Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

One of them did the PME in NUIG the same year as myself.

He was grand to deal with day to day in fairness, a very practical guy actually. I doubt he has stayed teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I wonder if the kids were on week on week off would they do more work at home? It was clear by April we weren't going back to class so some kids (in fairness I'd have been one of them when I was younger) just skived off. If they knew they were going to be in class the following week and be questioned on their lack of work and the work corrected in class would we see the same level of disengagement? I guess we don't know, and there will always be a few who do nothing at home, but I'd imagine it would encourage a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I wonder if the kids were on week on week off would they do more work at home? It was clear by April we weren't going back to class so some kids (in fairness I'd have been one of them when I was younger) just skived off. If they knew they were going to be in class the following week and be questioned on their lack of work and the work corrected in class would we see the same level of disengagement? I guess we don't know, and there will always be a few who do nothing at home, but I'd imagine it would encourage a lot of them

Probably, but the aim of the return to school is to free up parents to go to work it seems. Reduced attendence with blended learning wud be the safest option but does not seem to have been considered at all.

I just don't understand this at secondary. Primary is a different game and they really have such a tough job ahead. If they continue with this plan the schools will simply have to close, it's mad to go from 0 to 100 all in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

After Easter, my students were more engaged as it was going towards their end of term report/Junior cert. If participation was weighted heavily, they would have to do something. There will always be a few who you can't reach but I'm sure the 21 day absenteeism rule and the threat of TUSLA might make parents get their little Johnny and Mary to participate.

• Advertisement

I feel the same, out completely or in and out are so different. They would still see me, they could be encouraged and helped. They would certainly improve their independent learning and if any tech causes trouble it could be talked through in small groups. The very small number you won't be able to engage aren't engaged anyway. We'd have a few kids who based on homelife we might decide have to be in all the time or we could use the library to allowed them to work away with supervision and access to good ICT and, even though its awful to have to say, to make sure they get food and personal care items. There is a distinct lack of imagination here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think it’s bizarre to be honest. There are not many jurisdictions I have heard off that have blanket opened with all students and 24+ students in a classroom across both levels simultaneously. Scientifically it would make better sense to at least stagger it to try and identify potential problems. If it all goes to hell in communities it’s going a mess trying to figure out whether it’s primary/secondary etc contributing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

How are schools managing the overflow classrooms? We've 1000+ girls and overflow could see approx 100 students at a time. Who's going to Staff it? Is space available?

How are schools managing the overflow classrooms? We've 1000+ girls and overflow could see approx 100 students at a time. Who's going to Staff it? Is space available?

We’re using PE hall, ART room (it’s huge) and two other repurposed spaces I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

My principal said that all our classrooms can fit 30 socially distanced (lol)

Basically, we don't have the staff or space for it so it's being ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

alroley wrote: »

Exactly the same story here. Pack em in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

alroley wrote: »

Also same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Also same here!

Our place just decided to move to one hour classes and to change the structure of the school day just yesterday. Anyone have experience of similar?

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Our place just decided to move to one hour classes and to change the structure of the school day just yesterday. Anyone have experience of similar?

Nope. Timetable arrived (hand written!) here. VSware can't cope with the weirdness of morning breaks apparently. No sign of extra doubles though. And we have done/attempted to do almost all the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Same here. The double periods that were initially planned did not work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Our place moving to one hour classes, staggered starts and break times, No lockers for students. Teachers keep their own classrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Same here. The double periods that were initially planned did not work out.

Seems odd, I imagine all principals got told something on Friday because it was a very quick decision taken at the 11th hour.

In fairness, I think it's great it's pushing schools towards 1hr classes, I've never really known a school to go that direction and regret it. With the cleaning, careful moving etc it takes away from so much time pressure. Personally I love them, you get so much more done even with one less class a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Haven't heard about numbers in my lab yet, but a friend will have 20 students, she says 8 will be sitting at sinks. Ridiculous.

I think the one hour classes will be fine with higher level classes. I’m not looking forward to LCAs or ordinary level classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

We don't need to be worrying, Stephen Donnolly has said we have to manage risk, much the same as playing sports or when kids go on a trampoline. Yeah that's what he said! Getting on a trampoline is much the same as bringing covid back to granny and grandad.

Sorry for going off topic but with hour classes what do ye do with the extra 20mins from your 21hrs 20mins contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Sorry for going off topic but with hour classes what do ye do with the extra 20mins from your 21hrs 20mins contact?

Our classes aren't exactly an hour. 58 minutes

Our classes aren't exactly an hour. 58 minutes

Same... I’d never heard of that before. My eyes hurt looking at the start and finish times of classes.

We do 6 40 mins on our half day so that makes up the shortfall to hit 21,20

We do 6 40 mom's on our half day so that makes up the shortfall to hit 21,20

That’s clever.

We do 6 40 mom's on our half day so that makes up the shortfall to hit 21,20

Forgive me but what's a mom?

Forgive me but what's a mom?

An autocorrect of min.

• Advertisement

An autocorrect of min.

You had me scared :):)

Advertisement