Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

here-are-the-2020-back-to-school-memes-even-though-kids-shouldn-t-be-going-back-to-school-2.jpeg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

km79 wrote: »
    Blended learning could suddenly reappear as the preferred option !
    Which will require clear guidelines from the dept and a delay in return to school

At a union meeting last week I asked if the department would issue these and I was told they were unwilling to do so as all schools were different i.e. some use ipads already while others didn't even have student email accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

km79 wrote: »
    Blended learning could suddenly reappear as the preferred option !
    Which will require clear guidelines from the dept and a delay in return to school

Management bodies arranged training with school management in blended learning.

I'm not sure of the value of guidelines for it. Keep synchronous learning to a minimum, include discussion and collaboration where possible, make videos with explanations rather than doing it live. Share the workload with your department.

Every school is different and the guidelines will become meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

At a union meeting last week I asked if the department would issue these and I was told they were unwilling to do so as all schools were different i.e. some use ipads already while others didn't even have student email accounts.

This is what the Dept of Ed should have spent August/ September sorting this out with schools. And then gone with a blending learning week on week off method, which would sort out social distancing in schools, would also have avoided the sh*tshow around school transport, possibly would have kept schools open in the long run, and would have left them in a viable position if schools were forced to close.

It would also have avoided the stupid gutting of perfectly functional classrooms in order to theoretically accommodate students who might not show up for school anyway. Then let the schools start on late September/early October.

Too late now and we find ourselves as participants in the slow train crash coming up.

The unions, I hope, are just doing as Varadker, Harris & co. have clearly chosen to do i.e. stay silent and try to avoid being associated with the disaster unfolding.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rosita wrote: »

The unions, I hope, are just doing as Varadker, Harris & co. have clearly chosen to do i.e. stay silent and try to avoid being associated with the disaster unfolding.

This I think is the approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Blended learning would be a good option now. First, third years and leaving Certs in for a few weeks then rotating with other years. First years really need to be in for September before they can begin their blended learning.

Schools shouldn't open until the 14th September at the earliest with the current health advice.

A clear set of guidelines from the department..... maybe before I retire :)

The Friday just before you retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

What happened the thousands that went to those schools for IT in the last 3 years.

Treppen wrote: »
    What happened the thousands that went to those schools for IT in the last 3 years.

I have thought a few times over the summer about the school in meath that was castigated by the parents for going down the ipad route.
    Id say whoever brought them in was sitting back with a wry smile during lockdown while the students there were well set up for remote learning.
    On the other hand I know a fee paying boarding school near me that had to resort to phoning students with work as they hadn't even email accounts set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Interesting thoughts on returning to school on this forum over the past while, also very interesting to note that teachers working conditions are being eroded even further and the Unions,unfortunately,are sitting idly by.

Having had a chat with an Industrial Relations Officer, the other day, (of one of the Big Two teacher Unions), to be told "We are in strange times"! which I already knew,believe it or not!
    For a teacher there has been no let up since 12 th March last.
    Many schools worked well into June ,online meetings etc.
    Quite a number of schools have been in Zoom Meetings since 1st week in August.
    Teachers have also been physically in their schools for the past few weeks clearing floor space etc as they had lost their rooms.

All the Union,this particular one in anycase could offer was:

Perhaps you have a nice Principal and they might count some of the many hours you have done towards Croke Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This,I laughed at,as I do know one particular teacher brought up the subject with the Principal when in tidying a classroom and got this look of disbelief and was more or less laughed at for even suggesting such a thing!

The way I see it is there will be lots of sick leave amongst the staff who are always there this coming year,the ones that usually come in "like death warmed up" because they love their jobs and as everyone knows the teacher,(nearly every school has one ),the serial 4 day a weeker ,however they manage Doctors Certs I will never know!,this particular teacher will be "gone " for even longer!
    Morale,whatever that is will be non existant with all the running around and form filling if you happen to be in the etb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

ethical wrote: »
    Interesting thoughts on returning to school on this forum over the past while, also very interesting to note that teachers working conditions are being eroded even further and the Unions,unfortunately,are sitting idly by.

Having had a chat with an Industrial Relations Officer, the other day, (of one of the Big Two teacher Unions), to be told "We are in strange times"! which I already knew,believe it or not!
    For a teacher there has been no let up since 12 th March last.
    Many schools worked well into June ,online meetings etc.
    Quite a number of schools have been in Zoom Meetings since 1st week in August.
    Teachers have also been physically in their schools for the past few weeks clearing floor space etc as they had lost their rooms.

All the Union,this particular one in anycase could offer was:

Perhaps you have a nice Principal and they might count some of the many hours you have done towards Croke Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This,I laughed at,as I do know one particular teacher brought up the subject with the Principal when in tidying a classroom and got this look of disbelief and was more or less laughed at for even suggesting such a thing!

The way I see it is there will be lots of sick leave amongst the staff who are always there this coming year,the ones that usually come in "like death warmed up" because they love their jobs and as everyone knows the teacher,(nearly every school has one ),the serial 4 day a weeker ,however they manage Doctors Certs I will never know!,this particular teacher will be "gone " for even longer!
    Morale,whatever that is will be non existant with all the running around and form filling if you happen to be in the etb!

We have had meetings during summer and will be expected in early to supervise entrances and exits and when asked will it count towards Croke park, the principal looked visibly pissed off. I have collagues who will have to pay extra childcare to accommodate this and we are not getting paid for it and more then likely wont count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

khalessi wrote: »
    We have had meetings during summer and will be expected in early to supervise entrances and exits and when asked will it count towards Croke park, the principal looked visibly pissed off. I have collagues who will have to pay extra childcare to accommodate this and we are not getting paid for it and more then likely wont count.

CP must be by consensus, organise staff to agree to X hours as having been done and force the consensus !!

khalessi wrote: »

There is extra money available for this supervision. It should be used to pay teachers doing more than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There is extra money available for this supervision. It should be used to pay teachers doing more than usual.

Really!! where do we apply for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

That is just at secondary. Nothing available for additional supervision at primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

We got an email about this today and I was surprised to read that this money arises after the regular S&S has been exhausted - does that mean 1. We all get paid for supervision provided we sign up and 2. If a teacher doesn't sign up, would it be likely that they would have their supervision completed by Christmas/early January?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We got an email about this today and I was surprised to read that this money arises after the regular S&S has been exhausted - does that mean 1. We all get paid for supervision provided we sign up and 2. If a teacher doesn't sign up, would it be likely that they would have their supervision completed by Christmas/early January?

If you sign up, you're making yourself available for extra S&S in addition to your usual slots. You'll be paid for these obviously, €42 or €37 an hour (Jan 2011 cut-off for rate). Taxed at higher rate if you on that band already I'd assume

I wud assume most people will have their S&S done more quickly this year than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I was definitely going to be finished, well before the end of the year last year, if it wasn't for the closure. I don't really want to do more though, even if it's paid. The younger teachers can have it.

[quote="joebloggs32;114375633"
    On the other hand I know a fee paying boarding school near me that had to resort to phoning students with work as they hadn't even email accounts set up.[/quote]

Funny that, I know a guy working in a fee-paying boarding school who was posting out hard copy material to students during the closure. You'd have expected they'd be more on top of IT things than many schools.

Funny that, I know a guy working in a fee-paying boarding school who was posting out hard copy material to students during the closure. You'd have expected they'd be more on top of IT things than many schools.

Too much money being spent on all things Rugby I'd say :)

Too much money being spent on all things Rugby I'd say :)

Yes, there's lots of dosh there for a rugby coach!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Yes, there's lots of dosh there for a rugby coach!

"The money was just resting my account" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/assessment-arrangements-junior-cycle-and-leaving-certificate-examinations-2021.pdf

Most people have possibly seen this already but just in case - changes to Junior Cycle and Leaving Cert subject examinations 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

here-are-the-2020-back-to-school-memes-even-though-kids-shouldn-t-be-going-back-to-school-2.jpeg

LOVE it

I'm in a big school with very little absenteeism where we have been lucky enough never to exhaust our S&S. The way I see it for myself is that it will already be so much of a shock to my system to be doing the amount I am required before extra pay (I know, boo hoo for me :pac: ) that I wont want the extra, even though I'll be paid for it.

I'm also nervous enough about going back so will be limiting the contact I have to what is only absolutely necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Does anyone have a copy of the changes released by the DOE earlier, they have disappeared off the website

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Does anyone have a copy of the changes released by the DOE earlier, they have disappeared off the website

Couple of changes might be needed. The JC Irish part didn't mention the AT being gone even though it intended to I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Couple of changes might be needed. The JC Irish part didn't mention the AT being gone even though it intended to I think

If the AT is gone does that mean the CBA its based on is also gone?

Or are CBAs still to be completed

amacca wrote: »

3rd year students only have to do 1 CBA according to the most recent release from the NCCA a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The music for Junior cert also had a heading with the Practical becoming Coursework which would be an enormous change but presumably was a typing error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm in an absolutely foul temper tonight. Still in Lockdown. Cannot get to visit my parents and the inlaws one last time before we open and massively increase the risk. But my area has had one case since june. ONE. And to top it all off I go back to school while STILL locked down. The mind boggles. I want to go punch a punchbag... oh wait I can't. My gym classes can't happen because we're still bloody locked down.

Ahem. I am going for a walk. And then I'm having a glass of Gin. Maybe more.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

amacca wrote: »

https://ncca.ie/en/junior-cycle/assessment-and-reporting/revised-arrangements-for-the-completion-of-classroom-based-assessments-cbas-for-the-cohort-of-students-2018-2021-current-second-years-entering-third-year-in-2020

One CBA for the JC 2021 group. Doesn't seem to matter which one.

No info on 2nd years though.

Advertisement