Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 12th Lock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

There are new owners and should open in about 5 weeks, the same guy's that run De Bruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

septictank wrote: »
    There are new owners and should open in about 5 weeks, the same guy's that run De Bruns.

Is that the place that used to be Brasserie 15? Well, that's the Twelfth Lock f%&$ed then :(

Arciphel wrote: »
    Is that the place that used to be Brasserie 15? Well, that's the Twelfth Lock f%&$ed then :(

Give them a chance , they haven't opened their doors yet for fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Arciphel

septictank wrote: »
    Give them a chance , they haven't opened their doors yet for fcuk sake.

If it's anything like De Bruns - I wouldn't have high hopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

I dont like DeBruns, but i do like Castello Bruno. So we will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

Arciphel wrote: »
    If it's anything like De Bruns - I wouldn't have high hopes.

What's wrong with De Bruins? Food is quite good in there I think and pints are decent. Always a fairly good crowd in there. Best pub in D15 area I think anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

digiman wrote: »
    What's wrong with De Bruins? Food is quite good in there I think and pints are decent. Always a fairly good crowd in there. Best pub in D15 area I think anyway

I've only been in it once. Got food and enjoyed it. It's one of the best I've been to in the area, not that there's much competition.

That'll be Browne's, Castello Bruno, De Bruin's and 12th Lock all under the same owner.

digiman wrote: »

De Bruns is very marmite. Ive once had a good meal there (out of 3 occasions though, it was the lunch), including a cold steak.

A lot of my friends have been more and swear by it.

Basically, same as how some people on this thread saw the 12th lock too.

Time will tell, but i look forward to going back and having a pint with the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

hardCopy wrote: »
    I've only been in it once. Got food and enjoyed it. It's one of the best I've been to in the area, not that there's much competition.

That'll be Browne's, Castello Bruno, De Bruin's and 12th Lock all under the same owner.

The biggest danger is the risk of sameness. I have no issue with any of the places they own, but if they all end up the same or similar, that is a pity.

There are element of Brownes in De Bruns and Castello, hopefully 12th lock will be different but we don't need another steak on the stone place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Godge wrote: »
    There are element of Brownes in De Bruns and Castello, hopefully 12th lock will be different but we don't need another steak on the stone place.

Lets face it, no-one ever really wanted steak on a stone. It's even worse than getting your lunch served on a wooden board or your drink in a jam jar. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Gaspode wrote: »
    Lets face it, no-one ever really wanted steak on a stone. It's even worse than getting your lunch served on a wooden board or your drink in a jam jar. :D

The one thing in favour of steak on the stone is that you can't be served a bad cut covered in sauce as has happened me in other restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gaspode wrote: »

And as I always argue, you should get a pretty hefty discount if you do order it as the chef literally does not need to get involved. You stink afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Any idea when this may open back up?

They told me last weekend about 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would guess the issue might be they have extended the size of the patio area, rather than changing the decking to paving slabs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do people really care about things like that? I cycled past it every day - looks to me like they are upgrading the patio area. I can't see what is the problem/what is making residents wary....?

Doesn't look to me like they are extending anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

amdublin wrote: »
    Do people really care about things like that? I cycled past it every day - looks to me like they are upgrading the patio area. I can't see what is the problem/what is making residents wary....?

Some busy body who likes to complain...

That kinda depends. An extension could start overlooking peoples homes, or people could be afraid of noise late at night. the lounge had complaints made against it a few years back for late night noise if memory serves. If its not gotten the right permissions, people havent had a chance to see whats happening and would, understandably enough, fear the worst.

Same people live beside a train line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 WTSIB

I trust py2006 is not calling amdublin a busy body-- depends how you read the reply !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

When many patio / smoking areas are upgraded around Dublin the effectively become all year extensions of the pub without noise protection. Any resident would be well advised to check on what is planned. There is a big difference between the noise from a train line with very few night trains and a late night pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

That kinda depends. An extension could start overlooking peoples homes, or people could be afraid of noise late at night. .....
    What bloody homes are at risk of being overlooked? It's sandwiched between train tracks & a canal FFS. Seriously, some busybodies have just way too much time on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

dodzy wrote: »
    What bloody homes are at risk of being overlooked? It's sandwiched between train tracks & a canal FFS. Seriously, some busybodies have just way too much time on their hands.

You can still see into the apartments on the other side of the canal!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

Well if they are doing nothing wrong thats fine but If I lived beside a hotel that closed down and diggers appeared and started work and there was no planning application to go and inspect to see what was planned of course I would be concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can still see into the apartments on the other side of the canal!
    If there's any peeping toms, which I seriously doubt at 40mtrs (or thereabouts) I'd say its in the other direction - and with binoculars;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

dodzy wrote: »

Nothing about being a busy body. Imagine a neighbour having a party out their back garden several times a week. Pub noise travels far and it's a nuisance.

Planning is pretty strict, just because decking was previously permissible doesn't mean paving is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MyKitchenSink

Any further updates?

A major extension has been ongoing on the outside area including new shack and paved patio etc etc

This has all been carried out without planning permission and Fingal CC are currently investigating

NIce to see a Responsible Person who has regard for planning law is taking over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

xl500 wrote: »
    A major extension has been ongoing on the outside area including new shack and paved patio etc etc

This has all been carried out without planning permission and Fingal CC are currently investigating

NIce to see a Responsible Person who has regard for planning law is taking over

Absolute amateurs whoever they are, that they believed they could erect that large metal framed awning without any planning in place boggles the mind.

Absolute amateurs whoever they are, that they believed they could erect that large metal framed awning without any planning in place boggles the mind.

Well maybe not they probably knew exactly what they were doing put it up quickly before anyone even knows what you are doing then apply for retention etc if its refused An enforcement action has to be taken which can take a long time all the time an unauthorised structure continues

This is happening all over the country and its down to very poor planning enforcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 MyKitchenSink

xl500 wrote: »
    Well maybe not they probably knew exactly what they were doing put it up quickly before anyone even knows what you are doing then apply for retention etc if its refused An enforcement action has to be taken which can take a long time all the time an unauthorised structure continues

This is happening all over the country and its down to very poor planning enforcement

Pretty astonishing that they'd take such an unnecessary risk. Did I read somewhere that the building opposite the Bell Pub had also run into trouble with planning issues recently?

Advertisement