Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Hopefully. Mild weather lower heating bills easier commute to work. Happy Christmas all.

Yes milder the better is what I think most people would like. No rain as well and thst would be the ideal winter weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Hopefully. Mild weather lower heating bills easier commute to work. Happy Christmas all.

No two consecutive winters are the same. Don’t be surprised if there’s a big change come February :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I think so too. Something like winter 2008/2009 when an SSW set up a wintry February.

Trends can change quickly enough. 26 December..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I think so too. Something like winter 2008/2009 when an SSW set up a wintry February.

that's what we're all hoping for. Hopefully the SSW will happen soon rather than too late in March, it can take a few weeks for SSW's to take an effect if any effect at all. A severe cold spell in early to mid February would do fine. The Beast From The East/Storm Emma was decent but it arrived about a week too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

First half of Feb 09 was wintry,second half mild.
    But I would take a wintry period like the first half of Feb 09 even though it wasnt too exciting overall but was the best wintry spell from the east at that point for a number of yrs.

• Advertisement

Billcarson wrote: »
    But I would take a wintry period like the first half of Feb 09 even though it wasnt too exciting overall but was the best wintry spell from the east at that point for a number of yrs.

In my homeplace (very hilly) we had lying snow up to and on 22 Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

feb 09 the forgotten beast from the east

ZX7R wrote: »
    feb 09 the forgotten beast from the east

Think it was the best easterly for wintry weather at the time since Feb 91.

Think it was the best easterly for wintry weather at the time since Feb 91.

Another really good cold spell was january 2010,
    most forget that one also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

And I remember there being a very cold spell just before that in mid/late December 2009 though it was nothing compared to what we experienced 12 months later.

• Advertisement

Yes of course, the last proper January cold spell (although that didn't come from the east). As regards Jan cold spells we haven't had a proper one during the second half of Jan since the 80s. Came close in 2013 to a decent enough one but Britain got the cold That's what we are up against sadly for those who like cold spells.

New yrs eve 2009 about an hour or so before welcoming in 2010 got fairly heavy snow ,so welcomed in a white new yr. Magical it was.

Snowcover stayed and being topped up at times until around jan10th or so.

Yes of course, the last proper January cold spell (although that didn't come from the east). As regards Jan cold spells we haven't had a proper one during the second half of Jan since the 80s. That's what we are up against sadly for those who like cold spells.

I could not remember to be honest if it came from the east,I remember it started new years eve after mid night heavy rain turned to snow,i believe the 6th jan had snow also as flights in dublin airport were delayed i was flying out to Poland to meet my now wife's family for the first time and to hand out wedding invites :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

And I remember there being a very cold spell just before that in mid/late December 2009 though it was nothing compared to what we experienced 12 months later.

Yes and it was the coldest December period in the country since 2000 at the time.

Daily air min temp records for Ireland every day of Dec 2009 to Jan 2011 as I posted in April. The number of days with somewhere recording at least -10C was very notable.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Dcj468H.png

Data from Met Éireann.

January 2010 and December 2010 were generally northerly. There were easterlies on 29 November to 2 December and 9-11 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

New yrs eve 2009 about an hour or so before welcoming in 2010 got fairly heavy snow ,so welcomed in a white new yr. Magical it was.

Snowcover stayed and being topped up at times until around jan10th or so.

Yup I remember that happening in Naas. It was beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

So if this verifies basically a repeat of Jan/Feb 2019 then.

Crap!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    We appear to be locked in to a potentially prolonged mild spell, right now we have just about everything going against us for cold weather. Looks like the first half of January is going to be mild or very mild

Sounds very very good... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    We appear to be locked in to a potentially prolonged mild spell, right now we have just about everything going against us for cold weather. Looks like the first half of January is going to be mild or very mild

Sounds very very good... :D

Yup! If there’s absolutely no chance of decent cold and snow I’ll take very mild over the in between muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pad199207 wrote: »

No chance whatsoever so bring on 14/15c Fohn conditions (for my location anyway)
    I would welcome a good drying warm wind after months of rain and dampness, open all windows to give the house a good airing, heating switched to OFF and the stove stone cold! :) I given up completely on seeing northern blocking in modern winters so bring on an airflow all the way from the Canaries which in my opinion is the next best thing!
    See the chart for exactly one year ago, this continued all way through through February as we all remember ... and the UK recorded the first ever 20c+ during a winter month.
    These big mid latitude winter anticyclones once established stay in more or less the same place for weeks on end and are now a permanent fixture of 21st century winters.

BRA_1_2018122900_45.png

Mod Note : Removed Quote as it is attributed to the wrong poster. I think there might have been temporary a glitch in the system , quotes seem to have come out a bit strange in this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11am December 27th

Finner 13 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Extremely overcast today in Cork, looks like we won’t be seeing the sky til Sunday either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Extremely overcast today in Cork, looks like we won’t be seeing the sky til Sunday either.

Damp misty and murky up here in Castlebar.blustery also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

almost mild enough outside to be in a t-shirt. The mildest it's felt since October.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pad199207 wrote: »
    No chance whatsoever so bring on 14/15c Fohn conditions (for my location anyway)
    I would welcome a good drying warm wind after months of rain and dampness, open all windows to give the house a good airing, heating switched to OFF and the stove stone cold! :) I given up completely on seeing northern blocking in modern winters so bring on an airflow all the way from the Canaries which in my opinion is the next best thing!
    See the chart for exactly one year ago, this continued all way through through February as we all remember ... and the UK recorded the first ever 20c+ during a winter month.
    These big mid latitude winter anticyclones once established stay in more or less the same place for weeks on end and are now a permanent fixture of 21st century winters.

BRA_1_2018122900_45.png

nb I did not say what you quoted me as saying! Would not use such language! Please correct!

Mod Note: For some reason a quote was attributed to the wrong poster, from looking back over previous posts there might have been a glitch in the system temporarily. The quote in question has been removed.

Southerlys like this can be mad in December, with little solar warmth and cloud cover.

You can easily record a max temp at night. Remember Malin Head was 16c at 4am one December night in 2015.

Southerlys like this can be mad in December, with little solar warmth and cloud cover.

You can easily record a max temp at night. Remember Malin Head was 16c at 4am one December night in 2015.

It really is annoying. The uppers over the next few days are what we dream of in the summer but rarely ever get. I can only talk about the next 2 weeks but I've a feeling the majority of January will be mild, with the second half of January not as excessively mild as the first half. This very mild pattern is not only effecting us, but also most of Europe and North America, however North America will cool down alot over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Mild weather is normal in December and even January in this country...It is only when Spring comes that our cold arrives alot of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Mild weather is normal in December and even January in this country...It is only when Spring comes that our cold arrives alot of the time...

True usually March/April when we see cold weather

It really is annoying. The uppers over the next few days are what we dream of in the summer but rarely ever get. I can only talk about the next 2 weeks but I've a feeling the majority of January will be mild, with the second half of January not as excessively mild as the first half. This very mild pattern is not only effecting us, but also most of Europe and North America, however North America will cool down alot over the next few weeks.

Yes. Record touching possibly in high summer. Even mid 20s in September and 23C or so in April.

Hope this isn't a 1989 type winter when cold hit in March and especially April. Or 1998 with 18.5C recorded in Kery in January and a mini February heatwave in mid February with daytime 16C max and frost free nights. Only to pay for it in April. Generally cold weather hits at sometime and April days in single figures are a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

12 degrees and 96% humidity in Cork. Not much of a breeze either. Feeling very mild.

Advertisement