned the ability to use them correctly could be very important in terms of the game's outcome.

Again I am not sold on the Island of Extinction.I do not think it worked particularly well previously and ultimately a vote out should mean your torch is snuffed once and for all.

Interesting conversation re survivor(s) Amber/Sandra willingness to sacrifice friendships for the 2 million bucks.All these guys presumably are still millionaires post their initial win and monies made post same from endorsements,celebrity appearances.

Amber still has two shots are the 2 million bucks and will at least not have to sacrifice one friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

seligehgit wrote: »
    Wow the survivor premiere truly lived up to all the hype.Simply epic.

I did not truly give credit to how strong a player Natalie is.Her swimming ability and physical strength were awesome to witness.Very unlucky to be voted out due to her tightness to Jeremy.Impressive in her attainment of the HII.Bizarre decision to give the Queen same?

Tyson is one of my favourite players but is in trouble due to his likeability,several appearances and past connections.

Danni does not strike me as a winner.Good call to put out Rob's name for a first vote out but she did not anticipate Ben throwing her under the bus.She dug herself out of a hole by telling the truth and subsequently aligned with Rob's older era alliance.

Sophie has aligned herself with Yul and the others outside of the so called poker alliance and the Tony/Sarah alliance.This alliance has potential to dominate this tribe.

Jeremy is now a tad on the outs after Natalie's vote out,we never did get to see Ben disclose to him who was the mastermind behind the vote.

LOL at Sandra taking such umbrage at Boston Rob's failure to disclose his partaking whilst they were hitched up on the Island of the Idols last season.I can't hide my dislike for her and I'm happily in the camp that she's the most over rated of 2 time winners.She won both seasons simply by spreading rumour,innuendo,lies and a small smattering of truths.She won season 20 simply because Hantz was disliked so much and Parvati was guilty by association.Amber could barely hide her dislike for her after Sandra's in all probability truth that Amber was no longer up to the pace of the game nor likely ruthless enough.She has a huge target on her back from Amber's better half's direction.

Disappointed with Ben,I can't understand why he chose to disclose Dani's intentions to Rob other than he was awe struck or to try to buy some loyalty.But he ended up doing it in a half assed fashion with his initial reluctance to name the person who threw Rob's name out.He got well and truly schooled by Rob.A lesson hard learned.Thankfully he subsequently came to the realisation of the error of his ways and the need for a solid alliance to counteract Rob's preeminence.

I am afraid Michelle appears to be largely lost at sea and was on the outs on the initial vote out.She readily admits she would have scant appearances on any venn diagrams outlining friendships/connections.She will be an early vote out or a goat.

Wendell is a part of what appears to be a solid alliance and is very sociable and can built a shelter.He has all the attributes required to progress deep into the game.

Adam made the schoolboy error of immediately post arrival at camp heading/scampering off for water with Denise and getting lost.:D Nothing surer to put a target on your back.Both parties seem to have survived this miscalculation.

Yul is truly on of the great thinkers of this game and although he admitted it is a long time since he has played he still has so solid a game in his tank.He revealed all re the now infamous poker game and the multitude of connections that return players possess of.I can only imagine he watched back all the seasons to connect all the dots/make sense of all the venn diagrams and kept afoot of any celebrity survivor reunions.Although I was devastated when Ozzy lost the vote to him on Cook Island I could'nt and still can't but admire his game intelligence.An early favourite for me.He is in remarkably good shape for somebody who has not played in over 10 years.

Sarah is tight with Tony and is a player to be respected with a strong physical,strategic game with a touch of ruthlessness.She has not got a big edit thus far.

Amber was a real sweetheart in her first 2 seasons and I do not believe much has changed.Except the game is now more frenetic and there some many new additions Advantages,Fire Tokens,Idol Neutralisers,Island of Extinction.She could not get the stench of the poker alliance/part of a pair off her back.Good call to vote her out.

Boston Rob was quite amazingly not voted out at the initial vote.Great kudos to his brilliance.He absolutely schooled Ben who fell at his feet which are unbelievably made of clay.Through a mixture of intimidation and forthrightness he got Dani on side for his alliance.Not the first time such strong armed tactics have worked,although same will not work against a stronger character.Yet his tribe that should vote him out so badly need him.He virtually singlehandedly drove them to an unlikely come from behind victory in the second IC.His locking horns with Sandra will be awesome.His brilliance as a player is underlined by his ability to keep schtum re his intentions for this season whilst breaking bread with Sandra throughout the entirety of the last season.I think in the end the newer members will see sense and vote him out when the opportunity arises.He's simply too great a threat.

Parvati has come back a different player as a married mother who will no longer flirt her away to victory like a venus fly trap.To typecast her as same takes away from her previous brilliance as a player.Yet she admits she will have to perhaps approach the game from a more motherly angle and make alliances with past sworn enemies ( Rob ).

Kim was a worthy winner in her past season but the edit thus far has given her an isolated and distant role.She seems pigeon holed into the poker alliance and appears unilkely to be in a position to strategise her way out of an early exit.

Tony is one of my favourite machiavellian type players,I was a huge fan of Hantz.It's only a game lol.He was a worthy winner of his season but only won out of a friendship that all but doomed Woo to certain loss.No doubts he was the best player that season.He locked horns upon his return and I'm in no way convinced the claimed ceasefire is anything more than a facade.He has tried to rein in his urge to scamper off looking for HIIs and strategise at every opportunity but a leopard never changes his spots and he will revert back to playing hard when necessary as he rightly told Amber when she called him out.I think his willingness to play hard will ultimately prove his downfall.It appears he survived the ladder!

Nick is one of the more recent winners and same is an advantage in terms of the type of gameplay required.He is part of a power alliance yet there is a perception he is a bit devious.

Great to see Ethan from Africa living life full as part of the Survivor experience.A welcome distraction from thoughts of one's mortality and fears of relapse.He's a part of Rob's alliance but I can not see him surviving deep into the game.

TBH i am not that mad on these fire tokens,buy a pizza and a few other silly ones.Yet as I think Nick mentioned the ability to use them correctly could be very important in terms of the game's outcome.

Again I am not sold on the Island of Extinction.I do not think it worked particularly well previously and ultimately a vote out should mean your torch is snuffed once and for all.

Interesting conversation re survivor(s) Amber/Sandra willingness to sacrifice friendships for the 2 million bucks.All these guys presumably are still millionaires post their initial win and monies made post same from endorsements,celebrity appearances.

Amber still has two shots are the 2 million bucks and will at least not have to sacrifice one friendship.

I don't think that was impressive at all. It was such a straight forward riddle and the effort wasn't that great, especially on day 3. I'd be fine if that was stage one for a 4 step clue but to hand an idol out for that is silly. For all the times I've defended the concept of HII, I'll be annoyed if this is a start of a trend where minimal effort on EoE drops an idol/advantages in the lap of someone active in the game.

Overall it was a great start to the season. It was enjoyable seeing players trying to get up to speed with changes in the game since they last played and some being a bit starstruck. Shaping up to be a fantastic season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will never understand why no one votes out Sandra and Rob first they are the best game players there.

Now Amber was voted out I want to see Rob get down and dirty.

Ethan is still a very likable guy and I would like to see him win and not just because he had cancer but because he really does seem to be a genuine human being which is rare on reality TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Ethan is still a very likable guy and I would like to see him win and not just because he had cancer but because he really does seem to be a genuine human being which is rare on reality TV.

Ethan is probably my favourite going in to this (loved him in Africa and All-Stars, and on The Amazing Race) - would love to see himself and Yul play the game together if they make it to a tribe swap or a merge. I'm very interested to see how those two will adapt to the new way the game is played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I enjoyed this episode. I haven't watched Survivor since Ben won (about 2 years ago) so I don't know anything about Wendell, Nick or Adam. I stopped watching cos I felt that season was rigged for Ben to win and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I felt like Natalie found that idol way too easily, the path was marked out for her! Does this mean that there will be idol drops every week? Seems a bit unneccesary. I'm glad Amber was voted out. She is a wet fish and isn't a great player. It was fun to see Kim on the outs, panicking unlike her winning season. Michelle seemed totally on the outs, but I would like to see her do well as she is a quiet unflashy player. Yul did impress me, he hasn't aged a bit and seems even smarter than before. He chose well to side with Sophie. I don't think Parvati will do well. She seems to have aged a lot in the past 10 years, and to see her blubbing about leaving her kid behind, no one wants to hear that. I think she sided with Rob because they must have a pregame alliance. But the both of them seem to think they are much better players than the rest of them, which they aren't. Just more famous.

I was impressed with how Danni managed to deal with Rob when he came up to her demanding to know if she threw his name out. She didn't flinch and was able to turn it around in her favour. The players that impressed me were: Danni, Yul & Sophie.

So I managed to finish the episode. It's really entertaining so far although I can already see the players from the old seasons struggling. Not sure how I feel about the fire tokens, I mean you can now buy an idol?? I predict another tribal where the person who goes home only goes home because everyone else has an idol!!

So glad Amber went home, looking forward to how pi$$ed Rob will be. Kinda sucks though that she is going to just give whatever advantages she can to Rob. She isn't going to think of the long game.

Denise and Adam are so lucky that they didn't go home. Can't wait for next week :)

kaji wrote: »
    I enjoyed this episode. I haven't watched Survivor since Ben won (about 2 years ago) so I don't know anything about Wendell, Nick or Adam. I stopped watching cos I felt that season was rigged for Ben to win and it left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I felt like Natalie found that idol way too easily, the path was marked out for her! Does this mean that there will be idol drops every week? Seems a bit unneccesary. I'm glad Amber was voted out. She is a wet fish and isn't a great player. It was fun to see Kim on the outs, panicking unlike her winning season. Michelle seemed totally on the outs, but I would like to see her do well as she is a quiet unflashy player. Yul did impress me, he hasn't aged a bit and seems even smarter than before. He chose well to side with Sophie. I don't think Parvati will do well. She seems to have aged a lot in the past 10 years, and to see her blubbing about leaving her kid behind, no one wants to hear that. I think she sided with Rob because they must have a pregame alliance. But the both of them seem to think they are much better players than the rest of them, which they aren't. Just more famous.

I was impressed with how Danni managed to deal with Rob when he came up to her demanding to know if she threw his name out. She didn't flinch and was able to turn it around in her favour. The players that impressed me were: Danni, Yul & Sophie.

How this situation was turned around was more to do with Rob's weakness than how she responded. His comments to the camera saying it was a good move by her was more about him protecting his ego by not admitting he was struggling for numbers, feeling the pressure, and needing her. If he was in a powerful position he'd have cut her out no matter her response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would have loved to see Hatch on it just for the sh1t he would have caused he is get TV.

Survivor Champ Richard Hatch Says Show 'Made a Horrendous Mistake' Excluding Him From Winners at War
    Survivor premiered its 40th season Wednesday with 20 former champions competing for a doubled prize of $2 million. While many of the show’s famous faces are back in action, one particular winner — Season 1 victor Richard Hatch — is conspicuously missing.

In a promotional interview for the new Winners at War season, Survivor host and executive producer Jeff Probst said, “I didn’t feel comfortable having him out on the show and representing a show that is for families,” possibly alluding to Hatch’s affinity for nudity.

Probst also told Us Weekly that he wasn’t sure Hatch had ever seriously been in the conversation for a spot in the Season 40 cast. “The bigger consideration was ‘Where is the show now?’ and ‘Do these 20 winners represent the show today?'” he said. “In that sense, we didn’t feel that Rich fit into the equation.”

Hatch, not surprisingly, disagrees. “Everybody knows the original winner ought to be on Season 40. I should’ve been on,” he said in a recent YouTube video, before contending that he was asked to participate in the all-winners season and completed the entire casting process. “I was told I was the only one who every single producer said they wanted [on the show]. I was golden,” Hatch alleges.

Hatch, who claims he withdrew from a PhD program to participate, says that two days before he was set to fly out to the location, he and Survivor: Australian Outback winner Tina Wesson received phone calls saying “things have been paused.”

Hatch speculates that last fall’s Survivor: Island of the Idols sexual harassment controversy likely doomed his chances to appear return to the game. “During the filming of Season 39, when they recognized things were going to be touchy with respect to sexual harassment, etc., they wondered what it would be like for me, who is a bold figure on the show, to participate in Season 40 and for those conversations to potentially be continued,” said Hatch. “I think they made a horrendous mistake in deciding to change their plan and to remove me from the cast. There’s no sexual harassment in my past.”

Hatch’s Borneo season, which aired in the summer of 2000, was watched by more than 50 million people and became a cultural phenomenon worldwide. Hatch paved the way for reality TV villains and helped lay the foundation for alliance-building and strategy not only for Survivor, but for all subsequent competition series. He also received attention for being openly gay. He played again in Survivor: All-Stars where he appeared to rub against fellow Borneo contestant Sue Hawk while nude during a challenge. Hawk quit the game, but later appeared on The Early Show with Hatch where she said the network helped deal with the situation and that she and Hatch had “come to terms with it and agreed to move forward and past it.”

In a recent tweet, Hatch slammed the “salacious editing” of All-Stars by CBS, adding that the network was “trying to scapegoat me to avoid their own responsibility for the travesty that was last season’s mishandled scenario.”

Hatch is no stranger to controversy. In 2006, he was sentenced to 51 months in federal prison for failing to pay taxes on his winning check and other income. He served three years in 2009 and an additional nine months in 2011 for not amending his 2000 and 2001 tax returns, according to Forbes.

https://tvline.com/2020/02/13/richard-hatch-survivor-winners-at-war-season-40/

• Advertisement

Never realised he managed to get sent down twice on separate occasions for the same tax fraud, what a muppet.

Strong opener by the way, cant complain about that apart from handing the idol to her on the path as previously mentioned.

I can live with Idols being easily found on EoE if it means no Idols are hidden on the main island especially if it means that you can't simply go running around looking for Idols at the back end of the game, make a fire and all of a sudden you are in the final 3.

If Idols can only be gifted from / purchased on EoE it places a bit more weight on the social game which I've no issue with at all.

Also looks like someone arriving late to EoE will have more tokens and is then more likely to afford the advantage to get back into the game which could only be a good thing.

PS: strong opener, cracking cast, wanted Natalie to go deep.

I can live with Idols being easily found on EoE if it means no Idols are hidden on the main island especially if it means that you can't simply go running around looking for Idols at the back end of the game, make a fire and all of a sudden you are in the final 3.

If Idols can only be gifted from / purchased on EoE it places a bit more weight on the social game which I've no issue with at all.

Also looks like someone arriving late to EoE will have more tokens and is then more likely to afford the advantage to get back into the game which could only be a good thing.

PS: strong opener, cracking cast, wanted Natalie to go deep.

Not sure I necessarily agree with that logic regarding the idols. In some cases it could reward good social game but more likely they will get them for just being on the wrong side of the numbers or for simply being a weak player (in order to keep idols away from strong ones).

I don't mind the odd gift but my preference is always for contestants to earn their advantages. It takes a level of skill and risk to find an idol around camp. What did Sandra do for hers, she didn't even speak to Natlie during the game?

The HIIs popping up all over the shop,advantages bought via fire tokens was irksome.

Having an ally on the Edge of Extinction is proving mutually beneficial.

Incredulous that Denise considered gifting gifting Pavarti one half of her HII but Adam is quite the savvy player and talked some sense into her.

Tony is such an entertaining player.Himself and Sara make a powerful combination.Bad read by Kim re Sophie.Cops are us.:D

Serious meltdown from Rob in the IC.

The unquestioning nature of Rob's position as top dog is astonishing.Time for the new school post Danni's self destructive big reveal to take out a Pavarti or Rob.

• Advertisement

Yeah, far too much coverage off HII's and the Main Island/EOE economy in this weeks episode. It's too much when you've got a cast as strong as this.

Amusing how nobody wants to really work with Ben as he's too much of a wildcard.

Was Nick even in a single shot this week outside of TC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Sick of Edge of Extinction already- does this mean that every week, a really powerful advantage will enter the main game? That's crazy. They're could be 10 immunity idols or similar in the game by the time the merge comes around. Why didn't they do a back to basics this season, especially considering that it's all winners. It's not like we would be bored with these people- they are all above average players.

Danni really torpedoed her game didn't she. I wonder if she really was on the outs though and they didn't show more conversations. Because she said since she was in the "old school" alliance following a chat with Boston Rob on Day 1 and that she hadn't heard anything else about that alliance since then. And even Parvati hadn't spoken to her since Day 1. I'd be paranoid too.

Boston Rob and Parvati's pregame alliance is strong! They definitely met up and organised this. I'd love if the merge happened really early, like at 13 players.

I watched episode 2 last night and have to say I found it a little boring. Seems far too easy to find idols although in fairness I'm sure they spend hours searching.

Really hating the fire tokens. I mean idols/advantages seem to be like sweets and anytime Amber can sell something she will offer it to Rob (assuming he still has fire tokens - we know he has 2 at the moment). Seems so unfair.

Anyone know what happens if someone receives an option to buy an item but they don't have enough tokens - can they then ask someone else for theirs (obviously risk in this but I wonder if it is allowed)

So far I was hoping for a truly epic season but I have yet to see it unfortunately.

To get the fire token 'economy' to work they now have to keep dumping advantages from EoE.

I don't like the concept but if they really felt the need to bring it in then I'd much prefer if they started much smaller with what they were offering - like by solving a clue on EoE they could send over a tarp and the person it went to then had to decide whether to be selfish and keep their token or get a tarp for the tribe. Other smaller gifts could be chocolate/burgers/etc before after a few weeks building up to bigger advantages, like idols. It would be like the auction, where you could regret spending your tokens earlier.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    To get the fire token 'economy' to work they now have to keep dumping advantages from EoE.

I don't like the concept but if they really felt the need to bring it in then I'd much prefer if they started much smaller with what they were offering - like by solving a clue on EoE they could send over a tarp and the person it went to then had to decide whether to be selfish and keep their token or get a tarp for the tribe. Other smaller gifts could be chocolate/burgers/etc before after a few weeks building up to bigger advantages, like idols. It would be like the auction, where you could regret spending your tokens earlier.

You should be on the production team! Excellent ideas :)

Fingers crossed next week isn't "For one fire token you can get a guaranteed spot at the final 3"

Episode 3 - enjoyed this episode and the likes of Sarah having to go to the other camp to get the steal a vote advantage. This is how difficult getting advantages through fire tokens should be!!

Can't believe Adam is playing such a silly game, why the hell are you telling everyone all of your alliances plans? Idiot!

Good move getting Ethan out of the trio. Definitely the easiest to target from that group. Hopefully Rob and Parvati are now on edge although I doubt it.

kingtut wrote: »
    Episode 3 - enjoyed this episode and the likes of Sarah having to go to the other camp to get the steal a vote advantage. This is how difficult getting advantages through fire tokens should be!!

Can't believe Adam is playing such a silly game, why the hell are you telling everyone all of your alliances plans? Idiot!

Good move getting Ethan out of the trio. Definitely the easiest to target from that group. Hopefully Rob and Parvati are now on edge although I doubt it.

That move by Adam was very strange. When he was doing it I presumed he must have told most of the rest of his alliance that he planned to inform Rob. Rob is the type of player with no fear in going to tell others and the contestants this season aren't going to take that type of blatant playing both sides.

Great move by the others to take out one of the three rather than Adam though. That trio was much more dangerous, especially with the likelihood of a lot of tribe swaps this season.

The look of surprise on Adam's face at tribal priceless.Trying to play both sides.

Delighted the old school trio got split up.Too much of a Godfather vibe off of Rob.Do as I say,rule by diktat.

Hopefully Sandra will be targeted too.Tad surprised Yul wants did not want to for more basic reasons.She's a dangerous,unpredictable player with her propensity to spread misinformation.Did she not sit out the previous IC too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The "double" sit out rule only comes into effect when there's a seperate reward challenge afaik

I thought the same but then assumed she did the puzzle last week which I don't remember vividly.

A "no back to back sit out" rule that only applies when reward challenges are involved is very silly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement