Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily weirdness of others

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Silo18 wrote: »
    While walking towards automated doors, I'll sometimes pretend to have Jedi powers that allow me to open the doors using The Force.

I'll sometimes use a small hand gesture and try to time it to coincide with the door actually opening.

I keep the gesture subtle though because, obviously as a Jedi, that **** is no big deal.

Plus, I don't want people thinking I'm a weirdo.

I'm 41.
    I do something similar with the doors in work. They are hinged double doors that are automated. Sometimes the doors are closing as I approach them and I like to dart between them before they close so I can hum the Indiana Jones theme tune. I'm almost 40 and a manager. :pac::D

Another version is when opening a firedoor, You MUST climb the adjoining 2 flights of stairs before the Fire Door closes
    If you do not make this in time, you will obviously fall into a river of Lava

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Silo18

Can't believe there's so many other people who do the Jedi thing with doors!

I'm either not as weird as I feared or there's loads of other weirdos posting in the thread.

It's option 2 isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm either not as weird as I feared or there's loads of other weirdos posting in the thread.

It's option 2 isn't it?

Yes indeed it is. Wibble. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It's option 2 isn't it?

We're all weird here m'dear. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is it weird that sometimes in work I'll bust out a dance move to a tune I like on the radio,my workmates think it's gas except one who is so straight laced it's actually weird.
    Sometimes when I'm dragged to do the shopping with the missus,I'll get the trolly,build up a bit of speed and 'surf' across the carpark or down an aisle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I sat beside a guy in work for seven years who got his lunch in canteen upstairs and brought to his desk. There was a trolley downstairs to go back to upstairs but you should have cleaned your plates etc as small kitchen there. He used to scratch his back with his fork and licking and send back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thirteen pages later and I still have the Wichita line from Seven Nation Army stuck in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Oh and my best friend rehearses telephone conversations. Not very important ones even. But on my patio will walk up one way conversing in one voice and on way back in different accent. Even about shopping lists! Phone at ear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

I sometimes consciously count my fingers and toes without looking at them to make sure they are still there. Been at it 30 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cycling home occasionally morphs into a stage in the Tour De France, in which I manage to execute a ride of such tactical ingenuity and incredible stamina that even the most seasoned observers of competitive cycling are simply stunned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Thirteen pages later and I still have the Wichita line from Seven Nation Army stuck in my head.

That's just a Line,man.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Occasionally like to provide F1 style commentary when I'm driving.

Such as:
    "clean get away at the lights" "tight line through there" "Is she close enough to enable DRS?"
    I would find it very strange if there was dead silence when I'm driving on my own in the car, even with the radio on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I used to work with a girl who would eat a whole red pepper for her lunch and bite into it like it was an apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

anna080 wrote: »
    I used to work with a girl who would eat a whole red pepper for her lunch and bite into it like it was an apple

I`ll see your pepper and raise it one onion.

In other words, I know a man who bites into an onion like its an apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've a cousin who doesn't drink water as a normal person would, glass or bottle here and there. If he's thirsty, he has a beer or a mug of tea.

Every two months or so, he'll go out and buy a 5L bottle of water and drink the whole thing in one sitting. And he'll only use a straw until the water depth is too low.

He will then pan out on his bed holding his wee until he's about to burst and piss it all out. He claims it leaves him feeling very hydrated for a few days.

In other words, I know a man who bites into an onion like its an apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What about the person who opens a door to see someone they're avoiding, pretends they're just inspecting the door then goes back to where they came from. Just another day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Stigura

IK09 wrote: »
    This isnt something I have experience of, but one of my friends works with someone he refers to as "The Phantom".

That made it worth reading six pages! LOL-1.gif Thanks for that one!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dial Hard wrote: »

What I think is weird about this is how so many people stay with the default 15 posts per page and don't change it to 40.

Zaph wrote: »
    What I think is weird about this is how so many people stay with the default 15 posts per page and don't change it to 40.

I don't think people know about it. Pain in the tits until someone explained it to me.

And I'd be one of those weirdos that digs straight into the settings to see what there is, never knew it existed.

About 3/4 ways down for anyone wondering.

Works on touch too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Zaph wrote: »

just did it. sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

elefant wrote: »
    In my previous job:

I was using one of the urinals in the men's bathroom. There was nobody else in the bathroom that I could see as I entered, but apparently one of my good colleagues was in one of the stalls.

I learned this when I head a splash emanating from trap 1 and a triumphant exclamation in an Andy Gray-esque Scottish accent- 'GET OUT!'

We have someone similar where work, except that at the moment of splashdown you get to hear a very satisfied and drawn out "AWWW YEAH". I've personally witnessed this a couple of times and eventually when someone dared to mention it it seems that most of the office has also witnessed it.

Zaph wrote:

Dude, I'm on the app. It won't even show me all my own posts.

In fact I couldn't even edit the post above without losing the quote, so...

*insert pot/kettle reference here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I fully wash everything before I put it in the dishwasher. Is that weird?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

A neighbour hides his chocolate bars and biscuits in the loft so that if a visitor came there is no chance of them eating one.

I eat lidl barbeque coated peanuts so that my mouth gets all dry and then i drink Lucozade, it is a great feeling to make yourself thirsty and then pour the Lucozade down your throat,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I used to work with a girl like that too, horrible fat ginger creature, would always try to get one up on someone else

i e; a colleague would pass accountancy exams - she would know someone who came first in the country or won an award. Someone went on a nice holiday - she went there too and had access to a nice villa and would go out on a yacht. Someone brings a homemade cake to work - she would know someone who owned an artisan cake shop and would do the cake differently. It was all bull****.

So you have met my sister in law then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Pyr0 wrote: »
    A lad i used to work with had a rip on the elbow of every shirt he wore to work, it wasn't the same shirt as he'd have about 4 or 5 different colours and it was always on the same arm. I never asked him about it as he always seemed like the kinda chap that would walk into the office some day and shoot the place up.

I hate that attitude, people always say that it is the weird ones that should be watched then when some shooting or crime happens they say "he was such a normal guy" so really its the normal ones who should be watched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

cantdecide wrote: »
    People get very weird in the bathroom.

I used to live in a house that appeared to be made of papier mache and amplifiers and every morning, a housemate used to go pee but within seconds of the door shutting, you'd hear the toilet flush. There was always a slight yellowness to the bowl afterwards. I mean, everyone know how toilets work, right???

Playing "Beat the flush" is my guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

ablelocks wrote: »
    when my kids were small, I used to do this for them.

I also trained them to develop and use their force to do it too.

The time my youngest fella "successfully" tried it on an automated revolving door was great craic...he was only 4 at the time and thought he was destined for galactic greatness...

Sometimes if I'm getting out of a lift I pretend to push the doors apart with pure brute strength even though they're opening anyway.
    And if I'm in a lift on my own I have to jump up and down to make it wobble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I'm guilty of this-for some reason, I flush before I'm finished, I try to save time :( it doesn't work, because then I have to wait for the flush to finish and see if there's any yellow left... it's very frustrating.....
    cantdecide wrote: »
    People get very weird in the bathroom.

I used to live in a house that appeared to be made of papier mache and amplifiers and every morning, a housemate used to go pee but within seconds of the door shutting, you'd hear the toilet flush. There was always a slight yellowness to the bowl afterwards. I mean, everyone know how toilets work, right???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Colleague who goes on the morning break does the same thing every day.
    Comes into kitchen, sits down and starts eating, then gets up and makes tea and sits back down again, then goes out of room to go toilet and comes back and resumes eating. Every morning - wrecks my head this constantly getting up and down.

Feck feck feck we must work in same company !!!!!

Head wrecking guy comes in for break, sits down , takes mug out of lunch box, gets back up to make tea , sits back down , usually within a min gets back up to make a call on phone , sits back down ........... But then usually just buts into who evers having conversation with a funny story about his wife, his kids his wife, then his kids ....

Ggggrrrrrr w@nker!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

In other words, I know a man who bites into an onion like its an apple.[/QUOTE

Mate of mine eats tomatoes like that 😣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

I used to have a neighbour who'd bring her cat for a walk around the estate, on a leash. I suppose it makes sense for a 100% domesticated cat.
    tupenny wrote: »
    Mate of mine eats tomatoes like that ��

Are you sure it wasn't some Tomacco?

tomacco.jpg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Have read 16 pages and all the way through I am racking my brain trying to think of odd things people I know do each day and came up with nothing.

This no doubt means that I am the office weirdo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

An old housemate used to religiously eat bread sandwiches. What's wrong with that you may ask. Well, there was never any filling, no butter or anything, just 2 slices of bread put together as if it were a sandwich.

In fact we even noticed them making toast sandwiches where the filling was just an un-toasted slice of bread.

Bread-bread-man had many other quirks, but I'd never witness anything like this ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Feck feck feck we must work in same company !!!!!

Head wrecking guy comes in for break, sits down , takes mug out of lunch box, gets back up to make tea , sits back down , usually within a min gets back up to make a call on phone , sits back down ........... But then usually just buts into who evers having conversation with a funny story about his wife, his kids his wife, then his kids ....

Ggggrrrrrr w@nker!!!!!!

It's a pain having to put with these people for even 15 mins a day at break - a daily annoyance.

Can we gather up all these head wreckers and throw them all into the same workplace? That would do nicely ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

heldel00 wrote: »
    I fully wash everything before I put it in the dishwasher. Is that weird?

Not necessarily weird, I know other people who do it too, but it's an entirely futile exercise. The enzymes in the dishwasher detergent need food residue on the dishes to work properly, so they're not getting any cleaner in the dishwasher and you've just wasted time and energy hand washing them. Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's a pain having to put with these people for even 15 mins a day at break - a daily annoyance.

Can we gather up all these head wreckers and throw them all into the same workplace? That would do nicely ;)

I must be in the same place,a few of us having a conversation and boom...."you never guess what my kids did",we don't care mate,you ask us the same thing every day and ruin our conversation. Talk about something more interesting, we aren't in a parenting class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

I work in civil service so you can imagine the weirdness that goes on here :D

There is one lady that barks out the window at colleagues that go walking on lunch break...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Funk It wrote: »
    An old housemate used to religiously eat bread sandwiches. What's wrong with that you may ask. Well, there was never any filling, no butter or anything, just 2 slices of bread put together as if it were a sandwich.

In fact we even noticed them making toast sandwiches where the filling was just an un-toasted slice of bread.

Bread-bread-man had many other quirks, but I'd never witness anything like this ever again.

Perhaps they read this:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-15752918

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,314 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I worked in a computer shop years ago. Every day a girl who worked in Dunnes used to come in during her lunch break and play solitaire on one of the display computers. She never said a word to anyone, she'd just stand there for an hour and play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

We did ;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

nookie wrote: »
    Few years ago when my gf was in college she used to rent a room in a house owned an older single lady who by all accounts led quite a lonely existence. To counter this she had a tiny little rat dog thing that she would talk incessantly to all day and make cups of tea for etc.

But that's not the weird bit - oh no....

...transpired that every Christmas she would take the dog down to the local shopping centre to let the dog have it's photo taken with Santa Claus. This picture would then be framed and hung up somewhere in the house.

Still to this day the most tragic sight that I can possibly imagine is this woman standing in line surrounded by familys and screaming kids etc - just her and her wee dog waiting to see Santa.

I kinda love the idea of someone who would poke their finger at the world and do that! And think enough of her pet to have the balls to do it! No doubt all her relations git the annual picture to put in the mantlepiece with all the kids & got the craic out of it too. genius idea! Did she dress the dog up! Loving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We had a Phantom Picker in work, probably not as bad as a ****ter but pretty rank all the same. They would have a good auld pick of their nose while sitting on the throne and then deposit / wipe their dirty snot on the wall.... after a few weeks there was a field of dried green snot on the wall.

I cracked one day and sent an "all staff" email asking the Phantom Picker to cease his harvesting. The email worked, god bless the poor cleaning lady that had to tackle the wall though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

PARlance wrote: »
    We had a Phantom Picker in work, probably not as bad as a ****ter but pretty rank all the same. They would have a good auld pick of their nose while sitting on the throne and then deposit / wipe their dirty snot on the wall.... after a few weeks there was a field of dried green snot on the wall.

I cracked one day and sent an "all staff" email asking the Phantom Picker to cease his harvesting. The email worked, god bless the poor cleaning lady that had to tackle the wall though.
    I was in a public sector office before Xmas, where there was a sign on the wall above the urinal reading something like;

"Please stop wiping your nose contents on the wall, out of respect to the people who have to clean up after you."

Are these people adults or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I was in a public sector office before Xmas, where there was a sign on the wall above the urinal reading something like;

"Please stop wiping your nose contents on the wall, out of respect to the people who have to clean up after you."

Are these people adults or what?

It does boggle the mind - I cannot recall how many times I've gone to use the toilet at work only to find the actual seat covered in piss, and not just one or two spots here or there but the entire seat covered, all the way around, in piss - but that's not weird, it's plain disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

I kinda love the idea of someone who would poke their finger at the world and do that! And think enough of her pet to have the balls to do it! No doubt all her relations git the annual picture to put in the mantlepiece with all the kids & got the craic out of it too. genius idea! Did she dress the dog up! Loving it!

I love people like this as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

When it comes to toilet manners some people are absolutely shocking. I often wonder what the home jax would be like after seeing some of the public displays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement