Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

spegnor87 wrote: »
    Is there any point in having a hair transplant without medication?

I was on the hair transplant form for years before I got my HT done 2 years ago. The generally consensus is if you go down the route of a HT you will need 2 done and they were right but after having one I have no problem getting a second one done when covid fcuks off.. I found it a total painless procedure bit of discomfort for few days after thats it. Rather that than spend money every week on Rogaine and the likes which I have done for years. That confidence and over all feeling having my hair back was priceless. I cant wait for a second one for density.

I went to a doctor in Poland. He has qualifications galore. He explained all about hair nutrition before the procedure and how lads dont do enough.. As women would use conditioner etc.. I got 2000 grafts which wasn't a lot but he's not keen on over harvest had absolutely no shock loss not that I noticed anyway.. And he's not for taking any medication hence one of the reasons I went to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

benny79 wrote: »
    I was on the hair transplant form for years before I got my HT done 2 years ago. The generally consensus is if you go down the route of a HT you will need 2 done and they were right but after having one I have no problem getting a second one done when covid fcuks off.. I found it a total painless procedure bit of discomfort for few days after thats it. Rather that than spend money every week on Rogaine and the likes which I have done for years. That confidence and over all feeling having my hair back was priceless. I cant wait for a second one for density.

I went to a doctor in Poland. He has qualifications galore. He explained all about hair nutrition before the procedure and how lads dont do enough.. As women would use conditioner etc.. I got 2000 grafts which wasn't a lot but he's not keen on over harvest had absolutely no shock loss not that I noticed anyway.. And he's not for taking any medication hence one of the reasons I went to him.

You didn't use conditioner??? :confused:

I always thought everyone used conditioner.

Monokne wrote: »
    You didn't use conditioner??? :confused:

I always thought everyone used conditioner.

Not I.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Hi everyone, fairly new to the hair loss prevention world. Just thought I'd ask for a bit of guidance.

I've been on finasteride for about 2 months now, haven't noticed much change to my hair, but it usually takes 4/5 months to see a difference?

I'm using nizoral as well, and hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to anything else I could be doing?

I've only recently come across derma-rolling and considering Rogain, but there's a lot to choose from I don't know where to start.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

Hi everyone, fairly new to the hair loss prevention world. Just thought I'd ask for a bit of guidance.

I've been on finasteride for about 2 months now, haven't noticed much change to my hair, but it usually takes 4/5 months to see a difference?

I'm using nizoral as well, and hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to anything else I could be doing?

I've only recently come across derma-rolling and considering Rogain, but there's a lot to choose from I don't know where to start.

Thanks a mil.

Going by studies that've been done, people tend to see benefits of Finasteride after a year. Most stop losing hair. Quite a decent number see some improvement. The following is well worth a read: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15529357

Since you've asked for more things you might be able to do:
    I've used a 2% ketonazole shampoo in the past on and off. I'm now commiting to using it twice a week. Nizoral is the brand name. You can get it over the counter and a little cheaper with prescription. But if you've to pay for a GP appointment, the just buy in pharmacy without script. This is mainly for people with itchy scalp, and particularly if they've also got spots or scales on the scalp. It targets the causative fungus. The fungus causes inflammation of the scalp and can lead to similar symptoms to
    Male pattern Baldness, or can exacerbate it, as it leads to weekending of the hairs at the root. Just something to consider if you've itchy scalp. As it's relatively common.

I started Finasteride a few days ago. I'm apprehensive, so I'm going with about 0.3mg a day. Might go up to 0.6g in a few weeks/months time.

For Finasteride: Going by the reported results of studies, I think it's reasonable to expect to retain the hair you have, as long as you keep taking it. Hair that's gone is unlikely to come back, for example, the hair line at the fringe. Weakened hairs, that have lost colour are likely to start thickening, and this may make thin areas look a lot better.

Edit: only just realised I missed that you are using Nizoral already!

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil.

That's the idea mostly. It functions to prevent hair loss so you shouldn't notice much change. It doesn't really grow back hair you've lost, if that's the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

Can I ask where is the best place to buy minoxidil 5% foam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

St. Pat wrote: »

There doesn't seem to be a good option for Ireland. I tried Biovea a few times and it was stopped at customs even though they said it was all above board - a quick search shows other Irish people having the same problem.

Latest order was from Medipharm based on a suggestion on Reddit, but it was - €55 for 3x 60ml bottles. While this works out at less than a tenner a month, its still about 3x what Americans pay for the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

Just in response to an earlier post by DeWanderer, Nizoral is available online from McCabe's Pharmacy at 16.50 euro a pop

Just in response to an earlier post by DeWanderer, Nizoral is available online from McCabe's Pharmacy at 16.50 euro a pop

I paid 14.51 for a 120ml bottle on prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 St. Pat

There doesn't seem to be a good option for Ireland. I tried Biovea a few times and it was stopped at customs even though they said it was all above board - a quick search shows other Irish people having the same problem.

Latest order was from Medipharm based on a suggestion on Reddit, but it was - €55 for 3x 60ml bottles. While this works out at less than a tenner a month, its still about 3x what Americans pay for the same product.

Thanks, medipharm does look like the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Thanks, medipharm does look like the best option.

€6 a bottle on amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=nizoral+anti-dandruff+shampoo&sprefix=nizoral&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_7

Anyone here using a Dermaroller? What do you rub into your scalp after you use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

We were talking about Minoxidil! As far as I know, it is only legally dispatched from Irish locations - Amazon purchases would suffer the same treatment as Biovea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

Pharmadirect.ie
    About €55 for 3 months,they're based in kerry and probably the best option in ireland.
    Also you can save yourself a bit of money by only applying it once a day rather than the instructed twice a day,same efficacy.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Pharmadirect.ie
    About €55 for 3 months,they're based in kerry and probably the best option in ireland.
    Also you can save yourself a bit of money by only applying it once a day rather than the instructed twice a day,same efficacy.

How do you know that once a day is sufficient?

How do you know that once a day is sufficient?

Lots available on this
    One of the main doctors who worked on the trials in 1984 and is now a top ht surgeon in Oz has a good vid on it.
    I think his name is Dr Knudsen.
    It has a Half-Life of 18 hrs.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Lots available on this
    One of the main doctors who worked on the trials in 1984 and is now a top ht surgeon in Oz has a good vid on it.
    I think his name is Dr Knudsen.
    It has a Half-Life of 18 hrs.

Thanks for that!

What was it like living there. Where do you live now, Ireland?

What did you do there. Did you learn Korean

Sorry only getting back to you now.
    I live in Ireland now.
    I did learn the language to a fairly high level,I sometimes still have dreams in Korean!
    I worked as an English teacher for 5 years (everybody was doing this and making lots of cash at it,it's a saturated market now and a lot different from what I understand) and then for an international sales company for 5 years.
    Its a great country,far from perfect and i always knew i wouldn't live there forever but a great place to spend your 20s!
    I wouldn't specifically go there for a HT.

spegnor87 wrote: »
    Had my UFUE today in MHR, pleased with the initial hairline they've given me and hopefully it all works out. Found the two operatives very professional and knowledgeable.

Best of luck with it.
    It'll be coming on well by the end of the summer,could coincide with being able to have pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

anyone ever used nioxin system 2? ive just started using it and was was wondering if anyone else has found it good or better to use regaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,704 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What do people make of Dr. Acar ???
    If I can't get it done in Madrid with Dr Couto then who is good??? Any list?

Dr Lupanzula??

I think I remember you saying it was just your temples, filling in the hairline needs doing? Simple enough job, Dr Nel over here or Dr Cinik in Istanbul would sort you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,704 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Anyone in Europe say spain, france, germany, belgium ect that is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TysonH

Well looking for some advice, im goin to get a hair transplant on the front part as I have receded on the sides quite a bit and want to fill them in, im not goin to shave the recipient area as I can cover it withe hair I have, the question is in the middle part of my head at the front has thinned a good bit aswell, so I wasn't to replenish that area to, can I get grafts implanted in there amoung the native hair without shaving that middle piece

Pretty sure that's impossible.

TBH you are probably better off shaving it anyway. It would look odd having the growing hair half hidden by a bad combover, then having hair of different lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Monokne wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's impossible.

TBH you are probably better off shaving it anyway. It would look odd having the growing hair half hidden by a bad combover, then having hair of different lengths.

Wouldn’t it be a case of getting 2 or 3 transplants over the next few years ?

What do people make of Dr. Acar ???
    If I can't get it done in Madrid with Dr Couto then who is good??? Any list?

Dr Lupanzula??

I know a lad who had a terrible ht with Acar,he had to go for a repair job.

Lupanzula is supposed to be very good,he trained under Bisanga I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

TysonH wrote: »
    Well looking for some advice, im goin to get a hair transplant on the front part as I have receded on the sides quite a bit and want to fill them in, im not goin to shave the recipient area as I can cover it withe hair I have, the question is in the middle part of my head at the front has thinned a good bit aswell, so I wasn't to replenish that area to, can I get grafts implanted in there amoung the native hair without shaving that middle piece

I only shaved the back and sides and left my hair on top long so was able to comb over recipient area, after 2 weeks you couldn't tell i had anything done If you have enough hair on top its doable, to this day nobody except my mother knows i had it done as i have always combed my hair forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

TysonH wrote: »
    You're probably self conscious but you need to own it & shave it.

Advertisement