Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Champion of Champions - 2nd-8th November on ITV4

Options
  • 01-11-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Some good snooker to look forward to this week. 16 man field including tournament winners and some of the highest ranked players not to win one. Each 1/4 of the draw is played out over a day. Disappointingly it's best of 7 in the first round which makes little sense to me.

Trump and O'Sullivan are joint favourites at 3/1 and go on Wednesday and Thursday respectively. Can't see how they make them joint favourites based on what Ronnie has done so far this season but a short week against a tough field might arouse his interest a bit.

Snooker will be a great help for the next few dark, cold, locked down weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

€50 on Jimmy, could come out with a nice pay day?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Trying to remember last time jimmy actually beat a top player in a big tournament but then he should have beaten ronnie in this last year. Robbo doesn't tend to go all kamikaze like ronnie does sometimes, but you never know.

I've often thought about (in these best of 7 comps) - though never done it (tried it once, but the machine in Paddy's wouldn't allow for all the combos) - having a 'cheeky punt' , by backing all the outsiders in 'combination doubles' , as the theory being that the 'outsiders' would have a better chance over the shorter format than their odds would suggest.

Granted, there's only 16 players in this, and there would not be such a huge disparity in their rankings and abilities, so maybe for another time in a 'Home Nations' with a bigger field and online which I shall have to sign up to 'going forward'.

Just throwing my theory out there. Don't wish to go off on too much betting talk, so apologies for that.

Since I'm watching ITV4 atm,I think Jack Regan would have made a great ref.. I don't think we'd have as many YouTube clips to watch of Ronnie 'doing his own thing' though, against the ref's optimistic directives :D

It could be a decent theory. Only way is to test it, really. I recall subscribing to a good stats site a couple of years ago and one i remember that surprised me was the amount of favourites winning in bo7 matches. Traditionally, the opening tournaments of the season were best for shocks, on account of players being a bit undercooked probably, but the tournaments so far this season have gone remarkably to form. Not many huge shocks at all.

^^^
    I noticed that alright with the recent TV tournament Joe - started off with 128 players in it I think.

A lot of the favourites prevailed; seemed to buck the trend a bit, but I'm thinking back to the lst 3-5 yrs when I first noticed lower
    ranked players winning regular at massive prices - likes of Bingham/Murphy, or Judd to name 3, often being beat by massive outsiders
    ranging from 9/2 - 7/1, as well as quite a few winning at bigger than 5/4. Didn't (couldn't) do the maths really, but I figured it was something to at least take note of. Also, when to do the perms etc.. Would last 64 be more or less profitable with ~ 4 times the amount of doubles perms (at tiny units) than the last 32.. Will look into it more again...

To be effective one would probably have to venture to a few of the layers - anyway frame 1 handy enough there, should be an enteraining few days.

• Advertisement

^^^
    I noticed that alright with the recent TV tournament Joe - started off with 128 players in it I think.

A lot of the favourites prevailed; seemed to buck the trend a bit, but I'm thinking back to the lst 3-5 yrs when I first noticed lower
    ranked players winning regular at massive prices - likes of Bingham/Murphy, or Judd to name 3, often being beat by massive outsiders
    ranging from 9/2 - 7/1, as well as quite a few winning at bigger than 5/4. Didn't (couldn't) do the maths really, but I figured it was something to at least take note of. Also, when to do the perms etc.. Would last 64 be more or less profitable with ~ 4 times the amount of doubles perms (at tiny units) than the last 32.. Will look into it more again...

To be effective one would probably have to venture to a few of the layers - anyway frame 1 handy enough there, should be an enteraining few days.

Agree on the theory. With short format and multi table format, it should by any logic lead to more erratic results. The likes of ding, murphy and one or two others do seem to have a habit of losing at very short odds and i am partial to a low odds lay on the exchanges every now again but wouldn't have the patience or inclination to try to make more of it tbh.

Been a long time since any fan could realistically expect Jimmy to be competitive. I can't remember the last time he got past the second round of any comp (seniors aside) , and it's an achievement for James to just get to round 2 this last while. Sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Been a long time since any fan could realistically expect Jimmy to be competitive.

Nearly 20 years now apart from the odd game here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Jimmy White was awful today. I watched the full match and while Robbo played well when Jimmy had his chances he was missing easy balls by a country mile. Even the commentator said after one miss ' that ball was so wide it has ended up in another county!. He missed a simple yellow off the spot and a simple black off the spot as well as a few others. He looked like a club player out there today.

Ding has just butchered a simple red by chipping the cue ball leaving the frame and match at John Higgins mercy. No excuses just terrible mistake.

• Advertisement

Johns safety game has been poor all match and he has given Ding a second chance to clear up.

John will be livid with himself letting Ding back in to win. That killer instinct definately on the wane. Ding marches on 4-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Didn't see this afternoon. Surely a new record for least area of the screen taken up the table on the main view?

Nice 139 from Robbo. Interesting listening to Alan McManus earlier where he said it a few times that Ding lacks fight and gives up too easily. Or words to that effect. I definately agree with that. Great player has all the talent but sometimes his will to win goes missing in action.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Didn't see this afternoon. Surely a new record for least area of the screen taken up the table on the main view?

Haven't noticed that myself.. Looks no different than usual tbh..

Robbo did the hard work dislodging the final red from the cushion but then missed the pretty elementary middle pocket pot. Big mistake. Ding gobbles up the balls and leads 2-1.

Haven't noticed that myself.. Looks no different than usual tbh..

Compare it with the BBC view....

_47097053_osullivanfoul_512.jpg

zuutroy wrote: »
    Compare it with the BBC view....

_47097053_osullivanfoul_512.jpg

Bit of a difference there alright. Table doesn't go as far up towards the top of the screen compared to the image there.

I guess if the view of the table is acceptable, i don't generally notice I'm missing out on an extra few percent.

Have referee's being wearing masks before today? I dont remember them doing it?

I don't like the structures of whatever they are that are in the background.

• Advertisement

They were in some events. I think Matchroom events they have to wear them at.

Haven't noticed the refs wearing masks until today myself. Must be a new rule.

Some pot on the brown!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Tough on the refs wearing that for hours on end. When it was not warranted before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hendry calling out the '9 ball' pockets for pots down the cushion.

What next for the poor referee's? Having to wear elbow pads for the pre-match greetings?

Poor enough quality match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A couple of strange decisions by Ding in that frame.

That was a compelling frame of snooker. Robbo lucky enough to win it, some of his shot choices were iffy to say the least.

• Advertisement

Hendry calling out the '9 ball' pockets for pots down the cushion.

Same every year with these tables, different to the star ones used on the main tour.

Advertisement