Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

oknepop wrote: »
    Another Feiko. Don't get the rationale behind making fake watches of low value brands/models.

+1

Got caught myself, got all my money back, but going forward I can't be bothered doing due diligence on low value watches, so that's Seiko (probably my favourite or second favourite make) out of the window unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Got caught myself, got all my money back, but going forward I can't be bothered doing due diligence on low value watches, so that's Seiko (probably my favourite or second favourite make) out of the window unfortunately

Was it a turtle by any chance? I remember seeing a few pop up around the same time on adverts and donedeal, last year maybe. Think there was an influx of PADI copies from aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

https://www.adverts.ie/22912111

Spidy senses

Always a back story

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, concerning alright. It looks scarily good in the pics. Probably not so much close up, but the accuracy of fakes is more and more worrying. EDIT I see its been withdrawn.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, concerning alright. It looks scarily good in the pics. Probably not so much close up, but the accuracy of fakes is more and more worrying. EDIT I see its been withdrawn.

It might be real. Or else be using real pics.

He will relish now as a clean add again I assume.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The pics looks spot on to me

The story was super sus.....and that one of those where there will be no solid proof, but you would want balls of steel to buy it.

Story went from here is a lovely 41mm datejust to....actually you are right, it’s 36mm, and I don’t own it, and the watch is abroad on Moldova....over a single message.

Might be genuine. But not worth the risk of it having been stolen more than it being fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,794 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think you guys have blown this up out of all proportions. Looks to me like a genuine watch and genuine story, but obviously do not buy until you have it verified by an AD / reputable dealer.

It seems a good few sellers on adverts source their watches outside of Ireland. Which makes sense, I guess not much more than a few Rolex watches were sold in Ireland each year back in 1988 when only corrupt politicians could afford them when Ireland was a third world country poorer than Zimbabwe :p

Says the only lad here that’s been caught with a fake of any sort in recent times :-) (that we know of).

Is a reputable dealer going to tell if it stolen? Nope.

Do u you think Thomas would you your money back in two years time when you take it in for a service and it turns out it was stolen. “Dealer”.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Fitz II wrote: »
    The story was super sus.....and that one of those where there will be no solid proof, but you would want balls of steel to buy it.

As some one commented: there is always a story! Bloody plebs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    I think you guys have blown this up out of all proportions.
    Maybe U, but with fakes being so "good" these days to the point where even guys into fakes have difficulty spotting them and lots of these fakes around and the potential financial losses involved, I can well understand the paranoia.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Maybe U, but with fakes being so "good" these days to the point where even guys into fakes have difficulty spotting them and lots of these fakes around and the potential financial losses involved, I can well understand the paranoia.

If you can't buy it from the AD leave it there.

Well lets look at the watch.

1.) Not the sellers watch
    2.) Watch not in his possession
    3) Watch in a jurisdiction that the more cynical among us would class of suspect.
    4) Guy doesnt know about the watch.
    5) Guy delists its on the slightest questioning.
    6) Reverse image search throws the watch up here https://999.md/ro/69718867 listed 3 times along with apple watches. Price changes from 10k to 7500euro over a few months. Many listing. That site lists a number of fakes for sale, mostly fakes infact. The donedeal of Muldova

None are a silver bullet, but I would be very very suspicious, and I think with some cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You'd have to be seriously careful about buying a rolex privately. For a scammer it's as good a return as robbing a post office but far less consequences if caught and much harder to get caught. There used to be lots of fake motorcycle and car ads around, I reckon fake watches posing as real will be the next big thing on the ad websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Well lets look at the watch.

1.) Not the sellers watch
    2.) Watch not in his possession
    3) Watch in a jurisdiction that the more cynical among us would class of suspect.
    4) Guy doesnt know about the watch.
    5) Guy delists its on the slightest questioning.
    6) Reverse image search throws the watch up here https://999.md/ro/69718867 listed 3 times along with apple watches. Price changes from 10k to 7500euro over a few months. Many listing. That site lists a number of fakes for sale, mostly fakes infact. The donedeal of Muldova

None are a silver bullet, but I would be very very suspicious, and I think with some cause.

Someone said to me "buy the seller" doesn't always work when there are so many good fakes around that the seller could be fooled - but a fishy story (and not just salmon straps) can be indicative too...

Like on my Seamaster ad - someone rightly asked if having a "wrong" card (whoever filled out the card put in the reference number that was off by one digit - relating to the size of the watch) meant it wasn't a full set - fair question and hopefully my answer shows that I know about watches and care enough to correct mistaken information made by whoever filled out that card.

I'd like to think a good seller would use genuine questions as a chance to demonstrate how trustworthy they can be/pitch for a sale/get a free bump etc.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Someone said to me "buy the seller" doesn't always work when there are so many good fakes around that the seller could be fooled - but a fishy story (and not just salmon straps) can be indicative too...

Like on my Seamaster ad - someone rightly asked if having a "wrong" card (whoever filled out the card put in the reference number that was off by one digit - relating to the size of the watch) meant it wasn't a full set - fair question and hopefully my answer shows that I know about watches and care enough to correct mistaken information made by whoever filled out that card.

I'd like to think a good seller would use genuine questions as a chance to demonstrate how trustworthy they can be/pitch for a sale/get a free bump etc.

That whole buy the seller line was put out there by bluffer used watch sales men.

You buy the watch. In an AD preferably.

2shea wrote: »
    That whole buy the seller line was put out there by bluffer used watch sales men.
    Not really, or maybe in latter years as more dealers come along? It's always been pretty good advice 2Shea and the first I heard of it on the interwebs was on forums and bulletin boards way back, though it was always considered sage advice before the web was born. My own grandfather gave me similar advice when I was a kid and the second bit of his advice was if you're buying any item that wears out/needs servicing talk to a man who services them and he'll tell you what brands/models to avoid. That one has served me well from vacuum cleaners to cars. :D
    You buy the watch. In an AD preferably.
    With a Rolex for sure, ditto for Patek as chain of ownership and authenticity are paramount and a lack of either means a hit selling on, even when genuine. On the other hand if I was in the market for a Rolex there are plenty of guys in here if they were selling one I'd have zero concerns buying from Thirdfox, Unkel, Irishplayer, Fitz, Banie 893, Cyclintourist and so on. Actually off the top of my head I honestly can't think of anyone in here I would have concerns with on that score. Well... maybe me. :D

Not really, or maybe in latter years as more dealers come along? It's always been pretty good advice 2Shea and the first I heard of it on the interwebs was on forums and bulletin boards way back, though it was always considered sage advice before the web was born. My own grandfather gave me similar advice when I was a kid and the second bit of his advice was if you're buying any item that wears out/needs servicing talk to a man who services them and he'll tell you what brands/models to avoid. That one has served me well from vacuum cleaners to cars. :D

With a Rolex for sure, ditto for Patek as chain of ownership and authenticity are paramount and a lack of either means a hit selling on, even when genuine. On the other hand if I was in the market for a Rolex there are plenty of guys in here if they were selling one I'd have zero concerns buying from Thirdfox, Unkel, Irishplayer, Fitz, Banie 893, Cyclintourist and so on. Actually off the top of my head I honestly can't think of anyone in here I would have concerns with on that score. Well... maybe me. :D

I could be conned as simple as the next man. You get into a desire to believe when the right watch at the right prices pops up and your due diligence goes out the window. Mostly I trust people where I have a comeback, I know where they live or work. I wouldnt sell a watch to anyone, bringing them to my home, or meeting them, they knowing I have an expensive watch with me is a dangerious game. I like the adverts system of feedback, you can really get a beed on a seller from the feedback, previous items etc and a buyer too. I have rarely been wrong about a messer, and usually some gentle antignoism is enough for them to break cover as a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

http://www.adverts.ie/22796864

Something stinks here....

He seems to have a Dawsons jewellers authenticity report. I'm sure that could be followed up?

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/22796864

Something stinks here....

What’s the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The fit of the end links is poor.

Apart from that, I can't see anything amiss.

Whereas this...
    ODAxZWViZjMzOGIzNTFlZTlmY2Q1YjhiZjE0M2U2NTVfbGqc-8wKJoJzENoY5SEeaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vOGM5MzEyNDQ1MzA0YWJkNWI2NmFiZDdlMDk3MGYyZWFjZDdiZmU4MTYwYzYwYWIwM2E4YTM4ZTIwZWFhYzhkNS5qcGd8fHx8fHwxMzh4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Looks like the watch was recently used to clean a toilet

The ad states it was bought in Dawsons in Oct but only shows an authenticity cert from Dawsons. No warranty cards or papers and why need a valuation cert on a watch with a receipt. The clothing of the owner doesn't fit the watch and finally the responses to offers just don't seem to fit a typical rolex seller.

Me personally I buy the seller not the watch and this just doesn't feel right to me.

I wasn't suggesting a fake, more questioning the seller.

I am suggesting this is fake on the other hand...

http://www.adverts.ie/22927185

sparrowcar wrote: »
    The clothing of the owner doesn't fit the watch and finally the responses to offers just don't seem to fit a typical rolex seller.

:eek: Thats like something I would say :D Hey I have a few Rolex and mostly I dress in my work clothes or tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie, usually with random paint stains, or stains of a dubious origin.

The Dawson valuation is the same as ones I got off them before. Same paper and the way they fold and format it.

The guy doesnt have much feedback but everyone started without much feedback. The tale of a fellow selling a diamond dial 36mm datejust rings true with me. My spidey sense is not tingling but at the same time I would want to meet in Dawson (have done that before they are quite accommodating) to verify.

:eek: Thats like something I would say :D Hey I have a few Rolex and mostly I dress in my work clothes or tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie, usually with random paint stains, or stains of a dubious origin.

The Dawson valuation is the same as ones I got off them before. Same paper and the way they fold and format it.

The guy doesnt have much feedback but everyone started without much feedback. The tale of a fellow selling a diamond dial 36mm datejust rings true with me. My spidey sense is not tingling but at the same time I would want to meet in Dawson (have done that before they are quite accommodating) to verify.

I thought of you as I wrote it :)

I could be completely wrong but I just wouldn't with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Judging by recent reports on RTE news of CAB raids I thought most Rolex owners wore tracksuits :confused:

It's not even a tracksuit, it's a particular type of lagging jacket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You should see my WFH attire - while not PJs it's certainly not fit for the normal office wear (Arthur Cox did stop the suit requirement for men a few years ago) - hoodie and big fluffy slippers to keep warm :D

Would want to get to know a seller who has little other feedback a bit better before spending thousands with them though.

Advertisement