Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

They don't appear to be claiming they are genuine though in fairness, just terrible fakes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Homer wrote: »
    Judging by recent reports on RTE news of CAB raids I thought most Rolex owners wore tracksuits :confused:

My current working from home (a year next month) get up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Lorddrakul wrote: »

He's put the wrong watch image up he says... but if you scroll thru the images, there is another watch there as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Nothing to se here, move along please... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-41mm-15400s/23097765#comment_139923005

I am very suspicious here

1. The new post status.
    2. The bracelet clasp is not right, there should be screws on the inner part and the AP writing is not like that.
    3. Date numbers are very small and dark.
    4. The brushing look very coarse.
    5. Mirror parts dont seem great.
    6. Box is unlike any I can find for this ref.
    7. Price is well under market but not screaming fake.

Nothing conclusive but I am very suspicious. Have asked for movement photos.

Real One

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsothebys-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fmedia-desk%2F6c%2F51%2Fc27fb6af4efca9f0700eee23018a%2Fbmxdg-4.jpg

This one
    Screenshot-2021-03-06-131219.png

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/casual/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-41mm-15400s/23097765#comment_139923005

1. The new post status.
    2. The bracelet clasp is not right, there should be screws on the inner part and the AP writing is not like that.

Thats definitely fake, the screws on the front are way off, they should be completely flush with the bezel, look at the top two theres a visible gap between them and the recess.

Theres another giveaway thats harder to see, but the A and the P in the AP just below 12 are too close and theres no white between them. The bottom of the P should be flat too but if you zoom in its, not

Compare those photos with this one here, which is the same model- plgG1Uazj

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Also, all the tags are in a plastic packet. Exactly how they come when you get a rep box. I don't know how a genuine one comes, but I'd be surprised if AP left stuff in a plastic pack out. Could be wrong. Also, fake box sellers always have a matching bag exactly like this guy has. Do many genuine second hand Royal Oaks come with an AP bag like this? Plain green seems more common, however this style is the one that comes up for AP on a popular fake box site.

Don't think I'll be handing over my €20k for this

The bag is different from what i was given by AP in London when i got a rubber strap from the. The one i got was just green with Audemars Piguet written on it in Gold.

• Advertisement

On a side note, how does it feel to leave a jeweller with a bag with that on the side? I feel like a target leaving a shop with "Vodafone" on it. I think I read before that thieves in London target people leaving high end jewellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

1. The new post status.

Real One

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsothebys-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fmedia-desk%2F6c%2F51%2Fc27fb6af4efca9f0700eee23018a%2Fbmxdg-4.jpg

This one
    Screenshot-2021-03-06-131219.png

Would someone genuine selling this watch highlight the fact it’s water resistance to 50m but little else? It’s not really relevant for this type of watch is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

griffin100 wrote: »
    Would someone genuine selling this watch highlight the fact it’s water resistance to 50m but little else? It’s not really relevant for this type of watch is it?

Clearly targetting me there :D - let's go skin diving with it :)

Well the AP is marked as sold now.....too many questions from you pesky meddling kids.

Good. The AP logo on the clasp are on a few other donedeal reps, but not on the better AP reps. First result on rwi is this

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/audemars-piguet-ap/8452804-royal-oak-15202-jumbo-showdown-xf-jf-dc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Disappointing. I am in the market for something like that. But preference for 39mm(at the right price) or the “ladies” 37mm version (**** off archie with your collection of the ugliest patek ever gathered (bit harsh maybe)).

They don’t pop up for sale on Ireland very often.

1. The new post status.

Thanks for the heads up, added him to the watch list

Cienciano wrote: »
    On a side note, how does it feel to leave a jeweller with a bag with that on the side? I feel like a target leaving a shop with "Vodafone" on it. I think I read before that thieves in London target people leaving high end jewellers.

The AP house is on New Bond St, so pretty much all the shops around it are extremely high end. Didn't bother me personally, it was the middle of the day and was staying by Green Park anyway so it was about a two minute walk back to my hotel.
    893bet wrote: »
    Disappointing. I am in the market for something like that. But preference for 39mm(at the right price) or the “ladies” 37mm version.

Unfortunately they never come up. I imagine a 39mm would fit you perfectly, they're quite long lug to lug.

Disappointing. I am in the market for something like that. But preference for 39mm(at the right price) or the “ladies” 37mm version (**** off archie with your collection of the ugliest patek ever gathered (bit harsh maybe)).

RO wear big, thin but bug lug to lug. For me its the thing, its a big industrial block of a thing that The 39 would suit you will, but the 37 is a bit small. Defo need to try in at that level but thats a hard task this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

The AP was back there for a minute.

By the time I had my question typed it was gone lol. Spocker all over it.

Lots of extra images, of the package.

• Advertisement

The AP was back there for a minute.

By the time I had my question typed it was gone lol. Spocker all over it.

Lots of extra images, of the package.

:D Homer was in there too. He had added an appraisal from 2018, putting the value at $28k

NTJhNGNhZDkyMDJhNzg2Y2IyMTU1ZDZkNzE0MTBjNzC9QwRuQ5AvzuC0CKrOUkyeaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZmE3MDQ2YzY1MTY1OGQyODllNGUxMDE0NzI1NGM1OTdjNjlmMDAwN2FhMzdmZWRhYTQ2MDA4M2U3MWZlOGVjNS5qcGd8fHx8fHw0Nzl4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

He's relisted the first ad, so lets see what happens there

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Please forgive me if this is posted on the wrong forum.I'm no expert on watches myself but have my eye on a secondhand Rolex two-tone black submariner. The prices new are just not worth it. A friend's brother in law bought a reasonably priced one about 5 years ago for I think about £4,000 or thereabouts in Picadilly / Mayfair, London.

I visit London quite regularly and thought I might get a better deal there than in Ireland. My fear is being fooled into buying a fake as I could not, and apparently neither can some dealers identify good fakes.

I assume if I buy off a reputable second hand dealer,in business a long time, in London or somewhere else I have a good chance of getting my money back if it later transpires it's a fake, assuming still in business. Could you recommend any reputable dealers by PM? If the dealer is affiliated to a trade organisation does this offer added security.Thanks for any Information from the experts on this forum which is appreciated as I know nothing about watches and own a relatively cheap but attractive black Seiko Sportura chronograph.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The prices new are just not worth it. A friend's brother in law bought a reasonably priced one about 5 years ago for I think about £4,000 or thereabouts in Picadilly / Mayfair, London.
    The problem you'll have is five years ago the current trend or Rolex mania wasn't so trendy or manic and prices weren't nearly so high for secondhand examples. I had a quick look on chrono24.com an online market for watches and under the 6000 dollars mark the only thing they have on offer are a few dials and a bracelet on its own for nearly 4000. I'd be gobsmacked if you could source any genuine Submariner for around 4000 sterling these days. More like double that as an entry point.

My personal take would fall back on the old advice; buy when everyone else is selling, sell when everyone else is buying. You're entering a very inflated market at the moment.
    I assume if I buy off a reputable second hand dealer,in business a long time, in London or somewhere else I have a good chance of getting my money back if it later transpires it's a fake, assuming still in business.
    Basically yes. Buying from an established long standing dealer with give you far more comeback should there be anything amiss with the watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If an experienced watch dealer can’t identify a fake I’d be very surprised

An experienced dealer can spot 99% of fakes going, especially if they take the caseback off, its usually game over looking at the movement. Super clones are very rare really.

If an experienced dealer takes in a 2nd hand fake rolex and doesn't notice it's a rep, he needs to close his shop and move to another business. Assume looking at it with a loupe to see any scratches or just for an inspection would throw up the differences.
    Also, gold isn't going to be used in a rep, so a scales should tell you if it's real or not. Decent rep that's full SS are identical weight, two tone aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Wibbs wrote: »
    The problem you'll have is five years ago the current trend or Rolex mania wasn't so trendy or manic and prices weren't nearly so high for secondhand examples. I had a quick look on chrono24.com an online market for watches and under the 6000 dollars mark the only thing they have on offer are a few dials and a bracelet on its own for nearly 4000. I'd be gobsmacked if you could source any genuine Submariner for around 4000 sterling these days. More like double that as an entry point.

My personal take would fall back on the old advice; buy when everyone else is selling, sell when everyone else is buying. You're entering a very inflated market at the moment.

Basically yes. Buying from an established long standing dealer with give you far more comeback should there be anything amiss with the watch.

Thanks for the reply. I was shocked when I went into dealers in London over a year ago to try a Rolex submariner on to be told there's a waiting list. My reply was exactly what you said that I'd be back when there is a recession, but I think I recall someone else saying on boards even a recession won't affect Rolex. It's bound to increase supply in second hand market.

I visited a few secondhand dealers in London. I visited one in the Burlington Arcade near Regent Street. There are dealers on I think New Bond Street also. I assume Chrono 24 is also reputable, but I would much prefer to see the item in person to identify condition.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I was shocked when I went into dealers in London over a year ago to try a Rolex submariner on to be told there's a waiting list. My reply was exactly what you said that I'd be back when there is a recession, but I think I recall someone else saying on boards even a recession won't affect Rolex. It's bound to increase supply in second hand market.

I visited a few secondhand dealers in London. I visited one in the Burlington Arcade near Regent Street. There are dealers on I think New Bond Street also.

Rolex now sells above RRP, if you want one there is no shortage, loads in dealers who are not main dealers but you will pay 2-4k more for the watch. If you want the cheapest possible Rolex of the sports models, you have to fall on the authorised dealers mercy. That's just the way it is and has been for some time.

Will it change...I dont know. Been predicting a "bubble burst" for years but yet to come to pass. A lot of collectors are really cheesed off with the whole thing, and its not unreasonable to wonder why you cannot spend your own money on the watch you want. But it doesn't work like that.

Three options.
    1. Wait for a allocation from a AD.
    2. Buy grey and pay extra.
    3. Move onto other brands that are available but suffer depreciation.

The Rolex effect is beginning to trickle up and down to other brands (the Rolex effect is actually the stainless Patek effect). Sports AP is over retail, Omega is going up and up in RRP, Patek is gone to the moon. None of it makes sense.

546235.png

Going to be interesting to see when the bubble does burst. Seems a lot of people buy them, not because they love them (obviously lots do) but it's because they hold their value. Take that away and it's going to be a big bubble bursting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Rolex effect is beginning to trickle up and down to other brands (the Rolex effect is actually the stainless Patek effect). Sports AP is over retail, Omega is going up and up in RRP, Patek is gone to the moon. None of it makes sense.
    It kinda does F. What was once a niche hobby, or purchase(and usually a one off one when buying new) has grown exponentially over the last ten years, particularly in the last five, because of wider interest driven by the internet and fashion, egged on by Swiss brands rising prices and throttling supply. Take this very forum started waaaay back in 09. You have to go through five or six pages before you get a mention of Rolex. On that first Rolex thread about buying one you have this post:
    Feyy wrote: »
    You should join up with www.rolexforums.com

There is a buy/sell section where very respected members of the forum sell watches for great prices with lots of availability.

Its a great forum, all the best :)

It might be down as its having problems in the last week with server and some unknown DDOS attack.

Emphasis mine. If you searched other forums like Watchuseek, or TZUK from that time and before and for quite a while after you'd read similar about the market then. No forum, sub, editorial or dealer today would say great prices and lots of availability for Rolex, or some others for that matter.

Note too the very first two posts in that thread:
    colrow wrote: »
    I'm sort of interested in buying a Rolex, there's some sites where you can buy a discounted one, but Rolex only support watches bought though an official retailers, has anyone any good info re buying from the web, or is it worth only buying from a retailer.
    Blackpitts wrote: »
    i've bought my GMT II on the web but on a very reliable forum and with plenty of positive feedback about the seller.
    I would never buy it on the first website google is going to show in the list, there are very good places like timezone or watchuseek where you can get a bargain. If you buy a second hand Rolex in mint condition and with box and paper you will get the same support that you would get if you buy from a retailer (if the warranty is still valid)

Emphasis mine.

Kinda puts paid to the notion all too commonly disseminated and believed today that used steel Rolex always kept their values and usually went up in value. EG the Northern Ireland dealer and Youtube "watch expert" who claims on his website and elsewhere that steel Rolexes have never lost value since the 1970's, yet a decade ago... Of course his claim is a blatant bloody nonsense, but people can have short memories, or conflate and extend a current trend to a longer one, especially in a bubble and especially if they've got both feet in the same bubble and need it to grow. Talk of a Rolex bubble itself is only five years old.

For me the only question is how long this current state will or can last. Covid helped as those still working/financially secure were restricted from spending on other things because of lockdowns and general restrictions. The holiday to Bali was kinda out. :D When we're out the other side of covid will have an effect depending on how much the final bill is going to be. Because it's based on fashion and perceptions of rarity and "value", fashions and perceptions change and can often do so radically and quickly. The slightest run or sell offs on one model will be the trend to watch for, as that tends to be contagious. The top range stuff will always fare better, just like in cars. The Ferrari 250 GTO market cares not a jot for the economy or the wider car market, while "everyday classics" can take a bath.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

1. The new post status.

Soon, it will all be over soon....
    In case you're wondering, I removed the picture of the Whatsapp chat, as it had a phone number in it :pac:

Advertisement