Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Some nice metars from Reykjavik and Keflavik airports in the past few hours. Gusts to 64 knots and heavy and blowing snow.
    METAR BIRK 102000Z 33030G55KT 1000 R19///// SN BLSN FEW008 OVC013 M02/M03 Q0967 R88///////
    METAR BIKF 102000Z 35049G64KT 9000 -SN FEW013 BKN021 OVC065 M01/M04 Q0972
    METAR BIKF 101800Z 35051G64KT 8000 -SN FEW012 BKN017 OVC055 M01/M04 Q0971

Webcam from Reykjavik airport.

191210_2030.jpg

At Skálafell (771 m amsl), mean windspeed is currently 55 m/s (107 kt / 198 km/h), with an earlier gust of 71 m/s (138 kt / 256 km/h).

The record max mean speed for Iceland is 62.5 m/s here in 1998.

https://twitter.com/birtalif/status/1204496878303416320

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I saw that post on facebook with over 300 likes already . Basically a click bate type of page. Met eireann forecast on Radio 1 just now gave Thursday and Friday as showery days with light winds which will begin to freshen later Friday.

On a side note the Atlantic is very disturbed at the moment and getting any solid detail on charts past 48 hours is a challenge

I used to be allowed to post on that site but got blocked after I pointed out they were always posting the most extreme charts, and putting up stupid weather warnings based on charts two weeks in fi

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow Shower in 0600 report for Knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snow Shower in 0600 report for Knock.

Can confirm that....some snow on the car from that shower earlier...But showers since are off rain and a bit off sleet.

• Advertisement

1 cm of lying snow reported in the synop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some support across models now for windy conditions in the southwest on Friday afternoon/evening, so far not looking as intense as the recent event in Kerry. This one does not have a northern second wave associated so it would be confined to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The top of Nephin has a dusting of snow on it this morning. As for here it is cold and damp. Temp 2.5c.
    Central Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The tide here is louder than the wind just now. Incredible sounds vying

Feels colder than y'day?

Thursday seems to be the only small gap in the wildness; shopping day for us islanders so fingers firmly crossed …

West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

car and drive is white this morning temp 1 degree 7 degrees colder than yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heavy hail lying SW Donegal, not good driving conditions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bitter cold in Tralee this morning, heavy hail showers overnight and not so long ago big shower leaving the windscreen coated , mountain ridges have signs of snow or hail.

As mentioned above see the charts showing more chance of very windy weather Fri night, on avg atm along the coasts. ARPEGE is back again showing the strongest inland, ECM has nudged strong winds near the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nice enough morning in Arklow
    Just 1.9c though

If this bed was not a divan I would be UNDER it!

Violent hailstorms and the aluminium roof of my humble abode ….my head ducks involuntarily

Maybe the distant mountains will be white when light is enough to see them.. camera at the ready ;)

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty hail showers piling in here since yesterday evening as well, not too pleasant but interesting to watch from inside at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Guess its official now. Ireland has gone from a rainy but temperate country with no real summer or winter to a rainy and chilly country with no summer but a proper, freezing winter.

Which is a rather dramatic change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The_Brood wrote: »
    Guess its official now. Ireland has gone from a rainy but temperate country with no real summer or winter to a rainy and chilly country with no summer but a proper, freezing winter.

Which is a rather dramatic change.

I doubt you could call it a freezing winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was snowing near Ballymote this morning but dark so cudnt see it right.

Saturday morning looks promising

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks blustery on Friday night on GFS

66-289UK.GIF?11-6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ukmintemp.pngprectypeuktopo.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Pleasing little mini-avalanches of pure white hail all along the front of my home!

Mountains shrouded in cloud and far too icy a wind to linger... wind chill is a very real thing here.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dark cold showery morning here in Castlebar.

ukmintemp.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Not very often the south is showing up the snow. Usually the northern half of the island. I am sure it will change by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭bennyl10

guys I know its early days yet, but based on the above, would there be any issue with flights form Dublin early Saturday morning(6/7am)?
    Just checking if i need to worry/keep an eye?

to London is all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

bennyl10 wrote: »
    guys I know its early days yet, but based on the above, would there be any issue with flights form Dublin early Saturday morning(6/7am)?
    Just checking if i need to worry/keep an eye?

to London is all

Unlikely, but tbf it's like asking will it rain in a particular spot at 3pm in 3 weeks. Really we haven't a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

The arpege according to weather alerts Ireland is showing very windy weather Friday evening for the south west again. Met Éireann in their outlook this morning mention risk of strong winds in the south west so will be interesting to see what the ECM shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 12z backs out of Friday's buffeting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Advertisement