Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Check directly with your insurance company, best to avoid getting this wrong.

Have you not gone back to where you had it inspected, that would be my starting point, keep notes of your meetings and hopefully you have a copy of the vrt online calculation from December.

I wasn't able to import in December as I only sold my car a week ago as I posted before, I don't want hybrid or electric and find that importing is now off the table for me, mainly due to WLTP, I have been shopping online on DD etc looking for my chosen car in an 18 or 19, the local lads have revised prices upwards which to me is daft, are there that many people willing to cough up 30k+ that they feel they can do that.

I'm on the fence, I may buy new or I may buy a smaller older car as we have a fresh car in the house already and sit out this situation in the hope things improve and I get the choice of model I'm after..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ConfusedCircles

Yeah I’m going to get on to the insurance tomorrow. The guy in the VRT place said there was nothing they could do and that I just had to wait. I stupidly didn’t take a screenshot of my vrt quote in December but I think I’m ok in that respect as going by their website the car will be valued based on the date it was inspected (hopefully as it’s almost €5k dearer now). It’s just getting a price now is the issue..
    Thanks for your help!

pale rider wrote: »
    Check directly with your insurance company, best to avoid getting this wrong.

Have you not gone back to where you had it inspected, that would be my starting point, keep notes of your meetings and hopefully you have a copy of the vrt online calculation from December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BanananaBread

road_high wrote: »
    Has anyone gone through the process since jan 01st?
    Either from GB or NI and how was it?

Would be great to hear anyone's experience on this. I've spotted a 2018 car in NI with NI plates. I'm assuming the car was first registered in GB as the reg starts with XNZ?

If this is VAT free I would make the purchase this week but really can't afford to base anything on assumption.

The revenue information is incredibly wordy, be great to have something in black and white!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Would be great to hear anyone's experience on this. I've spotted a 2018 car in NI with NI plates. I'm assuming the car was first registered in GB as the reg starts with XNZ?

If this is VAT free I would make the purchase this week but really can't afford to base anything on assumption.

The revenue information is incredibly wordy, be great to have something in black and white!

XNZ is an NI reg, so you should be okay.

• Advertisement

No vat however check the VRt payable and let us know if you still see it as a good opportunity to upgrade, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I wasn't able to import in December as I only sold my car a week ago as I posted before, I don't want hybrid or electric and find that importing is now off the table for me, mainly due to WLTP, I have been shopping online on DD etc looking for my chosen car in an 18 or 19, the local lads have revised prices upwards which to me is daft, are there that many people willing to cough up 30k+ that they feel they can do that.

I'm on the fence, I may buy new or I may buy a smaller older car as we have a fresh car in the house already and sit out this situation in the hope things improve and I get the choice of model I'm after..

My brother was watching one car with an eye to making an offer on it. No need now; the seller has now put it UP €2400 overnight: it's not going to be feasible to import one now, so sellers know this.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

galwaytt wrote: »
    My brother was watching one car with an eye to making an offer on it. No need now; the seller has now put it UP €2400 overnight: it's not going to be feasible to import one now, so sellers know this.

greedy b********t's

No vat however check the VRt payable and let us know if you still see it as a good opportunity to upgrade, cheers.

VRT is €3000, NOx €140. However these costs were never in question because I can't find anything with similar spec this side of the border.

For context, I'm looking at a Mini, which means there are lots of personalisation options. Unfortunately, 90% of the ones I'm seeing on DD are very very basic. (Although I do understand that this is the same for most other cars in the Republic!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wrcarter

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I bought a car in the north before Christmas and luckily enough got inspected for VRT just before Christmas as well. They told me they didn’t have a price for me on the day but that they’d be in touch. This Friday will be 30 days since I presented it for inspection, and therefore my insurance will lapse I’m led to believe? I’ve tried to get on to revenue through my online account as I can’t get a phone number or email address anywhere and no one is getting back to me. Anyone in the same boat?

Call up the vrt booking line. The same happened me, I never got a call back. I called them on Monday. Turns out my valuation was on the system since the 10th. When I was in the centre, he said they are making loads of mistakes at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

Phil.x wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan doesn't care, he wants no more polluting English imports, only new and expensive EV's.

Save the environment and lots of vat,vrt, etc etc. Its a win win for him.

That ludicrous 5 grand Nox was a SIMI thing, they had a relentless campaign about 'UK Dumping smokey Diesels". It was really about trying to prop up the prices they sought for the very same cars they had taken in as trade ins, they had NO problem selling those smokey diesels as they called them. They couldn't give a sh!t about the Nox emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

Newstalk talking about importing cars from uk now in few mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2 neall

Hi all,

I have seen a car in the north from a dealer. Its a Vat Qualifying 2018 hybrid car, worth £20000
    Just wondering can anyone explain Vat qualifying.
    If the vat is claimed back from the dealer. Do I have to pay vat aswel as vrt to register in the south? Or just thre vrt?
    Thanks

Revenue should have an extensive Q & A up on importing cars at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ConfusedCircles

Thanks for that! Got the price, €1000 dearer than the online calculator unfortunately.
    wrcarter wrote: »
    Call up the vrt booking line. The same happened me, I never got a call back. I called them on Monday. Turns out my valuation was on the system since the 10th. When I was in the centre, he said they are making loads of mistakes at the moment.

neall wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have seen a car in the north from a dealer. Its a Vat Qualifying 2018 hybrid car, worth £20000
    Just wondering can anyone explain Vat qualifying.
    If the vat is claimed back from the dealer. Do I have to pay vat aswel as vrt to register in the south? Or just thre vrt?
    Thanks

Buy from dealer without UK 20%, i.e, take one sixth off the invoice, then add 21% VAT to the invoice when you register it here, But, its seems that you can just buy a UK plated car from a NI dealer including UK VAT , and then just pay the VRT here. There was no incentive to remove 20% and add what was 23% before brexit, Vat qualifying cars used only suit businesses who could claim it back, but now the reality of double VAT post Brexit for mainland imports has brought them to the fore. The NI situation is still confusing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

rodge123 wrote: »
    Newstalk talking about importing cars from uk now in few mins

Did they talk in any definite terms on anything?

Revenue should have an extensive Q & A up on importing cars at this stage.

The ideal scenario would be to pop in some of car details and be presented with estimates for VAT, Customs, VRT, NOx (Similar to the the VRT calculator).

However, knowing these numbers might entice people to import so I don't think it will be top of Revenue's to-do list anytime soon.

The ideal scenario would be to pop in some of car details and be presented with estimates for VAT, Customs, VRT, NOx (Similar to the the VRT calculator).

However, knowing these numbers might entice people to import so I don't think it will be top of Revenue's to-do list anytime soon.

These numbers might entice people to import, good one, worthy of Jimmy Carr that....nobody in their right mind doing the most basic of research on late model diesels for example will follow through with a personal import, it is cost prohibitive at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

These numbers might entice people to import, good one, worthy of Jimmy Carr that....nobody in their right mind doing the most basic of research on late model diesels for example will follow through with a personal import, it is cost prohibitive at this time.

It’s the VAT situation that is the problem. The VRT and Nox could have been worked around as ever. If that remains as is from GB then it is completely out of the question to import as before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 neall

deezell wrote: »
    Buy from dealer without UK 20%, i.e, take one sixth off the invoice, then add 21% VAT to the invoice when you register it here, But, its seems that you can just buy a UK plated car from a NI dealer including UK VAT , and then just pay the VRT here. There was no incentive to remove 20% and add what was 23% before brexit, Vat qualifying cars used only suit businesses who could claim it back, but now the reality of double VAT post Brexit for mainland imports has brought them to the fore. The NI situation is still confusing though.

Ah I see. Not really worth going down that road then. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

bca auctions have a large qty of vat qualifed cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

gally74 wrote: »
    bca auctions have a large qty of vat qualifed cars...

Indeed but not straightforward buying them. Could only avoid double VAT if you could buy at 0% or reclaim VAT, most of us can't. Dealers will snap them up and the public buying from them will pay market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

The wife’s an accountant and they just got an email from chartered accountants with this

LillySV wrote: »
    The wife’s an accountant and they just got an email from chartered accountants with this
    " ...onward sold to a car-dealer in ROI."

Not to a private individual in ROI. Is this the end game?, imports from the UK restored with no additional VAT, but only for ROI dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

" ...onward sold to a car-dealer in ROI."

Not to a private individual in ROI. Is this the end game?, imports from the UK restored with no additional VAT, but only for ROI dealers.

I'll be setting up as a "dealer" if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-margin-scheme-on-second-hand-cars-and-other-vehicles-vat-notice-7181

Here’s the Uk doc that it relates to...
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-margin-scheme-on-second-hand-cars-and-other-vehicles-vat-notice-7181

Haven’t got to look at it as still working .... they tryin to get Irish govt to pull their fingers out and do something anyways

This is interesting;
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/car-importers-get-new-opportunity-to-challenge-vrt-system-in-court-1068215.html

This finding below even more so, as I took some criticism here when I said the OMSP regime was not transparent.

"However, the CoA's Mr Justice Brian Murray also ruled UCII was entitled to a declaration that there was a failure by Revenue to provide details of how the open market selling price for used vehicles was determined for the purpose of calculating VRT."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

This is interesting;
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/car-importers-get-new-opportunity-to-challenge-vrt-system-in-court-1068215.html

This finding below even more so, as I took some criticism here when I said the OMSP regime was not transparent.

"However, the CoA's Mr Justice Brian Murray also ruled UCII was entitled to a declaration that there was a failure by Revenue to provide details of how the open market selling price for used vehicles was determined for the purpose of calculating VRT."

As I understand it, this relates to the period from 1993 to 2010, as it involves an appeal to a case that was lost a decade ago.

A whole new case would need to be taken to force Revenue to be open abt how the OMSP is arrived at today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Time for us to move to driving on the right.

Advertisement