Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pi0 is a bit slow on boot up, if you've got the space available then use at least a Pi2.

Yeah, I don't need a total solution, I've got the RP2 heart beating away in the AWSD at the moment.
    The RP0 is just to run the classics, a stand in for the likes of a 60in1 cart, at least that's my thoughts.
    I'll get a 3rd party Saturn pad and butcher it for its innards and splice them into the Tankstick, instant Saturn arcade stick and I can get the most out of my very arcade leaning Saturn collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got a dead Retron 5 a while ago but couldn't fix it (apparently these things are incredibly unreliable anyway).

So decided to convert it to a Retron Pi, basically it was an emulation box to start with so seemed fitting. I wanted to integrate the Pi as much as possible so took a while to get everything sorted out.

So all the external controller ports are working.
    Power switch starts up and shuts down the Pi properly.
    Front panel LEDs light up depending on what emulator is launched.

Only external mod was to add a USB port, had planned and bought a micro SD to SD card extension but decided not to bother as keeping the SD card internally is probably a bit safer and less chance of losing it.

Have kept the number of emulators low on it (NES/SNES/Megadrive/Master System/32X/PC-Engine) in keeping with the original design. Only got the top 100 games or so for each emulator as well.

Still tweaking the software a bit, getting all the metadata and scalers sorted but the hardware side is finished :)

Yep the USB port is upside down.

26596175576_ce5464c906_c.jpg

PI in the center, 2 microcontrollers near the controller ports convert the controller inputs to USB. Microcontroller top right handles the power and the PI controller the front panel LEDs directly using gpio calls.

26019118803_bc4f2be2cf_c.jpg

Kept the cartridge slots intact, adds a nice bit of weight to the console.

26596178066_18a4d1e984_c.jpg

Not investigated the Retron 5 controller to much yet, apparently it used a propriety protocol and suffered from poor latency so need to think on an alternative if I'm to ever use it.

Well that's amazing, kudos !
    Kudos (from the Ancient Greek: κῦδος) is acclaim or praise for exceptional achievement.
    Kudos may refer to:
    Kudos (album), a 2000 album by Trio Töykeät
    Kudos (computer game), a life simulation game produced by Positech Games
    Kudos (computer program), a vocational-counseling computer program
    Kudos (granola bar), a brand of chocolate-covered cereal bar
    Kudos (production company), a UK-based film and television production company
    Kudos (scholarly reputation), an online service for researchers and their institutions
    Kudos, a fictional currency used by the Dwellers in The Algebraist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You forgot
    Kudos (Dreamcast Game), what you get for sliding around London, at night, in the rain, in a car... sideways (MSR FTW!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Superb to see you got some use out of it. Great work :)

Corholio wrote: »
    Superb to see you got some use out of it. Great work :)

Getting great use out of it, actually a nice playable console now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

eddhorse wrote: »

I wonder if the artwork from the BerryCade image that was posted here would also work in this?

I see over on ukvac the new revision of the jamma pi is up for sale.
    have a video amp this time

160e delivered including a pi3

tickle me interested

Cool nice project and not a bad price. Maybe it'll trigger Pandora's etc to up their game a bit.

Kinda sucks though if you already bought the previous one given the requirement for a video amp should have been pretty obvious from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

tickle me interested

Got a link?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Got a link?
    I think this is it

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/new-multiboard-raspberryjamma_topic349088.html?KW=raspberry
    MODEL 2: the supermodel emulator can run on a pi but is far from full speed and playable. I haven't tried it personally but I've read it's about 5fps on a rpi2 (I forget what game).

I can offer a video amp added to the underside of the board for an extra AU$20. It's a little hacked in but works well. New version of the hardware will be coming soon with it designed into the board.

Quoted from the last page of posts there.

Not bad, €162 for the Pi3, adapter and posted to the EU

I'll deffo be getting one of these in a few months.

Too pricey for me for a juiced up pi.
    Does that include shipping?

Yeah, that's shipping from Down Under, plus the sd is configured with everything bar the "files"
    He's charging €121 for the version without the Pi, including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

tickle me interested

Keep me in the loop if you're ordering one of these I'd be well interested in one too

will prob be a few months tbh,
    maybe he'll do a bulk deal ?
    i know mozie is after one too

Damn, plans for RP0 on hold as there's no way to pull audio off of the PCB without building something electronic-y, which I lack the skill set to do :(
    Anyone know what the best solution is?
    I wanted to get a composite signal for video, easy to to, and audio, not so easy, so I can fit it into a portable TV

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn, plans for RP0 on hold as there's no way to pull audio off of the PCB without building something electronic-y, which I lack the skill set to do :(
    Anyone know what the best solution is?
    I wanted to get a composite signal for video, easy to to, and audio, not so easy, so I can fit it into a portable TV

Any good to ya?

https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/phat-dac

pHAT_DAC_3_of_3_large.JPG

I was hoping not to spend much on this project at all, but it might do the trick.
    Alternatively I may sell the zero and just get a Pi2 instead, that'll have everything right there to start with, plus I can make an image of my current set up and just bung that in.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was hoping not to spend much on this project at all, but it might do the trick.
    Alternatively I may sell the zero and just get a Pi2 instead, that'll have everything right there to start with, plus I can make an image of my current set up and just bung that in.

Might as well hang on to the Pi zero, you might have a need for it in the future and it only cost about 5 euro new anyway.

I just got paid for an art class, that's running one not posing in the nip for one (more Ole Jack's scene anyway, plus I don't want to go scaring the women folk), I'll invest in that DAC for the Zero.
    Sure, if I get sick of it in this project I can make a music streamer out of it.

I'm still trying to find a working menu system for my RP arcade setup which doesn't look like bum and can scrape missing artwork. Seems the scrapers which are mostly used are pulling from sources which are now down :(

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I'm still trying to find a working menu system for my RP arcade setup which doesn't look like bum and can scrape missing artwork. Seems the scrapers which are mostly used are pulling from sources which are now down :(

Scratch that - just found a image :) plug'n'play'ness!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pi3 for €33 over in Bargain Alerts:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590788

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Thinking of getting a pi, how good is retro pi "ps1 ect " and can you use a few differnt SD cards and change it to be a media player ect, also how good is it as a media player?

Flaregon wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a pi, how good is retro pi "ps1 ect " and can you use a few differnt SD cards and change it to be a media player ect, also how good is it as a media player?

As a media play they are great - even better if you connect it to a TV using HDMI with the TV supporting CEC fully. Using your TV remote to control it makes it very seamless.

RPi Zero back in stock in various places. I grabbed another one from Pimoroni for 4 sterling.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Steve X2 wrote: »
    RPi Zero back in stock in various places. I grabbed another one from Pimoroni for 4 sterling.

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero

A revised Raspberry Pi Zero, Revision 1.3 with a camera port.

Courtesy of Alex Eames. (http://raspi.tv)

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    A revised Raspberry Pi Zero, Revision 1.3 with a camera port.

Courtesy of Alex Eames. (http://raspi.tv)

That'll be handy :)

Advertisement