Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-06-2018, 09:53   #91
Foxhound38

Bunsen is the gold standard - it's absolutely perfect, it blows the competition away so thoroughly that in my opinion it's closer to the best burger in Europe than the best burger in Ireland.

Failing that, Wowburger is probably second best. Five Guys is also very tasty in fairness - a bit expensive, but tasty.

I'm not a huge fan of the likes of GBK and that - too many options, and the burgers they serve tend to emphasize pure size and a million toppings over quality ingredients and actual taste. There's no point in a burger you can't even fit into your mouth - or one dripping in BBQ sauce or with a black pudding crowbarred in to make it more Oirish for the tourists.

Last edited by Foxhound38; 13-06-2018 at 10:01.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2018, 09:55   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
Does anybody on this thread know what Bunsen Burger is like?
Yep, we go to the restaurant in Temple bar as a treat. Burgers are excellent, as per my post earlier. Well worth a visit.
13-06-2018, 10:02   #93
Foxhound38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
The Generator in Smithfield
Also a worthy mention - very, very good in fairness.
13-06-2018, 10:11   #94
Foxhound38

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldamo View Post
The ugly duckling which used to be in the epicurean food hall and then moved to georges st mall did an amazing burger.
The guys who ran that are now in the hill pub, i see they do a burger on their menu, if it is anything like the ugly duckling one its amazing

not too wild about bunsen, would probably prefer a wowburger,.

There is a good place operating out of a bar in a business park near clontarf, ah eastpoint business park, blockburger
only went there once, was pretty impressed, but too far out of the way to bother with regularly.

Had a really nice burger in platform 61 south william street, not a burger place, just an option on the menu, the place was cramped and a bit of a temperature nightmare, but the burger really made an impression.

still if i could have the ugly duckling burger again i would be a happy man
Very true - used to work near there and they did a serious burger. That said, the major draw if I was going there was the Po-Boy Sandwhich - unreal grub!
Thanks from:
13-06-2018, 11:06   #95
Pyr0

Send a message via MSN to Pyr0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound38 View Post
Very true - used to work near there and they did a serious burger. That said, the major draw if I was going there was the Po-Boy Sandwhich - unreal grub!
The Po-Boy and the Ugly Ducking we're absolutely amazing! It's a shame the place closed down.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2018, 11:53   #96
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Do you add anything to the meat?
Normally I add some chopped onion and garlic, I did an experiment with adobo (chipotle peppers in a smoky sauce) mixed through it for some extra spiciness. It turned out good.

Not to de-rail this thread but - There's endless burger recipes but the one I've found to be a real crowd pleaser is the following - 400g* of Beef mince with at least 20% fat; add a grated onion, a tablespoon of grated parmesan, a pinch of chili flakes, a tablespoon of ketchup and lots of pepper - don't overwork the meat, keep it as loose as will be managable when grilling and don't overcook obviously. Use your favourite buns, top with Applewood smoked cheese, crispy bacon and whatever else grabs your fancy. I then add a homemade bourbon BBQ sauce to finish them off.

*I used 900g for four burgers last night and pretty much kept the rest of the ingredients the same and they were delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
Five guys haven't been - not going to a shopping centre just to have an over-priced burger.
There's one on George's Street now apparently.

Last edited by Shred; 13-06-2018 at 11:57.
Thanks from:
13-06-2018, 13:51   #97
glasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post

Five Guys

There's one on George's Street now apparently.
you're right - don't think that it's opened yet or is it?

to be honest all the exaggerated hoopla about five guys being franchised here turns me off the whole thing - billionaire Dermot Desmond's son brings burgers to Ireland through American franchise.

It reminds me of when the first Starbucks came here - you'd swear they were bringing coffee to Ireland for the very first time. And Starbucks don't exactly have the best coffee do they?

I think that Bunsen and Wowburger are Irish so I'll stick with them.

have to say that I don't like (as other posters have mentioned) over-complicated burgers with a choice of 40 different combinations - most of the descriptions pale in the light of the first bite.

beyond cheese, bacon and the standard lettuce, onion (grilled/raw), tomato etc it's not adding anything and most often making a burger worse.

good meat + seasonings and a good bun (hard to get right) are the key things to get spot on.
(2) thanks from:
13-06-2018, 14:18   #98
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasso View Post
you're right - don't think that it's opened yet or is it?

to be honest all the exaggerated hoopla about five guys being franchised here turns me off the whole thing - billionaire Dermot Desmond's son brings burgers to Ireland through American franchise.

It reminds me of when the first Starbucks came here - you'd swear they were bringing coffee to Ireland for the very first time. And Starbucks don't exactly have the best coffee do they?

I think that Bunsen and Wowburger are Irish so I'll stick with them.

have to say that I don't like (as other posters have mentioned) over-complicated burgers with a choice of 40 different combinations - most of the descriptions pale in the light of the first bite.

beyond cheese, bacon and the standard lettuce, onion (grilled/raw), tomato etc it's not adding anything and most often making a burger worse.

good meat + seasonings and a good bun (hard to get right) are the key things to get spot on.
I haven't been in town in a few weeks but it apparently opened on May 28th.

In regards to all the other stuff, I get where you're coming from but I don't pay attention to any of that tbh; I heard it was good, tried it and liked it - end of. I will say though that their burgers are definitely not over complicated

Kinell, I'm starting to sound like a shill
13-06-2018, 15:08   #99
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY91 View Post
I'm up to 5 stamps in my 3rd stamp card in chili shack it's simply amazing! The chips are lovely too and their XXX sauce tops it all off at being my favourite burger meal. We're having a chili shack tonight! Surely only a matter of time until they open a branch closer to the city centre? They'll make a fortune.
Yeah I would imagine Chilli Shack are looking for a city centre shop but demand for commercial premises in good footfall areas is huge at the moment and rents are high- if they do set up in the centre then their prices will have to go up because at the moment their bacon cheeseburger and chips at 8.50 is an absolute steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
Not to de-rail this thread but - There's endless burger recipes but the one I've found to be a real crowd pleaser is the following - 400g* of Beef mince with at least 20% fat.
If you really wanna upgrade your home made burgers then you gotta copy what the likes of Bunsen/Wow/Chilli Shack are doing. Ive stopped using supermarket mince altogether because I discovered that youll make a far nicer burger by asking your butcher to mince you up a combination of chuck steak and short rib. Chuck is lean beef from the forequarter whilst short rib is fatty as fcuk. Tell him to aim for 30% fat, it sounds high but 30% will give you that melt in the mouth texture that you wont get by using 20% fat mince from the supermarket. Another option instead of short rib is asking for bone marrow instead, its a very fatty and flavoursome piece of meat which goes great in burgers, many butchers use it in their own burger mixes.

Use a burger press too for consistency across the patty. For sure you can hand shape but it will never be level and some parts of the patty will cook quicker than others. A burger press solves that problem. This burger press is pricey but worth the money, you can adjust the thickness of the burger to suit your preference. I love the flavour of the char on the outside of a burger so now copy Wowburger and make burgers using two patties (with a slice of cheese in between)- using two pattie equals double the char flavour, nom, nom, nom

Last edited by Muahahaha; 13-06-2018 at 15:16.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-06-2018, 15:11   #100
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
Do you add anything to the meat?
Normally I add some chopped onion and garlic, I did an experiment with adobo (chipotle peppers in a smoky sauce) mixed through it for some extra spiciness. It turned out good.
No, to be honest I think I've enough going on as it is.
13-06-2018, 15:16   #101
Feisar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhound38 View Post
Bunsen is the gold standard - it's absolutely perfect, it blows the competition away so thoroughly that in my opinion it's closer to the best burger in Europe than the best burger in Ireland.

Failing that, Wowburger is probably second best. Five Guys is also very tasty in fairness - a bit expensive, but tasty.

I'm not a huge fan of the likes of GBK and that - too many options, and the burgers they serve tend to emphasize pure size and a million toppings over quality ingredients and actual taste. There's no point in a burger you can't even fit into your mouth - or one dripping in BBQ sauce or with a black pudding crowbarred in to make it more Oirish for the tourists.
I'll start by saying I haven't has a Bunsen yet however Byron Burger in Cambridge is epic!
13-06-2018, 15:27   #102
Shred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY91 View Post
I'm up to 5 stamps in my 3rd stamp card in chili shack it's simply amazing! The chips are lovely too and their XXX sauce tops it all off at being my favourite burger meal. We're having a chili shack tonight! Surely only a matter of time until they open a branch closer to the city centre? They'll make a fortune.
Ah yes, that's the place where Boqueria used to be isn't it? I must give it a lash sometime.

As an aside, Boqueria had a good thing going there I thought and tried expanding by going out to the former Big Blue site in Howth but didn't last long after that, which is a shame
13-06-2018, 16:44   #103
LirW

From a picky burger eater that basically thinks only a Cheeseburger is a good burger:

Another gold medal for Bunsen. Their burgers are amazing, their skinny chips are amazing, I just can't stand the unreal amount of obnoxious Yanks in there whenever I'm there. But the food is so good, that I can live with it.

Second is Box Burger in Bray for me, they do some really nice burgers and nachos too. Not mad about their loud music though that they play the whole day.

Haven't had a Wowburger yet and will probably give Chili shack a shot too.

I also think that besides its greasy reputation, Eddie Rocket's do some good burgers. Definitely better than in most places. The downside is that you need to spend time in Eddie Rocket's with bazillion children (I take my own there though, it's easy and good enough) and not a single one seem to have a toilet worthy Western society 2018 standard.

The very best burger is flipped by my lad though, you can taste the passion he puts into.
Thanks from:
13-06-2018, 16:50   #104
McGrath5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LirW View Post
The very best burger is flipped by my lad though, you can taste the passion he puts into.
Which "lad" are you referring to?
(3) thanks from:
13-06-2018, 16:54   #105
LirW

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrath5 View Post
Which "lad" are you referring to?
The guy I'm sharing my bed with
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic