Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The hype and exaggeration on this forum is somewhat comical as usual...

Where's the hype and exaggeration?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

104kmh at Mace Head
    101kmh at Belmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Same here. Tried different browsers etc.

Address got chopped, add :8650 to the IP

So, 140.203.204.250:8650

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Corona virus has taken the focus off the weather!

Today may well be the worst storm of the season for many (probably at least for areas Galway to Dublin).

No doubt there will be people moaning about the lack of warnings!

And this is probably be the storm that has e sting in it's tail

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

harr wrote: »
    Anyone else notice a lot less panic over this storm? Where I am very little sporting events cancelled. Kids here are due to play a match at 2pm and local running events all going ahead as planned even though they are talking palace during the hight of the storm.

Most of my local Parkruns were cancelled this morning (heavily wooded areas in Clare & Galway tho)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

All tourism attractions are closed in Clare too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Id say this storm will actually be more noticeable in Galway...unlike many of the other so called storms we have had...wind gusting and icy rain in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lahinch live cam. Again, not the best quality but good enough to observe 'the spray'.

http://www.onitsurf.com/surf-cameras/lahinch-beach-surf-camera.html

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

nthclare wrote: »
    All tourism attractions are closed in Clare too

A lot of shops closing at midday as well.

You've just quoted it.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Animals acting strange here, West of Westport. Chickens are playing a game cricket with the lambs out on the front lawn. Never seen them do that before. Worrying....

Shop street live cam. People walking with ease thus far:

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ireland/galway/shop-street.html

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Loud and obnoxious out here already. Squall after squall. Dark skies and deluges.

Sheesh! That was a big one,

Had to open the door as I had forgotten one of the cats was out. never saw a cat move as fast.

I am thinking this is just (!) the first round?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Starting to get windy now in west Galway. Not a bad morning though, got a long walk in before the madness begins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Shannonbridge water levels still dropping but very slowly.

https://waterlevel.ie/0000026028/0001/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Beautiful sunny morning on carlow/kilkenny border, light breeze so far.
    I know it won't hit here for a few hours so going to get some work done this morning and secure stuff in the garden.

Status Red - Wind warning for Galway and Clare

UPDATE:
    Very severe winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 85 to 100km/h in places on Saturday afternoon with gusts of 130 to 145km/h, with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 15:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Friday 28/02/2020

Updated: 09:56 Saturday 29/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In the posters head...... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Red - Wind warning for Galway and Clare

UPDATE:
    Very severe winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 85 to 100km/h in places on Saturday afternoon with gusts of 130 to 145km/h, with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 15:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Friday 28/02/2020

Updated: 09:56 Saturday 29/02/2020

RED warning from 11 now.........
    Squall just passing now, wind picked right up, sleet very heavy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just a mild breeze here at the moment, had a snow shower earlier on so looks like we might get a bit of everything today.

• Advertisement

Hoping the power does not go.. I was in Kerry for Darwin and Ophelia turned east I was in Connemara then) so this is a whole new learning curve for me.

Anyone else in Mayo out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Starting to get windier here in North Cork, the mobile home hasnt started rumbling yet though.

aido76 wrote: »
    RED warning from 11 now.........
    Squall just passing now, wind picked right up, sleet very heavy.......

Indeed those businesses planning to close at midday in Clare and Galway would want to do it sooner.

Starting to get windier here in North Cork, the mobile home hasnt started rumbling yet though.

lol. I live in a "demountable dwelling" and it literally shakes and shivers in bad storms but so far OK. Depends on the direction. We have our ways of grading storms!

EUREKA!

Power went at 10.10 and is just back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭jackboy

Starting to get wild in west Clare already.

Two cormorants flew over the house heading inland. Have not seen them around here in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol. I am I a "demountable dwelling" and it literally shakes and shivers in bad storms but so far OK. Depends on the direction. We have our ways of grading storms!

Ha, yeah its all about the direction indeed. The long side faces due south, so it gets scary when the strong southern gusts hit. The walls start bellowing and I m just hoping the tv doesng fall off the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Getting rough now outside Newport, Mayo. Lights flickered which is rare for here considering the gusts aren't the worst we've experienced yet. Not looking forward to the peak.

As I type this I can feel a slight rumble in the floor under my feet upstairs in a dormer house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann wind forecast charts out to 9pm tonight:

anim.gif

Looks like a chance I will get a touch of the higher gusts the way we are lined up with Galway bay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just looking through the early morning runs and I see GFS has eased off somewhat on wind speeds whereas ICON looks it's strongest yet, initially 130 to 160 km/h coming ashore in Clare / Galway, 100 to 125 km/h overland , but I think this is too high.

EURO 4 a bit high perhaps

Interesting HIRLAM has eased off on its mean speeds a tad, FMI- HIRLAM has found it's track again, quite similar in strength to ARPEGE

ECM the same and quite similar to the ARPEGE

ARPEGE would be my choice for guidance with this.

anim_ryi6.gif

rQ9utkj.png

KcFyCLA.png

6634_zba5.png

arpegeuk-52-22-0_rdr5.png

4271_zdl5.png

• Advertisement

A few isolated strikes off the Mayo coast. Seem to be associated with the tight band of showers circulating near the low center rather than the wraparound Occlusion itself.

New Moon

Advertisement