Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Retr0gamer wrote: »

And yes, Ace Combat 7 really is that good and more people should play it.
    Got it at the weekend. Never played an Ace Combat game before but I'm really liking it. The story, dialogue and voice acting are really silly but it gives it a nice campy animé quality that I find mildly amusing. Gameplay is great though and the VR mode is excellent!

IGN finally say sorry for the worst review of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

And yes, Ace Combat 7 really is that good and more people should play it.

I really do want to play it myself, but I'm hoping to get it for about 20 quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

Cina wrote: »
    This year has been dire for games so far in contrast to the last few years. Almost nothing of note out yet.

out:
    Metro Exodus
    Devil May Cry 5
    Far Cry New Dawn

to come:
    Rage 2 (soon)
    Doom Eternal
    Borderlands 3
    Wolfenstein Young Blood

For me it was great so far and looking as it will get even better. And I only listed my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

IGN finally say sorry for the worst review of all time

Not really. Someone didn't like a game 13 years ago, now, someone else who happens to work in the same place that the original reviewer once did, likes it.

• Advertisement

Not really. Someone didn't like a game 13 years ago, now, someone else who happens to work in the same place that the original reviewer once did, likes it.

Didn't complete it nor understand it's mechanics more like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On top of the likes of Sekiro, been a pretty good year for indie titles so far. There’s perhaps been no single breakthrough hit like Celeste, but it’s been great to dive into the likes of Baba Is You, Sunless Skies, Hypnospace Outlaw and (my personal favourite thus far) Heaven’s Vault. Plenty more of other interesting titles released so far I’ll be keen to pick up over the next few months too.

This year has been dire for games so far in contrast to the last few years. Almost nothing of note out yet.

:confused:

Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Devil May Cry 5
    Ace Combat 7
    Sekiro
    Metro Exodus
    Days Gone
    Devils Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

On top of the likes of Sekiro, been a pretty good year for indie titles so far. There’s perhaps been no single breakthrough hit like Celeste, but it’s been great to dive into the likes of Baba Is You, Sunless Skies, Hypnospace Outlaw and (my personal favourite thus far) Heaven’s Vault. Plenty more of other interesting titles released so far I’ll be keen to pick up over the next few months too.
    Which reminds me, Tom Francis (Gunpoint, Heat Signature and the rather neat looking Tactical Breach Wizards) had a wee ramble on his Youtube channel about what he calls "Information Games" the other day. Thought some folk may find it interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Devil May Cry 5
    Ace Combat 7
    Sekiro
    Metro Exodus
    Days Gone
    Devils Trigger

Wtf is Devils Trigger?! :confused::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

nix wrote: »

You know when you're in work after a massive curry and a rake of pints the night before and your bowels are full of all sorts of poison and you really want to fart but you're afraid that it might lead to a cascading poo waterfall down your trouser leg and a smell that could inflict as much damage as Zyklon B. That fart is the Devil's Trigger...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Got it at the weekend. Never played an Ace Combat game before but I'm really liking it. The story, dialogue and voice acting are really silly but it gives it a nice campy animuality that I find mildly amusing. Gameplay is great though and the VR mode is excellent!

My first Ace combat game as well and it makes me want to go back and play other games in the series.

The story is so fecking stupid but I love it. There's a knowingness to how stupid it is but it plays it straight. I mean there's a breach and clear where they take prisoners of war... then give them pizza. But even if you aren't laughing at the story the moment to moment gameplay is so solid and fun. It's exhilarating. And the fantastic soundtrack just makes it fell so epic even when your CO is asking for a sandwich over the radio during a high stakes night time city defense mission.
    nix wrote: »

Think he means Devil Engine which is a great homage to 2D shmups like Gradius and R-Type.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Compared to 2017 its not great but you've had a few good games.
    I do think some games like Metro Exodus, Mortal Kombat XI, Kingdom Hearts 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Wargroove & Far Cry New Dawn; they just kinda released and people didn't really go out of their was with praise for them. Found Wargroove to be fairly bland & average tbh.
    I've enjoyed Apex Legends for a few days, Resident Evil 2 & what I've played of Sekiro & Days Gone. I have MK XI but when I found it a bit grindy I'm not rushing to play it....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ERG89 wrote: »
    I have MK XI but when I found it a bit grindy I'm not rushing to play it....

Yeah I've been doing the "Noob AI on Endless tower" farming method while doing other stuff in the background just to farm currency (sorry, kurrency). The Towers of Time can be fun and I enjoy doing some of them, but some of the modifiers are still bullsh*t even after they patched it so you can block some of them. Plus the whole idea behind Konsumables and Augments etc just bugs me.

I was worried when NRS came out with the idea of gear etc in Injustice 2, but I actually thought it was implemented quite well. However they really took the p*ss with this game at the start and even post-patch they need to adjust it more to reduce the grind.

I'm still playing it though as when I do play the Towers of Time, I still mostly enjoy it.

You know when you're in work after a massive curry and a rake of pints the night before and your bowels are full of all sorts of poison and you really want to fart but you're afraid that it might lead to a cascading poo waterfall down your trouser leg and a smell that could inflict as much damage as Zyklon B. That fart is the Devil's Trigger...

My typo led to this epic post so at least some good came out of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Resident Evil 2 Remake
    Devil May Cry 5
    Ace Combat 7
    Sekiro
    Metro Exodus
    Days Gone
    Devils Trigger
    DMS5 was good, none of the others really appeal to me.

Maybe I was just spoilt with how good 2017 and 2018 were, especially with the PS4 exclusives during that time, Mario and Zelda on the Switch (and to a lesser extent Octopath and Xenoblade 2), and 2 amazing CRPG's in Divinity 2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 on PC, oh and Red Dead 2, obviously.

I haven't even picked up my Switch this year so far, has anything good come out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panty Party looks like an absolute banger.

Panty Party looks like an absolute banger.

Wtf, you get to play as the drawers? Sign me up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ok quick lil help me decide interlude for ya'll

Looking to try a new kind of game..

Its a toss up between Return of the Obra Dinn or the Phoenix wright Ace attorney trilogy? Which to try first thats most likely gonna do a better job at sucking me into the genre? :confused:

From the outside looking in they both appear to be similar to one another, gameplay wise anyway.. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They’re massively different games. Phoenix Wright is a long, visual novel style game full of anime excess and lots of reading. It’s great, but very different to Obra Dinn. That’s a far more involved, far more experimental detective and deduction game with more complex rules and involving systems.

Obra Dinn is the one to go for IMO as it’s one of the very, very best games of the last few years. Phoenix Wright is definitely worth a go, but they’re very different propositions and I’d give PW a much more qualified recommendation.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I've been doing the "Noob AI on Endless tower" farming method while doing other stuff in the background just to farm currency (sorry, kurrency). The Towers of Time can be fun and I enjoy doing some of them, but some of the modifiers are still bullsh*t even after they patched it so you can block some of them. Plus the whole idea behind Konsumables and Augments etc just bugs me.

I was worried when NRS came out with the idea of gear etc in Injustice 2, but I actually thought it was implemented quite well. However they really took the p*ss with this game at the start and even post-patch they need to adjust it more to reduce the grind.

I'm still playing it though as when I do play the Towers of Time, I still mostly enjoy it.

Finally saved up 10,000 Souls to buy a specific item in the Krypt last night, which is needed to forge another item to unlock a door. Brought it to the Forge to make the item, discovered I need another 1,500 souls to forge the item.

FFS...

It's not even like they're pushing you towards microtransactions to just buy the souls instead, as you literally can't buy the souls. It's just a grind for the sake of a grind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Finally saved up 10,000 Souls to buy a specific item in the Krypt last night, which is needed to forge another item to unlock a door. Brought it to the Forge to make the item, discovered I need another 1,500 souls to forge the item.

FFS...

It's not even like they're pushing you towards microtransactions to just buy the souls instead, as you literally can't buy the souls. It's just a grind for the sake of a grind.

That sounds like the complete opposite of fun.

That sounds like the complete opposite of fun.

Yeah, and out of the three main currencies in the game, the ratio of how many of them you earn and how many you need is the worst in the game. You get 15 for winning a match and maybe 30-80 for completing a tower, so after an hour you might get maybe 500-750. Yet even after the 10k I spent last night and the 1.5k I now need, I already spent over 3k of them on other puzzles, there's another 3k puzzle I know of, and that doesn't include the actual chests which cost 100 souls each to open but have better stuff in them than regular koin chests.

Again, if you could buy the souls, I could at least blame it on them pushing towards microtransactions. But nope. This is just a grind.

You could just stop playing it and play something fun :P

Yeah, and out of the three main currencies in the game, the ratio of how many of them you earn and how many you need is the worst in the game. You get 15 for winning a match and maybe 30-80 for completing a tower, so after an hour you might get maybe 500-750. Yet even after the 10k I spent last night and the 1.5k I now need, I already spent over 3k of them on other puzzles, there's another 3k puzzle I know of, and that doesn't include the actual chests which cost 100 souls each to open but have better stuff in them than regular koin chests.

Again, if you could buy the souls, I could at least blame it on them pushing towards microtransactions. But nope. This is just a grind.

Thought they were patching this stuff? Or is this even post-patch?

You could just stop playing it and play something fun :P

Ah game is still fun, just has a lot of bad ideas badly implemented.
    Thought they were patching this stuff? Or is this even post-patch?

This is post-patch. They did increase the rewards you get (eg you get 15 souls for a win rather than 10 now, and fatalities give 3 hearts rather than just 1). They also reduced some requirements for some items (eg. you have to perform a fatality on each character 20 times to unlock their head to unlock their chest, whereas it was 50 times (though I used a glitch to unlock them all before they patched it out anyway)). But unfortunately there's still a long grind for some items, and because most of the chests are random, you don't even know if you'll get anything good at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Out of curiosity, how much faster do you think you should be able to earn the currency? I often ask this question in the context of games with micro-transactions and/or lootboxes where the content can still be earned for free but with a variable grind. The fact that MK doesn't feature this push makes the question even more interesting to me.

Well it should be balanced to give the player enough rewards to keep them coming back. Smash Borthers games I feel used to do this right with rewards handed out regularly to the player and a few tough challenges to get some of the better but worthwhile rewards.

gizmo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how much faster do you think you should be able to earn the currency? I often ask this question in the context of games with micro-transactions and/or lootboxes where the content can still be earned for free but with a variable grind. The fact that MK doesn't feature this push makes the question even more interesting to me.

It's hard to put a figure on it but ultimately its about balance. You should earn enough to get by just by regular playing, and some ways to get more quicker if you need to farm for something in particular. The way it is now, even farming to get as much as possible doesn't get you enough to get by.

When it gets to the point where people are spending more time setting the AI to play for them than playing themselves, there's an issue. A few of the evenings this week I've been doing work from home, so I set the AI farming and just have the controller beside me, hit X every 2 minutes or so (it's not automatic so you have to press X to advance to the next match).

Like I said, I do enjoy playing the game, and wouldn't want to get through the Krypt and unlock everything too easily either, but they absolutely got the balance wrong on it especially considering almost all the currency is spent on random rewards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hey lads, any thoughts on the below games? Going cheap on PSN, trying to figure out if any are worthy of a playthrough. Looking for short indie cheap relaxing games. Thanks.

Virginia - 3 euro
    Broken Sword: Serpents Curse 5 euro
    Serial Cleaner - 4 euro
    Kona - 4 euro

Advertisement