Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

touts wrote: »
    So the lesson from all this is the couple of bars, packet of crisps and bottle of water you have in the car isn't going to get you through 2 months trapped in your car unless it's -30c outside (and even then possibly not).

I imagine around the world some lads sat down last weekend and tried to work out how to get two months food into their car emergency bag. Now there's a challenge....
    That woukd be an easy challange if it was to stay in the car, 2 months supply of food just enough to stay alive is not that much at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Ah the solar flare. Few dead satellites at the most, possibly a few people panicking because the routine of their daily lives have been interrupted or their gadgets they've grown to rely on stopped working. but very little actual 'bad' happening. most of the damage would be repaired easily enough

Like the kind of snow or floods we have here, a big fuss made over it by the news with reports of death tolls and billions of damage but really life just goes on when it's finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

grapeape wrote: »
    I was facing the window when it hit this morning and I had to roll over. FML.

For the last few years they've been belting on about how inactive the Sun was, they were even on about sending up a satelite to see what was up, now they want us worrying about a few UVs.

I'm breaking out the shorts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Massive solar flares have been reported before

"Lads! Massive solar flare coming! Stay inside, all your electronics will be fried! Mayhem!"

Then nothing. If you go back to see what ever happened that solar flare you might find out a Russian weather satellite on its last legs packed up around the same time as the flare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

DISAPPOINTED!!!:p
    [Kevin Kline A fish called Wanda]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    DISAPPOINTED!!!:p
    [Kevin Kline A fish called Wanda]

You mean I don't even need to wear a tinfoil hat?

Might at least get a decent aurora borialis? http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/huge-solar-flare-to-hit-earth-with-threat-of-power-cuts-3043967.html

Last time I saw one from Co Waterford was about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I wish the media wouldn't try to blow up nonevents like this into Hollywood blockbuster style titles. They do it often enough and nobody's going to listen to them when something dangerous really comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Interesting presentation on US and world economy. A sponsored vid via Weiss Inc (www.moneyandmarkets.com)

http://w3.newsmax.com/a/aftershockb/video47.cfm?promo_code=E580-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I wish the media wouldn't try to blow up nonevents like this into Hollywood blockbuster style titles.

Don't wish too hard, you might end up like this fella.

kingcanutetidewaitsfornoman.jpg

johngalway wrote: »

Indeed, there's nothing to be done while there's profit in panic.

But may be if that was Nuclear Duck he had it would work :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In Greece we have the closest thing to a SHTF situation in Europe, so there are many valuable lessons to be learned from their predicament.

A good news story is that the population are getting smart and cutting out the middlemen and going directly to farmers to buy produce from them (do you know the local farmers in your area and what they produce?)

http://observers.france24.com/content/20120307-potato-revolution-greeks-start-buying-potatoes-straight-farmers-supermarkets-produce-katerini-thessaloniki

But the bad news -
    The incidence of HIV/Aids among intravenous drug users in central Athens soared by 1,250% in the first 10 months of 2011 compared with the same period the previous year.
    Not a good situation for the health and/or safety of the wider urban population.

And
    There has also been a sharp increase in cases of tuberculosis in the immigrant population, cases of Nile fever – leading to 35 deaths in 2010 – and the reappearance of endemic malaria in several parts of Greece.

All from this article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2012/mar/15/greece-breadline-hiv-malaria

Worth remembering when selecting gear for your FAK and BOB or bug in gear.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    – and the reappearance of endemic malaria in several parts of Greece.

So you mean I've got to find room for the Tonic Water as well as the Gin on my BOB :)

• Advertisement

In Greece we have the closest thing to a SHTF situation in Europe, so there are many valuable lessons to be learned from their predicament.

A good news story is that the population are getting smart and cutting out the middlemen and going directly to farmers to buy produce from them (do you know the local farmers in your area and what they produce?)

Yeah..Cows!!!And occasionally milk.:pIts a good idea though,but unless we were actually growing somthing on a national basis like spuds.It wont happen,as our veg industry is virtually dominated by Europe and specifically Holland.
    AND whats the betting that if you did get a market like that open the vested intrests of Govt and big supermarket chains would be immediately calling for the closure of theses unregulated markets on "consumer health and safty issues"??:rolleyes::( [IOW consume our cruddy overpriced rotten in 3days,chemically full veggies and fruit from the EU and you dont get any smart ideas you peasents!!!]
    But the bad news - Not a good situation for the health and/or safety of the wider urban population.

Why so??Unless you are a junkie sharing needles ,or a very promiscious Gay /Hetro??:confused: Athens always had a major heroin drug problem,and expect to see more Heroin related crime in Ireland,as it is a drug of choice in a depression.Cheap & nasty ****e!

All from this article - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2012/mar/15/greece-breadline-hiv-malaria

Be more worried about TB making a comback here,as it becomes more drug resistant and our health system starts to collapse.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Be more worried about TB making a comback here,as it becomes more drug resistant and our health system starts to collapse.

I know someone who had drug resistant TB in the UK about 20 years ago. Not the sort of background you'd expect, he was a child from a wealthy family and attending a top UK boarding school at the time. Recovery took over 6 months and still needed follow up surgery. Without major medical intervention he'd be dead.

I know someone who had drug resistant TB in the UK about 20 years ago. Not the sort of background you'd expect, he was a child from a wealthy family and attending a top UK boarding school at the time. Recovery took over 6 months and still needed follow up surgery. Without major medical intervention he'd be dead.
    The totally drug resistant TB rearing its head in numerous countries sounds like a great laugh so.

Lads, ye are all so pessimistic. It'll be grand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Blind faith - because thinking is hard...

• Advertisement

Blind faith - because thinking is hard...
    Meant as abit of Fri night humour....received as....:rolleyes:

Proper preping and planning is painfully expensive.

One is as well/better off having a quick way off doing themselves in than live on this planet if something really did happen.

What??Chicken out and miss all the fun!!Not likely!!;):D

Mate of mine had a dose of normal TB when he was a kid in the 1960sIreland .When I was living in San Diego he was my neighbour/boss at work. He got a suspected re occurance of it in 1993 ..[Actually around the time of Waco,and it lasted as long!].The San Diego health dept went absolutely bonkers about it!!He was quartined in his apartment with public health notices afixed to the door.No entry unless wearing a mask.At work they went and took the entire air conditioning unit apart and fumigated it!! Everyone associated with him were questioned and almost quarintined had we any coughs ,etc.
    They were amazed at our Irish attitude of "Its only suspected TB. Whats the panic?" As we still somwhat I guess accepet that it still can or does occasionally occur here,and we have a kind of national inbuilt resistance to it.
    The Americans OTOH dont have this,and were going into the first stages of Contaigon or Outbreak mode...:eek: [No the National Gaurd wasnt out in their MOPP suits with slung M16s...Pity:eek::D]
    Over reaction maybe,but if it was genuine a TB virus going thru a a pouplation that has no resistance or knowledge of it,and are so over dosed on antibiotics for every little sniffle and cough..:eek:
    Reaction over here to somthing like an outbreak of TB in Ireland again would be intresting to see!

What??Chicken out and miss all the fun!!Not likely!!;):D
    The boredom would be enough to do me in. And the bad food after a few months.

Biggest threat would be people turning on themselves. Na, not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lads, ye are all so pessimistic. It'll be grand.

in-frame.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that we don't have a tag line for the forum :confused:

Check the Survivalism & Self Sufficiency here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2 to see what I mean.

Anyone else think "KEEP GOING sure IT'S GRAND" would fit, then we'd be the only forum with its own motto? :)

Check the Survivalism & Self Sufficiency here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2 to see what I mean.

Anyone else think "KEEP GOING sure IT'S GRAND" would fit, then we'd be the only forum with its own motto? :)
    Love it.

And the bad food after a few months.

See if you were prepared, that wouldn't happen.

Or "Ah shure,nothing will happen!"??:p

BTW The Harp is facing the wrong way in the pic!! Says it all.We cant even get our national emblem on right!!:D
    The boredom would be enough to do me in. And the bad food after a few months.
    Biggest threat would be people turning on themselves. Na, not for me

You must be leading a fierce exiteing life as it is then!!:p:p
    Boredom?How could you get bored having to survive,fighting off all comers,rebuilding society and being able to play with potentially deadly things like guns and explosives to your hearts content without any busybody saying you cant?:cool::D

Bad food....NONSENSE!!Only our unwillingness to eat it!!
    Trouble is;we Irish havent been REALLY hungry since "Black 47".
    We turn up our noses at perfectly acceptable grub that our EU and middle Eastern and Chinese friends fall over themselves with delight.

My mother grew up in the 3rd Reich in Berlin,and the austere post war years of Germany.[She didnt see or know what an orange was until she was 10 in 1948.] And still recounts stories of our family scouring American base trash dumps with countless other fammlies for leftovers in C ration cans.
    I lived quite happily with a Mexican office cleaning crew in San Diego in my job ,every Friday evening by divvying up all the instant TV dinners the Americans had brought into work and had never eaten and chucked into the skips as the sell by date was literally a DAY over!! And food was so cheap to them it wasnt worth taking home :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    My food bill was literally 15USD per month the staples like bread,milk,etc.Everything else bar meat,I dumpster dived.

Ya know ..The ironic thing is you will proably survive,as it is the "I'll go out into the streets and die with the rest if a nuke bomb/whatever goes off" mentality will proably be in the part of the world where the missles/plauge/etc will miss completely!:D:D

See if you were prepared, that wouldn't happen.
    Has their been a food thread on how to survive after....say 4 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Done and done. :D

Mods: If you don't like it, just shout and I'll change it.

125115695867704705_H6H82mt8_c.jpg

I think your confusing this forum with another one Avalanche

there has, plenty of talk about it and lists and even prices for up to a years supply

I think your confusing this forum with another one Avalanche
    Don't mind me, just trying to brighten the place up abit.:p
    there has, plenty of talk about it and lists and even prices for up to a years supply
    Their's only 8 pages (main page)....I'll have a look back.

This is a relitively new forum but a hell of alot has been covered in its short life so far!

Somhow I doubt this expressed sentiment!:rolleyes::p

125115695867704705_H6H82mt8_c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

can we not just all get along?

One word for you : Mormons.

• Advertisement

Just seen that forecourts are closing amid panic buying in the UK
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/forecourts-closed-amid-fuel-panic-in-uk-545406.html

Just seen that forecourts are closing amid panic buying in the UK
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/forecourts-closed-amid-fuel-panic-in-uk-545406.html

But take no notice of the picture, a lot of supermarket petrol stations I know in the UK are always queued up with cars like that, cheap petrol also equals queues.

What interestes me is how badly the UK government have handled it so far.

But take no notice of the picture, a lot of supermarket petrol stations I know in the UK are always queued up with cars like that, cheap petrol also equals queues.

What interestes me is how badly the UK government have handled it so far.

This is true and if it happens here the Irish government will handle it alot worse

Proably as well as the Household Poll tax...You can all feck off and wont get any fuel,at all.
    [Exemptions of course for Govt ministers,bankers,property speculators,dole'is in council houses,and other social undesireables!].

This place will be a screaming hames of chaos soon the way things are going.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I have to laugh when I see the queues of cars at petrol stations given that the strike is still a couple of weeks away and it is likely that any fuel put into the car today will be long gone by the time the strike actually starts. However it does contain a few valuable lessons:

1. Never underestimate the stupidity of the herd mentality. You can't expect people to be rational because they won't. If you hear there is a possibility of a crisis coming in 8 weeks but think rationally and know there will be plenty of food/petrol/water etc until then, well come the 9pm news there will be footage of empty shelves and fist fights on the streets. When the news breaks it is too late. The herd will be at the shop before you. Best thing is to have a plan and some basic supplies in reserve all the time. That way you can cope with any short term blip and won't need to get involved in a knife fight for a pack of Tayto.
    2. Never underestimate the stupidity of the government. We see the mess our government have made of the details of the new Home tax. Can you imagine how our esteemed pothole fillers would handle an impending strike like in the UK. Moan Burton would tell us not to panic as government buildings have a reserve supply so ministerial cars will not run out of fuel so in fact with no other cars on the road the government will probably preform far more efficently. Alan Shatter would come out swinging threatening to jail anyone found hoarding petrol. Then Big Phil would probably come out and tell us not to worry, no one is going to jail and actually you can store up to 100lt petrol quite easily in your attic by stacking it up in old 2lt Coke plastic bottles.
    3. Never underestimate the stupidity of the Unions. In the UK it seems to be these tanker driver unions. They know how to press the government's buttons and are not afraid to use chaos to get what they want. In Ireland the union I fear the most are the guys in the ESB. There is a reason why average salaries in the ESB are over 80K per year and the ESB off the list of utilities to be sold off. The Unions only have to snap their fingers and the government give in to their demands. The problem is the government is no longer in control. The EU/IMF don't give a **** about maintaining supply in some backward little island off the mainland and don't know who Brendan Ogle is. They want their money back and that's all that matters. Reform is coming to the ESB and the unions will bring the country to it's knees in the battle to stop it.

Ah Good...Shall we see if Maggie Thatcher would like to drop over and get out from the attic that formidable handbag that worried both Regan and Gorbachov and give our lot a clatter with it to put some spine in the jellyfish Kenny& Co to stand up to the Croke Parker fat cats,and EU overlords?

Looking forward to seeing the Irish version of the Miners strikes being reenacted by the Gardai /ESB.:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

Another potential senario nearer to home

Bird 'flu outbreak confirmed in west Cork pheasant flock
    The Department of Agriculture has said that it is dealing with an outbreak of avian influenza in pheasants in west Cork.
    Officials confirmed that preliminary tests have identified evidence of bird 'flu in samples from a small flock of some 100 game birds on a premises near Clonakilty.
    The preliminary test results show that whilst it is what is called the H5 strain, it is not the most pathogenic H5N1 strain of the virus.
    Further tests are being carried out to establish the precise strain and the results of those tests will be available within days.
    As a purely precautionary measure, the birds on the affected premises are being slaughtered.
    All necessary biosecurity measures have been put in place and a 1km restriction zone has been put in place around the farm.

Turns out it isnt H1N1!!!:)

Turns out it isnt H1N1!!!:)

But just imagine the hype that story would have got if H1N1 had been in the news for any reason anywhere in the world recently?

With the situation of the Israel,Iran Syria trouble hotspots,it is intresting to note that Israeli Defence Forces have cancelled all leave for Passover which starts this good Friday [April 6th]at Sundown.

This would be like the US armed forces cancelling all leave for Thanksgiving and Xmas,as Passover is a major Jewish holiday.
    Wether theer is a creditable threat out there and Israel ha a jump on it or not is open to discussion,but to put their entire defence forces on a DEFCON 2 situation is saying somthing.:eek:

And once again we have a prediction of the end of the world due to overpopulation:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/next-great-depression-mit-researchers-predict-global-economic-190352944.html
    A new study from researchers at Jay W. Forrester's institute at MIT says that the world could suffer from "global economic collapse" and "precipitous population decline" if people continue to consume the world's resources at the current pace.

Smithsonian Magazine writes that Australian physicist Graham Turner says "the world is on track for disaster" and that current evidence coincides with a famous, and in some quarters, infamous, academic report from 1972 entitled, "The Limits to Growth."

Produced for a group called The Club of Rome, the study's researchers created a computing model to forecast different scenarios based on the current models of population growth and global resource consumption. The study also took into account different levels of agricultural productivity, birth control and environmental protection efforts. Twelve million copies of the report were produced and distributed in 37 different languages.
    I have to say I'm quite sceptical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement