Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Best Burger in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I've been to Bunsen twice. Both times in temple bar. I've left both times wondering wtf the deal is. I don't get the appeal at all.

Out of our 7... I'd say 3 maybe 4 left most of their chips. Too greasy imo.

The burger itself is nice, but again isn't on par with the two burgers and bacon in Wow and better chips.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

humberklog wrote: »
    Just an update on Rick's Burger (mentioned a few times on thread). I popped in for take away lunch recently and was happily surprised that they've changed their chips.
    They were always a lowest common denominator chip and brought the whole menu down. They were like something you'd get from a Chinese van in a pub car park outside Edenderry. In November.

The new ones are more like fries...but a little thicker, but not chips and the oil tasted better too. Hopefully it wasn't a one off as the thoughts of their chips often puts me off going in.

Still a cheap and decent burger option. But now with fries!*

*thick fries, not chips.

We’re calling skinny chips “fries” now? To me “fries” are just what yanks call chips, don’t be brining it into Irish nomenclature.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

BoBos is terrible.

The undisputed kings are Bunsen and Wow but I Honestly think wow trail Bunsen by long way.

Not true. Bobos is magnificent.

I think Bunsen and Wow are both overrated. Although I like them all, burgers are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

yogi37 wrote: »
    Not true. Bobos is magnificent.

I think Bunsen and Wow are both overrated. Although I like them all, burgers are fantastic.
    Bobos is basically a dry over-cooked meatball on a bun, so apologies if I'm not putting too much weight behind your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Has anyone tried Deke's Diner near the east link? I've never actually seen it open but I've been dying to try it for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Bobos is basically a dry over-cooked meatball on a bun, so apologies if I'm not putting too much weight behind your opinion.

That's a perfect description for the Bobos I had recently.

Thank God it was cheap in Groupon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Deke's Diner near the east link? I've never actually seen it open but I've been dying to try it for years!

Truckers are renowned foodies so if he's stayed in the game this long serving them I'm sure the Michelin Star is on its way. The fragrant breezes from Dublin's wastewater treatment plant and incinerator just up the road would make it a perfect spot for alfresco dining. The background symphony of cargo cranes and East Link traffic would be the perfect accompaniment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Simona1986 wrote: »

I've heard good reports, but having had to do a job there for my old job before I wouldn't be eating there in a hurry personally...

My stepdad (trucker) swears by him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone bad mouthing Bunsen needs to add their preference of how they respond when asked how they would like it cooked.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Truckers are renowned foodies so if he's stayed in the game this long serving them I'm sure the Michelin Star is on its way. The fragrant breezes from Dublin's wastewater treatment plant and incinerator just up the road would make it a perfect spot for alfresco dining. The background symphony of cargo cranes and East Link traffic would be the perfect accompaniment.
    Honestly... this is art.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Anyone bad mouthing Bunsen needs to add their preference of how they respond when asked how they would like it cooked.

It just doesn't taste nearly as good as people say. It's fine but disappointing when you're expecting the best burger on planet earth from how people talk about it. It isn't even the best in Dublin.

And the chips are terrible.

It just doesn't taste nearly as good as people say. It's fine but disappointing when you're expecting the best burger on planet earth from how people talk about it. It isn't even the best in Dublin.

And the chips are terrible.
    Note that you didn't answer the question.

I don't think anyone has suggested it's the best on the planet either. It is certainly up there with the best in Dublin though (depending on how you get it cooked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Any time I had Bunsen I was underwhelmed. Have had good and bad burgers pretty much everywhere, there's nowhere I could 100% sure of perfection every time.

That said I'm now a vegetarian, and it's really interesting seeing what places make an effort to cater to that. Wowburger and Bunsen are COMPLETELY out, but Token/Bobos and a few other places have unbelievable veggie ones that beat a standard (as in average, nothing special) beef burger hands down.

Best 'fake' burger is Bossburger from Moodley manor, they have a stall in Bushy Park on Saturdays and you an get them in the Pigs Back on Capel st.

Any time I had Bunsen I was underwhelmed. Have had good and bad burgers pretty much everywhere, there's nowhere I could 100% sure of perfection every time.

That said I'm now a vegetarian, and it's really interesting seeing what places make an effort to cater to that. Wowburger and Bunsen are COMPLETELY out, but Token/Bobos and a few other places have unbelievable veggie ones that beat a standard (as in average, nothing special) beef burger hands down.

Best 'fake' burger is Bossburger from Moodley manor, they have a stall in Bushy Park on Saturdays and you an get them in the Pigs Back on Capel st.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

TOKEN do a Wild Boar Burger that is sublime!
    25591890_10155810652077221_5850064211916990136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=927763846085dac0ce04ccb9510f1e3b&oe=5C26F3A8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ate in the Chilli Shack a few nights ago and it was a big letdown compared to previous experiences. After a 25 minute wait our bacon cheesburgers finally arrived. The chips were way over done and more like crisps. But it was the bacon that ruined it- anytime Ive been before they used streaky bacon proper crisped up. But this time for some bizarre reason the bacon on it was what you would get with a bacon and cabbage dinner, a massive big wet slab of it complete with unrendered fat. It was basically inedible and had no place on a burger. We both took it off and even looking at it in the tray was making me feel nauseous.

To make things even worse they still have not sorted their front door out (the spring hinge doesnt work) and while we were eating about five or six Deliveroo riders came in and out of the place and each time the door would be left open with a chilling wind blowing through the place. My mate remarked that it gave a whole new meaning to the name Chilli Shack. I had to get up and close it twice and another diner did the same, on the fifth occasion he told the Deliveroo guy to go back close it properly. It was a complete headwreck when youre trying to enjoy food. Then I remembered I had to do the same last winter too so this is an ongoing problem with them. The problem wouldnt have mattered during in the summer but it definitely does now.

No bacon, no party!

Note that you didn't answer the question.

I don't think anyone has suggested it's the best on the planet either. It is certainly up there with the best in Dublin though (depending on how you get it cooked)

A pinch of salt and pepper and Bunsen would be great. The lack of seasoning really let’s it down, I’m like a broken record on this.

Token burgers are top notch. Little fellas, but delicious. They’re the only burgers in Dublin I’ve been pleasantly surprised by.

Haven’t had Wow burger.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

CrankyHaus wrote: »

461260.jpg

What's not to love?!

I've never actually met anyone who's eaten there!

Every time I go to Token, it's too crowded. end up having to leave as I just can't get a go in a decent game. Maybe I'll try the food next time since people recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

The food in Token is great! I had a few different things from the menu and I tried their beef burger recently and I loved it.

Every time I go to Token, it's too crowded. end up having to leave as I just can't get a go in a decent game. Maybe I'll try the food next time since people recommend it.

I am not a huge chicken fan, but Token's fried chicken is unreal.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I ve tried Bunsen a few times and it is a good burger but a better concept , well hyped , an aura of authenticity around the product and a limited menu giving higher margins and less room for error and its success is reflected in the increasing number of outlets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The thing that makes bunsen brilliant is the simplicity.
    The patty has 3 ingredients, beef, salt and pepper.
    They pick cuts that have a lot of flavour and blend and mince in house so they have total control of fat content and texture.
    They keep it simple with toppings, no secret sauce, no faff. Pickle, onion, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, mayo, and cheese if you fancy.

Instead of some chef with notions trying to justify charging €15 for a burger by putting a ton of pointless toppings on it they do the near perfect classic burger where the beef is the dominant flavour.

If you want bacon or onion jam or some stupid sauce with 15 different ingredients then it's not the burger you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

get out of here

get out of here

You snowflake meat-eaters are so easily triggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No bacon, no party!

Never liked bacon on a burger, overpowers the beef too much. How did ye get your burger cooked in Bunsen?

No pickles, no party for me.

Never liked bacon on a burger, overpowers the beef too much. How did ye get your burger cooked in Bunsen?

Always like my mince well done tbh. Wouldn't dare of that for a steak mind you :D

So I had Bunsen on Thursday and Wowburger last night - verdict is still Wowburger and also my fiancees preference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AngryLoner

Tried WOWBURGER on Tuesday. Yes, tasty meat and buns, but they take ages to work the queue and then they make you pour your own drinks. I got my friend a Fanta but it was only fizzy water with no syrup in it. When I tried to complain the bouncer told me to shut up and sit down or get out. Now, in his defense, I was a little unsteady on my feet after a night in Whelans, but still: screw those guys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

The queue is my only complaint about wowburger, but Bamboo app has made that easier for lunchtimes

Advertisement