Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Albon to stay at Red Bull for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Delighted for him. Well deserved. Hope he can kick on and become a top driver and competitor for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gasly staying at Toro Rosso aswell.

All thats left is for Williams to announce Latifi.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gasly staying at Toro Rosso aswell.

All thats left is for Williams to announce Latifi.

Is he the one without the points for a Superlicence?

Is he the one without the points for a Superlicence?

I think he finally has the points from F2 this year he just needs the mileage which is why he is running 5 of the last 6 FP1's this year.

• Advertisement

I think he finally has the points from F2 this year he just needs the mileage which is why he is running 5 of the last 6 FP1's this year.

I wonder who's car is he getting to do that? Or will they share it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Hulkenberg officially off the grid at the end of the season, he said he won’t be returning as well if it happened. Leaves F1 with a record no one wants and will take some beating, most races without a podium finish. Brazil 2012 & Germany 2019 the closest he’d ever get to achieving it

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

Delighted for him. Well deserved. Hope he can kick on and become a top driver and competitor for years to come.

Same here, he's surprised me by going quietly about his business but always being there or thereabouts at race end. Outscoring Max (who makes a lot more noise and seems a much more volatile character) is no small feat, good luck to him in 2020. Glad Gasly is getting a second bite at the cherry at Torro Rosso too.

OSI wrote: »
    Kubica's apparently.

I have to say I think that's the right choice. I wondered if they'd be explicit and just do it. I think Williams comes across as too soft sometimes and It's no harm to see them pull the trigger and take the time from the slower driver - who won't be there next year.

patmahe wrote: »
    Same here, he's surprised me by going quietly about his business but always being there or thereabouts at race end. Outscoring Max (who makes a lot more noise and seems a much more volatile character) is no small feat, good luck to him in 2020. Glad Gasly is getting a second bite at the cherry at Torro Rosso too.

Yeah I'd agree with all that.

Gasley has been OK at TR since the demotion. Hopefully he can get it together next year and make a case for a drive at a top team again.

Is Kvyat signed for next year?

• Advertisement

Hulkenberg officially off the grid at the end of the season, he said he won’t be returning as well if it happened. Leaves F1 with a record no one wants and will take some beating, most races without a podium finish[/s]. Brazil 2012 & Germany 2019 the closest he’d ever get to achieving it
    Sainz isnt that far away from beating it. Only 77 races behind Hulk and he is only 25 years old. Unless McLaren can get up onto the podium from 2021 I cant see Sainz getting to a bigger team.

I have to say I think that's the right choice. I wondered if they'd be explicit and just do it. I think Williams comes across as too soft sometimes and It's no harm to see them pull the trigger and take the time from the slower driver - who won't be there next year.

Ehhhh they arent. Kubica sat out FP1 in Mexico, Russell sat out FP1 in Austin, now Kubica sits out FP1 Brazil. Williams are rotating who sits out FP1 every second race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sainz isnt that far away from beating it. Only 77 races behind Hulk and he is only 25 years old. Unless McLaren can get up onto the podium from 2021 I cant see Sainz getting to a bigger team.

If and when Vettel leaves Ferrari, I could see Sainz as a contender for the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Is Kvyat signed for next year?

Yes , after Albon went up he was told he was in for next year again ...but this is junior Redbull so that is probably only valid week to week

Sainz will end up on the podium in the next year or 2, 77 races is almost 4 seasons. If the McLaren chassis keeps improving then with a Mercedes engine it’ll happen in 21 or sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jordan 199 wrote: »

The right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

skipper_G wrote: »
    2.5 seconds quicker! That's a phenomenal level of improvement from McLaren.

What's even more interesting is how much more settled this season car is - in that clip, it was very clear how Alonso was practically wrestling the car into each corner - and had to hold off flooring the throttle for absurdly long times coming out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Delighted for Albon, he's just gone about the business of racing with no fuss. I think he's surprised plenty of people

Who was the last RB driver to go straight into the senior team in their debut season excluding 2005?

Who was the last RB driver to go straight into the senior team in their debut season excluding 2005?

There's only Liuzzi in 05 that I can think of. Robert Doornboss had a few races for them in 06 but he already had a half dozen races for Minardi under his belt by then. The rest of the graduates all spent at least a season somewhere else I think

• Advertisement

There's only Liuzzi in 05 that I can think of. Robert Doornboss had a few races for them in 06 but he already had a half dozen races for Minardi under his belt by then. The rest of the graduates all spent at least a season somewhere else I think

Yeah that's what i was trying to think of and came up with the same names, the reason as you well know i skipped 05 is due to it being their first season. Helmut Marko must secretly be thinking he should have put Albon in the senior team from Melbourne.

Yeah that's what i was trying to think of and came up with the same names, the reason as you well know i skipped 05 is due to it being their first season. Helmut Marko must secretly be thinking he should have put Albon in the senior team from Melbourne.

I would instead hope Marko is secretly thinking that he's lucky to still be in his position. Given the state of the Red bull junior program at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

I would instead hope Marko is secretly thinking that he's lucky to still be in his position. Given the state of the Red bull junior program at the moment

To be fair the junior program was a victim of its own success after Max caused the super licence points system to come in. Dropping drivers after an off season and drafting a replacement are far harder for RB now when multiple seasons worth of points are needed to get a licence.

Sainz will end up on the podium in the next year or 2, 77 races is almost 4 seasons. If the McLaren chassis keeps improving then with a Mercedes engine it’ll happen in 21 or sooner

He might. Assuming the mclaren can become the 4th best team - and I would expect very long odds on them seriously challenging the top 3. He's still relying on being 7th fastest on the day when 4 of the cars in front of him balls it up. So it could happen if he stays around long enough and if the mclaren is best of the rest and with a fair chunk of luck, he's next best when at least 4of the top 6 retire or mess up.

When's the lad time someone from outside the top 3 teams was on the podium? Stroll last year in Baku?

He might. Assuming the mclaren can become the 4th best team - and I would expect very long odds on them seriously challenging the top 3. He's still relying on being 7th fastest on the day when 4 of the cars in front of him balls it up. So it could happen if he stays around long enough and if the mclaren is best of the rest and with a fair chunk of luck, he's next best when at least 4of the top 6 retire or mess up.

When's the lad time someone from outside the top 3 teams was on the podium? Stroll last year in Baku?

Kvyat in Germany 2019. Stroll in Baku was 2017

guyfo wrote: »
    To be fair the junior program was a victim of its own success after Max caused the super licence points system to come in. Dropping drivers after an off season and drafting a replacement are far harder for RB now when multiple seasons worth of points are needed to get a licence.

guyfo hit the nail on the head here

McLaren are the 4th best team as it stands. They've made serious gains this year, if they keep up that momentum it's not beyond the realms of possibility

McLaren are the 4th best team as it stands. They've made serious gains this year, if they keep up that momentum it's not beyond the realms of possibility

The fact that they are on course to finish ahead of the works team who is powering them is impressive as well.

Kvyat in Germany 2019. Stroll in Baku was 2017

Good memory. Podiums for non top 3 team drivers are rare of late. The 2021 regulations might make things a bit unpredictable and maybe some teams will forego some development in 2020 to focus on the new regs. So, who knows?

• Advertisement

True they're fourth best now. I think it was pretty fluid for the first half of the season. But they have done great development as you say. So if they can keep it going then they could be fourth again next year. I don't think there's been a consistent fourth place team over the last few years.

In any case, I think anyone with a soul is happy to see mclaren get it together.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement