Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rasberry pi 2, what do you do with yours?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How much were they selling them for?
    only downside is its a bit pricey 55..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just fiddling around with my RP B+ the other day, refining the games and emulators on offer, when the wifi decided to stop connecting to it, at least from the PC side.
    I mean, the RP itself is still broadcasting away, and it can still connect to the internet but Filezilla, Cyberduck and even a terminal window from Putty won't connect.
    Don't know what is going on.
    Powered it off, powered it back on, took out and reinserted the dongle (waa hey!) still no luck.
    Very annoying, as I just need to take off a few of the emulators that don't work well on the older hardware, before I hot glue this thing into the little Sony TV.
    Control-wise, and because I already have one doing arcade duties in the cabinet, I settled on the simple option of a cheap Argos wired PS3 controller, which is working perfectly with everything, at least so far.
    Power supply, now that's a question, Kerbdog suggested finding a 5v point on the TV's own PCB and draw the power from there, meaning no need for a second PSU for the RP, but I'm not so sure, could be just as handy to shorten the TV's own power cable, pop a slim two socket adaptor on the back and run a single cable from there, not the neatest or prettiest, but it'll work and I won't have to pressure Kerb to do any more soldering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

I know it's not strictly on topic so apologies.
    Found a very cheap USB/ethernet hub that works well with my pi zero. (powered by the pi using a micro to USB adapter)

http://s.aliexpress.com/yQfuIbAr

3 USB hubs and the RJ45, about 3 euro and the seller I used delivered in just under 2 weeks.

Sounds a bit shilly that post but thought it was pretty handy for the money and makes my zero a bit more useable.

Going to put retropie and a few games on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gotta give a tonne of credit to the youtuber "Floob". Videos can be rather long for the info inside but the bits that are there are pure gold.

Decided to go down the multi SD card route for now as it gets messy mixing arcade and console games imo. So I got his attractmode SD card image for my arcade setup so nice preview videos playing while selecting games, similar to hyperspin.

Followed his vid on setting up my 8bitdo arcade stick although I had issues with getting retroarch to recognise it. Turns out retroarch sees completely different button numbers than the under lying system and emulationstation. Once I figured that out I just had to rebind the keys for retroarch.

Then finally followed his tutorial on adding bezel overlays, scanlines and curved monitor effects for a few hundred games. Which suits my current setup with a 1080p widescreen lcd.

Now just to curate a good collection of games to play :D:D which knowing me I'll spend less time playing that tweaking the layout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Good job, how does the pi connect to your arcade machine?

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »

Oh no such luck. Im running a cobbled together setup. So pi, 20 inch screen that my laptop hooks up to when I'm not "arcading" and my sanwa 8bitdo bluetooth arcade stick (which is very responsive!).

Some day when I stop all travel plans I'll own a proper cab. A boy can dream... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've one of these on the way from Australia
    PI_Jamma_6.jpg

I've one of these on the way from Australia
    PI_Jamma_6.jpg

Jebus, saw them alright but they were too expensive for my liking.

Jebus, saw them alright but they were too expensive for my liking.

Came to
    €150 including a pi3 delivered
    I thought that was quite reasonable, will get a bit of a play with it and I can always use the pi for something different if it doesn't work out.
    Boots had a clearance on 32gb sd 10speed cards the other day 14.99 bargain

Came to
    €150 including a pi3 delivered
    I thought that was quite reasonable, will get a bit of a play with it and I can always use the pi for something different if it doesn't work out.
    Boots had a clearance on 32gb sd 10speed cards the other day 14.99 bargain

Ok that seems more reasonable, maybe the shipping threw me off.
    Also i call shotgun when you dont use it and get bored !!

• Advertisement

CathalDublin we need an update!

My pi3 been sitting in the drawer since launch :o
    Decided to pull the finger out and put rasplex on it. (pun intended)
    Wow
    what a step up from the nowTV box I've been using the last few years.
    handles 20gb blurays like a champ:cool:

Arrived yesterday, I've barely got to test it yet. Build is great though, kick harness and video amp now included
    2lnlf8.jpg

Arrived yesterday, I've barely got to test it yet. Build is great though, kick harness and video amp now included
    2lnlf8.jpg

Ah the Jamma pi, nice, look forward to seeing it in action.

Not sure if any of these addoms are useful yet.

creator-front-back.png

http://creator.matrix.one/

$99 addon with
    What's inside MATRIX Creator?
    Designed for Raspberry Pi, inspired by the community of makers, tinkerers, and builders.

Sensors & Components

8 MEMS Microphone Array
    (DIY Amazon Echo)
    FPGA (Xilinx Spartan 6)
    Microcontroller
    (ARM Cortex M3)
    Temperature sensor
    Ultraviolet sensor
    Pressure sensor
    3D Accelerometer
    3D Gyroscope
    3D Magnetometer
    Humidity sensor

Connectivity & Communications
    ZigBee
    Thread
    Z-Wave
    NFC
    IR RX/TX
    2 ADC Channels
    17 Digital GPIOs
    SPI
    I2C
    UART

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Gotta give a tonne of credit to the youtuber "Floob". Videos can be rather long for the info inside but the bits that are there are pure gold.

Decided to go down the multi SD card route for now as it gets messy mixing arcade and console games imo. So I got his attractmode SD card image for my arcade setup so nice preview videos playing while selecting games, similar to hyperspin.

Followed his vid on setting up my 8bitdo arcade stick although I had issues with getting retroarch to recognise it. Turns out retroarch sees completely different button numbers than the under lying system and emulationstation. Once I figured that out I just had to rebind the keys for retroarch.

Then finally followed his tutorial on adding bezel overlays, scanlines and curved monitor effects for a few hundred games. Which suits my current setup with a 1080p widescreen lcd.

Now just to curate a good collection of games to play :D:D which knowing me I'll spend less time playing that tweaking the layout!

Thanks ShooterSF, his videos are very good. The scanlines and bezels just add a great look to an otherwise empty screen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Access wrote: »
    Thanks ShooterSF, his videos are very good. The scanlines and bezels just add a great look to an otherwise empty screen.

Thanks for the heads up.

Glad it was of use. Now I need to hunt down whoever mentioned that cex was getting rid of cheap Hori sticks for 25 quid :D and "thank" them. (This now means my house has 4 arcade sticks)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just fiddling around with my RP B+ the other day, refining the games and emulators on offer, when the wifi decided to stop connecting to it, at least from the PC side.
    I mean, the RP itself is still broadcasting away, and it can still connect to the internet but Filezilla, Cyberduck and even a terminal window from Putty won't connect.
    Don't know what is going on.
    Powered it off, powered it back on, took out and reinserted the dongle (waa hey!) still no luck.
    Very annoying, as I just need to take off a few of the emulators that don't work well on the older hardware, before I hot glue this thing into the little Sony TV.
    Control-wise, and because I already have one doing arcade duties in the cabinet, I settled on the simple option of a cheap Argos wired PS3 controller, which is working perfectly with everything, at least so far.
    Power supply, now that's a question, Kerbdog suggested finding a 5v point on the TV's own PCB and draw the power from there, meaning no need for a second PSU for the RP, but I'm not so sure, could be just as handy to shorten the TV's own power cable, pop a slim two socket adaptor on the back and run a single cable from there, not the neatest or prettiest, but it'll work and I won't have to pressure Kerb to do any more soldering!
    Which controller ?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3685374/Trail
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2794819/Trail/searchtext%3EPS3+CONTROLLERS.htm/searchtext%3EPS3+CONTROLLERS.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This one, works great
    link
    I'll get 2 or a ps3 controller with my fc30 pro refund then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

This one, works great
    link

Oh man that's one aesthetically challenged controller..

• Advertisement

Yeah, I know.
    It was a cheap and easy to use controller for my son's little RPTV thingy.
    And just works too.
    There are better looking alternatives out there, undoubtedly.
    A wired 360/PC pad will work just as well, get the official one for the best results.

USB Snes conteoller for the win !!

USB Snes conteoller for the win !!

Yes, but the analogue sticks give you better control in games with analogue controls, and the twin sticks are of a great benefit when playing the only game worth playing Boulder Dash Robotron!

Hello guy, Any help would be epic.

I have a problem, "so many controller isses lol", Using retro pie 3 + on board bluetooth.
    using wireless ps3 controllers.

I have 1, went to a friend house for some 2 player fun, work grand connected it up, and it just worked perfectly.
    go over again, but forget my controller this, so I use his two controller.
    problems start here. All 3 work on emulation station, but only 1 work during games "random 1 will work, in an emulator, its also reading as both player 1 / 2 controlling both"

Ive tryed uninstalling/reinstalling the ps3 drivers, Ive tryed deleted the retro arch config file, and no look, anyone ran into this.

So I got me a nice lil 14 inch Sony CRT and decided to grab a composite cable and scart to plug the Pi in and .. it plays.. but it's not real pretty. Reading up on it apparently I need a HDMI to VGA 15khz converter and then something like the UMSA which just seems to add to a list of possible problems. Now actual consoles are out of the question as I had to fight for the space for the TV. So I'm not sure what to do. I'll keep the TV for now, maybe the console issue can be revisited later.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Hi. I bought a rasberry pi with all the games and kodi preinstalled. Im an absolute luddite when it comes to tech hence buying it ready to go. I bought it so I could play games from when i was a kid. But....its really pixelated for snes and megadrive games. Any way someone here could help me out? Is my tv too big? Id love to get this fixed in time for christmas to suprise the bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Setup Amiberry last night and I'm very impressed with it actually. Boot time to Amiga interface is about 3-5 seconds on the Pi 3(before and overclocks). It's basically the Winuae interface(so UAE) and supports hardfiles, CD32 and all that good stuff.
    As its based on the DietPi linux dist its very snappy and even supports the Pi LCD touchscreen.

Now planning on 3D printing an Amiga related case and sticking the Pi in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Setup Amiberry last night and I'm very impressed with it actually. Boot time to Amiga interface is about 3-5 seconds on the Pi 3(before and overclocks). It's basically the Winuae interface(so UAE) and supports hardfiles, CD32 and all that good stuff.
    As its based on the DietPi linux dist its very snappy and even supports the Pi LCD touchscreen.

Now planning on 3D printing an Amiga related case and sticking the Pi in that.

Ya its pretty good alright, although 'reset' & 'resume' drops me back to the console a bit too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ya its pretty good alright, although 'reset' & 'resume' drops me back to the console a bit too often.

Not seen that yet, you using a Pi3, overclocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Hi. I bought a rasberry pi with all the games and kodi preinstalled. Im an absolute luddite when it comes to tech hence buying it ready to go. I bought it so I could play games from when i was a kid. But....its really pixelated for snes and megadrive games. Any way someone here could help me out? Is my tv too big? Id love to get this fixed in time for christmas to suprise the bro.WILLING TO PAY!!!

Advertisement