Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High winds and heavy rain in places this week (Discussion Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Windy in Castlebar,alot of leafs down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

On the radar you can see the 'hook' of the low stretching into Galway Bay.

If we had a visible satellite imagery it would look quite well structured.

Interested to hear any more reports of high winds!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

I am just on the edge of that hook you mention. Unfortunately my weather station is playing up so have been unable to post wind speeds. We have just been outside to move some things as we had thought that everything had been secured (we are used to fairly strong winds). The wind had other ideas. It is one of the strongest winds we have had in some time and the gusts are particularly strong.

NW Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The wind's picked up suddenly at Shannon Airport in the last 30 minutes.

EINN 152030Z 24028G39KT 9999 -SHRA FEW021 SCT034 BKN050 11/07 Q0991 NOSIG=
    EINN 152000Z 23018KT 9999 FEW021 SCT032 BKN050 11/07 Q0992 NOSIG=
    EINN 151930Z 24017KT 9999 FEW021 SCT034 BKN050 11/07 Q0992 NOSIG=

The TAFs for Shannon, Dublin and Casement call for around 28 gust 43 knots tonight, with wind warnings issued.

no change at 21z

SHANNON AIRPORT SW 28 Gust 40

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pressure has dropped 22hPa in Galway since midnight, currently 980hPa

Thick misty rain blowing horizontally now with some strong gusts, horrible night out but nice to watch from the window

growing interest in that second system that approaches tomorrow night to the south, slowly inching north from run to run.

Also it really goes through an explosive phase of development around T24,

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Just listening to Shannon Airport ATC, warning landing aircraft wind gusting over 40 knots and severe wind shear reported by landing aircraft passing through 1000 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My wind machine in Galway is showing gusts over 40 knots from West North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

the hook is hitting the midlands now - Absolutely bucketing down here in Athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

If we had a visible satellite imagery it would look quite well structured.

In west Limerick - Kids playhouse had to be rescued after being catapulted to back of garden - some very strong gusts here since last hour or so.

- Tied the trampoline down as soon as I copped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Absolutely blowing a gale here in Ennis as well. I must have missed the weather forecast this evening as i wasn't expecting this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Severe turbulence forecast to strengthen between the surface and 7,000 ft within the given coordinates below.

EISN SIGMET 01 VALID 152027/160025 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR SEV TURB FCST LAN SW OF A LINE N5320 W01000 - N5300 W00700 - N5200 W00700 BTN SFC/FL070 MOV E AT 30KT INTSF=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gone quiet in Galway in teh last 30 mins, are we in the eye or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Amazing its like as if someone turned off a switch, flat calm suddenly must be the centre of this depression passing over.

SHANNON AIRPORT W 30 Gust 49

A Met Eireann 2258 update
    Rain will continue to affect parts of Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster tonight. Some heavy falls are likely and it will be quite cloudy and misty too. In Munster and south Leinster a clearance has already developed, with just the odd shower. However this drier weather will bring with it very windy conditions. Strong to near gale force west to southwest winds will affect these areas but will decrease overnight. Lowest temperatures will range from 4 to 7 degrees. (West to northwest winds will reach gale force or higher for a time overnight on coastal waters from Wicklow Head to Roche's Pt to Slyne Head and on the Irish Sea south of Anglesey.)

Its almost time to head over to Met Eireann for the latest on RTE Radio1/Sky 0160....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

SHANNON AIRPORT W 30 Gust 49

yep 91km/h gust at Shannon. Fairly wild here in West Clare. Aunty Em, Aunty Em...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Very windy in East Limerick. The chimney is giving me the heebie-jeebies :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

MET EIREANN 11PM
    West to northwest winds will reach gale force or higher for a time overnight on coastal waters from Wicklow Head to Roche's Pt to Slyne Head and on the Irish Sea south of Anglesey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hardly a puff of wind here in all evening, low center seems to have passed right over here going by the recent sat sequence hence the light winds. Pressure bottomed out at 985 hPa earlier but rising rapidly now, up to 992 with wind direction WNW which backed sharply from a SE direction earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Windy here in Dublin 4. Nothing to crazy. Probably about strong enough to blow over a wheelie bin and blow off your momas hat while she picks up said wheelie bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

Very strong wind here in North Wexford.No sleep tonight.Even the dog is awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

On a boat in the Celtic Sea at the moment - not fun! Wind speed pretty much consistently at 40 knots in the last couple of hours. Max gust in last 30 mins was 50 knots and I suspect there have been much stronger ones.

To all the landlubbers, be thankful your bed isn't doing a good imitation of a rodeo bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Literally had nothing you guys experienced here! Unless it all happened while I was sleeping from 12.00 until 7.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Wind speed is still about 25 to 30 knots in the Celtic Sea at the moment, with about 4 metre swells. Ship is rolling up to 15 degrees at times...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Missing all the fun in Longford. Apparently a river burst its banks last week from the heavy rain and the ground was still completely saturated. This morning the mother texted me telling me that the back roads are now submerged in about 2 feet of water in areas as the river burst again. Demanded pictures so will post them asap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

mud wrote: »
    Very windy in East Limerick. The chimney is giving me the heebie-jeebies :eek:

It was pretty wild in West Limerick last night. Plenty of objects crashing around the place.

Talking to a chap in Kerry, he was reporting high winds too at his location.

I was unable to get outside so unfortunately can't give any more in terms of an accurate report but it seemed to be a fairly lively but short lived event. No damage locally, not even a tree branch down. Lots of leaves blown off so there will now be less wind loading on tress for any subsequent wind event although the ground saturation levels may lead to possible instability going forward into any following windy weather.

Looking forward to the next one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm just about to venture out. The ground was so wet before last night that I hope we don't get more very wet weather too soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement