Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Revenue payment portal down. Was in for VRT today, have to return to process payment. :(

I was lucky then. I paid this morning after a few visits (mistakes on their side)

Thanks everyone for the help here. Hopefully I’m all sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Not sure if this is "allowed" here by the almighty powers that be, but my uncle has just gotten his traders license or whatever it's called through in last few months, based in North.

He's buying cars through BCA and other auctions and been selling to quite a few RoI customers before and after Christmas.

Drop me a message and I can put in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Theres going to be quite a lot of people doing that.
    I'd be making sure, personally, to have absolutely everything above board as you imagine both Irish and HM versions of Customs will have a beady eye on everything going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Not sure if this is "allowed" here by the almighty powers that be, but my uncle has just gotten his traders license or whatever it's called through in last few months, based in North.

He's buying cars through BCA and other auctions and been selling to quite a few RoI customers before and after Christmas.

Well thats basically what the UK gov has told the small businesses to do so its to be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

ELM327 wrote: »
    Theres going to be quite a lot of people doing that.
    I'd be making sure, personally, to have absolutely everything above board as you imagine both Irish and HM versions of Customs will have a beady eye on everything going on.

yep, got a good supply of popcorn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

I've imported a track bike from the UK just before Christmas. The V5 is currently in a relatives name at a UK address.
    Is it just as simple as filling out the export section of the v5 and sending it off to the DVLA?
    I have no intention of registering it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aplhonsus10

pale rider wrote: »
    Does the V5 not show the last owner being a NI resident ?

Yes, it shows the garage as being the owner. The garage have since gave me the invoice showing they bought the car pre-1 Jan 2021 in Northern Ireland as they said this worked for another ROI customer so I’ll see if that will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭User1998

Tr_18 wrote: »
    I've imported a track bike from the UK just before Christmas. The V5 is currently in a relatives name at a UK address.
    Is it just as simple as filling out the export section of the v5 and sending it off to the DVLA?

You can do that but there will be no consequences if you don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

You should read the thread on the motorbike forum about a person that was NEVER going to use the bike on the road so didn't register. Never ended lately and now he's not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Yes, it shows the garage as being the owner. The garage have since gave me the invoice showing they bought the car pre-1 Jan 2021 in Northern Ireland as they said this worked for another ROI customer so I’ll see if that will work.

Is the V5 updated when a dealer buys a car as stock in trade? In ROI the dealer isn’t the registered owner of the car at any time as far as I know and the VLC would show the previous owner, not the garage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Casati wrote: »
    Is the V5 updated when a dealer buys a car as stock in trade? In ROI the dealer isn’t the registered owner of the car at any time as far as I know and the VLC would show the previous owner, not the garage

When I bought from UK garage 4 years ago, V5 showed previous private owner, not the garage from which I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aplhonsus10

CarPark2 wrote: »
    When I bought from UK garage 4 years ago, V5 showed previous private owner, not the garage from which I bought it.

The garage I bought it from seem to have bought the car as part of a trade-in last October from another garage so that may be why they are listed as the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

You should read the thread on the motorbike forum about a person that was NEVER going to use the bike on the road so didn't register. Never ended lately and now he's not happy.

I've posted this question on the motorbike forum also and have had a few replies there. Its just an old F4 CBR600 kitted out trackbike. I dont think it will ever see a road so there is no real advantage of registering it in Ireland.
    I'll try and find that thread you mentioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

I've posted this question on the motorbike forum also and have had a few replies there. Its just an old F4 CBR600 kitted out trackbike. I dont think it will ever see a road so there is no real advantage of registering it in Ireland.
    I'll try and find that thread you mentioned!

Here you go:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058150163/1/#post115930359

Not sure if this is "allowed" here by the powers that be, but my uncle has just gotten his traders license or whatever it's called through in last few months, based in North.

He's buying cars through UK and approved auctions and been selling to quite a few RoI customers before and after Christmas.

Got a good few private messages from this post, hopefully a few happy boardsies with new cars soon. cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

has VRT been hiked up??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of threads here about recent VRT changes and Brexit impact of importing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Like, in the case of a trader in NI buying uk mainland auction stuff and selling it to ROI, Won’t buyer be liable for VAT seeing as it’s only passing through NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

VRT has been hiked up for many cars due to WLTP emissions table kicking in on Jan 1st.
    Vat may be due, but dealer may have bought VAT qualifying stock free of UK vat. Alternatively, if he 'properly registers' UK vat inclusive imports, no further Vat is added on export from NI.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Like, in the case of a trader in NI buying uk mainland auction stuff and selling it to ROI, Won’t buyer be liable for VAT seeing as it’s only passing through NI?

It seems like even if the car is just ‘passing through’, as long as its gets registered up North we won’t have to pay any extra charges

On a separate point. Can’t dealers buying stock direct from the UK just claim back the Irish VAT that they pay on entry, which a private person can’t, essentially putting dealers one step of private imports. Dealers are still getting stock in direct from UK somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Imported a commercial van earlier in the week.
    The van was bought off a dealer in the north.
    He imported it in december. sold to me with no vat
    I got a copy of his ferry booking.
    Standard €200 VRT charge.
    It was still on The UK plate.

Imported a commercial van earlier in the week.
    The van was bought off a dealer in the north.
    He imported it in december. sold to me with no vat
    I got a copy of his ferry booking.
    Standard €200 VRT charge.
    It was still on The UK plate.

I assume you mean GB plate , and was it registered to the NI dealer or still registered in GB address?

I assume you mean GB plate , and was it registered to the NI dealer or still registered in GB address?

Yes it was on the GB plate. The NI dealer doesnt have to register it as far as I'm aware. Buying from a private individual would probably be a different scenario.

Yes it was on the GB plate. The NI dealer doesnt have to register it as far as I'm aware. Buying from a private individual would probably be a different scenario.

Would that be the same for a private car?

A lot of the cars on the sites are VAT qualifying with a traders license, and correct, NI trader does not have to be the registered party.

Would that be the same for a private car?
    If the dealer imported it before 31/12/2020 you might be ok.
    Its all very vague at the moment.
    if you bought the car off the dealer before the above date you should be ok.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I'm in that exact position. Ready to move on a car like that but cant risk it until I know total costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Got a good few private messages from this post, hopefully a few happy boardsies with new cars soon. cheers :D

Hi could u provide me with the info

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pig farmer

Looking for some help. I have reserved a car with a garage in Northern Ireland, car has one owner in NI since new and I have confirmed with revenue that I won't be liable to pay VAT or Customs.

I have received a copy of the V5 from the garage and the CO2 on it is matching the number derived from the VRT Calculator. That has spit out a value of €3,368 (incl. NoX €140). I have a couple of questions on this.

1. Car has quite a nice spec, e.g. full leather seats, 18 inch alloys etc. Will the spec of the car change anything other than the OMSP when presented for VRT inspection?

2. There are two values for Co2 on the V5 cert, the 107 g/km which matches the value on the calculator and an Co2 exhaust emissions of 0.155. Does this matter?

3. Car is not taxed in NI since November, will this affect it's "Registered in NI before 1/1/2021" status.

Basically my overall concern is whether the number on calculator will deviate much from the value presented on inspection. (I'm okay with +€500, but don't want to get a shock given I have went to the bother of finding out all this information).

I'm not looking to see into anyone's crystal ball here, but I'm just worried by how much the value could change based on horror stories on here.

• Advertisement

1. Depends on the year of the car. If the car is 4 years old you won’t pay anything extra

2. Its the Co2 at the top of the V5, not the exhaust one at the bottom

3. No

See page 7 below for optional extras:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

Advertisement