Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Switching offer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Switched over from Vodafone and received my new modem in post today. Plugged it in but won't work. Do I need to wait for an engineer to call or what's the story does anyone know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Eir now giving 1500 of supervalu points with tv and B.B. deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Millem wrote: »
    Eir now giving 1500 of supervalu points with tv and B.B. deal.

hi

what tv channels would that be? is it internet tv?

mikeysmith wrote: »
    hi

Sorry it’s 1500 points with B.B. and phone deal!
    It’s 2000 points and 2500 points for other bundles. Log into your supervalu account and it will bring you to bundles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Switched over from Vodafone and received my new modem in post today. Plugged it in but won't work. Do I need to wait for an engineer to call or what's the story does anyone know

AFAIK, You have to wait until the line is switched over to eir at the exchange by an engineer.

mikeysmith wrote: »
    hi

Yes, Internet TV similar to Vodafone. I have the Vodafone and it's pretty good, but.. when ever I had an issue with my broadband, no TV. Once I was 3 days without service and it's in the contract.. no comeback. Also when I signed up for a the TV service from having their fibre for a year, the modem/router went faulty and they wanted to charge me for a new one, the one I had did not get a new warranty with the new contract.

I would be very wary of ever renewing a contract with service providers unless I get an extended warranty for the hardware as well in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

im just about to pull the trigger with sky bb.speeds drop to nothing in evening.i know sky use eir lines but i dont think they have enough bandwith to split between everyone.hence the big drop in speeds.should i join with eir

im just about to pull the trigger with sky bb.speeds drop to nothing in evening.i know sky use eir lines but i dont think they have enough bandwith to split between everyone.hence the big drop in speeds.should i join with eir

I've never had any speed issues with Vodafone, other than ones caused by router/modem issues. I would assume they would be the same as eir.
    Although, when I was with Sky on normal BB 5 years + ago. I never had any issues either with speeds. Always getting close to the 24 (DSL) or 100 (fibre)

Sup08 wrote: »
    I've never had any speed issues with Vodafone, other than ones caused by router/modem issues. I would assume they would be the same as eir.
    Although, when I was with Sky on normal BB 5 years + ago. I never had any issues either with speeds. Always getting close to the 24 (DSL) or 100 (fibre)

i only get about 30 at best with sky on fibre

• Advertisement

When I checked the line with eir, It said my line can take 90 approx. Was getting 84 approx. with Vodafone but they dropped it slightly for consistency.
    The new SIRO was installed in my estate over the last few months and will be activated in January, speeds up to 1GB, but I've no need for that type of speed anymore. :P

When I checked the line with eir, It said my line can take 90 approx. Was getting 84 approx. with Vodafone but they dropped it slightly for consistency.
    The new SIRO was installed in my estate over the last few months and will be activated in January, speeds up to 1GB, but I've no need for that type of speed anymore. :P

ya i reckon i could get closer to better speeds if i join with eir.i got the letter from sky bout the increase so gonna ring them and cancel.few days ago i got my sky username and pass thru fireshark and put those details into the eir f2000 but speeds still drop very badly from 30mb to about 4 every evening with sky.so i know its not the modem thats bad

ya i reckon i could get closer to better speeds if i join with eir.i got the letter from sky bout the increase so gonna ring them and cancel.few days ago i got my sky username and pass thru fireshark and put those details into the eir f2000 but speeds still drop very badly from 30mb to about 4 every evening with sky.so i know its not the modem thats bad

Try sign up to eir and just get as far as the line test, it will state what speed you can get up to.

Don't forget, there is an expectation to provide you with a speed in line with the offer. If they state that you can get up to 100Mbps and you only get 30, then that's a consumer issue that can be dealt with through comreg (I had a similar issue at first with Vodafone). Comreg would say that you should get 70% minimum of what you have signed up for. To me, If I buy a car, I expect 4 wheels on it and not 3..LOL.

Try sign up to eir and just get as far as the line test, it will state what speed you can get up to.

Don't forget, there is an expectation to provide you with a speed in line with the offer. If they state that you can get up to 100Mbps and you only get 30, then that's a consumer issue that can be dealt with through comreg (I had a similar issue at first with Vodafone). Comreg would say that you should get 70% minimum of what you have signed up for. To me, If I buy a car, I expect 4 wheels on it and not 3..LOL.
    Says I can get 50mb same as sky

Says I can get 50mb same as sky

Doesn't look like a change will make it any better. :(

Doesn't look like a change will make it any better. :(

Well for the sake of €20 saving its a gamble I'm willing to take.i think eir would have plenty of bandwidth to go around. I shouldn't have these huge drops in speed every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Millem wrote: »
    Sorry it’s 1500 points with B.B. and phone deal!
    It’s 2000 points and 2500 points for other bundles. Log into your supervalu account and it will bring you to bundles

Not seeing this at all
    I see that I get 1 point for every€2 I spend on my bill but no sign of 1500 points

Not seeing this at all
    I see that I get 1 point for every€2 I spend on my bill but no sign of 1500 points
    It's there alright I just seen it

Missed it myself when ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭the goon

Ffs. Been with Eir for years. Currently paying €50 per month for unlimited broadband only rolling contract. Anyone tell me if they are doing any deals for existing customers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just got out of a contract with Eir. I would never go back to them no matter how good the offer.

Same here ,I wouldn't go back to them even if it was free .

anyone tring to sign up are ye getting couldnt process order at the last step

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Perhaps it's been asked already but the deal comes with a free tablet and free smartphone. Does anyone know the spec of the smartphone and what mobile package is included? Getting this information out of eir is proving difficult.

Edit: They really do make it confusing. The 40 EUR offer advertised in a large banner on their main page is not the same offer that is advertised on the main page. It's a 24 month contract and a completely different package. The offer says 40/month for 12 months and a extra €5 off per month for 6 months. No further details.

i just switched over from sky after having a 45 min fight with them before losing my temper with the guy fobbing me off with lots of b.s still saying there was a fault.PATIENCE u need to put up with them is unreal.35 euro for 6 months saving me 20 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

i just switched over from sky after having a 45 min fight with them before losing my temper with the guy fobbing me off with lots of b.s still saying there was a fault.PATIENCE u need to put up with them is unreal.35 euro for 6 months saving me 20 euro

Sky or Eir. If you're moving from Sky Fiber I'd be interested to see if you notice any improvement or even deterioration after moving to Eir. We moved from Vodafone to Sky and have issues in the evenings now where we never had that problem with Vodafone.

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Sky or Eir. If you're moving from Sky Fiber I'd be interested to see if you notice any improvement or even deterioration after moving to Eir. We moved from Vodafone to Sky and have issues in the evenings now where we never had that problem with Vodafone.

I have issue with sky every evening. Only had eir before on old bb so might see a big improvement or even a little is better than sky crap.i don't think sky have enough bandwidth to cope with all the customers so they drop it off to share it around to everyone where I think eir has more than enough from what I hear these days

Perhaps it's been asked already but the deal comes with a free tablet and free smartphone. Does anyone know the spec of the smartphone and what mobile package is included? Getting this information out of eir is proving difficult.

Edit: They really do make it confusing. The 40 EUR offer advertised in a large banner on their main page is not the same offer that is advertised on the main page. It's a 24 month contract and a completely different package. The offer says 40/month for 12 months and a extra €5 off per month for 6 months. No further details.

i'm not seeing a smartphone or tablet with this offer

there's smartphones and tablets free on the website but the contracts have balloon payments after 12months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

On accessing the eir/bt sport channels, does anyone know if I picked up a second hand sky box, would I be able to use it to view the eir sport channels?

Would I need either a viewing card or a sky tv sub?

I have an android tv box but would pick up a cheap sky box if I knew I could them plus I'd get the freeview channels on it as well I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

the goon wrote: »
    Ffs. Been with Eir for years. Currently paying €50 per month for unlimited broadband only rolling contract. Anyone tell me if they are doing any deals for existing customers?

Cancel and get a new account in the name of someone else in the house

stdidit wrote: »
    On accessing the eir/bt sport channels, does anyone know if I picked up a second hand sky box, would I be able to use it to view the eir sport channels?

I have an android tv box but would pick up a cheap sky box if I knew I could them plus I'd get the freeview channels on it as well I think..

I have iptv so already have these so won't need these channels at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Ah-Watch wrote:

For that exact reason I moved away from Sky to Eir. Evening time and speeds become a joke, much more consistent now since moving to Eir..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Zardoz

How much broadband downtime is one looking at for a switchover ?

• Advertisement

SmallBalls wrote: »
    For that exact reason I moved away from Sky to Eir. Evening time and speeds become a joke, much more consistent now since moving to Eir..

glad u said that cos since 7pm mine is gone to 3mb from 30.how is that possible ffs.i was told today that i wont experience any downtime at all since i gave eir my UAN so they do it all from their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sneaky Sky.

Cancelled with them last week, and the best they could offer me was, instead of my broadband going up by €4 per month, they could reduce it by a further €3 per month if I signed up to a new 18 month contract. So that would bring it down to around €42 per month for 18 months. Absolutely the best they could do!
    I reaffirmed what Eircom were offering and went ahead with the cancellation.

Low and behold, I receive an email from Sky yesterday saying that if I "come back to Sky Broadband", they'll do it for €32 per month on a 12 month contract! Dirty barstewards!

I reckon this Eircom offer has them running scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

stdidit wrote: »

You would need a viewing card.

You enter the viewing card number on the Eir Sport website and you're done. No Sky sub required.

You would need a viewing card.

You enter the viewing card number on the Eir Sport website and you're done. No Sky sub required.

Really stupid question but do Freesat/Saorview combo boxes have a slot for card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mkov

wrote an email to Vodafone asking if they can give me better deal before I switch and got no reply so I switched to Eir. Today I received email from Vodafone saying to call their customer service but I should beware of 30 day cancellation notice I need to give. Rang their customer service and I was told once my broadband is switched over thats it and that will automatically cancel my contract and service from Vodafone, no need to give them notice.

As an aside, I have to wait until December 14th for an engineer to call for installation.

This is despite the fact I had eFibre before, switched to Sky Broadband (involved plugging out the Eircom modem and in the Sky modem), and now I'm switching back again.

I've tried to argue with them that I don't need the visit, as all wiring is already done, and all I need is the modem to plug in. But they won't listen, so I have to wait.

Very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Gone to a 18 month contract now, anyone able to get them back to 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Gone to a 18 month contract now, anyone able to get them back to 12 months

Still 12 months on the website. Link in post #2

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Am I wrong or was the TV included bundle deal not 12 months as well the other day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,963 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So how many have taken up this offer only to realise just how crap the service provided is?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

As a matter of interest is the 14 day cooling off period from when the service is installed on from the day of purchase/order.

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Am I wrong or was the TV included bundle deal not 12 months as well the other day?

As far as I remember, the broadband only was 12 month, bb + tv was 18 months, and bb + tv + mobile was 24.
    So how many have taken up this offer only to realise just how crap the service provided is?

That might be your experience.

I was with Eircom for years before witching to Sky (better offer) and I never once had an issue with them. I'm actually quite looking forward to going back to them actually, such was the easy life I had.
    As a matter of interest is the 14 day cooling off period from when the service is installed on from the day of purchase/order.

From installation date I'm assuming.

Otherwise my cooling off period expires before I get it installed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mkov

I was with Eircom too when it was just 8Mb/s broadband, than switched to Vodafone and it has gone to 80Mb/s, and I assume it should be same with Eir, but cheaper. Vodafone really annoyed me with phone calls trying to sell their products, I usually like to be offered good deal, however twice in the last 4 years I had to use cooling off period because of signing up based on lies the sales person told me. I'm sort of glad I am moving to Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wasn't in any contract, I rang 1907, pressed #6 to speak to CC and got them to transfer me to loyalty/cancellation team. I told them EIR are doing new offer and said I'd rather not go to hassle of changing provider so asked what they could offer, they said they could offer 40 a month for 12 months and I asked can they do any better and they said 35 a month for 12 months and then 45 a month for 6 months on an 18 month contract, I said 45 a month will set the precedent for higher charging after the contract ends, so asked could they do 35 a month for a 12 month contract and they said yes to that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It starts when the last component of your service is up and running.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

I checked my current speed with VM and I'm getting 28Mbps. When you check your address with Eir on their website it's saying I can get up to 2Mbps. I assume if VM can give me 28Mbps than Eir can offer the same if not better?

Thanks for the replies.

I checked my current speed with VM and I'm getting 28Mbps. When you check your address with Eir on their website it's saying I can get up to 2Mbps. I assume if VM can give me 28Mbps than Eir can offer the same if not better?

No. Virgin can offer much faster. How did you check your current speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Im on Eir, signed up to high speed, was getting 15 Mbps. Next door neighbour had them out, they told him thats all I was getting, and he called into me to have a look. 20 minutes later I had a new modem and 95Mbps. That was after numerous calls being told thats all I could get.

Can check your speed here...

https://broadbandspeedtest.ie

Basil3 wrote: »
    No. Virgin can offer much faster. How did you check your current speed?

How can VM offer faster speeds, do they use the Eir infrastructure?

It's interesting to see what I get. I may yet be cancelling them if 2Mbps is all I can get

Double the value of the supervalu money off vouchers off your eir bill

pretty handy right off the bat tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement