Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Not seen that yet, you using a Pi3, overclocked?

Standard Pi3, ya if you go to the config via F12 and then modify something selecting 'reset' or 'resume' drops back to the console. Not really investigated it yet though so maybe I'm doing something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Standard Pi3, ya if you go to the config via F12 and then modify something selecting 'reset' or 'resume' drops back to the console. Not really investigated it yet though so maybe I'm doing something stupid.

Well I've change settings a bit using the F12 menu and reset and resumed and it worked well so far. Even setup classic workbench without issue.
    But then again, only messed with it for a couple hours last night.

Edit:
    I did run a full OS and firmware update before doing anything on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

tony stark wrote: »
    Hi. I bought a rasberry pi with all the games and kodi preinstalled. Im an absolute luddite when it comes to tech hence buying it ready to go. I bought it so I could play games from when i was a kid. But....its really pixelated for snes and megadrive games. Any way someone here could help me out? Is my tv too big? Id love to get this fixed in time for christmas to suprise the bro.WILLING TO PAY!!!

There are filters you can use, not simple if you're not sure what you're doing but there are guides on YouTube on how to, search for easy filter settings retropie or something like that. Sadly at the moment that's just the way retro games look on new big tvs. You could just pick up a CRT TV somewhere and the games will look pretty much the same as 20 odd years ago.

Sorry I can't be much more help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Looking for a bit of help with my retropie.
    Bought it with everything preinstalled and today was just playing some SNES games when the cat pulled out the power cable.
    Anyways to cut a long story short I'm now stuck on a black screen with some stuff about
    Raspian GNU/Linux 8 retropie tty2
    Retropie login:

It doesn't boot any further than that.
    Do I have to do a rebuild on the SD card or is there a simpler fix??

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of help with my retropie.
    Bought it with everything preinstalled and today was just playing some SNES games when the cat pulled out the power cable.
    Anyways to cut a long story short I'm now stuck on a black screen with some stuff about
    Raspian GNU/Linux 8 retropie tty2
    Retropie login:

It doesn't boot any further than that.
    Do I have to do a rebuild on the SD card or is there a simpler fix??

Thanks.

Try this link
    https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/ssh

Basically, login with the standard Raspberry Pi
    Username:pi
    Password:raspberry
    (you won't be able to see the password as you type, so just take your time)

Then type
    sudo reboot

this should reboot the system properly, and may restart properly, but you should be prepared to format and rewrite the SD card.
    It's a good idea that, when you have a solid working setup, that you save an image of the card to storage, for times like this when it gets corrupted.

You could also try
    sudo shutdown -h now
    This will properly shut down the system and allow you to restart properly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Try this link
    https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/ssh

Basically, login with the standard Raspberry Pi
    (you won't be able to see the password as you type, so just take your time)

Then type

this should reboot the system properly, and may restart properly, but you should be prepared to format and rewrite the SD card.
    It's a good idea that, when you have a solid working setup, that you save an image of the card to storage, for times like this when it gets corrupted.

You could also try

This will properly shut down the system and allow you to restart properly.

Tried all that.
    As its booting up I can see that it says some of the data is corrupt.
    Looks like Im going to have to start again.
    Next question is there any way to retrieve the roms from the sd card?
    Card size shows up smaller in windows so the roms folder cant be seen.

Can you log into it, over the wireless network, see the folder structure that way?
    Use Filezilla or similar

Ciderman--you are the man.
    Was able to get into retro pie setup using this command from the link you sent me--thankfully I still had internet access on the Pi.

sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh

Then I just went to manage packages--updated all packages and it now works again.

I owe you one.
    -I ws not looking forward to rebuilding that card with over 4000 roms on it!!!

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ciderman--you are the man.
    Was able to get into retro pie setup using this command from the link you sent me--thankfully I still had internet access on the Pi.

sudo /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh

Then I just went to manage packages--updated all packages and it now works again.

I owe you one.
    -I ws not looking forward to rebuilding that card with over 4000 roms on it!!!

Grand.
    You can pay me back by not mentioning the word "r*m" on this forum again!
    The ones you mention are, of course, all public domain, in their entirety and so I don't have to infract your ass!

Glad it works though.
    Might make that image now and store it somewhere safe!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Grand.
    You can pay me back by not mentioning the word "r*m" on this forum again!
    Apologies :o:o
    The ones you mention are, of course, all public domain, in their entirety and so I don't have to infract your ass!

Yep all public domain..would never touch anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My brother wants me to set one of these up for him as a Christmas present.

Have a big box of goodies for him - Pi in a nice handy case, micro SD card loaded and setup with Retropie, SD card adapter, HDMI cable, micro USB cable and plug, 2 USB cable extenders and 2 Logitech F310 USB controllers (decided to go USB rather than bluetooth to reduce support calls).

Great present I think. Looking forward to 2 player Mario Kart! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

USB controller are the safest bet alright, but I just hooked up a SFC30 to my retropie and was surprised how simple the setup was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Been out of the loop for a while with retropie... meaning to do a build again soon...

Do i now hear you can clone a micro sd card with ease?

How does the whole extend partition and all that work with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Ok. Got an old crt tv and hdmi to scart converter as my pi only has hdmi out. Plug it all in and only colured lines appear on the screen!?!?! Any body come up agains this before? After researching online it said to rewrite a config file. Not sure how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ok. Got an old crt tv and hdmi to scart converter as my pi only has hdmi out. Plug it all in and only colured lines appear on the screen!?!?! Any body come up agains this before? After researching online it said to rewrite a config file. Not sure how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks

Is it a PiZero? If its a 'normal' Pi without a phono output, the composite is still there but its part of the 3.5mm jack - more info

If it is a PiZero, you can still get composite video out of it, if that's what you really want.

FdqFeE1.jpg

AxWJQeA.jpg

wx8v2dp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Where's best to pickup a Pi? I'm looking for a decent starter kit for the v3. Maplin have a kit but it's the v2.

xabi wrote: »
    Where's best to pickup a Pi? I'm looking for a decent starter kit for the v3. Maplin have a kit but it's the v2.

I get most of my Pi stuff from Pimoroni. You might find it a Euro cheaper elsewhere, but they have always been good for me.

https://shop.pimoroni.com

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-3-starter-kit

Ok so it has the phono output beside the hdmi output. So would the video signal and audio come out of that phono output? Should I buy a phono lead that converts to the yellow red and white rca leads? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

xabi wrote: »

Got mine off Amazon & The Pi Hut.

I've a pi2 running MotionEyesOS.

And a pi3 running retropie/kodi. Very handy that the 360/ps3 controllers are plug-and-play (well, I had to enable the ps3 driver in the retropie setup... but got the bluetooth working on it!)

Ok so it has the phono output beside the hdmi output. So would the video signal and audio come out of that phono output? Should I buy a phono lead that converts to the yellow red and white rca leads? Thanks

You'll need a simple 3.5mm jack to stereo phono (male) connector, then you'll have the white, red and yellow composite connectors you need for a standard TV.

Got the 3.5 jack to stereo phono with red white and yellow. Still nothing on the screen. Do I need to rewrite a config?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Got the 3.5 jack to stereo phono with red white and yellow. Still nothing on the screen. Do I need to rewrite a config?

I had to swap the red and yellow so that red was my "video" and yellow was my "right audio" see here:
    http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/07/raspberry-pi-model-b-3-5mm-audiovideo-jack/

Tried that just there. Still nothing. Head officially wrecked! That's two connections I've bought for it now. Hdmi to scart and phono to rca. Only straight hdmi to hdmi works! Willing to pay if anyone can sort this!!

It should auto detect the correct video output. But if it doesnt you'll need to configure the config.txt to force it.

I cant remember the config exactly, but if you do a quick google you'll find it. It's something like enabling sdtv_mode=2 for PAL video and disabling hdmi_force_hotplug mode.

Got it sorted. Thanks everyone. Delighted!!!!!!!

Been out of the loop for a while with retropie... meaning to do a build again soon...

Access wrote: »

You could always clone a SD with ease since the first Raspberry Pi using the default Win32diskimager they use for writing the OS to SD/Micro SD. Just copy the SD to an image and write back as required. It's always worth doing when you make changes to a good working image so you can roll back to it if it goes pear shaped.

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »
    You could always clone a SD with ease since the first Raspberry Pi using the default Win32diskimager they use for writing the OS to SD/Micro SD. Just copy the SD to an image and write back as required. It's always worth doing when you make changes to a good working image so you can roll back to it if it goes pear shaped.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that could be done as i've used Win32diskimager a good few times.

Are there any restrictions? can you clone a 8gb card to a new 64gb card and expand the partition using the pi, or is it a case of its an 8gb, so has to be a new 8gb?

Advertisement