Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Personally I have no interest in PC gaming as in my opinion all the best games are on consoles now. Each to there own though, it's just that the games I love are on the PS4 or switch, I accept other people will want pc exclusives. Also this is the first generation where if you have a great phone you don't actually need a PC for basic stuff. An advantage the PC always had was you needed to have a PC anyway but using your phone for emails, YouTube, browsing web pages etc is now satisfactory. Even buying online you can do on your phone, I just find that for the first time ever owning a PC is not essential to the average person

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Greyfox wrote: »
    Personally I have no interest in PC gaming as in my opinion all the best games are on consoles now. Each to there own though, it's just that the games I love are on the PS4 or switch, I accept other people will want pc exclusives. Also this is the first generation where if you have a great phone you don't actually need a PC for basic stuff. An advantage the PC always had was you needed to have a PC anyway but using your phone for emails, YouTube, browsing web pages etc is now satisfactory. Even buying online you can do on your phone, I just find that for the first time ever owning a PC is not essential to the average person
    I was a console fanboy for the longest period until I actually got into PC gaming, don't think I can ever go back tbh.

Not only are FPS games better to control, but one thing I love is being able to mod games (even if just a bit) to better suit you.

E.g. I want to replay Final Fantasy IX.
    My options are:
    • Use my old PS1 discs
    • Buy the Android-port on console
    • Buy the Android-port on PC but mod it to look even better than the original

That said, the Switch is a console I'd love to buy if only I could fit it into my life & budget; it offers something Xbox/Playstation doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Not only are FPS games better to control, but one thing I love is being able to mod games (even if just a bit) to better suit you.
    I'll give you modding games as a good reason. I own the PS4 remaster of Skyrim.. and the PC mods for that look cool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That said, the Switch is a console I'd love to buy if only I could fit it into my life & budget; it offers something Xbox/Playstation doesn't.
    Bayonetta 3?

• World War Z actually looks like a lot of fun
    Was thinking of picking it up but not many I know are getting it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

World War Z actually looks like a lot of fun

It's the type of game that'll be stupidly cheap in two months. Hang on for the minute.

World War Z actually looks like a lot of fun

Ditto.

Getting decent reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So I finished playing the main storyline of Assassin's Creed Black Flag a few days ago. A beautiful game.

• Ditto.

Getting decent reviews.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really want to get WWZ now as well. Mad craving for a worthy Left4Dead style co-op experience, which this one genuinely appears to be. There's been a few games like it since but most were pretty unremarkable. Vermintide was pretty good but the fantasy/medieval setting wasn't quite what I was hankering after.

Forget Half Life 3....I seriously want a L4D3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think the era of zombies is all but dead. I've little to no interest in zombie games now, we've been too saturated with them. Only one I'm genuinely looking forward to is Dying Light 2, and that's more for the awesome gameplay (pretty good stories too). I hope we are heading towards a mech era, love me some robots!

Edit: After having watched the woeful Bumblebee the other night, the only good part was the first 15 minutes. Give me that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think the era of zombies is all but dead. I've little to no interest in zombie games now, we've been too saturated with them. Only one I'm genuinely looking forward to is Dying Light 2, and that's more for the awesome gameplay (pretty good stories too). I hope we are heading towards a mech era, love me some robots!

Edit: After having watched the woeful Bumblebee the other night, the only good part was the first 15 minutes. Give me that game!

Counter-point: Resi 2 HD

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of awesome zombie games, there is an ultimate Telltale TWD collection, all the games on one disk plus some nice collectibles. I want that Clem and Lee statue so bad but not for 200 to 300 quid. The rest of the items are ****. The Russian dolls are kinda cool but a hat that isn't even Clem's hat? WTF is that about.

https://twitter.com/TheWalkingDead/status/1118920154035843072?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've picked up a few of these types of editions after launch for around €50, the shops struggle to keep them for long periods as they take up so much self space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ray tracing claim is likely nonsense.

Anyway an Amiga can do ray tracing. Doesn't mean you can get good FPS out of it. Ray tracing at 1080p with a 2080 ti is pushing it. It will be a disaster if they are targeting 4k

Unless they have a software solution to fake it.

I posted this in the Racing Sims sub forum a while back, you probably didn't see the video yet:

Doge wrote: »
    Saw this on Team VVV site, if the PS5 will be capable of this fidelity in VR it's going to look amazing. I suppose it would nicer they focussed on physics rather than graphics though....

Polyphony, the guys behind the Gran Turismo series, recently took to the stage at the SIGGRAPH Asia 2018 industry event (which showcases the latest in computer graphics and techniques) to reveal that they have been secretly working on their own version of real-time ray tracing.

Real-time ray tracing (which has been the stuff of dreams until the release of NVIDIA’s RTX 20-series) provides authentic looking shadows and reflections courtesy of the game engine tracing the rays of light as it bounces off the many different objects in a scene.

The (admittedly poor quality) video below, via wccftech, demonstrates the advanced lighting and reflections in what we can only assume to be a Gran Turismo Sport build of some sort, see for yourself below (starting at 7:25).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

On the PS5 I was looking up what 3D audio is and to me it's basically surround sound. Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More than likely it's positional sound using ray tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

On the PS5 I was looking up what 3D audio is and to me it's basically surround sound. Am I missing something?

Yes, their own version of 7.1 surround sound like Windows Sonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More than likely it's positional sound using ray tracing.

I think that's exactly what it is. Seems a very strange choice to be building a system around. Not sure many people would give a fiddlers about sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The Russian dolls are kinda cool but a hat that isn't even Clem's hat? WTF is that about.

Clem's hat is already sold on the Skybound Store.

https://store.skybound.com/products/the-walking-dead-clem-hat-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think that's exactly what it is. Seems a very strange choice to be building a system around. Not sure many people would give a fiddlers about sound.

I certainly wouldn't. I can't even tell the difference between a expensive set of head phones and a cheap set or MP3 and what ever other high quality sound file.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I certainly wouldn't. I can't even tell the difference between a expensive set of head phones and a cheap set or MP3 and what ever other high quality sound file.

If you've ever played third with eax and headphones you'd know. You can tell the guard positions just by listening. It's really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't know.

Know someone who'd their component cables wrong and they didn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,846 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

While I was out at my local Gamestop today picking up Days Gone, the manager said that The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 will be released in the autumn/winter of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

they can make stuff like this up and there's no consequences. I may riot if it's not true but realistically who's going to care.

Just picked up Dangerous Driving in GameStop. Manager, who's dead sound, advised me that there is no music in the game due to the cost of licensing. Instead, it has built in Spotify if you have a premium account. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Just picked up Dangerous Driving in GameStop. Manager, who's dead sound, advised me that there is no music in the game due to the cost of licensing. Instead, it has built in Spotify if you have a premium account. Interesting.

What's the game like? I've heard mixed things

eyerer wrote: »
    What's the game like? I've heard mixed things

Won't know until about 11pm tonight when I get home. Manager in GameStop said it's as close to Burnout 3 as they could get without being sued by EA. Which can only be a good thing. Either way, I want to help these lads, because if they can make a semi-decent game on a budget of about $140k (I heard), imagine what they could do if they get the support.

Reading more on the lack of a soundtrack, I got a great hint. Luckily, I have Spotify Premium with my mobile plan, so I went in and created a playlist for the game, and added all the songs from Burnout Takedown and Revenge onto it. Might add the NFSU songs too.

One bit of feedback I did see is that the music just plays and is not dynamic like Burnout, so it loses some of it's appeal, but I'll be giving feedback to the devs to update the game to have the sound go in and out depending on what is happening on the screen, like going quieter during crashes, louder when at max boost, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    While I was out at my local Gamestop today picking up Days Gone, the manager said that The Last of Us 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 will be released in the autumn/winter of this year.

It's possible alright

https://www.pcgamesn.com/cyberpunk-2077/cyberpunk-2077-release-date

• Advertisement

So, Dangerous Driving. Have only played a couple of hours of it, and it feels like Burnout 1 with modern graphics. You can tell it was on a budget, and they've done quite well, but it is lacking polish. The crashes are ok, but very easy to get one (simple taps will work). Sometimes the car you made crash will catapult across the screen, or up into the air, which would be fine but the damage modelling is simplistic. It's pure arcade, so i'd imagine that might put people off. It's still early days though, and you have to unlock all the variants of the cars, so it could get a lot better, or a lot worse.

I'll stick with it, it is a fun game at its core but the lack of shine in comparison to Burnout Paradise is quite obvious, but also understandable. Having Spotify with the tracklist from Revenge and Takedown definitely adds to it. I really hope they support it going forward and improve it bit by bit, it could turn into a great game then.

Advertisement