Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

00sully wrote: »
    I've done this very recently. Breakdown of costs:

pre-cut 12mm MDF kit: 80 (ebay)
    Plexi glass: 50 (b&q)
    Pi 3 (had spare sd card): 40
    WiFi dongle: 10
    Dell 19" 5:4 monitor: 45 (adverts.ie)
    2 x buffalo SNES pads (because you know..4 player bomberman): 50 (amazon)
    Joystick set: 50 (ultracabs)
    Star wars decals: 40 (
    Sundry (screws, paint, usb extension cables, chrome trim etc...) 40
    Total: too much :pac: (not including the IKEA island I bought to stand this thing in my kitchen)

I had some LED's from ikea lying around and some old usb speakers so no cost there - whoop!

went way over budget but very happy with the result :D

410325.jpg

410326.jpg

Inspiration / guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/2-Player-Bartop-Arcade-Machine-Powered-by-Pi/
    Absolutely amazing

Love the design

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

That is stunning 00sully, but just a tip for the plexi glass... 50 euros is way too much to pay, you should be able to get the same size from a local glazer for around 15 euro tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Access wrote: »
    That is stunning 00sully, but just a tip for the plexi glass... 50 euros is way too much to pay, you should be able to get the same size from a local glazer for around 15 euro tops.

Aye most likely I think mine was 42. It was too big and thick as well I defo could have saved money there but bought it on impulse while in B&Q pretty much for convenience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Aye most likely I think mine was 42. It was too big and thick as well I defo could have saved money there but bought it on impulse while in B&Q pretty much for convenience!

But aside from that it looks amazing... it basically what i have pictured mine to look like... i think i have a spare half hour towards the end of this month... might start then! :D

00sully I would love to try that build or similar but im a nervous nelly :pac:

• Advertisement

00sully I would love to try that build or similar but im a nervous nelly :pac:

:D I had the inscrutable link bookmarked for ages before taking the plunge! Still have a bit to do, electrics at the back for instance to make plug in more convenient.

You can always try a 1 player kit which would be easier. The mini nes release set me off on a crusade to get this done! I even play it every now and again especially 2 player games like bubble bubble and street fighter (which wobbles the whole cabinet while furious button mashing ensues!) :D

:D I had the inscrutable link bookmarked for ages before taking the plunge! Still have a bit to do, electrics at the back for instance to make plug in more convenient.

You can always try a 1 player kit which would be easier. The mini nes release set me off on a crusade to get this done! I even play it every now and again especially 2 player games like bubble bubble and street fighter (which wobbles the whole cabinet while furious button mashing ensues!) :D
    it really is a work of art and im not saying that lightly absolutely stunning sir well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm extremely jealous. That is beautiful work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

The Pi Zero now has wifi and Bluetooth built in.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve X2 wrote: »
    The Pi Zero now has wifi and Bluetooth built in.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family/

Just ordered one, though given the only slight use my previous one had I'm not hopeful for this.
    That said, with wifi and bluetooth built in, I could set it up as a simple emustation and stick to the back of a TV in the sunroom, just mounted an older 42" flat panel there the other day.
    I'm using a Now TV box for Plex right now, but this Pi Zero W might be better, plus I get gaming too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Be quick, The Pi Hut have stock of the Zero W. Ordered within the last few minutes..

Raspberry Pi Zero W - £9.60 (+ £4 P&P Europe)

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The official Pi Zero case seems like good value, 3 lids, one for mounting the Pi camera.. a short Pi camera ribbon cable and four rubber feet included.

Very dinky, wifi and bluetooth. I predict a rash of new handhelds and compact, under TV, emulation units.. :)

PiZeroW001x700.jpg

Pi_Zero_W002x700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The new Zero is sold out everywhere already.
    I've just installed Pi musicbox on an old original Pi 256mb model and squashed it into my Bose Sounddock series1
    Give it a new lease of life, it's pretty stealthy and the original dock connector still works for the old iPod classic, unfortunately I had to run a second power supply for the pi as I kept getting interference using the Bose one although I will try resolve that again at some stage

bose-sounddock-series-1-digital-music-system-ipod-iphone-w-power-supply-remote-8f917b6ce1a1955b21421b193251dfe2.jpg
    Not my image, but you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Selling off my variety of Raspberry Pi Zero including a Zero W with onboard wifi and bluetooth. Don't think I'm kicking the arse out the prices, I won't link to my ads as Im not sure Mods would be too keen on that, but if you search the zero4u hub you'll find my listings (and don't touch my stapler)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I got a PI 3 at the weekend and set up retropie. It's wonderful but I have some emulator issues. Is there somewhere people can chat about it online? (I know we can't do it here)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

faceman wrote: »
    I got a PI 3 at the weekend and set up retropie. It's wonderful but I have some emulator issues. Is there somewhere people can chat about it online? (I know we can't do it here)

Facebook has several groups, couldn't recommend one over another, but there's a few to pick from.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lads where would I get something like that Star Wars cabinet 2 pages back made up , I wouldn't be able to make something like that , but I'd defo pay for one to be done for me ? Is there anywhere or anyone that could point me in the right direction ?

Lads where would I get something like that Star Wars cabinet 2 pages back made up , I wouldn't be able to make something like that , but I'd defo pay for one to be done for me ? Is there anywhere or anyone that could point me in the right direction ?

They are pricey to buy pre-made like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-Arcade-Bartop-Made-in-Italy-2-PLAYERS-/302234192619?hash=item465e8fcaeb:g:VA4AAOSwSlBYr4Ot

I am not the best craft wise but I was adamant I could make the star wars cabinet above after seeing an indestructible post here: http://www.instructables.com/id/2-Player-Bartop-Arcade-Machine-Powered-by-Pi/

So I took some parts off that and short-cut a lot of others like buying the bar-top MDF kit pre-cut and fabricated (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARTOP-ARCADE-MACHINE-2-PLAYER-DIY-FLAT-PACK-KIT-12MM-MDF-THE-ORIGINAL-/162469425641?epid=1432250216&hash=item25d3eeb1e9:g:~z0AAOSwdGFYsbbJ). It was one of the most re-warding things I've every built! I even had it at my stag and wedding :pac:

The software part is a cinch if you are anyway adept at configuring the pi but there are a few pitfalls to be aware of. PM me if you feel like you want to build it I can help you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's noting tricky hard about setting up a RP for Retropie, but it can be infuriating at times.
    There are SD card images on torrent sites out there that would suit your needs but we can't link to them.
    And, as the great Bandit says, if something isn't working you'll have no skills learned to fix it.
    Give yourself a week and you'll have the thing done, setting up the controller can be the trickiest thing, the rest just refining little bird along the way.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's noting tricky hard about setting up a RP for Retropie, but it can be infuriating at times.
    There are SD card images on torrent sites out there that would suit your needs but we can't link to them.
    And, as the great Bandit says, if something isn't working you'll have no skills learned to fix it.
    Give yourself a week and you'll have the thing done, setting up the controller can be the trickiest thing, the rest just refining little bird along the way.

I tried everything from the previous threads (bought the WD hard drive as well..), but when one bit worked something else broke..for some reason it would never store my joy-pad settings, maybe it was something stupid,so just gave up.
    I might give it a go again

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement