Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No one holding onto the lamp posts for dear life in Shop street just yet.

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ireland/galway/high-street-cam.html

New Moon

Galway max gusts at 10am
    Mace Head = 130 km/h
    Athenry = 76 km/h

Less then 100km between them.

Highlights the nonsensical catch-all approach to warnings. Stop applying them to entire counties and define the real area of strongest winds. Needlessly unsettling people with hyperbole.

I thnk overall Jorge has peaked in winds just offshore, as all information is hinting at a slight downgrade in windspeeds compared to what we should be getting. The 00Z ECM 100-metre windchart shows the strongest core at 09Z rather than just onshore at 12Z, a downgrade on yesterday's forecast. Current observations are a little lower than expected too. We'll see what happens in the next hour, but for me it peaked a little earlier than forecast.

What a shocker...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If any idiot goes swimming at Salthill during this like they did for previous storms for their few mins of fame they should be left to their own devices instead of wasting the time of the emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Has calmed down significantly in west Galway. I think this one might pass quite quickly. Similar to Ali.

Not calm in west galway where I am.

• Advertisement

In that wind forecast map I posted earlier on, it shows that something of a 'lull' was forecast for west Galway for around this time but with winds picking up again during the afternoon as the low swings further east. We'll see.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

11 am TAFs out now have lower speeds, especially for Shannon. Max 50 knots up to 4 pm.

Dublin max 53 knots from 2 - 5 pm.
    Casement max 60 knots from 2 -5 pm.
    Cork max 52 knots from 2 - 6 pm
    Knock max 60 knots from 2 - 8 pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Not calm in west galway where I am.

Yeah it was a 5 min break I think. Started up again with some sleet too. Was definitely worse earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The 11am TAF's are out.

Shannon airport is bizarrely forecasting a max of 50kts? (Was 64kts yesterday evening)
    Cork max of 52kts
    Knock max of 60kts
    Dublin max of 54kts

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Dead calm and sunny with a lovely blue sky here on the south coast of Cork. Had quite a few snow flurries this morning as it’s quite cold but the snow didn’t stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's literally only a half an hour into the warning and some people are saying it's half over. Long way to go yet folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

This is only the start of it, it'll be in peaks and troughs.
    Like a motor race, slowing down into corners, then accelerate on the stretches.

Then one big acceleration and an absolute blow out...

Layman's terms are as good if not better than the scientific terminology.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I certainly wasn't expecting a morning this calm. Sunny and a bit breezy here in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds definitely picking up in Kildare. Wind would skin you.

Gusts of getting more frequent here but not necessarily any stronger. They average around 38 to 42 knots.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Mick_1970

Near Belmullet, calm for the last 15 minutes. Seems to be starting up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

It's blowy in North Offaly but you couldn't class it as stormy. I expected worse to be honest. Few flakes of sleety snow blowing around but nothing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Airport gusts (11:30).

Kerry 45 kt
    Shannon 42 kt
    Derry 37 kt
    Casement, Knock 36 kt
    Dublin 35 kt
    Costume Barracks (Athlone) 33 kt
    Waterford 32 kt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Woah horsey!!

Big gust in west Galway.

I feel alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Ge(J)orge is following the prediction script fairly closely and thundering in here like a steam train over the last while. Temp. is up and down between 2º and 3º, squally showers of rain with a few bits of sleet. Very gusty just above Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Had to travel back from Dublin airport to Galway this morning. Quite calm until I reached oranmore when the car felt like it could have been swept off the motorway at any moment, drove the last few Kms at snails pace to be safe, it's wild out there now.

nthclare wrote: »

Layman's terms are as good if not better than the scientific terminology.

That's a good point. Science does not 'own' the weather, just more explains the processes involved. How we experience the weather, how we interpret it and how it affects us as living beings is every bit as valid.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Shop street live cam. People walking with ease thus far:

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/ireland/galway/shop-street.html

Dont think its live. Same people in this still when I was looking at it last week.

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Crazy French fishmongers still open for business in Galway city, for another while anyway :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/348242571927482/posts/2728478910570491/?substory_index=0&sfnsn=mo

A few gusts here, one maybe worth a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Winds bad enough at times in Galway...im sure if it was dark the night time effect would make it seem alot worse...but as I said before they dont make storms like they use to

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Any snow around

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That's a good point. Science does not 'own' the weather, just more explains the processes involved. How we experience the weather, how we interpret it and how it affects us as living beings is every bit as valid.
    The good old Beaufort scale proves that point

Kutebride wrote: »
    Dont think its live. Same people in this still when I was looking at it last week.

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

Press the 'play' button and you'll see time stamp just above the video.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mick_1970 wrote: »
    Near Belmullet, calm for the last 15 minutes. Seems to be starting up again.

Calmer here and the sun is almost breaking through. Is that it? I do realise that is probably a silly question but hope springs eternal...

• Advertisement

If any idiot goes swimming at Salthill during this like they did for previous storms for their few mins of fame they should be left to their own devices instead of wasting the time of the emergency services.

I don't remember any needing to be rescued. When was that?

Advertisement