Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

the original Tomb Raider trilogy was wonderful and about the same length as Rise (which I'm playing now) and is a bit of a chore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Time is subjective though; I've enjoyed 6 hour distractions and 60 hour epics, but the one thing I can say I know is when my time is being wasted. Padding and busywork for no discernible reason beyond the suspicion that the development was simply ticking boxes rather than try to create a game polished to a shine, or removed of any extraneous fat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For me tho I prefer to play a small number of games over and over.

I'd be the opposite. I like to see as much of what this sprawling medium has to offer as I can, so I most appreciate games that get their ideas across succinctly (although obviously there are long, epic games that deserve to be long and epic). That's why it maddens me that so many modern games - AAA ones in particular - waste our time with hours and hours of filler, and also why I tend to drop out of 'forever' games and multiplayer-centric ones fairly quickly. There are exceptional games I do replay or bump up the difficulty for a bit, but it'd be a rare game indeed that would tempt me to NG+ (Bayonetta, perhaps).

There's no perfect length for every game, only individual games which are the perfect length for what they are. Sayonara Wild Hearts is a one sitting masterpiece; Return of the Obra Dinn hasn't an ounce of fat on its body and you'd get through it in a weekend; Outer Wilds is 20-25 hours of pure magnificence; a Soulsborne game will consume 50-60 hours of my life without me noticing the hours tick by. But modern AAA games in general - whether that's FF7R, TLOUII, or the innumerable open world content-athons - more often than not are far longer than their ideas justify. The exceptions are welcome - Half-Life Alyx was the rare franchise game that filled the hours with worthwhile ideas, and Resident Evil of all series has kept things pretty focused recently.

As I've said before, I feel we're at the point where I'd love to see developers start considering smaller, cheaper projects - such as Uncharted Lost Legacy - rather than the overextended €60-70 epic that has regrettably become the norm for even games that don't need to be that long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Return of the Obra Dinn hasn't an ounce of fat on its body and you'd get through it in a weekend

I feel really dumb that it took me way more than a weekend.... and I didn't finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm so use to games been 30+ hours that a 6-8 hour game that you can complete in the same day just feels very unfamiliar so I automatically say to myself I'll get that when it's on sale. I've been spoiled in the past with the likes of GTA5 and Zelda botw so now I'm always chasing that epic single player experience with lots of secrets and challenges that will take me over a month.. and although finding a very good AAA game is easy, getting an excellent one with no padding issues is very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

Give me a linear, tight, coherent story at the 10-12 hour mark. Perfect

Open world games can be exceptional, Witcher 3, gta and BOTW. But they are exceptions, the rest are so much filler they become tedious quickly and rarely do I go for 100% for achievements.

Perhaps it's the achievements that are the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

recyclops wrote: »
    Give me a linear, tight, coherent story at the 10-12 hour mark. Perfect

Open world games can be exceptional, Witcher 3, gta and BOTW. But they are exceptions, the rest are so much filler they become tedious quickly and rarely do I go for 100% for achievements.

Perhaps it's the achievements that are the problem?

there was some game released in the last few years that had loads of those 'collect 100 of x' quests, but all the achievements unlocked when you had 15 to 20 of them. That was a refreshing way of doing it as you kinda stumbled on that many of them by just playing regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

I got lured in and bought Desperadoes 3 for full price as I really enjoyed Shadow tactics but have to say i feel I got duped for paying 60 bucks for a game thats pretty much the same game except its in the wild west. I do prefer open world games but the likes of Skyrim are so buggy it takes away from the overall enjoyment. My favorite games at the mo are Warhammer 2 and They are Billions, endless replay ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I would like to see a Murder She Wrote type video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I would like to see a Murder She Wrote type video game.

Your wish has been granted...

https://www.iplay.com/games/murder-she-wrote

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Detective / murder mystery games seem quite a rare breed; wonder why that is, if it's just too niche a genre or if mechanically it's hard to actually develop and codify the shoe leather involved in detecting. Or have I just missed them among the shovelware on online stores; "The Sexy Brutale" was one of the few I've seen that did something beyond visual novel or point n' click style games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Solid VR missions had the murder mystery mission although it was more a set up for an elaborate (and genuinely funny) joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    Detective / murder mystery games seem quite a rare breed; wonder why that is, if it's just too niche a genre or if mechanically it's hard to actually develop and codify the shoe leather involved in detecting. Or have I just missed them among the shovelware on online stores; "The Sexy Brutale" was one of the few I've seen that did something beyond visual novel or point n' click style games.

Return of the Obra Dinn showed up and redefined the genre :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'm playing The Council at the moment which is a decent, episodic mystery game. It's got a nice RPG style system in it and the game makes it feel like your choices matter. It lacks a little polish in presentation but it's definitely keeping me interested and is a much better episodic game than the ones Telltale were churning out. The full season only costs €7.50 on the PS Store

Return of the Obra Dinn showed up and redefined the genre :)

Oh yeah, forgot about that; though probably because that colour scheme / art style is the single big reason I've not played the game. Very headache inducing for me...
    The Nal wrote: »

It's a wonder they got as far as they did; or that they thought they could even make this without legal departments taking note, ignoring the graveyard of mods with "Cease and Desist" on their tombstones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It's a wonder they got as far as they did; or that they thought they could even make this without legal departments taking note, ignoring the graveyard of mods with "Cease and Desist" on their tombstones...

Crazy alright yeah. They could still make it but just not as Bond. Exact same except call it SilverEar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I feel really dumb that it took me way more than a weekend.... and I didn't finish it.

Yeah i got to the end and then realised i should have been looking through a notebook to help discover who the crew were instead of just the sequences you come across, it was at that point i said "Fvck sake" and put it down to play it again another time :(:mad:

Oh yeah, forgot about that; though probably because that colour scheme / art style is the single big reason I've not played the game. Very headache inducing for me...

There are a bunch of visual options in the game that could help you in that regard - they don’t fundamentally change the art style, but certainly scope to change the colour scheme and the like :)

If you do get past the visuals, can’t recommend the game enough - truly and immediately one of the all time greats, and just the most inspired realisation of deduction and detective work in any game. Hard to go back to ‘press R for detective mode’ after it for sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,242 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That's a big kick in the teeth for MS.

Might not have been exclusive to the series X but it would have been a big seller for the console coming into Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,493 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wasn’t that meant to be a launch title for the Series X? That’s a pretty hefty blow for Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wasn’t that meant to be a launch title for the Series X? That’s a pretty hefty blow for Microsoft.

It was December and since we don't have a Series X date it's hard to say.

It wouldn't have been far behind, and for a lot it would have been waiting under a tree with the console even if they were a bit apart in release.

I think that goes to show how big a decision it was, and in all fairness to them and as with other recent delay announcements, part of it comes down to Covid but another big part is that they know the crunch required to avoid the delay isn't worth it. Whether that's because they genuinely care about the wellbeing of their team or they know they'll be dragged over the coals like others have been and want to avoid bad publicity, who knows. But so long as the staff aren't being subjected to insane crunch (with or without covid being a threat), I'd call it a win.

It's a shame for the XBSX launch, but I'd say the vast majority who were going to get one for Xmas will still do so given the backwards compatibility and Gamepass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How long has it been in development for?
    Looked like a 360 title when they showed it last month so not surprised they are putting a bit more spit and polish on it.

I can’t imagine the pressure launching a game of that scale is during the current conditions, especially with a *hard* deadline of a console launch. Surely the reaction to the demo was a factor too, but can definitely it let believe COVID has seriously thrown schedules off balance. Can’t begrudge delays at the best of times, but doubly so at the moment.

Hopefully it doesn’t mean extra months of high-pressure work for staff.

Must be harder to instill crunch with a workforce remote and at home. I'd say a lot of dev shops are realising it's harder to coordinate and crack the whip with everyone distanced by necessity - and no sign of it lessening. Not impossible to overwork from home mind you; as someone who was working remotely anyway prior to CoVid I've long argued you end up working way more (no commute, fewer meetings and in office distractions etc). I also reckon a good few months in companies was spent just getting the logistics sorted before they could even ramp production back to anything close to parity. Source control, asset management and so on, all requiring VPNs and external coordination...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

It seems memes are the new way of delaying games so they're properly polished :pac:

• Just invest in a decent PC
    You can play all the games from Microsoft on Gamespass

And then you get the benifits of the PC platform (Steam ect)

Complemented by a Switch and a PS5

All avenues covered.

Series X is pointless IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to laugh recently when I was in a second hand book shop. They do other stuff as well and I saw Commodore 64 games. Think was 1.99 per game.

Been playing a bit of There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension for the past few nights and it's been a grand old time indeed. It's a sequel / expansion to a free game from a few years ago (I haven't played it). You've likely played these sort of twisty, meta-spoofs before with the likes of Pony Island, Frog Fractions or The Stanley Parable, but this one still has plenty of fun tricks up its sleeve. An awful lot of thought and affection has gone into the different sections you encounter, and there's lots of rule breaking and fresh design ideas while still being deeply indebted to the point n click classics of old.

Certainly well worth the tenner from my 90 minutes or so with it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It should also be noted that the creative director of Halo left midway through dev, COVID was probably the accelerant for whatever fire this game might be in.

I hope it turns out well, I don't get schadenfruede or whatever out of things like this. Hopefully the delay doesn't just mean protracted crunch.

Xbox launch is kinda ****ed now tho

Heads up for anyone that might be interested that the just released new Total War game is randomly (and by randomly I mean 'publisher was handed a sack of money with a dollar sign on it') free on the Epic Game Store until lunchtime tomorrow. Remnant From The Ashes is also free from today as part of their weekly giveaway, plus the Alto Collection (port of some very cool and chill mobile games - no idea how they'll translate to PC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The Last Guardian is the perfect length of 12+hrs. The best console game of this generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭quokula

I bounced off Last Guardian. Played a few hours but just seemed to always be randomly wandering around waiting for the creature to do whatever it was going to do to let me move on, the game never flowed and it never felt natural.

Which is a pity because SOTC was one of my all time favourite games and I was really looking forward to it.

RasTa wrote: »
    The Last Guardian is the perfect length of 12+hrs. The best console game of this generation.

Maybe it is but I might never find out as the framerate made me feel physically sick. Wasn't that great to control either and the framerate exasperated that.

What I did play was me using the creature as an elaborate feathery crate to reach higher ledges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd probably understand this grey morality thing better if I watched in game cut scenes

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'd probably understand this grey morality thing better if I watched in game cut scenes

Did you not watch the in game cut scenes in TLOU2?

Maybe it is but I might never find out as the framerate made me feel physically sick. Wasn't that great to control either and the framerate exasperated that.

What I did play was me using the creature as an elaborate feathery crate to reach higher ledges.

Oh we have already found out. I do get motion sickness but frame rate isn't an issue. Only game that made me feel sick was Portal.

You must have been getting sick a lot back in the PS days.

• Advertisement

It's inconsistent framerate that does it for me. Currently playing the god awful port of FF13-2 on PC and getting the same effect in some areas.

PS1 and saturn games were fine. Mostly managed to keep a consistent but low framerate. The N64 on the other hand... some of the non Nintendo games were very hard to play.

The Last Guardian though is the worst I can remember in a long time and the way the character lurches and falls over everything coupled with the framerate induced lag... I bounced off it.

Saying that it's probably the next PS4 game I play once I get around to finishing TLOU2.

Never played The Last Guardian but the PS4 Shadow of The Colossus has been calling to me the last few days. Never played the original.

The Last Guardian is low-key one of the greatest games of all time - truly beautiful experience to play through, and at least on a par with the transcendent Ico (I’ve always been a little bit cooler on SotC, which is still magnificent). A remaster for PS5 could be a really, really special thing.

The Last Guardian is low-key one of the greatest games of all time - truly beautiful experience to play through. A remaster for PS5 could be a really, really special thing.

Did you play it on Pro? It's horrible to play on the base console but heard it's much better on pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RasTa wrote: »

That's a last gen game though isn't it?

Edit: I'm mixing up LG and SOTC.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's a last gen game though isn't it?

No, SotC and Ico were last generation. The Last Guardian started development during the last generation but was only released during this current generation.

I didn't mind the framerate issues with the game, I'm pretty sure I played it on the base PS4 but I can't rightly remember. There were times though that controlling the beast was an absolute pain in the balls and that took away a lot from the game. I think it was very hyped up so when I finished it I couldn't help feeling pretty underwhelmed with the game.

Did you play it on Pro? It's horrible to play on the base console but heard it's much better on pro.

Nope, base, still adored it.

As an aside, there’s a superb piece on the main space of the game in the new Heterotopias zine. Been a while since the last issue, but absolutely the best gaming criticism about.

Also on the base console. I played SOTC late and that was awful controls and janky camera but still loved that but his was next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

quokula wrote: »
    I bounced off Last Guardian. Played a few hours but just seemed to always be randomly wandering around waiting for the creature to do whatever it was going to do to let me move on, the game never flowed and it never felt natural.

Which is a pity because SOTC was one of my all time favourite games and I was really looking forward to it.

The game does have a lot of outdated features attached to it which is a shame. The game was made for the year it was originally supposed to come out (2011) and it was 5 years too late.

Awkward controls, awkward camera, janky frame-rate. It's not a horrible game but it was rather frustrating a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement