Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Fake watch busters

Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭ OmegaGene

Thought this might be a good idea to stop anyone getting stung by one of those nasty replicas out there.
    Anyone spots a fake or has doubts over a watch can post here for advice, similar threads are going on watch forums and it could be handy to have one here for adverts, done deal and eBay

Right I will get the ball rolling with this one

http://www.adverts.ie/15021446

I can see a few flaws in this one

Comments

• Report the ads to Adverts if you believe the items are not genuine. It's better than drawing attention to them like this

• dudara wrote: »
    Report the ads to Adverts if you believe the items are not genuine. It's better than drawing attention to them like this

Done that already and no joy
    Takes more than one report maybe

• This is a great idea. I'm not too familiar with watches to pick out a good fake. The first indicator is the price and seller feedback but looking at the watch and knowing for sure that it's a fake is beyond me at this stage.

• oxocube wrote: »
    This is a great idea. I'm not too familiar with watches to pick out a good fake. The first indicator is the price and seller feedback but looking at the watch and knowing for sure that it's a fake is beyond me at this stage.

The TAG was a grand recently

• Advertisement

• The Tag says replica in the description, or is that a recent edit?

• Lorddrakul wrote: »
    The Tag says replica in the description, or is that a recent edit?

That’s a new thing added to the description, it wasn’t there last night
    Someone made an offer of €1000 two weeks ago and that’s the price it was first listed at

• They don't always remove the fakes from adverts. One of my pet hates are the fakes coming out of India. Repainted dials with any manufacturers branding on them, they tend to dump a generic Chinese movement in them.

Butchered Seiko's from India also with repainted dials, reprinted caseback. These are cobbled together watches with fake Seiko dials and parts of different movements.

Fakes or replicas don't have to be from the big Swiss brands.

Buyer beware

• HDMI wrote: »
    They don't always remove the fakes from adverts. One of my pet hates are the fakes coming out of India. Repainted dials with any manufacturers branding on them, they tend to dump a generic Chinese movement in them.

Butchered Seiko's from India also with repainted dials, reprinted caseback. These are cobbled together watches with fake Seiko dials and parts of different movements.

Fakes or replicas don't have to be from the big Swiss brands.

Buyer beware

I see a lot of "vintage" Omega's on Chrono24 from India and I wondered how they could have some many of them available at one time. I guess this explains it

• Advertisement

• there is a lot of rubbish on adverts i always report it when i see it, same people relist and relist

• Cyrus wrote: »
    there is a lot of rubbish on adverts i always report it when i see it, same people relist and relist

It’s not as bad as dung deal
    If only they removed the fakes as quick as they remove ticket scalpers

• OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s not as bad as dung deal
    Aye. To be fair I've found Adverts to be pretty good at removing fakes, so when I see one I report it and 9 times outa 10 it gets nuked.

Few enough were innocent in the past, few enough are innocent in the present, we just don’t know why yet.

• Morning all! All the ones listed in this thread are now gone!

I have a nuke button for the W&T section of adverts.. To be fair I generally try and check once or twice a day for replicas but the Tag as an example would have slipped through the net as it was advertised originally at a price in line with a second hand Aquaracer, the seller had good feedback and the pictures didn't look like the typical junk replicas you can see from time to time.

The others I may have missed. There is another mod that looks after reports also and between us I think we do a decent job of keeping the tat of adverts for the most part.
    If anyone spots anything they can always drop me a PM on here.. between here and adverts I'll generally pick it up fairly quickly!

• http://www.adverts.ie/15145252

This came back quickly lol
    I have reported it a while back

Maybe adverts should have an insta ban for 48 hours if you relist something that’s beeen quarantined

• I’m on the go at the moment and can’t do it from the mobile but will look after it later thanks for the head up.

• Over on watchuseek there is an omega sub forum. And in there is a fake buster sub forum where people can get advice on an omega piece they are looking at.
    It is a real education looking at wine of the watches in there. Many look the real deal but those experts are on top of their game.
    That said a few recent fakes are very hard to spot. The fakers are getting better.
    There is also a vintage watch sub forum on wus and in there is a long running thread about bad redials. It's great entertainment looking at some of the bad efforts. Many from India.

• That said a few recent fakes are very hard to spot. The fakers are getting better.

No doubt because the fake makers read the fake-spotting tips given by experts on watch forums!

• http://www.adverts.ie/15150384

Photo 10/10 is a nasty shade of green

http://www.adverts.ie/15150384

Photo 10/10 is a nasty shade of green

Reported that one earlier! Mods are fairly good.

Only thing that annoys me is when the same seller posts the same ladd multiple times and seems to get away with it. Not sure what the rules are for giving a ban.

Also annoying if you report it and it's still there a day later and the system won't allow you re report.

I also lol hard when a Rolex or something is posted for 500 ish with fake papers and you get a stream of simpletons asking;

"Is it real"
    "Offer 400 if you meet in Dawson's"

• Advertisement

• 893bet wrote: »
    Reported that one earlier! Mods are fairly good.

Only thing that annoys me is when the same seller posts the same ladd multiple times and seems to get away with it. Not sure what the rules are for giving a ban.

Also annoying if you report it and it's still there a day later and the system won't allow you re report.

I also lol hard when a Rolex or something is posted for 500 ish with fake papers and you get a stream of simpletons asking;

"Is it real"

Should be a 48 hour ban for relisting the same tat once it’s been removed
    I’m amazed people want to buy them tbh

• And-Its-Gone..jpg

• 893bet wrote: »

"Is it real"

Don't you think those "simpletons" are trying to call out the fake? I asked whether there were papers with a dirt cheap Hublot recently and the user promptly took down the ad (at least I think that's what happened).

Besides which there is always the hope that somebody really us selling a Rolex for 500. Well it's more likely than winning the Lotto...

• ELV1897 wrote: »
    Don't you think those "simpletons" are trying to call out the fake? I asked whether there were papers with a dirt cheap Hublot recently and the user promptly took down the ad (at least I think that's what happened).

Besides which there is always the hope that somebody really us selling a Rolex for 500. Well it's more likely than winning the Lotto...

No some people really fall for anything
    There have been numerous watches up and they insist it’s real and left to them by a dead relative and even with a stupidly low price they still low ball and expect it to be genuine

http://www.adverts.ie/15145252

This came back quickly lol
    I have reported it a while back
    What's wrong with it?

• Hey guys. Interesting thread, but the best thing you can do is report the ad as fake and say WHY its a fake.
    It can be difficult to know just by looking so it does help if you explain why. Adverts does take them down as soon as possible.

• art wrote: »
    What's wrong with it?

It was fake

• Hey guys. Interesting thread, but the best thing you can do is report the ad as fake and say WHY its a fake.
    It can be difficult to know just by looking so it does help if you explain why. Adverts does take them down as soon as possible.

We are all aware of the procedure and while it’s good most of the time it’s not 100%
    it’s good to have a laugh at all the fakes people think or say are real

• Advertisement

It was fake

(I think he was asking how do you know... just a hunch)

Advertisement