Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭doc_17

It’s some craic all this, you’d nearly think they didn’t know what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Our place just decided to move to one hour classes and to change the structure of the school day just yesterday. Anyone have experience of similar?[/quote
    Yes, same for us. No real discussion or consultation. Opportunist really to introduce changes like this during a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'd love if ours did.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Our place just decided to move to one hour classes and to change the structure of the school day just yesterday. Anyone have experience of similar?

Or timetable was changed to be mainly made up of doubles. Our students have to wear masks from the moment they set foot in the building which I’m happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Our classes aren't exactly an hour. 58 minutes

So you could work 5classes in a day, but they're only down as 58min classes.. So you have only worked 4hrs 50? Seems a cheap and dirty way to give the 40 mins professional time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's also just makes the classes hard to follow, as the above poster said it seem a bit petty. Even with the 6 40 minutes on a Wednesday people are sometime 10/20 minutes off. It's hardly the end of the world. Buys a bit of goodwill for the day your inevitably stuck for cover.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Well last night I got a good decent nights sleep. Storm watching distracted me. And my husband bought me a notebook and pen for my bedside for my birthday. It’s something I haven’t needed to do in years but I’m back to scribbling down all the random spinning thoughts that stop me from sleeping. I rarely ever read the thing the next day but just the act slows me down. Highly recommend

I’m currently in the ‘let’s just get on with this **** show’ frame of mind. Settling the kids in to the new childminder (not taking chances with creche this year) and then it’s off to school tomorrow to start tearing apart my cabinets. Picked myself up a bookshelf for at home for the ones I need day to day and they’ll store the rest with the books in it apparently. I’ve lined up resources to start back with all classes except for wellbeing as I’ve never taught it and have the back up online ideas in my head. Need to chat to the coordinator for wellbeing.

Now to find out today if Kildare gets out of LOKdown and if I can squeeze in last minute visits to the grandparents before the **** hits the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Well last night I got a good decent nights sleep. Storm watching distracted me. And my husband bought me a notebook and pen for my bedside for my birthday. It’s something I haven’t needed to do in years but I’m back to scribbling down all the random spinning thoughts that stop me from sleeping. I rarely ever read the thing the next day but just the act slows me down. Highly recommend

I’m currently in the ‘let’s just get on with this **** show’ frame of mind. Settling the kids in to the new childminder (not taking chances with creche this year) and then it’s off to school tomorrow to start tearing apart my cabinets. Picked myself up a bookshelf for at home for the ones I need day to day and they’ll store the rest with the books in it apparently. I’ve lined up resources to start back with all classes except for wellbeing as I’ve never taught it and have the back up online ideas in my head. Need to chat to the coordinator for wellbeing.

Now to find out today if Kildare gets out of LOKdown and if I can squeeze in last minute visits to the grandparents before the **** hits the fan

I still have my head fully in the sand till next week. Am I bad for doing zero planning? Should be interesting.

Treppen wrote: »
    I still have my head fully in the sand till next week. Am I bad for doing zero planning? Should be interesting.

I’m a worry wart. Can’t relax without plans! Everyone is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m a worry wart. Can’t relax without plans! Everyone is different!

I’m the same
    If they kept awake with ideas too
    Buying a bedside notebook today
    Great idea !

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    I’m the same
    If they kept awake with ideas too
    Buying a bedside notebook today
    Great idea !

It’s handy.

Also for anyone so inclined VHI offers money back on Headspace and Calm subscriptions. I have been using headspace since last year and I like it. Helps me sleep. First time it failed to send me off was this last week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭amacca

Whats the story if a teacher lives with someone classified as very high risk?

Take appropriate precautions but otherwise work away like everybody else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rosita

alroley wrote: »
    My principal said that all our classrooms can fit 30 socially distanced (lol)

Basically, we don't have the staff or space for it so it's being ignored.

Was in our place today and yes social distancing isn't happening. The only concessions to it will be teachers' storage space. If you have a press it'll be fecked out but you'll have no less students in the room than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

It’s handy.

Also for anyone so inclined VHI offers money back on Headspace and Calm subscriptions. I have been using headspace since last year and I like it. Helps me sleep. First time it failed to send me off was this last week

Really??? VHI gives money back on it??? Must check my policy documents. Never heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Just wondering is the 1m social distancing in schools recommended by NPHET or by gov?

Surely schools that don't even exercise 1m SD is reckless?

I seem to recall one of the union leaders say that there's no way they'd accept different social distancing rules for teachers to the rest of the workforce.

Just wondering is the 1m social distancing in schools recommended by NPHET or by gov?

Surely schools that don't even exercise 1m SD is reckless?

I seem to recall one of the union leaders say that there's no way they'd accept different social distancing rules for teachers to the rest of the workforce.

Where are they now one wonders?

(perhaps wisely staying quiet while this charade plays itself out?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Our school is being set up with 1 m between desks and 2m to the teacher. I presume we have the option of staying at the wall to maintain distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Our school is being set up with 1 m between desks and 2m to the teacher. I presume we have the option of staying at the wall to maintain distance.

I presume once staff & students leave the classroom, they must stick to 2m distance.

Our school are proposing to run a canteen service and, as far as I can see, students will be served food during lunch. If they have to queue and sit 2ms apart, it'll take a long time to get everyone served.

We're also keeping lockers, so they'd have to keep 2ms apart while using those too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Latest announcement from MM is akin to the LC exams will be happening by ‘hook or by crook’ .......

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Emma OKelly tweeting that there is to be 50% capacity on sec school buses but primary buses are to run at 100% capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Emma OKelly tweeting that there is to be 50% capacity on sec school buses but primary buses are to run at 100% capacity

Not alone will primary busses run at 100% capacity - gov does not recommend that primary school children wear masks on the bus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

scrubs33 wrote: »

..... how do they eliminate the other 50%?
    Hopefully the teachers get to choose who gets left at home :pac:

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Not alone will primary busses run at 100% capacity - gov does not recommend that primary school children wear masks on the bus :rolleyes:

Ah sure they are just not as big of a risk to the bus driver....they dont develop a respiratory tract until their early teens

Buses running at 50% capacity with just a week to go is going to be an absolute **** show for us tbh. We have three double deckers coming in from the local area and they are expensive for parents already.... they’ll go nuts if the price doubles

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Treppen wrote: »
    ..... how do they eliminate the other 50%?
    Hopefully the teachers get to choose who gets left at home :pac:

Blended learning could suddenly reappear as the preferred option !
    Which will require clear guidelines from the dept and a delay in return to school

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

km79 wrote: »
    Blended learning could suddenly reappear as the preferred option !
    Which will require clear guidelines from the dept and a delay in return to school

Blended learning would be a good option now. First, third years and leaving Certs in for a few weeks then rotating with other years. First years really need to be in for September before they can begin their blended learning.

Schools shouldn't open until the 14th September at the earliest with the current health advice.

A clear set of guidelines from the department..... maybe before I retire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

I've just seen a timetable for a school in Dublin, not my own, and it has blended learning scheduled for the first month. Kids in for morning or afternoon then "learning" from home.
    We've been told the school is not ready for us for Monday so start-back has been delayed until Wednesday. Thanks be to God I still have my own classroom and my office (with the kettle and fridge!!!). I was told I can have one storage cupboard but everything else out, which is fine.
    The woman who runs my local hair salon has offered me two screens to put on my desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭doc_17

Rosita wrote: »
    Was in our place today and yes social distancing isn't happening. The only concessions to it will be teachers' storage space. If you have a press it'll be fecked out but you'll have no less students in the room than before.

It can’t be ignored. It MUST be 1m. End of.

doc_17 wrote: »
    It can’t be ignored. It MUST be 1m. End of.

It will end up happening though ...through poor discipline alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The Ah sure it ill be grand, they can all go back together, is now coming back to haunt the govt.
    At second level, with sll the movement that takes place in a school building it would be far more prudent to have a 2/3 day split over two weeks for the students.

Advertisement