Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

antoobrien wrote: »
    Now consider this: if they can get somewhere with a lower lease it may even be a boon to the business as their cost base will reduce.

That's the whole point the business may not be closing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

That's the whole point the business may not be closing.

But there is also a new business that wants to open.

But there is also a new business that wants to open.

rumoured to be opening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 TimWigan

New paint & wallpaper shop in eastside gate

rumoured to be opening

So press releases & PP applications are rumours now, what a laugh.

Explain this then:

Ladbrokes has applied for permission to open a betting office at the Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road.

The bookmaker is seeking permission for proposed change of use of an existing retail unit at the shopping centre to a licensed betting office unit, including all associated internal alterations and associated signage together with a new south facing satellite dish and all associated site development works at Unit 29/30 in the Galway Shopping Centre, currently occupied by William’s Motor Warehouse.

Link: http://galwayindependent.com/20130908/news/new-bookies-planned-S24037.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

ArtyC wrote: »
    There's an amazing new Asian shop open across from Sally longs! Delighted !! It's huge :)

I love spicy food but have never been to an Asian food shop. What do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I love spicy food but have never been to an Asian food shop. What do you recommend?

Its been there since the beginning of summer has it not? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So press releases & PP applications are rumours now, what a laugh.

Explain this then:

Link: http://galwayindependent.com/20130908/news/new-bookies-planned-S24037.html

No.

A planning application is just that. The fact is that planning has been applied for. The specualtion based on it is that a new business is definitely opening..

Just because someone has asked for planning does not mean that:

a) planning will be granted, or
    b) they will agree and sign a lease.

Sure, some businesses may have a lease-condiional-on-planning, but I'll bet that lots don't too.

A while back, I thought about starting a thread called "New planning applications" for discussing interesting ones - because I saw an app to replace the houses on Middle St wehre the short-lived Social Space was. Never quite got around to it ... maybe someone else should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Asia/Manila Store on Abbeygate St has crossed the road and taken over the former Olio and Farina shop unit. Fresh meat counter there too now.
    There's an amazing new Asian shop open across from Sally longs! Delighted !! It's huge :)
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its been there since the beginning of summer has it not? :P

Ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Mostly noodles, rice, hot sauce and sushi making stuff... Just try different stuff. There was a good thread about Asian markets in the cooking and recipes forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McAlinden's bar to re-open under new management, page 57 of the Galway Advertiser
    Was there recently, it's open now as Carroll's.
    Furniture etc is the same.

biko wrote: »
    Was there recently, it's open now as Carroll's.
    Furniture etc is the same.

whos the new management?

Ahem.

Don't think its been there all summer, theres still stock in the old, now clsed, shop and a fresh looking paper sign saying "we are now over the road" or suchlike.

Jasmine grocery around in mary st have been there all summer, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,265 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Don't think its been there all summer, theres still stock in the old, now clsed, shop and a fresh looking paper sign saying "we are now over the road" or suchlike.

Jasmine grocery around in mary st have been there all summer, though.

Might want to fix the auld specs Mrs OB. I quoted someone who said twas there all Summer, i was pointing out id already posted about Asia Manila a week before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Shop and filling station @ flemings garage seems to be getting a makeover or refurb. twud be good to see this open as its very handy for me !

Westy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

The place next door to The Old Forge (two doors down from Massimos) is getting a refurb. Seems to have been empty for a while.

serfboard wrote: »
    The place next door to The Old Forge (two doors down from Massimos) is getting a refurb. Seems to have been empty for a while.

Think it's a new charity shop

westgolf wrote: »
    Shop and filling station @ flemings garage seems to be getting a makeover or refurb. twud be good to see this open as its very handy for me !

Westy

It's currently being re-branded as a Top oil filling station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

There were builders in Una Taffees this morning but probably trying to stop it falling down than putting anything new in there.....

An Pucan on Forster St is closed. Sign on the door says "for renovations".

We just walked past and it looks like the stock is being removed, so must be lots of work being done :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Think it's a new charity shop

Ohhhhh, that could be deemed to be spreading a rumour by the moderators.

Ill pay someone to figure out what's going into the fujifilm store on shop street (across from taffees) I've heard a rumore RE: it but ibdont want to be given the electric chair by the mods over it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Sex shop.....:eek:

Ohhhhh, that could be deemed to be spreading a rumour by the moderators.

Well there's a big poster in a window down there saying a charity shop is opening but I'm not certain if it's exactly two doors down from the old forge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonlight06

An Pucan on Forster St is closed. Sign on the door says "for renovations".

We just walked past and it looks like the stock is being removed, so must be lots of work being done :rolleyes:

Just walked past and theres a known baliff outside with a hammer. Hes defo not doing renovations!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Ill pay someone to figure out what's going into the fujifilm store on shop street (across from taffees) I've heard a rumore RE: it but ibdont want to be given the electric chair by the mods over it :pac:

Claddagh Jewellers/Lazlo extending in from next door.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just walked past and theres a known baliff outside with a hammer. Hes defo not doing renovations!

That place closed a few months back about 3 years ago as well, always seem to have problems there in winter months.
    Now where will i go for my breakfast, was one of the best in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Heard that mr price shop is in trouble, closed before xmas ,think it was on galway radio today . liked that shop,got loads of kids stuff for going back to school.

Mr Price (Terryland) is in a dispute with their landlord's bank. It's not closed per se, but the staff are picketing outside.

Yup, i chose my words carefully :)

When we were going home last night, the vehicles outside being used to remove stuff included a horse float.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Yup, i chose my words carefully :)

When we were going home last night, the vehicles outside being used to remove stuff included a horse float.

Whats a horse float?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

MrPrice staff were also picketing outside the financial centre @ Moneenageisha today. One of their signs referred to upwards only rent reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

snubbleste wrote: »
    MrPrice staff were also picketing outside the financial centre @ Moneenageisha today. One of their signs referred to upwards only rent reviews.

Their manager was on the radio today (Galway Bay) Their landlord didn't get permission from ACC to lease the building to Mr. Price. Landlord is now gone bust and ACC are now trying to pull the lease. Mr Price want to stay and are willing to pay fair market rent or purchase the unit at fair market price but ACC are not interested.

This was just their version of the story but if it's true, it's mad that the bank won't make a deal rather than have an empty unit on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mr Price (Terryland) is in a dispute with their landlord's bank. It's not closed per se, but the staff are picketing outside.

A link to the story.

JillyQ wrote: »
    Whats a horse float?

A trailer used for transporting horses.

Is your google broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

A trailer used for transporting horses.

Is your google broken?

No just never heard of a horse box being called a horse float before

Claddagh Jewellers/Lazlo extending in from next door.
    surely claddagh jewllers and lazlobare owned by different groups

surely claddagh jewllers and lazlobare owned by different groups

No, the Fried family. Lazlo's two sons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

The petrol station on the Tuam road is reopened as Spar/Top.

Looks like they redid the shop part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Nice one. I thought it was looking all sparkly shiny alright, as I was driving past yesterday evening.

I hope it's 24 hour like before, t'would be handy for us nocturnal folks that need milk and bread at 4am.

I hope it's 24 hour like before, t'would be handy for us nocturnal folks that need milk and bread at 4am.
    The sign on it says 24 hour anyway.

Interesting one on GBFM

Applegreen may open on the former site of Hanley motors. There used to be a filling station there years ago (Maxol I think) and they will be completely modernising the site.

The proposal is to demolish at least some of the existing buildings (it's not clear if this includes the showrooms), construct new shops offices & car wash as well as put in new storage tanks & 4 pumps.

Cookes is reopening this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Interesting one on GBFM

Applegreen may open on the former site of Hanley motors. There used to be a filling station there years ago (Maxol I think) and they will be completely modernising the site.

The proposal is to demolish at least some of the existing buildings (it's not clear if this includes the showrooms), construct new shops offices & car wash as well as put in new storage tanks & 4 pumps.

Where is this site? Can't recall hanley motors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Where is this site? Can't recall hanley motors

I think it's the former Renault garage on the Tuam road.
    It was using the citygate name for a while, it has been closed for some time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Twas indeed the Citygate premises on the Tuam road. It was Hanley motors in a previous life.

Also on that same road at Flemings the site on the left (as you enter Flemings forecourt ) that was shuttered for the last 4 or 5 years seems to be underway again during the week.

Westy

http://galwayindependent.com/20131030/business/new-xtra-visionhmv-store-now-open-S26610.html
    Commenting on the openings, Hilco Capital Ireland CEO, Larry Howard said that integrating HMV with Xtra-vision is a “very exciting way of bringing the HMV brand into towns all over Ireland”.

“Most of these towns have never had a HMV store located in close proximity, and Hilco is looking forward to delivering the HMV experience to these locations. We hope the people of Galway welcome and embrace the new Xtra-vision/HMV store in the town.”

I presume this is the where the existing extravision shop is (beside Happy Days I think, no mention in the article), seems to be a partnership/rebranding exercise to try to drum up custom.

seems to be a partnership/rebranding exercise to try to drum up custom.
    No, Hilco bought both of these chains when they went bust and now they're trying to see if either of these dead ducks can fly again.

They had been converging anyway, with Xtra-Vision selling CDs and HMV selling videos, but online killed them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Preliminary works starting on the Monaghans site on the Tuam Road where Quinn's BMW will be, between their current dealership and the Galway Plate restaurant. Due to open early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

The new Evergreen store in Oranmore has opened, had a quick look a few minutes ago as I did the Tesco shopping its even bigger than the Headford road one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement