Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

DeWanderer wrote: »
    Yes, it really would make things that much easier if it's available in 1mg tablet form (I'd personally be breaking it in half). And it'd have to work out at similar price per gram of active ingredient (although I would pay slightly more for the convenience). I'm aware that the propecia brand 1mg is mad money.

I agree getting blood work done before starting it is best. I don't know how easy or complicated it is to arrange it here.

That's my thinking also, I would be cutting it in quarters.
    I haven't discussed it with my GP yet as I'm waiting until I can be seen in person, but I will be asking for a hormone blood test when I do get the chance to make an appointment. I know there are certain online clinics where you can get a kit sent out and return said kit to be specially tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Very tempted to get in fin, has any one in this thread actually suffered from side of effect on the drug ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

Very tempted to get in fin, has any one in this thread actually suffered from side of effect on the drug ?

I suffered from definite loss in libido. You might say 'in my head' but I never got 'morning wood' when I was on it and I regularly or always do now. Appetite for sex decreased massively.

The statistics say I am in the minority but that's what happened to me anyway.

Took it for about 12-18 months total. This was on about 1mg, though I was prescribed 1.25mg.

Just a question lads.

I am not looking for a Hair Transplant yet, probably nor for a few years at least.

However, is it worth booking a consultation with Dr. Nel in regards to the quality of my hair at the moment and treatments that I can start taking. (I'm aware of Min, Fin, Dus, Derma rolling, ect.), and will they see you if you're not looking for a transplant for a number of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Kamu wrote: »
    Just a question lads.

I am not looking for a Hair Transplant yet, probably nor for a few years at least.

However, is it worth booking a consultation with Dr. Nel in regards to the quality of my hair at the moment and treatments that I can start taking. (I'm aware of Min, Fin, Dus, Derma rolling, ect.), and will they see you if you're not looking for a transplant for a number of years?

His charge used to be EUR 200, but now I heard it is EUR 350. He will check out the quality etc., but there might be cheaper options if you do not need a transplant soon

• Advertisement

suave.4u wrote: »
    His charge used to be EUR 200, but now I heard it is EUR 350. He will check out the quality etc., but there might be cheaper options if you do not need a transplant soon

Thank you for the response, christ that is some jump in price.

Is there any other clinic recommended in regards to treatment and not transplant? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

Kamu wrote: »
    Thank you for the response, christ that is some jump in price.

Is there any other clinic recommended in regards to treatment and not transplant? Thank you.

I had a consultation with him recently and it cost 200

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

The liquid will be quick to dry if you have cut your hair short. I get a bit of irritation and residual flakes after it dries, but Nizoral shampoo helps. Look in to microneedling if you really want to get good results from minoxidil.

How long after applying rogaine foam, can I comb and put gel in hair?

Is there any type of microneedling you would recommend?

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a transplant op done but the more I read through the thread the more I think not to bother.

The OP results look great but when you consider the caveat that they had to get corrective surgery cause they grew boobs - as someone else said, I'd rather just break out the razor and buy a Mercedes instead.

Fin - this seems to be key to the entire issue and I can't help but think - why gamble with it? Risk / reward is too skewed in one direction for me so even if I was to go for a procedure I would definitely not be taking it, that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a transplant op done but the more I read through the thread the more I think not to bother.

The OP results look great but when you consider the caveat that they had to get corrective surgery cause they grew boobs - as someone else said, I'd rather just break out the razor and buy a Mercedes instead.

Fin - this seems to be key to the entire issue and I can't help but think - why gamble with it? Risk / reward is too skewed in one direction for me so even if I was to go for a procedure I would definitely not be taking it, that's just me.

I haven't took Fin and wont be either but yes I will need a second hit for density. Didnt think I would but most people will tell you that you do need 2 but I am happy I got it done. As Losing my hair was really getting me down.. The difference I feel now is better than any Mercedes. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I thought the same and believed the rubbish on YouTube at how much better I'd look bald. It was definitely not a good look for me and aged me horribly. Glad I got the hair transplant done, no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

0.20 of Fin a day is enough. I just got another prescription on webdoctor, took 2 minutes, click click click, and they post out prescription , can then get it at any pharmacy.

How do you break it down to 0.2mg, is it the 1mg or 5mg tablets you're able to get through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the caveat that they had to get corrective surgery cause they grew boobs

Haven't read the full thread so missed this, but how could getting a ht cause someone to require gyno surgery? Was it the fin or other medications?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

You will always find people online who suffer with it. But you won't, as much, hear about everyone who is OK with it.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't downplay the potential side effects, but neither would I big them up, as lots of people do.

Fin is used by millions of people, including countless celebrities. Chances of side effects are incredibly rare. I've been on it ten years with zero side effects.

It doesn't mean no-one has side effects, but they are beyond-rare.

And even in those who have side effects, even in that 1%, if you stop using, the symptoms disappear as well.

It's a personal decision, but I would say the negative side effects are very over-stated as if it's almost likely.

They are not.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058169502/1/#post116605689

The trials and tribulations of someone with a full head of hair 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

suave.4u wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058169502/1/#post116605689

The trials and tribulations of someone with a full head of hair 🀣

Has he tried finasteride? Supposed to work very good for styling the hair.

Has he tried finasteride? Supposed to work very good for styling the hair.

Don't think he needs Fin yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 browser 321

is it possible to go for a blade 1 all over after a HT? I am just worried how my head is gonna look after say 20 years if I alter the natural ways of balding

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

is it possible to go for a blade 1 all over after a HT? I am just worried how my head is gonna look after say 20 years if I alter the natural ways of balding

Lol - because the natural ways of balding are so appealing. If a blade 1 actually suits you now I’d just do that instead. Most people are here because they don’t actually believe a shaved head suits them.

Although I would say this, try shaving it now guys. It’s during the lockdown still and if you’re working from home no one will see you. You can throw on a cap when going outside and it will grow back soon. You honestly might be shocked at how much it suits you. Or you’ll absolutely hate it and realise you have to get a HT but either way it will be a win win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

Has anyone went the Grow Club route ? I know someone said in this thread that they booked them in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Update: Met with Dr. Nel today and had a very positive experience.

He told me I was somewhere between a Norwood 2 and 3, whereas I thought I was close to 4.

He really sold me on Proscar, as opposed to other finasteride brands and reassured me of the tiny likelihood of side effects.

He said he would definitely be able to put approx. 250 follicles in the cyst scar region, but could need 2 transplants

He also alerted me to the most important part of a hair follicle, the arrector pilli muscle, which I was never aware of before despite countless research into hair loss causes, so a very satisfactory and insightful day, all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

The arrector pilli muscle ?? How important is and what does it have to do with hair growth.

Btw I have tried Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Update:

He also alerted me to the most important part of a hair follicle, the arrector pilli muscle,

Any chance of you explaining the importance of this muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

20/20 wrote: »
    Any chance of you explaining the importance of this muscle.

Dr Nel. just said it was the main blood supply to the hair follicle and so is vital to the overall stability of the follicle. When it breaks off, detaches etc., then it's bye bye to that hair follicle it was connected to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Just want to alert others to my own experience with the Premier Hair Restoration in Rathmines.

Had an appointment about 2 months back. Great explanation of what's happening to my hair and very professional too.

Then came the treatment and price. They gave me 3 options 1) Laser Treatment and Herbal Supply costing €7000 2) Herbal Supply €135 p/m or 6 months for €500 or 3) Do nothing.

Asked about Finestrade and he said there's side affects to it so he wouldn't recommend. He said there's no side affects to his herbal treatment plan. He also advised that the herbal treatment will only prevent further hair loss but won't grow any hair back.

Ended up getting Finestrade from a doctor which has 1-2% chance of side affects. Fin costs me like €42 for 6 months and bought Regaine in a pharmacy too for €57 for 6 months. Only 1.5 months in and can already see a huge difference to my hair with no side affects.

My opinion: Premier Hair Restoration are a business that want to maximize profit so will advise you on the solution that fits their model.

Comparison for 1 year.
    Herbal Treatment: €1,620 (or €1,000 upfront)
    Finestrade: €84 (1-2% chance of side affects)

What exactly is this magical herbal treatment supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 browser 321

too many snake oils floating around.

Previously there was a thread about webdoctor.ie for Fin prescription.
    I usually order from https://www.oxfordonlinepharmacy.co.uk/
    They provide free prescription and deliver Fin. (this was before hard brexit though). prices too are reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Just want to alert others to my own experience with the Premier Hair Restoration in Rathmines.

Had an appointment about 2 months back. Great explanation of what's happening to my hair and very professional too.

Then came the treatment and price. They gave me 3 options 1) Laser Treatment and Herbal Supply costing €7000 2) Herbal Supply €135 p/m or 6 months for €500 or 3) Do nothing.

Asked about Finestrade and he said there's side affects to it so he wouldn't recommend. He said there's no side affects to his herbal treatment plan. He also advised that the herbal treatment will only prevent further hair loss but won't grow any hair back.

Ended up getting Finestrade from a doctor which has 1-2% chance of side affects. Fin costs me like €42 for 6 months and bought Regaine in a pharmacy too for €57 for 6 months. Only 1.5 months in and can already see a huge difference to my hair with no side affects.

My opinion: Premier Hair Restoration are a business that want to maximize profit so will advise you on the solution that fits their model.

Comparison for 1 year.
    Herbal Treatment: €1,620 (or €1,000 upfront)
    Finestrade: €84 (1-2% chance of side affects)

I cant stress enough how much that this herbal ****e they recommend is bull****, nothing and i mean nothing has been proven in large scale clinical trials other than finasteride to slow hairloss. Im shocked a clinic in Ireland is pedaling this. If its bothering you enough, go get the transplant with dr nel in Ireland or cuoto in Spain or feridini or biasanga in Belgium. All have good track records. Dr nel was very stress fee option for me. Every single drug has potential side effects, look up aspirin sides, you might never take it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Homelander wrote: »
    What exactly is this magical herbal treatment supposed to be?

He didn't say. Also, nothing on his website states that he's a doctor so not sure he has the authority to prescribe finestrade.

• Advertisement

Yeah, as the guy said above, the instant someone starts recommending laser treatments, laser combs, herbs, etc for hair loss vs transplants or finasteride, it's an instant zone out.

You might as well be promoting herbal drinks as Covid vaccines. There is zero science or studies behind these methods. And it's outrageous the costs attached as well. €135 a month!

For what amounts to absolutely nothing, probably a concoction of vitamins and nutrients that aid healthy hair, but do zilch in terms of actual MPB.

Advertisement