Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Hi
    I'm confused as most people now when importing car.
    My thing is: I want to buy a car from dealer in Newry, I asked dealer about:

Quote:
    Proof that vehicles were properly imported into Northern Ireland will be required for vehicles first registered in Great Britain and subsequently registered in NI after 1 January 2021
    Proof will be in the form of:
    a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland
    or
    a T2L document issued by HMRC.
    I got quick replay
    Quote:
    Yes this car has been registered with Dealer Name for a while now and we can provide proof.
    We do the transfer to the South regularly.
    So after getting the car to Ireland what do I have to do next before presenting it for VRT(after making an appointment).
    I don't know what the "proof" will be but what forms do i have to fill then and do i have to still fill any forms for zero duty/customs?
    Last time when I was buying a car i just filled this form https://www.ncts.ie/media/1003/vrtformfinal-version.pdf and presented it with V5C
    Do i need to do more - I read revenue and other wwws whole morning and just can't find a clear information what to do - step by step.

Sorry for double posting but I think this topic is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭User1998

You answered your own question.

“Proof will be in the form of:
    a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland
    or
    a T2L document issued by HMRC.”

Then its VRT as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pig farmer

User1998 wrote: »
    1. Depends on the year of the car. If the car is 4 years old you won’t pay anything extra

2. Its the Co2 at the top of the V5, not the exhaust one at the bottom

3. No

See page 7 below for optional extras:

Thanks User1998, much appreciated - and thanks for your general contribution to this thread. Super helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Can anyone tell me if there is any value in buying from N.I. or the UK anymore? I am looking to buy a small first time car for my daughter in the coming months with a max budget of €8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jane98 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is any value in buying from N.I. or the UK anymore? I am looking to buy a small first time car for my daughter in the coming months with a max budget of €8k.

At that price point unlikely to be any saving when you go through all the hassle. NOX lexy killed off the importation of older diesels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No value in importing a car with a budget of 8k anymore. With VRT, Nox and potentially 10% import duty you would have to be looking at cars costing half that as the rest of your budget will be just tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

1. Depends on the year of the car. If the car is 4 years old you won’t pay anything extra

2. Its the Co2 at the top of the V5, not the exhaust one at the bottom

3. No

See page 7 below for optional extras:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

How will the VRT office know if it has extra options added? And does it apply to only certain makes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bazz26 wrote: »
    No value in importing a car with a budget of 8k anymore. With VRT, Nox and potentially 10% import duty you would have to be looking at cars costing half that as the rest of your budget will be just tax.

Indeed. Just did a calculation for my brother on a GBP£10k car.

Came in at €19.6k all in.

So, take the Sterling price and double it....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Original NI registered cars yes.

Imported to NI from GB or direct from GB, would be a 'no imho

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

How will the VRT office know if it has extra options added? And does it apply to only certain makes?

It applies to all cars but mostly higher end stuff, they can tell by searching the VIN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

It's good that there's a few people testing the waters now. Especially going the NI route.
    Out of interest, what sellers up north are people using?
    I might jump in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,825 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Japan is place to buy a car now. You'd buy a new car over there for 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

galwaytt wrote: »

got to agree they've already said that GB cars in danger of disappearing over the border (ie all of them) from NI will be subject to taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

Don't stress yourself out over saving maybe nothing. Or €500 at most. Buy local, get a warranty. The likes of thus is a perfect starter car.
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2740044
    As the guys say, youd need to get it for half that in £ before you'd be better off. Current UK price for this about £5000, so pointless to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Japan is place to buy a car now. You'd buy a new car over there for 4k

are jap imports exempt from VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

galwaytt wrote: »

Hi, away from this thread for last week or so. What’s the difference between both?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you must have been a way a lot longer than a week.... "The Deal" gives NI a toe in both the UK and the EU and different tax treatment.

fryup wrote: »

No

fryup wrote: »

10% duty
    vrt
    vat

Still cheaper though

https://www.tc-v.com/used_car/nissan/leaf/26577511/?isNew=1

No nox charge, and vrt relief up to 5k

yet 18k to Dublin

You'd pay 29k here

Its €19,000 delivered to Dublin Port.

10% Customs €1,900

23% VAT €4,800

Customs broker, port fees, tax, consumables €500

Total cost €26,200

Oh, and heres one in Ireland for €3k less and you don’t have to wait 2 months to get it (albeit with higher mileage)

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27088550

• Advertisement

Its €19,000 delivered to Dublin Port.

10% Customs €1,900

23% VAT €4,800

Customs broker, NCT, Tax, Consumables €500

Total cost €26,200

Oh, and heres one in Ireland for €3k less and you don’t have to wait 2 months to get it

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27088550

Ah but that's a damaged repairable car with much higher miles. Plus car in Japan is not haggled yet. They love to haggle, price drops a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah but that's a damaged repairable car with much higher miles. Plus car in Japan is not haggled yet. They love to haggle, price drops a lot.

How do you know its been repaired? And the Irish one hasn’t been haggled yet either. I’ve never gotten more than €100 off a Japanese car. Maybe I’m just bad at negotiating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

10% duty
    vrt
    vat
    Still cheaper though
    https://www.tc-v.com/used_car/nissan/leaf/26577511/?isNew=1
    No nox charge, and vrt relief up to 5k
    yet 18k to Dublin

You'd pay 29k here

You'd be a right uking feejit if you did. I'm seeing brand new for €26k.
    http://www.carsireland.ie/2703518

Isambard wrote: »
    you must have been a way a lot longer than a week.... "The Deal" gives NI a toe in both the UK and the EU and different tax treatment.

Jesas possibly so, rules and hearsay about them change so often now, it’s hard keep up!

So see there’s something up there now on revenue.... quick read of it and I think this is case :

If registered in NI prior to 1/1/21, then just vrt and nox

If registered in NI after 1/1/21, you must prove it was properly imported in by NI resident or business , and once u can prove it, u just pay vrt and nox

If registered in Ni after 1/1/21 and can’t prove it was properly imported, then you pay import fee, vat, vrt and nox, same as u would if bought it in Uk yourself ...

Am I right?

LillySV wrote: »
    If registered in NI prior to 1/1/21, then just vrt and nox

What exactly does registered in NI mean. Does it have to get NI plates?

What exactly does registered in NI mean. Does it have to get NI plates?

Don’t know to be honest, I’m hoping the few lads in the know here will clarify this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

LillySV wrote: »
    Don’t know to be honest, I’m hoping the few lads in the know here will clarify this

heres a start, first part is Northern......

gally74 wrote: »
    heres a start, first part is Northern......

Helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Glebee

Might be a small bit off topic but is there anything to stop me sell a car to Traynors in the North for parts if there willing to do a deal??

Advertisement