Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Rolex

Options
  • 08-09-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

I'm sort of interested in buying a Rolex, there's some sites where you can buy a discounted one, but Rolex only support watches bought though an official retailers, has anyone any good info re buying from the web, or is it worth only buying from a retailer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

colrow wrote: »
    I'm sort of interested in buying a Rolex, there's some sites where you can buy a discounted one, but Rolex only support watches bought though an official retailers, has anyone any good info re buying from the web, or is it worth only buying from a retailer.

i've bought my GMT II on the web but on a very reliable forum and with plenty of positive feedback about the seller.
    I would never buy it on the first website google is going to show in the list, there are very good places like timezone or watchuseek where you can get a bargain. If you buy a second hand Rolex in mint condition and with box and paper you will get the same support that you would get if you buy from a retailer (if the warranty is still valid)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Thanks Blackpitts.

It seems a minefield out there, I suppose I really ought to go the official route, and try to see if I can get a discount.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

I went through the process of buying a Breitling on the web a couple of years ago from one of these 'grey market dealers' in the UK.

I had to pay a certain amount of the funds upfront, can't remember how much at the time but it was a couple of grand anyway.

This started the biggest rigmarole I've ever been through....
    They wouldn't return my mails, serveral times they said they had the watch only for it to turn out to be the wrong one at the last minute.

This went on for weeks until I gave up & said I wanted my money back.

I got my refund but because I had paid in GBP and the exchange rates were different at the time of purchase and refund, my refund was down around 70 Euro on what I had paid. From that point on they just ignored anything I sent them.

It was a horrible experience & I ended up blowing the money for the watch on something else.
    I did buy one at a later date here in Dublin though.

Anyway, if I was looking for a decent Rolex at a good price now I would either but a nice used one in the Powerscourt centre in Dublin or buy one abroad/duty free.
    I've seen lovely submariners for around the 4k mark in Powerscourt.
    Seemingly Saudi Arabia is a fantastic place to buy luxury watches at good prices.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I agree with the above poster. Check out the 1st floor of the Powerscourt Centre. 2 jewellers there with a good selection of used Rollies. Also check out Dawson Jewellers.
    As another poster mentioned, have a look on the Sales Corner on tz-uk.com watchuseek.com and timezone.com and remember: buy the seller, not the watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bogmanfan wrote: »
    buy the seller, not the watch.
    Very important point.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

bogmanfan wrote: »
    have a look on the Sales Corner on tz-uk.com watchuseek.com and timezone.com and remember: buy the seller, not the watch.

tz-uk.com doesn't allow new accounts for whatever reason so unless you have an account no point in looking really as there is rarely other contact info posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

MooseJam wrote: »
    tz-uk.com doesn't allow new accounts for whatever reason so unless you have an account no point in looking really as there is rarely other contact info posted.

I think they temporarily suspend new accounts every so often. I signed up a few months ago with no problem. Worth checking out, as most of the members are UK based, so shipping is cheaper and with a cheap Ryanair flight, you can even do a face-to-face transaction for peace of mind.

Has anybody heard of watchfinder, are they any good, reliable, trustworthy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

colrow wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of watchfinder, are they any good, reliable, trustworthy ?

You should join up with www.rolexforums.com

There is a buy/sell section where very respected members of the forum sell watches for great prices with lots of availability.

Its a great forum, all the best :)

It might be down as its having problems in the last week with server and some unknown DDOS attack.

Got one from Blowers

• Advertisement
Advertisement