Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Satellite-derived mean surface winds at 03:57 this morning. Core of 64+ knots (underestimated), which should be coming ashore along the midwest coast in the next couple of hours. Airport warning out for Shannon of 60-70 knots up to midday.

EINN AD WRNG 03 VALID 290800/291600 WIND SFC SW 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2910/2912 W 35-40KT MAX 60-70 FCST=

504199.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Now you're talking, first meaty gusts, shaking the car around the place and making an awful racket in the chimney, there'll be no fire lit today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Closing in.

6XVWPgd.gif

Storms are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

ESB power outages starting to stack up already.........
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

North Clare has gotten wild. First proper storm we have had in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭naughto

Power outage in Newport with 2,935 properties affected. ESB Networks seeking to restore supply asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Graces7 wrote: »
    Must be like trying to pin a butterfly down though

Thats not the point I was making, they updated their times for the red warning on their website, but the tv still had the red warning for 1 pm to 4pm.
    Perhaps the forecast was pre recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Windy now in Limerick City, but nothing out of the ordinary just yet.... totally overcast now and the sky has a real mean look to it. Windchill is very evident. 4.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

North Cork near Mallow still sunny but wind picking up somewhat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

After a brief lull, back to squalls. New feature that there is short pause after each then the next one crashes in. Dark again too.

Lit the fire earlier and it is grand. Loves this wind direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Some solid gusts hitting the house south of Athenry. Might get up and get breakfast in case the power goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very windy in cork city with snow blowing around kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Pangea wrote: »
    Thats not the point I was making, they updated their times for the red warning on their website, but the tv still had the red warning for 1 pm to 4pm.
    Perhaps the forecast was pre recorded?

The website and the app from Met Eireann are reporting different times (updated on the website) maybe that has something to do with it?

Dubious gusts from the WT1 buoy off the Belmullet coast. Gusting to 94 knots, however I've noticed it always seems to report unrealistically high gusts in every system. But here's the chart for the record.

http://cilpublic.cil.ie/MetOcean/MetOcean.aspx

504203.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

My phormiums are horizontal in the garden and the contorted Hazel seems to be loving it too.

Im in two minds now as to whether or not I should do my usual storm tour from Ballyvaughan to Doolin taking video clips and photos of waves etc

I always stand well back.

Not many trees on those roads

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

very gusty here now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

Station at Clahane just outside Liscannor Co. Clare shows winds still rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Faoilean mara

Very windy here for the past while (offshore Galway) and sea starting to get up. Not a spring tide but running quite high, could be interesting

Galway max gusts at 10am
    Mace Head = 130 km/h
    Athenry = 76 km/h

Less then 100km between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Gone up a notch in Galway proper stormy now

Winds | Pressures at 11 am. Mace Head down slightly.

Mace Head | 240 49 gust 68 kt | 965
    Newport | 220 32 guts 52 kt | 963
    Belmullet | 230 34 gust 50 kt | 959
    Sherkin Island | 250 38 gust 54 kt | 979
    Shannon Airport | 210 25 gust 39 kt | 973

Finnis Buoy | 220 19 gust 60 kt | ---

https://twitter.com/FinnisBuoy/status/1233707914268946433

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town 11am.
    Medium snow. Temp 1.2c. Wind picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Left Meath 0830. Sunglasses all the way to Athlone. Sleet all the way after that to NE Galway. All indoors now rain pelting off the windows. Hearing most of Galway City closing shop.

Kutebride wrote: »
    Left Meath 0830. Sunglasses all the way to Athlone. Sleet all the way after that to NE Galway. All indoors now rain pelting off the windows. Hearing most of Galway City closing shop.

A lot of shops closing at noon in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just went outside about 10 mins ago to top up the birds feeding station, and a gust of wind came out of nowhere. It caught me unawares and
    I was lucky not to be knocked over. Sth gal

I thnk overall Jorge has peaked in winds just offshore, as all information is hinting at a slight downgrade in windspeeds compared to what we should be getting. The 00Z ECM 100-metre windchart shows the strongest core at 09Z rather than just onshore at 12Z, a downgrade on yesterday's forecast. Current observations are a little lower than expected too. We'll see what happens in the next hour, but for me it peaked a little earlier than forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Wind starting to pick up on Sandymount strand. Angry looking sea. The dog has a worried look on his face

Has calmed down significantly in west Galway. I think this one might pass quite quickly. Similar to Ali.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Has calmed down significantly in west Galway. I think this one might pass quite quickly. Similar to Ali.

Hopefully

Advertisement