Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Guess what it's dark wet miserable night again here. So disappointing we've had 2 really good days here in July. The rest have been gloomy in the main at times wet with an odd average day like sat and Sunday just gone. The great weather talked about by some here I really think is the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

My rainfall is up to 26.0mm now, still only 53% of the LTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have had over 80mm of rain in Castlebar so far, still half the amount we had last July, but it looks like the fourth July straight we will have had over 90mm of rain.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My rainfall is up to 26.0mm now, still only 53% of the LTA.

Comparing with previous Julys

2016: 26.0mm
    2015: 81.2mm
    2014: 16.6mm
    2013: 73.3mm
    2012: 101.8mm
    2011: 18.1mm
    2010: 67.7mm
    2009: 163.9mm
    2008: 105.2mm
    2007: 116.5mm
    2006: 4.4mm (Yes, only 4.4mm - all recorded on ONE DAY the 8th)

Months with less than 10mm include: September 2014, March 2011, December 2010, April 2007, July 2006, August 2003, January 1997, August 1995, May 1991, July 1989, September 1986 and February 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sligo = rained most of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

18 degrees here at the moment, humid and sticky. Sunday night we had some relief after weeks of the same but it's back to what seems to be the norm here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

So far July rain is over 115% in Malin Head but only 45% in parts of the East

Shows what we already know

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why is it the east seems to be getting drier and the west seems to be getting wetter?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Why is it the east seems to be getting drier and the west seems to be getting wetter?

Because we're further away from the Atlantic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Because we're further away from the Atlantic.....

Think about what I said.

The West is seemingly getting wetter than its LTA and the east is getting drier than its LTA, why?

Of course the east is drier than the West, that's not what I asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Absolutely miserable weather in Kerry.

So a heatwave in the USA is powering up the jet stream and it looks like we could be in for some very windy periods through early August as a result of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mid to high 30's here all week. Dropping to mid 20's at night.
    Not a cloud in the sky :)

Mid to high 30's here all week. Dropping to mid 20's at night.
    Not a cloud in the sky :)

Where's "here"?

Think about what I said.

The West is seemingly getting wetter than its LTA and the east is getting drier than its LTA, why?

Of course the east is drier than the West, that's not what I asked.

Again that goes back to my point... the lows come from the Atlantic. Throughout much of this month as it normally does, lows have been pushing from west to east and they get weaker as they push eastwards. Like in 2011, Scotland had its wettest year on record. Plenty of low pressures push into Scotland with heavy rain but by the time they reached England, they have only a little rain on them but by this stage, mostly a band of cloud. Same thing happens here.

I will talk about a different month here when the east was wetter than its LTA and the west was drier than its LTA, August 2014. In August 2014, many low pressures either came from the north or southeast which meant that eastern regions got mostly affected by them. This month was a totally different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Where's "here"?
    Portugal . 10 days to go and then back to a cold wet summer :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drizzly muck here this morning, having said that I haven't seen a proper shower of rain in what seems like weeks, perhaps the first week of July was last time we saw proper rain.

The start of August is looking cool and unsettled, plenty of showers and rain all next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Beggar all rain in Arklow again
    Suns out now so expecting another 20c or higher soon
    Scraped a 20 yesterday
    Currently 19.1c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

20.1c here atm in Dublin 16. 15th successive day recording 20c+.

Have had 22 days (so far) this month with 20c+ as opposed to just 13 days for (all of) July 2015.

That, in my view = a 'good' July/Summer. :)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    20.1c here atm in Dublin 16. 15th successive day recording 20c+.

Have had 22 days (so far) this month with 20c+ as opposed to just 13 days for (all of) July 2015.

That, in my view = a 'good' July/Summer. :)

Well aren't you lucky... I only had 4 days of 20c+ last July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most of our weather comes from the Atlantic

and the east coast is further away from the Atlantic than the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just 16.1C in Castlebar and nearly 10mm of rain today already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

21.3c and sunny
    That's a couple of weeks with every day above 20
    Just beautiful tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

24C here, SW wind effect, lovely sunny afternoon, no rain overnight or today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Up to 63degrees today in Sligo

At least if I write Farenheit 145 of the past 170 hours raining wont seem so bad

And the worst thing is rain is mainly light with only some heavy bursts so wetter years like 2007 - 2012 5 years of Summer rain still well ahead.

pauldry wrote: »
    Up to 63degrees today in Sligo

At least if I write Farenheit 145 of the past 170 hours raining wont seem so bad

And the worst thing is rain is mainly light with only some heavy bursts so wetter years like 2007 - 2012 5 years of Summer rain still well ahead.

2011 wasn't all that wet, it surely wasn't settled. 2010 had quite a few dry periods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 peckdunn

Heading to Donegal next week. Don't think we are going to have nice weather ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

only 18C here today and raining on and off every few minutes, majority of it drizzle.

I think judging by comments here much of the country especially the west has had an average or slightly below average July with only a few days that gave a feeling of summer. The west did much better mid May to mid June. Certainly here in Meath this July is nicer than last year's July with plenty of days of 20C or above, although July did get off to a very poor start here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are there any met stations in the south east other than Roche's Point?

Huge contrast between east and west/south with nice sunny spells in east and cloudy and very humid weather in the west/south.

The humid weather is a killer. You can't do anything and constant threat of drizzle means it is very hard to dress for it - constantly taking off and putting on jackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

Anyone like to throw a guess as to what the weather will be like over the next 2/3 weeks?

What are the long range models showing?

Any improvement on the horizon?
    Some farming work that i need to get done and need some dry weather for it..

Thanks.

Advertisement