Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I'm sick of reading books that nobody talks about in everyday life, so this year I'm starting to read more classics.

Right now I'm on War and Peace.

Greatest novel ever written? Jesus it's tedious.

That's one on my list, to be tackled in the next couple of years. Read another Tolstoy a few months ago - Anna Karenina & struggled with it a wee bit in places. Challenging books can often be very rewarding if persevered with. On the other hand if you're new to Russian literature there's probably far easier authors to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Custardpi wrote: »
    On the other hand if you're new to Russian literature there's probably far easier authors to start with.
    I'm a big fan of Pushkin, I loved Eugene Onegin, and probably because it's so different to typical Russian classics.

It's nowhere near as colossal as War and Peace in terms of time commitment, keeping track of characters, or trying to motivate an interest in military tactics.

It's funny how we in Europe celebrate Tolstoy as potentially the greatest writer of all time. My understanding is that in Russia, Tolstoy plays second fiddle to Pushkin in the public consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

The Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn and loving it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Strumpet City, amazing book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

The Plague by Albert Camus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Powered through The Great Gatsby what with the film being out. Entertaining enough read for something so short.

Currently reading "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket" by Edgar Allen Poe. Only started it, but I've high hopes.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Powered through The Great Gatsby what with the film being out. Entertaining enough read for something so short.

Currently reading "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket" by Edgar Allen Poe. Only started it, but I've high hopes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

The Green Book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Just finished a book called Stolen Time by a woman who was wrongly on death row for a year. I love non-fiction. It was only ok, there was a bit of a lack of actual details, around her trial and want went wrong for my liking. I guess that's the problem with autobiographies as opposed to biographies.

I'm just about to start the Call the Midwife series by Jennifer Worth (the books the TV programme are based on). Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Lionheart by Sharon Penman :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Self-Made Man by journalist Norah Vincent, about eighteen months of her life that she spent disguised as a dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Vernon God Little

About a teenager of the above name in deepest small town Texas. Funny enough so far, though very over the top with metaphors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Four Kings by the late American sports writer George Kimball.

Charts the heady days of middleweight boxing in the 1980's when Leonard, Duran, Hearns and Hagler all fought each other at various stages, and were all at their peak. A thoroughly fascinating read. Wouldn't be a massive boxing fan, but such is the quality of the book that you don't need to be to enjoy it.

I thought I wouldn't read a better sports orientated book than HG Bissinger's Friday Night Lights, but I think I definitely found a contender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I am nearly finished a Dance of Dragons.....I hope he hurries up with the winds of winter!!! He left the book on such a cliff hanger!

The Children of Hurin by Tolkien. Not really a fan of his writing style but I've nothing else to read :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Vernon God Little

About a teenager of the above name in deepest small town Texas. Funny enough so far, though very over the top with metaphors.

Nearly wet myself reading that book. Poignant at times as well, though

Vernon God Little

Yeah tis a good one alright. Handy tips for eating fried chicken (weird the things you remember from a book, eh?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Pompeii by Robert Harris

and

Leningrad by Anna Reid.

Reading the short novel "Heart Of A Dog" by Mikhail Bulgakov, whose most famous book "The Master & Margarita" is one of my favourites. While the main plot centres around the story of a scientist who creates a kind of hybrid man-dog in his laboratory there's also some wry commentary about Soviet politics & society which would have been quite controversial in that era. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

maguic24 wrote: »
    I am nearly finished a Dance of Dragons.....I hope he hurries up with the winds of winter!!! He left the book on such a cliff hanger!

I'm reading the Steven Erikson series Malazan book of the fallen. I had just got through the last GOT book so its great to be reading something that has finshed. I prefer Steven Eriksons style too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I'm reading the Steven Erikson series Malazan book of the fallen. I had just got through the last GOT book so its great to be reading something that has finshed. I prefer Steven Eriksons style too.

Enjoyed GoT but Malazan is just way better. Faster paced and more action but just as much intrigue and politics too. Just finished book 2. Reading the last Wheel of Time book now before continuing. Only took 10 years since I started it to finally get the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Cokeistan wrote: »
    The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Another epic writer. Loved Mistborn and Stormlight. Haven't got to Elantris yet but look forward to it. I'm so glad he finished Robert Jordans Wheel of Time, honestly better than Jordan could I think because he wasn't so immersed in that universe but was still loyal to it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Undisputed by Chris Jericho

Very good. Would recommend to others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Based on current events both in the States and London, I've just started Blood and Rage: A Cultural History of Terrorism by Michael Burleigh.

Interesting insight into the possible mindset of those who carry out these acts, from the first 'terrorists' as in Irish Republicans and upto modern days 'Jihadist'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Potatoeman wrote: »

I must give them a lash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I'm reading Flash Gordon by Arthur Byron Cover, Night in the Lonesome October by Richard Laymon and Alexander Outland:Space Pirate by G. J. Koch. Although the Flash Gordon one is getting the most attention at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

NothingMan wrote: »
    Enjoyed GoT but Malazan is just way better. Faster paced and more action but just as much intrigue and politics too. Just finished book 2. Reading the last Wheel of Time book now before continuing. Only took 10 years since I started it to finally get the last one.

Must try out Malazan. Got completely bored with the fourth book in GOT and gave up. Reading A Memory of Light too myself. Only a quarter way in but seems promising so far! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Ham Wallet

Playboy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Reading a thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini.Not much happening at the moment but it's still engrossing for some reason,the characters really come to life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement