Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

This wouldn't have happened if the OP hadn't highlighted gender in the thread title. It's understandably inflammatory, much like when the media reports "12 people, including 3 women, have been killed in an airstrike".

No its not the same. Typically an incident with one individual is described using their gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pc do gooders don't exist, neither does pc, and they're is nothing wrong with being a do gooder. the government make the decisians, and they do not wish to fund enforcement of the law. nothing to do with personal computers.

absolutely. protest, make it an election issue the next time they're is an election and the politicians come looking for votes.

we all ready do. it's the likes of you who throw out sound bites and rant rather then read what was written.

not route causes your hole. route causes are very important to deal with the issue.

You go up to connolly memorial hospital to kym owens bed amd talk to her family about the root causes of this crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This wouldn't have happened if the OP hadn't highlighted gender in the thread title. It's understandably inflammatory, much like when the media reports "12 people, including 3 women, have been killed in an airstrike".

I didn't highlight the victim's gender to provoke people, but I do regard it as particularly cowardly to attack women, old people or children. That said, I was brought up with the maxim 'do unto others as you would have them do to you', so I am appalled by anybody attacking anybody regardless of their sex.

Why do some poster think that punishing a crime and preventing it need to be linked.

By the time the crime has happened its to late to prevent. No proof shows that prison sentences work. So hang the scum who done this. See of we have more success. Silure if we dont ot one more scumbag off the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why do some poster think that punishing a crime and preventing it need to be linked.

By the time the crime has happened its to late to prevent. No proof shows that prison sentences work. So hang the scum who done this. See of we have more success. Silure if we dont ot one more scumbag off the streets.

If you could be executed for beating someone up then you'd probably kill them anyway to avoid detection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No its not the same. Typically an incident with one individual is described using their gender.

They should have just used the word "man" or "woman" then. Sticking a gender adjective next to a noun like "student" smacks of highlighting.

Regardless, read my post on the other page. Entire thread misses the point, issue here is that these f*ckers will get a slap on the wrist and feel emboldened to do it again, because we don't properly punish crime in Ireland until people are already hardened criminals because they weren't dealt with when they were younger. Assault doesn't get you a jail sentence until you do it a hundred times and permanently scar somebody. Country is a joke in that regard.

eviltwin wrote: »
    If you could be executed for beating someone up then you'd probably kill them anyway to avoid detection.

I think they did try to kill the youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Of course, but would you agree that in Ireland our criminal penalties are a joke? I'm quite confident that I could beat seven shades of sh!te out of multiple people, multiple times and probably wouldn't see the inside of a cell until my conviction count had reached the double digits. Remember those twelve scumbags who raided a family's house, beat the father up in front of the kids and left them so traumatised that they couldn't live at home anymore? They all got sentences which would have been more fitting of a non violent robbery. 12 years, but 7 suspended? F*cking unbelievable.

There's still the possibility of a good stretch in prison even f our judges don't seem inclined to impose it, and the people who do this kind of thing are not inclined to be generous and let someone live if it came down to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

Saw a photo of the victim, Kym, just there. In what looks to be her Debs dress.
    She's just a slip of a girl. 5'3 and as slim as anything. :(
    I get a sinking feeling this may not have been just a random attack. Hopefully she can give gardai enough information to catch who did this.
    Poor girl and her poor family, I wish her a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I get a sinking feeling this may not have been just a random attack. Hopefully she can give gardai enough information to catch who did this.

Poor kid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I agree. The extent of the facial injuries indicates rage to me, not the usual random punch where the victim's injuries are caused by hitting their head on the pavement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The poor girl, I hope she fully recovers from this horrible incident. This attack has left me a little bit shook as I spend time in the area - same as the rape near my home a few months ago. It definitely makes you think about how vulnerable you are. It's not the first time there have been assaults in the town though. I received many warnings from the university when I was last in college there, following a spate of random attacks at the time - one was fairly serious I think but none as vicious as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I hope the bastard who did this gets caught and there name published all over the papers.

They have ruined this girl's life, she won't be able to feel safe again for a long time, whoever did this should have the same. The judges won't do anything about it, the media have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

My daughter goes to Maynooth college, she telling me tonight there is a lot of scared folks around, including her.

I'm less than five foot and I'm slightly built. If a guy over 6ft decides he wants to beat me half to death it's likely (but not a given) that I'll come out worse than if he decided to beat the daylights out of another guy of a similar size with better chance of defending himself.

Other than that, it's an horrific attack and the gender is completely secondary to that. It would be equally horrific if it was a guy left with those injuries and I hope this poor girl makes a good recovery and the culprit is brought to justice, the same as I would if it was a male victim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This wouldn't have happened if the OP hadn't highlighted gender in the thread title.

It's only inflammatory to an overly sensitive subsection of the population.

Best of luck to the young woman, speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭mattser

Graham wrote: »
    What nonsense. It's only inflammatory to an overly sensitive subsection of the population.

Best of luck to the young woman, speedy recovery.

Exactly. Things seriously derailed on here. Best of luck to the girl and her family, indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

It's absolutely horrific to even think about what poor Kym went through. It's as if whoever attacked her really did their best to kill her. It's really frightening to think that person or persons who attacked her are still out there walking around. I hope Kym recovers physically very soon. Her mental recovery will take a lot longer though. Best wishes to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Female and student in the title.. no wonder there's uproar.

Unconscious bias indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

sullivlo wrote: »
    Don't see why her gender is relevant to the story. It would be horrific for it to happen to anyone, regardless of their gender.

It was discussed at length on the radio yesterday. Local councillors were all over the story promising changes. Changes that they promised years ago when they were elected.

There's not a lot else to discuss. It's in the hands of the Gardai now, and hopefully incidents like this don't happen again.

Seriously, why have you made a specific point about gender? This thread could have been about discussing the inccident until you brought a complete ****storm down on it.

"Female student beaten up in Maynooth."

What's wrong with that title? Its a fact.

PC BS and thanked by 50 odd other PC keyboard warriors just out of nappies or forgot they wore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Grandeeod wrote: »
    PC BS and thanked by 50 odd other PC keyboard warriors just out of nappies or forgot they wore them.
    Some of the posters who thanked the post will be outraged by that description:pac:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the thread title.

I do think the posts about how a man would have been less affected by it are unfair, and probably what started the diversion.

But I wish people would just shut about it now.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I didn't highlight the victim's gender to provoke people, but I do regard it as particularly cowardly to attack women, old people or children. That said, I was brought up with the maxim 'do unto others as you would have them do to you', so I am appalled by anybody attacking anybody regardless of their sex.

You did nothing wrong. You are simply a victim of the new way of doing things. Funnily enough the general population in here rediculing you have no problem describing what was done to them sexually or what they did to another sexually be they any gender. You know the way it is in AHs. You can fook a horse, sheep, cow, man or women, but never ever mention gender or sexual orientation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

osarusan wrote: »
    Some of the posters who thanked the post will be outraged by that description:pac:

I do think the posts about how a man would have been less affected by it are unfair, and probably what started the diversion.

This is AH. A student having the crap beaten out of them is bad but referring to the victim by his or her gender is worse.

I don't care!:D

My take on the majority of those posts wasn't that if would "affect" a man any different.....it wouldn't. and anyone without an agenda or massive chip or their shoulder would clearly know that(thats why I didnt bother replying to any of them and none of this is directed at you btw :)).

Broken eye sockets and jaws know no gender.

What I took them to mean was that a man might have a better chance in a similar attack.
    That poor girl hadn't a chance given her size and stature.
    I think ANYONE with an iota of common sense can see the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You did nothing wrong. You are simply a victim of the new way of doing things. Funnily enough the general population in here rediculing you have no problem describing what was done to them sexually or what they did to another sexually be they any gender. You know the way it is in AHs. You can fook a horse, sheep, cow, man or women, but never ever mention gender or sexual orientation.

I know, I know - I'm just back from a week long ban on the Radio forum for being 'antediluvian' on the Off the Ball thread of all things. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,328 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

An attacker would in my opinion be a lot less likely to attempt to attack a 6 ft male than he would be to attack a 5 ft 3 ins female.
    Of course gender matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My daughter goes to Maynooth college, she telling me tonight there is a lot of scared folks around, including her.

She's fine. I've lived in maynooth for 20 years and it's one of the safest places you can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Join the dots folks.

Seems the perp was on the bus with her according to reports. Digruntled lover/bf or something who knows?

Bet this will be done and dusted within a week. Person got off bus and was going to College there too obviously, otherwise why travel to Maynooth from Monaghan on a private bus. But there may be more to the story.

I don't think it was random at all. But what do I know.

Mods, if you feel my comments are not within the charter, delete. thanks.

Seems the perp was on the bus with her according to reports. Digruntled lover/bf or something who knows?

That was one possibility Gardai were investigating. Have there been more recent developments?

Graham wrote: »
    That was one possibility Gardai were investigating. Have there been more recent developments?

Not that I know of. But am convinced that the signal about the attacker possibly having been on the same bus is important.

If it transpires that the perpetrator was on the same bus and followed the girl home, how could that be "random"

All the way from Monaghon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I would image that there was some DNA found under the victims fingernails which would indicate some element of a struggle. The attacker(s) will more than likely have some form of scraps or scratches based on how it was worded on the news report.

God :(

That's very shocking.

It's gone very ''C.S.I Ballyboggin'' around here though.

God :(

That's very shocking.

It's gone very ''C.S.I Ballyboggin'' around here though.

If you weren't involved or worried I'm sure you might think that, but it is worrying for students walking home in the Winter.

Doesn't have to be the dead of night, it's dark at 4.30pm now.

• Advertisement

If you weren't involved or worried I'm sure you might think that, but it is worrying for students walking home in the Winter.

Doesn't have to be the dead of night, it's dark at 4.30pm now.

As I said, I find it shocking.
    Just a little joke.

As I said, I find it shocking.
    Just a little joke.

No worries. Hope the girl is ok, and the attacker is found. I'm sure that will be the case. Hints all around in the media and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

When I think of my three younger sisters who were all past college students living away from home and did get buses back to digs on Sunday evenings like this poor girl, reading this sends a chill down my spine at the thought that they would ever have had to suffer an ordeal like this.

Someone questioned the relevance of the gender in reporting the story but while it would be equally awful if it happened to anyone, male or female, you cannot deny that women are generally more vulnerable to being overpowered by a male assailant than men and that is why the horror of what happened is particularly upsetting.

I hope she recovers from her injuries soon and that the assailant is caught and gets the justice he truly deserves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

ongarboy wrote: »
    When I think of my three younger sisters who were all past college students living away from home and did get buses back to digs on Sunday evenings like this poor girl, reading this sends a chill down my spine at the thought that they would ever have had to suffer an ordeal like this.

Never mind students travelling back to digs on a Sunday night my oldest (19) attends Maynooth and Im even terrified of her walking home to the house after this even though its only a 15 minute walk.
    Last night she went for a few pints after college and I didnt sleep a wink until she was safely home.

I hope this scumbag is caught and receives the maximum sentence allowed for this assault (attempted murder possibly??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Am local in Moyglare Abbey. Gardai going door to door this evening. Spoke to a Garda this evening. Wanted to know of the household's whereabouts on Sunday night. Wanted to know if we had seen or heard anything untoward. We did not. Thing is, though Moyglare Abbey is a very quiet estate, it's a busy one with lots of comings and goings. However, it was very cold and very, very foggy on Sunday night making the place very still. I imagine most residents - like me - have the hatches battened down for the night with the heat on and watching the telly. It's also quite a narrow, but deep estate. I'm at least half a km to the entrance - where the attack happened.

Now, the severity of this attack is not necessarily coming across in the reporting. The Garda told us she's in a very, very bad way - critically, life-threateningly injured. His words. She has not regained consciousness since the attack. An attack like this may leave her with no recollection of what happened to her and by whom - so we were told.

Lastly, this is very, very unusual for this estate, let alone town. Student levels in this estate is low - mostly owner occupied and a few professional rentals. The estate is made up of large detached houses and an equal amount of semi D's. It's very child friendly with lots of green space and lots of kids to fill them. It's very settled and suburban - lots of moms with SUVs and minivans and lots of Dads with BMWs and Audis. We're all in shock and all very upset for this young woman.

Maynooth has of course the expected anti-social stuff in the chippers at chucking out time most weekends however, this level of violence is a new one on me and I'm here 20 years.

So, that's it. I just thought I'd share.

• Advertisement

known to her attacker is common parlance.

Could be true.

Dublin Bus does not even go into the campus anymore.

Does anyone know why this is?

Did it ever go into the campus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

pilly wrote: »
    No-one is trying to say a man wouldn't be scared but are you really saying that you wouldn't be more likely to be able to defend yourself?

That's the point I'm trying to make really, some people, (maybe both men and women) are able to defend themselves better.

I suppose I'm coming from the angle of picturing my tiny 23 year old daughter vs my 6ft 3in son and I know he certainly would be much better capable of defending himself. And he has actually had a knife held to his throat for a phone so I'm not condoning attacks on men either.

This isn't a men vs women issue but if men can't see how it would be more horrific for a young 18 year old girl then maybe therein lies part of the problem.

I know either of my sons would take a beating rather than have their sister endure one.
    When theyre attacking you with a baseball bat it doesn't matter what your gender is, it will be equally horrific no matter what size the victim is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm a student in Maynooth the last 3 years (in 4th year now).

I don't recall Dublin bus ever going into the campus, nor do I see a reason for them to. There are already Dublin bus stops around the place in Maynooth.

Dozens of private buses come into the campus.

wakka12 wrote: »
    When theyre attacking you with a baseball bat it doesn't matter what your gender is, it will be equally horrific no matter what size the victim is

Leave it there, eh? :)

Story is about a girl who is (by the account of an above poster who spoke with gardai on the estate earlier) in a very critical condition.
    Gender wars can be fought any day of the week in here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My son said yesterday that she was in an induced coma but as that could be hearsay I didn't mention it before but if the gardai are saying she is in a critical condition then it may well be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Witchie wrote: »
    My son said yesterday that she was in an induced coma but as that could be hearsay I didn't mention it before but if the gardai are saying she is in a critical condition then it may well be true.

I heard in several reports that she's not been conscious since the attack? And so hasn't been able to speak to gardai. But Im sure there were reasons why they used the word not conscious rather than in a coma in the articles, maybe they meant just not fully with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Read this in the paper today.
    Her face smashed.
    Poor thing. Hope she recovers mentally from it.
    What is wrong with people that whatever is inside them is expressed in smashing someone else's skull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

wakka12 wrote: »
    I heard in several reports that she's not been conscious since the attack? And so hasn't been able to speak to gardai. But Im sure there were reasons why they used the word not conscious rather than in a coma in the articles, maybe they meant just not fully with it

Maybe they don't want to use the words induced coma or maybe she is flitting in and out of consciousness. I don't know. As I say my son knows some of her secondary school classmates and this is what they are hearing but might not be fully reliable. Whatever the case it isn't good that she is not fully awake.
    Read this in the paper today.
    Her face smashed.
    Poor thing. Hope she recovers mentally from it.
    What is wrong with people that whatever is inside them is expressed in smashing someone else's skull.

Agreed but she needs to recover physically first. 🙁

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement