Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Poor advice from any surgeon who doesn't recommend fin, you are 100% going to continue losing hair around the transplanted area and will look worse then before. Quarter a tablet every 3 days is enough an im on 2 years and no sides, previously a dermatologist had be on it daily for 3 years and had mild sides, watery semen, every 3 days no sides to report. constantly pharma companies working on solutions for hair loss and once that day comes i may decide to stop fin if a suitable topical that halts hair loss comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

I'd love to know what the OP's hair is like now. Looked fantastic with his last pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Poor advice from any surgeon who doesn't recommend fin, you are 100% going to continue losing hair around the transplanted area and will look worse then before. Quarter a tablet every 3 days is enough an im on 2 years and no sides, previously a dermatologist had be on it daily for 3 years and had mild sides, watery semen, every 3 days no sides to report. constantly pharma companies working on solutions for hair loss and once that day comes i may decide to stop fin if a suitable topical that halts hair loss comes out.

I've just started taking fin. My doctor recommended 1/4 of a tablet daily. How would you really know 1/4 tablet every 3 days is sufficient? Should I take 1/4 of a tablet daily for a few months to see if it is doing anything and then go back to 1/4 every 3 days? Did you get a hair transplant?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Help2

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I've just started taking fin. My doctor recommended 1/4 of a tablet daily. How would you really know 1/4 tablet every 3 days is sufficient? Should I take 1/4 of a tablet daily for a few months to see if it is doing anything and then go back to 1/4 every 3 days? Did you get a hair transplant?
    iebamm2580 wrote: »

Are you both talking about 1/4 of the 5mg tablet or the 1mg tablet? Important distinction to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

Any reason you don't want to take Fin? Just out of curiosity. I used to take it, I just shave my head now every week/2 weeks so don't really need it

Same reason I don't want to take rogaine. I want to be done with my hair after a ht. Plus I don't want to chance side effects on fin. Yes you will still lose your natural hair after a ht but 2 good ht opts should be enough and proper hair nutrition. Collagen is good for hair and skin and healthy as a supplement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Just thought I'd chip in my experience.

I went to Turkey and got a transplant with Cinik back in early 2019. He mainly did the hairline, I had about 4000 grafts but 800 of them were from the beard and they were put into the crown. So 3200 grafts were taken from the back and sides.

Looked fantastic for about 18 months but I didn't take fin. Hairline still looks great but from the mid scalp to to crown is now patchy and looks crap.

I'm now trying decide if I should get another HT done or just buzz cut it and keep it very short.

I never went on fin and to be honest I'm pissed at myself for not, as my hair looked great and I wouldn't if needed a second HT. Got too caught up in the horror stories. Might get on it now and see if makes a difference but it's probably too late

Out of interest, how old were you when you did the operation?

But Like I said you will always need 2 HT's as having one doesn't stop you going bald just replaces the hair you have lost. Fin would just slow down that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I was pretty much bald by the time I did mine so fingers crossed without fin I'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Good diary. he's on 2nd transplant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Just thought I'd chip in my experience.

I went to Turkey and got a transplant with Cinik back in early 2019. He mainly did the hairline, I had about 4000 grafts but 800 of them were from the beard and they were put into the crown. So 3200 grafts were taken from the back and sides.

Looked fantastic for about 18 months but I didn't take fin. Hairline still looks great but from the mid scalp to to crown is now patchy and looks crap.

I'm now trying decide if I should get another HT done or just buzz cut it and keep it very short.

I never went on fin and to be honest I'm pissed at myself for not, as my hair looked great and I wouldn't if needed a second HT. Got too caught up in the horror stories. Might get on it now and see if makes a difference but it's probably too late

10 months post transplant with Dr Cinik myself but went straight on the fin. It is looking amazing, super thick. Definitely think the fin and the post op bits he gives you to take help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Has anyone used/ got the link for the online doctor that can give prescriptions ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

This place in India gets great reviews

this looks ok, even if its a bit light

• Registered Users Posts: 14 browser 321

Has anyone used/ got the link for the online doctor that can give prescriptions ?

I haven't used it, but found another one:

https://www.smartscripts.today/hair-loss-male/?pharmacy=Inish

Ideally I would like one where you just fill in a form and obtain proscar and loniten

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I have MPB and am taking Finasteride daily for the past few weeks. Just wondering when should the effects of Finasteride kick in? Now each time I run my hands through my hair there are up to 10 hairs on my hands. If I wanted to I could easily pull out a clump of hair easily from the top of my head. Is this normal for MPB? It is almost like all my hairs are loose at the top of my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DaveClarke17

I haven't used it, but found another one:

https://www.smartscripts.today/hair-loss-male/?pharmacy=Inish

Ideally I would like one where you just fill in a form and obtain proscar and loniten

I used MyClinic https://www.myclinic.ie/home

Ordered finasteride, they sent a prescription to the pharmacy so i headed in there and collected my finasteride. Was a painless process.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

If you happen to have health insurance, you can do it through that, e.g., Laya have CareOnCall option in their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

zeebre12 wrote: »
    I have MPB and am taking Finasteride daily for the past few weeks. Just wondering when should the effects of Finasteride kick in? Now each time I run my hands through my hair there are up to 10 hairs on my hands. If I wanted to I could easily pull out a clump of hair easily from the top of my head. Is this normal for MPB? It is almost like all my hairs are loose at the top of my head?

It can take a few months to start seeing noticeable difference. The shredding at the start is normal - as far as I know it's just weaker hair falling out and will be replaced by stronger follicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Looking to get a HT next year in Turkey. What are the best clinics to go to? I see hair of Istanbul quite a bit on social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 hairtransplantturkey

Now Hair Time is a hair transplant center that carries out hair, beard, mustache and eyebrow transplant in a hospital environment with its expert doctors and profesional team under a doctor supervision with its years of experience.

Hair Transplant Turkey

As one of the most succesful hair transplant centers in Turkey, our prior concenr is health and safety of our patients in all of our operations. We achieve the most natural and successful results with our expert staff that have 12 years of experience in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Go to Dr Cinik. Great price, great service, very happy with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Just turned 24... hair has been receding since 19... looking at the norwood scale I'd say I'm a 3.

Tried out shaving my head during the first lockdown and it didn't suit me at all. Considering starting Finasteride/Minoxidil but concerned about the side effects. Also considering a transplant at some point in the next few years but that would be pointless if I don't take the meds, so wouldn't do that if I decide not to take them. Anyone have any advice/experience with these meds? Also anyone have any positive experiences with natural suppliments like Nourkrin/Viviscal/Procerin/Saw Palmetto etc. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

MPB starting in your teens is a tough one.

The only thing that'll work is finesteride and I'd get on that straight away,every day you wait is a day you'll be going balder and you'll never get it back.

It's not to be discounted but I think the sides are overblown a bit,there's a very small chance of it effecting you badly and if that does happen then just stop taking it.Overall I'd prefer not to be taking it but the benefits outweigh the risks.

In my own case I took it for 8 years,I had some small sides (watery semen, slight man boobs and occasional pain in nethe regions) I stopped taking it to try for kids and will.most likely go back on it in future.I will be using topical though.

Minoxidil is a good thing to use but it doesn't stop MPB which is what you need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Thanks HBC, yeah I think I'll take it and try it out anyway and see what it does for my hair and if I get any side effects... I can always stop as you said..

The exact same dose is given to people with different heights and weights (1mg), and some get side effects and some don't, I wonder if this would have anything to do with that... I've quite a small build and I'm not the tallest, so I might even get a pill splitter and take slightly less than the 1mg to air on the side of caution.

Would anyone know where I could get a prescription for this today and where is the best place to buy it (and minoxidil) ?

If this works, I reckon I'll go for a transplant maybe in a years time, although I'm not sure if there's a recommended minimum age for getting one...

Edit: Is it possible to get 1mg fin anywhere as opposed to the 5mg? without paying €420 for it for a 6 month supply.

Post edited by LillyIsland on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

I forgot to mention,I would start with 1mg 3 times a week,I believe it has pretty much the same effect as a 1mg per day and lessens the chances of sides.

Rogane(minoxidil) can be bought lots of places but https://pharmadirect.ie/regaine-extra-strength-for-men-and-women-3-month-supply-low-price/ is an Irish company with a good price and quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

You can get a prescription through webdoctor for €25 and then a one month supply of 1mg should be around €40, but lots of people take them in halves or quarters so you can stretch that out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Miky10

I heard Dr Nel is only in Ireland once a month that's why you have to wait so long for a consultation

Is there any where in Ireland you can get your donor area checked to see are you suitable for a HT before you travel to the likes of Turkey or that for a HT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 timmy_283

Hi Benny,

I seem to have read that Dr Andre Nel would be a good start for assessing donor area. That is where I am going to go.

I am currently talking with Fuecapilar and Dr Cinik. Has anyone been to Fuecapilar? I seem to hear good things but be interesting to see others thoughts. Hoping that Turkey stays on the red list today with GB as that means I will be able to get a spot soon, else il have to wait until April 2022. If I can't go with Fuecapilar soon then I will probably got to Cinik as the wait time is a lot less.

Advertisement