Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The same suggestion seems to repeatably pop up on this thread every few pages. Who would pay for converting all the roads, streets, car parks, etc for driving on the right? Take a wild guess - the motorist through higher taxation such as VRT. Also what about all the existing left hand drive cars on the road, what do we do with them? What about the people who cannot afford to change their existing car? Do we have driving on the right 3 days a week and then driving on the left the other 4 days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Isambard wrote: »
    Indeed but not straightforward buying them. Could only avoid double VAT if you could buy at 0% or reclaim VAT, most of us can't. Dealers will snap them up and the public buying from them will pay market price.

I reckon a broker will setup to export like flipping cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

gally74 wrote: »

yes and make a profit, but it won't make cars cheaper for you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Hello All,
    I have paid the VRT of the car last 14th of December and lodged an appeal . Just got a reply from revenue asking for a copy of vehicle import receipt, is that the same receipt that the vrt office issued me? Thanks and lovely weekend to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hello All,
    I have paid the VRT of the car last 14th of December and lodged an appeal . Just got a reply from revenue asking for a copy of vehicle import receipt, is that the same receipt that the vrt office issued me? Thanks and lovely weekend to all!

I'd be thinking proof of the ferry journey in to the country.

• Advertisement

Hello All,

I reckon it's proof of date of entry into Ireland they are looking for....ferry ticket perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭User1998

Its not. They want the receipt the VRT people gave you. They already have your ferry ticket on file

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PKB1

Hi, has anyone imported car from UK or NI since Jan 1? If so would it be possible to give practical example of how it worked?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭d15ude

bazz26 wrote: »
    The same suggestion seems to repeatably pop up on this thread every few pages. Who would pay for converting all the roads, streets, car parks, etc for driving on the right? Take a wild guess - the motorist through higher taxation such as VRT. Also what about all the existing left hand drive cars on the road, what do we do with them? What about the people who cannot afford to change their existing car? Do we have driving on the right 3 days a week and then driving on the left the other 4 days?

Other countries have done it, it's possible.
    And in the long run would be better for the Irish motorist!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

d15ude wrote: »

Better how? Having to replace the existing fleet with LHD cars which will have to have VRT paid on them

Better for the tax payer who would have to pay for the changes to the road network?

Better for the victims of road accidents that such a switch would inevitably cause?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Better how? Having to replace the existing fleet with LHD cars which will have to have VRT paid on them

Better for the tax payer who would have to pay for the changes to the road network?

Better for the victims of road accidents that such a switch would inevitably cause?
    I would assume better in the sense we wouldn't have to rely on Britain and Japan for cars, the entire European market would open up for us. I'm somewhat on the fence, but I wouldn't be totally against the idea. I'll tell you what else I wouldn't be against – Mustangs, Big Ford Trucks, Old Cadillacs! Of course, by the time such a move would ever come in to being - these big guzzlers will have no doubt been made illegal by our... b***ard overlords. But still - the first point is not a terrible argument, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The thing is it may not be and the idea looks great on the back of a match book but when you actually drill down to what it involves and how much it would cost then it isn't. Are you willing to pay more taxes in the short to medium term to cover the cost of converting the country's entire infrastructure? What about private businesses who would have to convert their infrastructure? Would you be willing to accept the cost of that being passed on to you as the end customer of their goods or services? Also what do you do with all the existing right hand drive cars, do you suddenly say you have to drive on the other side of the road from tomorrow? Or how would you phase such a large scale change in with both lhd and rhd cars on the road at the same time.

Another thing what about NI? Most of the Continent who have land boarders drive on the same side as it makes total sense. It's not so easy on a small island country like Ireland on the western most point of Europe that has a friction less boarder with another country who will continue to drive on the left for the foreseeable future.

Last thing is that our governments over the decades have nothing but milked the motorist here by taxing them to the hilt. So Brexit aside they still hiked the VRT rates up to make it less attractive to import cars since January. So don't think that they won't do the same if we could get access to cheaper cars from the Continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would assume better in the sense we wouldn't have to rely on Britain and Japan for cars, the entire European market would open up for us. I'm somewhat on the fence, but I wouldn't be totally against the idea. I'll tell you what else I wouldn't be against – Mustangs, Big Ford Trucks, Old Cadillacs! Of course, by the time such a move would ever come in to being - these big guzzlers will have no doubt been made illegal by our... b***ard overlords. But still - the first point is not a terrible argument, in my opinion.

Used cars on the continent aren’t that cheap.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Used cars on the continent aren’t that cheap.
    Yeah... but:

ZNG2mOHfEiEU18GtQKVJEt-d6NG1bGVM1k-th6qvQmMUtxbKrWlmtdzsSEqbuJa3ysQ6b3qsbMkNJ5luUbcNoREFAl8gTaoWanf6T6MA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

gally74 wrote: »

Has anyone had experience of using flipping cars?

What other countries did this in modern times?

plan going ahead, but phased. Buses changing over next monday, Taxis Tuesday, Commercials wednesday....OK I know, old joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭deezell

That was in the 60s. The amount of motorway infrastructure we have now makes changing a huge challenge, a bit more than a few tins of paint and moving stop signs.

Article in Indo yesterday, 'Can I still import a used car'. It's what we already know, including the fudged bits, re 'cars properly imported into NI' and the luidicrous derogation of duty on used cars of UK manufacture, but not of EU manufacture. Imo, the answer is 'Yes, but why would you bother'.
    https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/can-i-still-import-a-used-car-39998746.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭User1998

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Has anyone had experience of using flipping cars?

Yeah I wouldn’t trust them with anything ever again. Promised me a logbook for 6+months and had a new excuse for me every week.

Do we need the Brits back in the Customs Union or the Single Market or both to get buying their cars again as before.

Hopefully Labour get in and seek to move a bit closer to the EU again. Britain was a great source of cars.

Do we need the Brits back in the Customs Union or the Single Market or both to get buying their cars again as before.

Hopefully Labour get in and seek to move a bit closer to the EU again. Britain was a great source of cars.

That will never happen. They've bitten off their nose to spite their face, now they'll have to spend some time swallowing it, before anyone over there, or here, has the appetite for more negotiations. We're stuck with the customs rules, its as close as hard brexiteers would go in accepting the barest of EU compliance. Way into the future perhaps, the economic outcomes may force action on closer customs unity. Maybe the next generation will reverse some of the worst aspects, but I dont expect to see the UK voting to return in my lifetime.

I'm actually amaazed by this. I would honestly not have thought it possible in modern times..

Isambard wrote: »
    plan going ahead, but phased. Buses changing over next monday, Taxis Tuesday, Commercials wednesday....OK I know, old joke.

Not to mention the 3-month trial period during which trucks and cars would change sides on alternate days to see how the system would work out... :cool:

deezell wrote: »
    That will never happen. They've bitten off their nose to spite their face, now they'll have to spend some time swallowing it, before anyone over there, or here, has the appetite for more negotiations. We're stuck with the customs rules, its as close as hard brexiteers would go in accepting the barest of EU compliance. Way into the future perhaps, the economic outcomes may force action on closer customs unity. Maybe the next generation will reverse some of the worst aspects, but I dont expect to see the UK voting to return in my lifetime.

I can't see why the EU would entertain it at all. A few years down the line and it would all start again.

The main problem is not and has never been the Brits. Its always been the grabbers in Revenue who have had a decades-long aversion to the 90% being able to drive in (albeit older) cars that the 10% are able to do. Its part of a long-standing 'let them eat cake' attitude that wont change UNLESS a political party takes it on as a policy. The latest nOx charges on top of already disgusting VRT are simply a big phuck-U to Irish motorists. The post-Brexit VAT issues are far more legitimately levied, but also could be fought if there was any appetite for doing so. Irish motorists have NO lobby group worth talking about, so are an easy target for being bled by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aplhonsus10

I bought a car up the North post-1 January. It was in Northern Ireland since new so I had mistakenly presumed it is an NI reg, while it is actually a GB reg. The car dealers are unable to provide the T2L document or the customs declaration for me to be able to bring it in without VAT etc.

Is there anything else that be done bar trying to get the seller to take the car back? Should have probably checked whether it was a GB reg bit it does say on the sellers website that they provide all VRT documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

I bought a car up the North post-1 January. It was in Northern Ireland since new so I had mistakenly presumed it is an NI reg, while it is actually a GB reg. The car dealers are unable to provide the T2L document or the customs declaration for me to be able to bring it in without VAT etc.

Is there anything else that be done bar trying to get the seller to take the car back? Should have probably checked whether it was a GB reg bit it does say on the sellers website that they provide all VRT documentation.

Does the V5 not show the last owner being a NI resident ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Revenue payment portal down. Was in for VRT today, have to return to process payment. :(

Advertisement