Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Anyone bought this remote from Ali Express?
    Everything seems to be working except the back button and this is a show stopper for me.
    Wondering anyone else having same issue or any third party air mouse remotes that work.
    Had a minix a2 lite remote but sold that with the old minix box as some buttons didn't work.

I know nvidia remote is Bluetooth so can't synch nvidia remote with this? So I can synch back button

€ 14,72 25%OFF | NEW Smart Remote Conctol For Android TV BOX For Computer With Voice And Backlit Function Air Mouse Keyboard
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/JSH2I4Y

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    So encountering an odd issue with one of my Shields.
    The UK player apps (BBC and ITV) are not appearing on boot.
    Now this is likely a regionalisation/localisation issue but, 2 other shields on the same network aren't having the issue at all.

Language set to English UK, location set to off.
    Have enabled the apps via FX File explorer and they are visible and usable until a reboot and then the issue starts all over again.

The shield has been factory reset and issue persists, even if I do new set up via a UK VPN.

Any ideas?

So further to this one.
    3 Shields in the house, all set up to same Google account and with same Language and IPv6 settings (UK and Off)
    2 Shields display the Local/System built in ITV and BBC apps, 1 doesn't.
    Set region to US and it displays the VuDu and Amazon music apps.
    So factory reset, set up as new and same issue.
    Set to UK, no UK player apps appearing.

Now with FX file explorer I can browse the disabled system apps and renable them, but that change doesn't stick.
    Rather than go with a sideloading option for the apps, I have enabled them in Kodi and will leave the wife get used to them from there.

Just find it a bit odd, maybe one of the units is a grey import unknown to me.
    Issue is well flagged on the shield forum too with other workaround options in case anyone here encounters similar.
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1011733/shield-tv/how-to-fix-the-disappearing-bbc-iplayer-app-for-out-of-region-/

NVIDIA do seem to be locking down the player apps by region.
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4087/~/why-is-bbc-iplayer-app-missing-on-my-shield-tv

Ok got the lifetime RetroX so I can have it before the 28th

Now I know I am going to get slated but I don't have the game controller, yes I should have got it but did not:(

To buy it separately is expensive so any good third party controllers. Seen a few Nvidia contollers on ebay but so many fakes there now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Strange one with VPN unlimited on the shield.

iPlayer won't playback any content, yet itv hub will. Haven't checked Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Ok got the lifetime RetroX so I can have it before the 28th

Now I know I am going to get slated but I don't have the game controller, yes I should have got it but did not:(

To buy it separately is expensive so any good third party controllers. Seen a few Nvidia contollers on ebay but so many fakes there now

Don't waste money on a cheap controller. Get yourself a good Bluetooth 8bitdo, they are supposed to be amazing. Do your research as to which one you need and buy on Amazon for their returns policy

http://www.8bitdo.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BBC are very very good at detecting and blocking VPNs.
    The providers usually try and regularly switch IP or spread locations but they usually get found out.
    I don't use VPN unlimited but usually with other providers it resolves when the provider updates their server IP.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Getflix is working away fine, there was an issue with itv player and 4OD a while back but they resolved it very quickly after I opened a ticket with them

I bought a lifetime subscription for getflix, but I was one of the lads shafted by the deal on here which originally proclaimed any device was covered, and they then changed that to desktop (from memory).

Pain in the proverbial as PayPal sided with them during my dispute, despite screenshots etc.

Did you appeal the PayPal decision ?
    I think that was the reseller that was at fault there if I remember rightly, I paid getflix directly for a 2 year sub and I can’t fault them
    The lifetime sub is a limited subscription I think

Yeah appealed it, it was rejected by them.

I got the impression that PayPal didn't know what in under jaysis getflix even was, and what the service was I supposed to be getting.

They said (stack social I think it was) were offering lifetime subscription, and I had one. Period. And also stacksocial offered me store credit, which I will never ever use.

and to be clear, you're exactly right, getflix didn't shaft me, it was the third party misseling a service as unrestricted, when in reality it was heavily so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

Bbc are working hard to block all the IP addresses used by the companies, best option is a smart dns I beleive
    banie01 wrote: »
    BBC are very very good at detecting and blocking VPNs.
    The providers usually try and regularly switch IP or spread locations but they usually get found out.
    I don't use VPN unlimited but usually with other providers it resolves when the provider updates their server IP.

I don't really want to sidetrack the thread too much, but you'd have to wonder why the BBC are putting so much effort into this or what's in it for them?? I mean, you'd have to imagine that there would be very small numbers involved so I don't know what the VFM is. :confused:

Anyway, back to the Shield talk....

For those who want to game there's a decent Kodi add-on
    https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-video-games/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭BandMember

For those who want to game there's a decent Kodi add-on
    https://www.tvaddons.co/kodi-video-games/

A friend of mine gave me a heads up on this a few weeks ago - just be careful on the instructions with this one or else you'll end wiping your current Kodi set up and ending up with a Beta version of Kodi 18!

I'm gonna wait until there's a stable version of Kodi from the Playstore before I install that add on (or is anyone using it with Kodi 17?). It does look great though! :D

P.S. I thought that Fusion was on the list of repos not to use, or has that changed??

BandMember wrote: »
    A friend of mine gave me a heads up on this a few weeks ago - just be careful on the instructions with this one or else you'll end wiping your current Kodi set up and ending up with a Beta version of Kodi 18!

I'm gonna wait until there's a stable version of Kodi from the Playstore before I install that add on (or is anyone using it with Kodi 17?). It does look great though! :D

P.S. I thought that Fusion was on the list of repos not to use, or has that changed??

I'm already running the beta as it works better with the latest version of Emby

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bbc are working hard to block all the IP addresses used by the companies, best option is a smart dns I beleive
    The devil's BBC

Changed the batteries in my remote last night, and it has become fairly unpredictable since.

Sporadically becomes unresponsive, resulting in me having to remove batteries from time to time, also tried unpairing it (which was fun as I had no control at all for a minute or two:D)

Back working now, but I'm sure it'll happen again.

Has been working perfectly fine since i bought it (march 2017) until now. :confused:

I’m having the same problems here and I’m blaming cheap dealz batteries I had to put in as an emergency until I get decent ones

My batteries were a fiver from Woodie's, only bought yesterday.

Pain in the hoop as it has never caused an issue before.

I think I will have a go at resetting the remote and see if it makes any difference.

My batteries were a fiver from Woodie's, only bought yesterday.

Pain in the hoop as it has never caused an issue before.

I think I will have a go at resetting the remote and see if it makes any difference.

Don't buy cheap batteries. With Energiser or Duracell you'll have no issues.

Don't buy cheap batteries. With Energiser or Duracell you'll have no issues.

Mine were Energiser.

Fiver in woodies.

I have a battery tester here and some batteries go bad for some reason

I don't think it's dead battery issue, they're showing full on the shield setting tab.

I think I'll remove them and reinsert them again, maybe I did something wrong last night and they're just not sitting in place right or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

BandMember wrote: »

Used it in the past on various versions of OpenElec, LibreElec. Was decent enough, never had any issues with it.

Regarding worrying about your Kodi setup being wiped. Just make a copy of Android> Data> org.xbmc.kodi <<<< Just copy that whole (/org.xbmc.kodi) folder on to a flash drive/external hdd.

That way you'll always have a as is backup in case anything went wrong or your setup got wiped. You just uninstall your old botched setup, install the same version of kodi again and the copy back your backup. It's quick to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Panasonic Lithiums are also good quality... were recommended to me by Withings/Nokia customer support to power their fitness watches.

• Advertisement

Remote seems to have given up the ghost now completely:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 podger79

Get on to support they will replace it no problem since its less than a year old,I’m waiting on my replacement now,if you have a old fire stick the remote from them work great that’s what I’m using now

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

No issues with Retrox, not sure where your getting that idea. It works perfect for me. Well worth paying for

Not having PS2 seems a big issue...what games you playing?

Is setup hard?

vargoo wrote: »
    Not having PS2 seems a big issue...what games you playing?

Is setup hard?

I've a collection of 30k games in Retrox on a shared network drive, huge collection of Atari, Amiga, NES, SNES, N64, PSX, PSP, mame, FBA, Genesis, Megadrive, Master System, Dreamcast, GB, GBA, GBC (+_+)

It's easy setup, you just need to organise the games the correct collection folder structure and show Retrox the path to the collection
    http://www.retrox.tv/games/

Actually, to be more precise, I have just discovered that it seems the shield just keeps forgetting it, and not just it, but the games controller too as I've just discovered.

Strange, as they both were going flawlessly until I changed the batteries on the remote on Sunday evening.

Will get on to Nvidia and see if there's a solution. I know I can use my phone as a remote, but that's far too technological for my better half lol.

I’m having the same problems here and I’m blaming cheap dealz batteries I had to put in as an emergency until I get decent ones

Seems to be a known issue caused by the last update.

Apparently a patch to fix is imminent.

Seems to be an excellent alternative to the stock remote.

Links available in the description.

Banggood for the Bluetooth one. @ $7.49

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Been using Retrox for a few weeks and getting a lot of crashes. When run again my games are missing and need to add them again. Anyone have any idea why this might be or advice to fix it.

Just found old ps3 controller but can't find charger lead. Would this work on the shield before I go looking to buy a charger lead.

Tried a few around the house but none charge it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a Harmony controlling my box... don't need voice as theres a poxy assistant thingy in the room as well...

Advertisement