Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lantus wrote: »

Insurance companies dictating what cars we should drive, not good.

It's people buying bangers and staging crashes that is restricting insurance for older cars. The insurance companies respond to trends like how young people where priced out of Honda, then some VWs. So people staging crashes are to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The problem is we all get up in arms over the way we are being ripped off for insurance for older cars and of course when we eventually get insurance we clam down for another 12 months. We really need to get something started, a petition or whatever, and put pressure on these shysters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's people buying bangers and staging crashes that is restricting insurance for older cars. The insurance companies respond to trends like how young people where priced out of Honda, then some VWs. So people staging crashes are to blame.

But they are also restricting people who have owned said 15plus year old car for 15 years, with 15 years of never having an accident

Either by bumping up your premium so you cancel, or not taking new business. it's a total lottery, presumably based on drives to get new business rather than anything else

So it's certainly not just what you said, it may be a small part of it, but it's a racket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Insured with AA on a 01 Yaris (like the little car, takes a beating and is easy to work on)

I'm 43, driving 20 plus years, full licence E600 fully comp too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

There is already a thread on this:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057675907&page=37

I'm renewing my 02D for €471 with chill.ie
    Um, I think that's this thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Um, I think that's this thread ;)

The OP posted in the Motors section, mods must have merged it with here after I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

The OP posted in the Motors section, mods must have merged it with here after I posted.
    Thought it might have been that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

But they are also restricting people who have owned said 15plus year old car for 15 years, with 15 years of never having an accident

Either by bumping up your premium so you cancel, or not taking new business. it's a total lottery, presumably based on drives to get new business rather than anything else

So it's certainly not just what you said, it may be a small part of it, but it's a racket

It's statistics and actuary that gets insurance premiums. If loads of people start claiming when driving Hyandai Atoz then anyone with an Atoz will pay more the next renewal. So if people make claims on 15 year old bamgers or brand new tiny cars everyone else suffers, insurance is shared risk and if your demographic is a high risk then you pay more regardless of your history.

My mother has a 03 car and when getting insurance quotes fully comp is only a few hundred Euro while 3rd party only is nearly €1.5k. So obviously loads of people are insuring old cars 3rd party and crashing but strangely the same person insuring fully comp doesn't crash as often.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Del2005 wrote: »
    According to the insurance companies, entities who for decades have proven to be about as transparent as the bullshit they regularly peddle to the Irish consumer.

People were "priced out of" pretty much all Japanese imports. They were affecting how much the local motor business was making. Mark me now, watch how we'll see the more recent UK imports start to be targeted. They've become a little too popular. If it's like the Jap import stuff it'll be stuff about parts, unknown history, "safety" of older cars, "criminality involved" and then the insurance premiums will go up.
    The problem is we all get up in arms over the way we are being ripped off for insurance for older cars and of course when we eventually get insurance we clam down for another 12 months.
    I'm still raging about what I paid for this year. I'll likely be positively incandescent at the end of January when I'll be asked to bend over again. If they'll insure it as the car will just have gone over the 20 year old mark(have it over 12 years myself, but no doubt for no good reason I'll go mad and crash it for cash..). And if anyone does insure it it'll be underwritten by the same company. The same company that will give out wildly different quotes(varied by thousands) depending on the broker one goes through for the same driver in the same car. Hell I rang them directly a week apart and their quote varied by nearly 300 quid. Same car, same driver, exact same company. Maybe the coin toss went a different way that day? Yeah, colour me cynical.
    We really need to get something started, a petition or whatever, and put pressure on these shysters.
    And nothing would happen RD. Why? IMHO it boils down to this: The government have near zero interest in keeping older cars on the road. It looks good for the economy if new car sales and levels of "sustainable" credit goes up. The dealers certainly won't want anything to do with it for obvious reasons and neither would the financial sector(which insurance companies are part of), again for obvious reasons. Running an older economic to keep car means you're outa the consumer loop, so there's little to no incentive for anyone in any position of power to do anything about it. If in a parallel dimension new cars on PCP's were getting higher premiums then movement would happen alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Can you still not grasp the reasons for the stance taken by insurers?

Older cars = disproportionately higher claims costs = higher premiums to cover it or feck off altogether, either suits them
    Newer cars = better claims costs, lower premiums

If you think they are going to sit down with each individual to assess if they specifically should be given preferential treatment over others, it isn't going to happen. If you are in a category (any category) you will get the premium to reflect that group

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Older cars = disproportionately higher claims costs = higher premiums to cover it or feck off altogether, either suits them

I "grasp" it fine Ted.
    According to the insurance companies, entities who for decades have proven to be about as transparent as the bullshit they regularly peddle to the Irish consumer.

For example their published claims costs such as they are don't include the out of court settlements, settlements which make up the majority of their payouts and are clearly lower in costs, or they wouldn't make up the majority of claims. So nobody knows but the insurance companies themselves how "disproportionate" claims are for different classes of vehicles, certainly not the consumers of this legally mandated requirement.

Secondly, how do you explain that the same cars with the same drivers with the same risks going to the same company through brokers and even directly can have wildly different quotations? How's that work then? And that's not just me either, we've seen this in effect in nigh on every single post on renewal quotes.
    If you think they are going to sit down with each individual to assess if they specifically should be given preferential treatment over others, it isn't going to happen.
    Eh.. What babble is this? They already do. Individuals are already assessed by age, sex, NCB, points, driving experience and depending on those criteria an individual driver gets "preferential treatment", or not. That doesn't seem to be too difficult for them. It's certainly not too difficult for insurers in other EU countries.

Take car security for a moment. In the UK, France, Germany and Spain* if your car has extra industry recognised third party security(e.g. trackers, Thatcham level 1/2 alarm/immobiliser) you get a discount. For obvious reasons. Such devices make a car harder to steal and much more likely to be recovered if stolen. Here? Some classes of luxury vehicles will be refused cover by some if they don't have a tracker alright, but outside of them it makes no difference. Seriously folks, for fun untick the security box if present, it'll make no difference to your premium.

*Almost certainly others, but those four I know about.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Secondly, how do you explain that the same cars with the same drivers with the same risks going to the same company through brokers and even directly can have wildly different quotations? How's that work then? And that's not just me either, we've seen this in effect in nigh on every single post on renewal quotes.

It's similar to why you can find vastly different prices for a can of Guinness in an off-licence, pub, corner shop or Tescos. There are different distribution methods with the price being dictated on volumes and associated costs. If a distributor agrees to take on a lot of the administration costs for an insurer, they will receive the product at a lower cost.

Also, in my experience, people never insert the EXACT same details when obtaining quotes from multiple sources

I "grasp" it fine Ted.

Eh.. What babble is this? They already do. Individuals are already assessed by age, sex, NCB, points, driving experience and depending on those criteria an individual driver gets "preferential treatment", or not. That doesn't seem to be too difficult for them. It's certainly not too difficult for insurers in other EU countries.

They are not the only criteria taken in to consideration and you know it. No 2 policyholders will ever be the same and insurers rating matrixes are very sophisticated. Also, these excellent Insurers in other EU countries are the same ones who appear to be upsetting you so much. These excellent EU insurers have adapted their basis of operation to cater for the basket case that is the Irish insurance market

They are not the only criteria taken in to consideration and you know it. No 2 policyholders will ever be the same and insurers rating matrixes are very sophisticated.
    You appear to be confusing yourself and the rest of us:
    If you think they are going to sit down with each individual to assess if they specifically should be given preferential treatment over others, it isn't going to happen.
    So which is it? Insurers don't assess individuals to a "very sophisticated" level or they do?
    Also, in my experience, people never insert the EXACT same details when obtaining quotes from multiple sources
    And what about those that do and still get wildly varying quotes?
    Also, these excellent Insurers in other EU countries are the same ones who appear to be upsetting you so much. These excellent EU insurers have adapted their basis of operation to cater for the basket case that is the Irish insurance market
    Oh the Irish insurance market is a basket case indeed. For a few reasons: Stupidly high court payouts leading to a claims culture, government mismanagement and the Irish insurance industry that has been woefully mismanaged for decades. Remember the rush to the bottom with unrealistic below cost pricing in the Tiger years? The dubious investment portfolios? The joke that was Quinn insurance? The daftness that goes back to the 80's when the state had to bale out PMPA? Never mind the years of complaining about the court system here, yet doing eff all to change it. Well I suppose if 75% of your payouts are out of court... Or the lack of transparency. Or the magic apparently independent agreements on older cars that happened overnight. Or that the excuse that rising payouts and costs are behind the price hikes, when a Dail investigation back in '16 showed that payouts and costs were dropping year on year, while premiums were going up and up.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

Yes Ireland is a basket case for insurance, but the insurance industry is just as responsible as the government and the legal profession and the chancers.

Yes Ireland is a basket case for insurance, but the insurance industry is just as responsible as the government and the legal profession and the chancers.

I have never said that insurers were not part of the problem (not the biggest one in my opinion) I merely explain why they take certain actions to protect their accounts. You choose not to accept my opinion, which is fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If you think they are going to sit down with each individual to assess if they specifically should be given preferential treatment over others, it isn't going to happen. If you are in a category (any category) you will get the premium to reflect that group
    They are not the only criteria taken in to consideration and you know it. No 2 policyholders will ever be the same and insurers rating matrixes are very sophisticated.

Jesus wept. Make your bloody mind up. There's only a couple of the self-appointed Insurance spokespersons still posting here....I wonder why ;)

I have never said that insurers were not part of the problem (not the biggest one in my opinion) I merely explain why they take certain actions to protect their accounts. You choose not to accept my opinion, which is fine
    Well to be fair your opinion seems to be at cross purposes at times. On the one hand insurance companies can't look at individuals with much resolution, yet on the other their "rating matrixes are very sophisticated" on individual policy holders. It seems your first opinion is more accurate as Ms Bridget O'Citizen with her one litre 15 year old Starlet she's driven for ten years is lumped in with Mr Paddy O'Chancer who buys and crashes a 15 year old Mondeo within the same week. And has a suspiciously weak neck.

On the one hand we have their constant protestations that premiums are climbing year upon year because claims are going up, yet on the other their profits have been also steadily going up. Aviva posted a not far off a hundred million profit for 2017. Indeed in 2016 Aviva's profits were their highest for five years yet that was when the price gouging was kicking off. AXA UK and Ireland profits are at the 160 millions mark by mid 2018 with strong growth in Ireland.

We'll also ignore the fact that in claims paid out 20% are dealt with by the PIAB, 10% go to court and 70% are dealt with by the insurance companies. The only transparent figures for claims available are the PIAB and courts, the rest are hidden. Guess which ones the insurance industry trots out as examples?

So consistent growth in profits across the board since 2009/10, claims falling, yet insurance premiums going up across the board and not just with car insurance and still the tired old explanations are trotted out? Never mind when claims were higher and profitability was lower, premiums were lower, considerably lower in many case. Something doesn't add up.

I have zero issue with insurance companies making money. I do have a problem when they're doing so on the back of a legally mandated requirement. I do have a problem where some are penalised and explanations are vague and actual figures are hidden. I do have a problem with wildly differing premium quotes with the same cars/individuals/risks. I do have a problem with the Irish insurance industry pointing at the splinters in everyone else's eyes but then seem decidedly reluctant to point at the beam in their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MrCostington

My experiences this week:

Just Aviva for an '02 A4 1.6 petrol. 30+ years no claims, zero points, Dublin. Web quote is €836.

BOI say no cars over 16.

Chill winner at €471 (online €537 but agent called me)

123 €506

AA €680

Am I missing any?

UPDATE

Went to get cover yesterday and both Chill and 123 had gone up since I got my quotes. Renewed for E510 with Aaran/AXA TPFT (with partner on, would have been over 700 without her and she has 3 points!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Gormal

Here are a couple of petitions you might want to sign?

Save the cars and stop the waste!

Irish Motor Insurance Ripoff

Implement changes to reform the car insurance market in Ireland

I scrapped my nearly 20yr old car in time for renewal, replacement 8 yrs old, only saved €300 on insurance but €100 a year on tax. FBD still wouldn't quote me.... who do they insure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Signed all 3 of them , my cars 20 years old ,had it 10 years,don't want to give it up,
    insurance going up every year, see how long i can afford to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

My car is 13 years old and a 3.0l AA tried to double my premium to 900 euro on the basis of age mostly and engine size. I said grand I'm buying a new car anyway so gave her the details of a 141 1.0l Yaris. She came back with a quote of 800 euro!

She spoke to a manager after I tore strips of her and I ended up paying 420 euro with 6 months free AA membership for the apparent computer error....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Rang CoverInAClick and asked them for a fully comprehensive quote on my 1999 Corolla with my wife as a named driver.
    Quoted €545 (via Axa)

I haven't got my renewal quote from Allianz yet [normally comes a few days before Christmas] but last year I paid €750.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Rang CoverInAClick and asked them for a fully comprehensive quote on my 1999 Corolla with my wife as a named driver.
    Quoted €545 (via Axa)

I haven't got my renewal quote from Allianz yet [normally comes a few days before Christmas] but last year I paid €750.

Cover has come down Considerably this year, mine came down by almost 300 euro as well.. (through a broker, patronas,and quedos who've just decided to go bust.. But apparently I'm still covered so hey...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Quoted €545 (via Axa)

545 is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I just insured my 2003 325Ci for €715, fully comprehensive with RSA (thanks to my broker). Have my parents on it as named drivers as well.

I'm only 30 but I have six years NCB.

For a car that's about to be 16 years old and has a 2.5 litre engine, that's amazing! For reference, I paid €2295 this time last year for the same car with KennCo (also via a broker)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

545 is reasonable.

In a universe where a 99 Corolla is worth a fortune, maybe. Meanwhile in the real world that really shouldn't be costing more than about €300.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Kiwi John

Time to look at the system in Australia and NZ where 3rd party is covered in your car tax.

Kiwi John wrote: »
    Time to look at the system in Australia and NZ where 3rd party is covered in your car tax.

For the sake of conversation, what sort of figure would you consider acceptable to add to the existing motor tax rates? Bear in mind that it needs to cover the level of awards and legal costs that citizens are entitled to under current legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For the sake of conversation, what sort of figure would you consider acceptable to add to the existing motor tax rates? Bear in mind that it needs to cover the level of awards and legal costs that citizens are entitled to under current legislation.

Maybe he was hoping they would reduce tax to make it on par with those countries while also adopting there system :)

galwaytt wrote: »
    In a universe where a 99 Corolla is worth a fortune, maybe. Meanwhile in the real world that really shouldn't be costing more than about €300.

In the real world payout for injuries is Ireland is massive, the cost of the car doesn't really come in to the cost of liability.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    Maybe he was hoping they would reduce tax to make it on par with those countries while also adopting there system :)

That would work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

In the real world payout for injuries is Ireland is massive, the cost of the car doesn't really come in to the cost of liability.

Whilst you're correct, that doesn't tally with peoples experience with quotes. If it was, we wouldn't have people 'having' to start driving 1.0 econoboxes, when a 1.4/1.6L variant (of the same car) would likely be available, better - and probably cheaper to buy in the first place.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The < 1000cc cars hold their value because of cheaper tax and insurance. They don't start out more expensive than cars with larger engines when bought new from the dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wifes 98 Astra 1.4, bank of Ireland RSA up from €378 last year to €444 this year, whats "This premium includes a minimum time on risk charge of €65"?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Wifes 98 Astra 1.4, bank of Ireland RSA up from €378 last year to €444 this year, whats "This premium includes a minimum time on risk charge of €65"?

It just means they will charge you €65 if you cancel early.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Markcheese wrote: »
    Cover has come down Considerably this year, mine came down by almost 300 euro as well.. (through a broker, patronas,and quedos who've just decided to go bust.. But apparently I'm still covered so hey...)

Do you have a contact person at Patrona? You are talking about Patrona Underwriting, correct?

I just insured my 2003 325Ci for €715, fully comprehensive with RSA (thanks to my broker). Have my parents on it as named drivers as well.

I'm only 30 but I have six years NCB.

For a car that's about to be 16 years old and has a 2.5 litre engine, that's amazing! For reference, I paid €2295 this time last year for the same car with KennCo (also via a broker)!

Can you please share with us the name of your broker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I have a 1995 car, i was with AA and my renewal quote was €1,285.

I went straight to AXA directly and was quoted €730.

I had my heart set on getting a different car and i have been checking different car registrations on various sites to get an idea of what i would be paying for an 08/09 and i am finding for the sake of what seems to be a saving of only a couple hundred i might as well be better sticking what i have for another year.

Going through all the usual questions in the office to make sure all the information was correct, i asked him ''would it benefit me to putting a named driver on the policy?'' and he firmly said ''No''. I never had a named driver on my policy before and i was just happy with the quote difference which i didn't commit to yet.
    Should that be something i should ask about again regards bringing the premium down a bit more having a named driver on the policy and another thing or just take his word for it?

Something else i noticed on the declaration is 'You do not hold an annual travel pass'. As a carer i do have a free travel pass, so again would that be something i should inquire about? I know i should be asking AXA these things, i just wanna hear if someone else had asked about these before and managed to get it down before going back to their branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

derra wrote: »

Something else i noticed on the declaration is 'You do not hold an annual travel pass'. As a carer i do have a free travel pass, so again would that be something i should inquire about? I know i should be asking AXA these things, i just wanna hear if someone else had asked about these before and managed to get it down before going back to their branch.

My insurance came down this year because I hold an annual taxsaver ticket. 20 year old car, got quotes from Axa and Allianz, both applied a discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

My insurance came down this year because I hold an annual taxsaver ticket. 20 year old car, got quotes from Axa and Allianz, both applied a discount.

I had done another quote online last night and it came in at €16 cheaper than it was when i got one in the AXA office on Friday.

I rang today about adding an experienced named driver to the policy but he said unless it was a spouse/partner it not make any difference.

I mentioned the pass i have but he seemed to say it was more of a benefit years ago.

Last thing i asked was about the difference between the quotes online and in the office as online was supposed to be cheaper or something and not sure what his answer was there!

Anyway, i ended up with another €83 off the original one i got on Friday in the office.

Just kicking myself for not doing this before, i just renewed the last few years with AA because i was wasting my time ringing places trying to get a jap import quoted. Just over €500 in the difference between them!

• Advertisement

Has any non nationals tried with Clements Insurance? They are offering motor insurance for expats again...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Only registered with me tonight. My car is 16 years old. I've owned it for about 15. I don't do much mileage. Would I be able to get vintage/classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

probably but you would also most likely need a separate daily driver. Even if you were able to find insurance without the daily. You would loose your no claims after 2 years. ( the classic policy does not maintain your NCB)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

Classic car insurance policies in Ireland are based on you having another car as your everyday driver. As such they are a supplemental policy which do not in themselves attract a no - claims discount. First Ireland used to have a policy that insured classic cars as everyday drivers but discontinued it years ago. I’ve yet to find a company who offers such a product since

I just got a quote for renewal of my insurance with Liberty
    6 years no claims
    1.3 1997 Toyota Starlet
    €925

I check to see how much BOI would be to insure my dads car, a 2012 1.6 TDI Octavia and was quoted €450 online

I called BOI but they won't take on new customers with cars over 16 years old
    I also tried Chill and even though they are a brokers they couldn't find anyone that would insure a car that old. They told me to call Libertry directly but that doesn't help since I already have a quote with them.

Has anyone here taken out a new policy this year on an old car and few so who with?
    I just want a few companies I can call so I can see if the liberty quote for renewal is reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you call Liberty you may be able to negotiate a reduction.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I just got a quote for renewal of my insurance with Liberty
    6 years no claims
    1.3 1997 Toyota Starlet
    €925

I check to see how much BOI would be to insure my dads car, a 2012 1.6 TDI Octavia and was quoted €450 online

I called BOI but they won't take on new customers with cars over 16 years old
    I also tried Chill and even though they are a brokers they couldn't find anyone that would insure a car that old. They told me to call Libertry directly but that doesn't help since I already have a quote with them.

Has anyone here taken out a new policy this year on an old car and few so who with?
    I just want a few companies I can call so I can see if the liberty quote for renewal is reasonable.

Did you try Aviva. My 01 golf is insured with them

No, I'll try them monday. Are you a new customer with them? Companies will usually renew but may not take on new customers with older cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

No, I'll try them monday. Are you a new customer with them? Companies will usually renew but may not take on new customers with older cars.

New customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

physioman wrote: »
    New customer

Aviva is taking on old cars again!

They're the ones that started all the boll*x with old cars!

Advertisement