Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Anyone here on Goodreads? would like to share book lists? :)

I'm currently reading Inside Out is a your standard dystopian read.
    I have recently finished WoT series .. ended well, as one would expect, I think. Wish I knew if the Aiel future was truly changed or not :P.

Well I was thinking the same myself but the fact

SPOILER =
    that Rand survived and now probably has unlmited power... and since Mat and Tuon survived it changes the whole outcome that Aviendha saw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Finally got around to reading the 'Song of Ice and Fire' books. I'm just starting the second one, I highly recommend the first one anyway. I've watched the Game of Thrones TV series, so far I prefer the first book to season 1 of the TV Show, far more vivid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 apollonia

Coetzee " Age of Iron" -very very very very GOOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why would you do that to yourself?
    R&J is a crap read. Impulsive, melodramatic(yes, I know it's supposed to be), unrealistic imo.

If you're gonna read anything by Shakespeare, go for Hamlet.

I've read Hamlet when I was doing my leaving cert. And it is my favourite play by Shakespeare! Back then for some reason I really identified myself with Hamlet. I'll probably read it again.

I suppose Macbeth would be my next pick but I was following John Green's "Crash Course in Literature" on youtube and he had Romeo and Juliet as part of his reading list...

Anyway, I just finished The Great Gatsby. Loved it! Its such a beautifully written book. The book sort of has a completeness to it that the film failed to capture.

I have The Count of Monty Cristo qued up next. Although I should go back to finishing Moby Dick sometime too...
    The Catcher in the Rye is another book I need to read. I suppose that's what I'll start reading next!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Got Orwell's 1984 from Amazon this morning. I won't start reading it immediately as I'm currently reading "A Thig Na Tit Orm" which is an Irish book written by a native Irish speaker from Kerry. It's on my Leaving Cert course too, but I'm enjoying it as a read in itself too, even if people are constantly criticising the material on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Iain Banks "A Song of Stone" - not one of his more outstanding ones but still intrigueing, nevertheless. After that it's either going to be more George RR Martin or Le Carre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

MOC88 wrote: »

SPOILER =
    that Rand survived and now probably has unlmited power... and since Mat and Tuon survived it changes the whole outcome that Aviendha saw
    Well tbh, it never said he didn't live through in what Aveindha saw.

And did it show Mat & Fortuona die? .. Cause what I remember it showed the Aiel being at war (losing) against the Seanchan.

I would've thought the Aiel forcing Rand to add them to the treaty is part of what might change the future for them, as they wouldn't be going back to the three fold land. Still I'd love to see more.
    Guess might have to find a good fanfic author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Working my way through The Shining at the moment surprised by how different it is from the film. I had heard that it was but I though that they were exaggerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

MOC88 wrote: »

SPOILER =
    You did not spoiler that properly! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Read a thousand splendid suns a few weeks ago and then took a break to catch up on a few other things,now halfway through the kite runner by the same Author.Again,excellent book so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Read a thousand splendid suns a few weeks ago and then took a break to catch up on a few other things,now halfway through the kite runner by the same Author.Again,excellent book so far.

Saw the film of the latter when it came out, how does the book compare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Custardpi wrote: »
    Saw the film of the latter when it came out, how does the book compare?

I haven't actually seen the film myself,I picked up that other novel by chance and have just carried on with the author (albeit in the wrong order,makes no difference though).I'd recommend the book however if you enjoyed the story of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Reading Mastery by Robert Greene at the moment. It reads much more fluidly then his other books in my opinion which I found great but somewhat tedious at times. And like his other books it's worth reading for the mini-bios alone.

Definitely worth picking up if you get the chance.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett, <3 Rincewind

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Man's Search For Meaning - Victor Frankl.

This is going to be an all-nighter. It is truly life-changing stuff. I won't stop till I finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

American Tabloid - James Ellroy.

An excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Just finished mark kermode's The Good The Bad and The Multiplex. intersting, well argued stuff but unless youre really into movies it will bore the tits off you. i expected it to be funnier coming from kermode

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

robman60 wrote: »
    Got Orwell's 1984 from Amazon this morning. I won't start reading it immediately as I'm currently reading "A Thig Na Tit Orm" which is an Irish book written by a native Irish speaker from Kerry. It's on my Leaving Cert course too, but I'm enjoying it as a read in itself too, even if people are constantly criticising the material on the course.

Hope its better then the version I bought from Amazon. It was printed by Amazon in tiny font, 6 I'm guessing. The layout was terrible, no index and chapter titles on the bottom of a page with the text not starting until the next page. If it is the same one (plain black cover) I'd recommend you send it back and get a better version as it ruined the book for me, made is so difficult to read, I was squinting the entire time :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Just finished mark kermode's The Good The Bad and The Multiplex. intersting, well argued stuff but unless youre really into movies it will bore the tits off you. i expected it to be funnier coming from kermode

Try his first effort - "It's Only a Movie" - that's funnier. Plus it has the legendary Herzog/bullet interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

The colour purple by Alice Walker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett, <3 Rincewind

My favourite line by Terry Pratchett, ' The Mended Drum has a Splatter. Just like a bouncer, only uses more force'

The man is a genius.

My favourite line by Terry Pratchett, ' The Mended Drum has a Splatter. Just like a bouncer, only uses more force'

The man is a genius.
    "Grinning like a necrophiliac in a morgue" is one that always stood out for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

"Grinning like a necrophiliac in a morgue" is one that always stood out for me :D
    That smiley face in your post is looking a little suspicious for my liking! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Jerusalem : the biography' by Simon Sebag Monefiore. Good so far. Very bloody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

"A Wanted Man" by Lee Child.
    I just started it but its a struggle to read on. Lee Child seems like an awful writer.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    "A Wanted Man" by Lee Child.
    I just started it but its a struggle to read on. Lee Child seems like an awful writer.

I tried one of his books, 'Nothing to Lose'. An entertaining read, but Jack Reacher strikes me as an almost perfect hero, which makes for an unremarkable protagonist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm a self-confessed chick-lit fiend and I normally just read Marian Keyes/Jane Green/Sophie Kinsella-fluffy and fun, I know, but I like them.

At the moment I'm reading "Always on my Mind" by Colette Caddle but I'm really looking forward to reading "The Red House" by Mark Haddon, which my Mum picked up for me recently; it isn't what I'd normally read, so I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I am finishing off life the universe and everything by Douglas Adams at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭donegal_man

About half way through Tom Holts's "Djinn Rummy". Djinnuinely hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Stalingrad - Anthony Beevor

Excellant read, must get more of his books.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement