Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AC vs DC for charging without private parking

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

per kWh served, the energy requirements are the same. Distributing around a larger geographic area is likely to increase rather than decrease the cost.
    Again, I just do not understand why 110kWh of supply for an 5 2x11kW AC chargers, is magically cheaper than the same supply requirement for 2x50kW DC chargers.
    Can you provided a worked example?

From my own experience of projects where infrastructure is required, it's very common to allocate the infrastructure costs to a notional lifetime of the project rather than expect an immediate recovery on day zero.
    We were always focussed on the rate of return for the overall project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

liamog wrote: »
    per kWh served, the energy requirements are the same. Distributing around a larger geographic area is likely to increase rather than decrease the cost.
    Again, I just do not understand why 110kWh of supply for an 5 2x11kW AC chargers, is magically cheaper than the same supply requirement for 2x50kW DC chargers.
    Can you provided a worked example?

From my own experience of projects where infrastructure is required, it's very common to allocate the infrastructure costs to a notional lifetime of the project rather than expect an immediate recovery on day zero.
    We were always focussed on the rate of return for the overall project.

That would be the case if you had to build the underlying infrastructure but you are forgetting the infrastructure is already there.

If you place same load in one place you have to upgrade the Maximum Import Capacity (MIC) of the location, this can be expensive depending on the location (and can even influence the choice of location)

There's also two things you missed:

A. DC Charger will not output at it's maximum capacity all of the time it depends what the receiving vehicle will accept.

B. They are not used 24 hours, nobody really uses them at night time. Who is going to drive to a DC Charging Hub at 2 am and sit there for 45 minutes to charge when everything is closed.

But in any case were going off point,

Why would you force people to go to a location were they spend very little time parked rather than offering the service where the distribution system already exists and they spend most of their time parked anyway ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

redcup342 wrote: »
    Why would you force people to go to a location were they spend very little time parked rather than offering the service where the distribution system already exists and they spend most of their time parked anyway ?

Why would you force a person to park away from their home one night a week instead of charging at the supermarket whilst they are picking up their groceries and would be parked anyway?

It seems that only yourself believes that DC at supermarkets equals no AC anywhere.

Why would you force a person to park away from their home one night a week instead of charging at the supermarket whilst they are picking up their groceries and would be parked anyway?

It seems that only yourself believes that DC at supermarkets equals no AC anywhere.

As soon as Ireland has an extensive on street charging network and motorway rapid charging i'd be all for it.

But at the moment suggesting finances are spent to deploy rapid chargers that would only be used 50% of the time and requiring people to go to a different place than where they live with a risk that there isn't a charger avaiable doesn't make sense :)

Until then people will have range anxiety, it won't matter what size battery they have as they'll always wait until it's nearly empty to get the max charging rate out of a DC charger and then have a crappy experience if the chargers are not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭McGiver

I've addressed your point multiple times about why there are currently more examples of AC deployments than DC. I'm not sure why you keep ignoring it.
    No, you didn't.
    This has nothing to do with Irish deployments, 50kW DC is being rolled out in multiple places across Europe to address charging requirements in locations where people spend between 30 minutes and one hour. You asked for an example in a mature EV market, and I found you some.
    DC is being deployed across Europe almost exclusively on motorway routes, because that's what's critical and what's required. Unlike in the most developed EV markets (NO, SV, NL, AT) which already do have this in place, so they just deploy UFC/HPC DC instead.

Nowhere is DC being deployed in cities en masse, simply nowhere, not even in NL or NO. Whereas AC is being deployed all the time.

Why do you think IE will develop differently? DC hubs in cities will be a cherry on top at best. It's entirely predictable, because it has happened elsewhere. You'll see focus on motorway/petrol station DC/UFC and massive expansion of AC.

Look at goingelectric.de and see the breakdown of chargers DC vs AC in all markets - the numbers are quite clear.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll repeat it, because you appear to have missed the point
    liamog wrote:
    DC charging hubs did not make sense when cars had small batteries, as cars normalise at the 300km range, 50-75kWh batteries will become normal.

I further elaborated the point, when I equated a 22kW AC charger for the original Zoe with it's 22kWh battery, and pointed out that a 50kW DC charger is in fact exactly the same concept, merely mapped to the larger battery sizes.
    McGiver wrote: »
    DC is being deployed across Europe almost exclusively on motorway routes, because that's what's critical and what's required. Unlike in the most developed EV markets (NO, SV, NL, AT) which already do have this in place, so they just deploy UFC/HPC DC instead.

Nowhere is DC being deployed in cities en masse, simply nowhere, not even in NL or NO. Whereas AC is being deployed all the time.

Why do you think IE will develop differently? DC hubs in cities will be a cherry on top at best. It's entirely predictable, because it has happened elsewhere. You'll see focus on motorway/petrol station DC/UFC and massive expansion of AC.

I already provided a Norwegian example, here's an example from The Netherlands https://www.plugshare.com/location/220420.
    Not a perfect example, as it's at a fuel station rather than a shopping area like this one https://www.plugshare.com/location/116548

The only person who's pushing the narrative that this is an exclusively Irish solution is yourself, so again I ask you why do you believe Ireland should be an exception and only deploy AC chargers at non motorway sites?

Ok, I'll repeat it, because you appear to have missed the point

I further elaborated the point, when I equated a 22kW AC charger for the original Zoe with it's 22kWh battery, and pointed out that a 50kW DC charger is in fact exactly the same concept, merely mapped to the larger battery sizes.

I already provided a Norwegian example, here's an example from The Netherlands https://www.plugshare.com/location/220420.
    Not a perfect example, as it's at a fuel station rather than a shopping area like this one https://www.plugshare.com/location/116548

The only person who's pushing the narrative that this is an exclusively Irish solution is yourself, so again I ask you why do you believe Ireland should be an exception and only deploy AC chargers at non motorway sites?

That Fastned Charger is a link for the N200

It's an industrial estate.

Even if you did provide a good example the Netherlands and Norway already have an extensive on and off street charging network deployed (Mostly AC and not including home charging in Norway of course)

Also don't forget the Norwegians are loaded ;)

I'll ask you a question:

Small Dutch City- Bergen of Zoom, Population 67000

around 100 cars can be charged at the same time and the chargers are used 24x7 (with little to no maintence I might add)

Now we look at Galway, Population 80000

Explain to me how you would deploy a charging hub servicing 100 cars that operates 24x7 and doesn't require the driver to wait for their car to charge for the same money.

Explain to me how you would deploy a charging hub servicing 100 cars that operates 24x7 and doesn't require the driver to wait for their car to charge for the same money.

Why does the hub need to operate 24/7 and have the same up front cost. You've alluded to having project management experience. If I'm a charging operator, I should be looking at return on investment, not minimal investment costs.

100 AC chargers that charge at 11kW, is functionally equivalent to 20 DC chargers that charge at 50kW. Instead of each car needing 5 hours to onboard 50kWh, they can do so in 60 mins. This aligns with the average trip to a supermarket.

I seem to remember you can't leave your car at a supermarket charger because your wife regularly decides to spontaneously go clothes shopping whilst presumably physically restraining you from returning to your vehicle to move it.
    Most people will not have this problem, and will either be finished, or be able to quickly reposition their vehicle if their plans change.

The only people on this thread arguing for no AC at all, are the two using as a counter argument to there should be DC chargers at supermarket locations, why do you see it as a zero sum game?

Why does the hub need to operate 24/7 and have the same up front cost. You've alluded to having project management experience. If I'm a charging operator, I should be looking at return on investment, not minimal investment costs.

100 AC chargers that charge at 11kW, is functionally equivalent to 20 DC chargers that charge at 50kW. Instead of each car needing 5 hours to onboard 50kWh, they can do so in 60 mins. This aligns with the average trip to a supermarket.

I seem to remember you can't leave your car at a supermarket charger because your wife regularly decides to spontaneously go clothes shopping whilst presumably physically restraining you from returning to your vehicle to move it.
    Most people will not have this problem, and will either be finished, or be able to quickly reposition their vehicle if their plans change.

The only people on this thread arguing for no AC at all, are the two using as a counter argument to there should be DC chargers at supermarket locations, why do you see it as a zero sum game?

Well my missus doesn't have anything to do with it really ;)

But lets do the numbers shall we ?

Your Charging hub by your own admission would be used when people do other things (such as shopping) and the peak period would be after work (so probably between 18:00 and 22:00) i.e. queue.

So the rest of the time nobody has any reason to be there and you'll have a quiet period from 9am - 12pm and 2pm - 5pm with Lunchtime (but we'll leave that out as well)

Assuming all charging stations were being utilised at a full 50kW and cars lined up one after another (100% utilisation) I'll be generous and we'll say they can be used for 14 hours a day.

Now you can extend this 14 hour period if you like but then that would mean people are going there just to sit in the car and charge, since they cannot leave the car overnight.

DC Charging Hub
    50x20 = 1000kW * 14 (hours) = Potential 14000kWh

AC Charging Points distributed all over the area:
    100x11= 1100kW * 24 (hours) = Potential 26400 kWh

The AC Points can be used whenever anyone stops someplace they need to be and also be used to charge overnight if needs be.

Also the AC points need hardly any maintenence, the end user also brings their own cable to plug in so thats one less thing to go wrong.

Well here's how I worked it out in Excel.

60% utilisation for an AC11 charger, 30% utilisation for a DC50 charger
    €4,000 for the AC, €25,000 for the DC. Annual maintenance, 5% for AC, 10% for DC. Operating time 5 years.
    We install 91 2x11kW AC chargers, up front cost €364,000 (financed €411,418.66). Annual maintenance over 5 years €91,000. Total cost over 5 years €502,418.
    We install 40 1x50kW DC chargers, up front cost €1,000,000 (financed €1,130,271.05). Annual maintenance over 5 years €500,000. Total cost over 5 years, €1,630,271.
    The upfront costs are financed at 5%, maintenance is paid from operating income.

kWh dispensed over the 5 years equals (power * hours in day * days in year * years / utilisation factor)
    AC = 52,612,560 kWh.
    DC = 26,280,000 kWh.

Operating cost per kWh for each option, is (5 year cost / kWh dispensed)
    AC = 0.0095 c/kWh
    DC = 0.0620 c/kWh

In terms of ROI, there just isn't that much between the two. If you can charge your customer's an extra 8c/kWh, for DC chargers in a district, then you can make more money than by providing AC chargers.

I've sold about half the electricity for the investment in DC, but made the same ROI. Giving me scope to roll out a second site.

• Advertisement

€4,000 for the AC, €25,000 for the DC. Annual maintenance, 5% for AC, 10% for DC. Operating time 5 years.
    We install 91 2x11kW AC chargers, up front cost €364,000 (financed €411,418.66). Annual maintenance over 5 years €91,000. Total cost over 5 years €502,418.
    We install 40 1x50kW DC chargers, up front cost €1,000,000 (financed €1,130,271.05). Annual maintenance over 5 years €500,000. Total cost over 5 years, €1,630,271.
    The upfront costs are financed at 5%, maintenance is paid from operating income.

kWh dispensed over the 5 years equals (power * hours in day * days in year * years / utilisation factor)
    AC = 52,612,560 kWh.
    DC = 26,280,000 kWh.

AC = 0.0095 c/kWh
    DC = 0.0620 c/kWh

In terms of ROI, there just isn't that much between the two. If you can charge your customer's an extra 8c/kWh, for DC chargers in a district, then you can make more money than by providing AC chargers.

I've sold about half the electricity for the investment in DC, but made the same ROI. Giving me scope to roll out a second site.

So you favor having 40x50kW charging points that will only really be used during working hours.

vs 182 Charging points (91 Chargers) which are available 24x7 :pac:

You haven't answered my question:
    "Explain to me how you would deploy a charging hub servicing 100 cars that operates 24x7 and doesn't require the driver to wait for their car to charge for the same money."

If you can't answer that I'm out :pac:

You haven't answered my question:
    "Explain to me how you would deploy a charging hub servicing 100 cars that operates 24x7 and doesn't require the driver to wait for their car to charge for the same money."

You didn't answer my follow up question.
    liamog wrote:

I don't see why this is the objective of any charging network, the objective is to make money whilst providing charging services to customers.

AC = 52,612,560 kWh.
    DC = 26,280,000 kWh.

AC = 0.0095 c/kWh
    DC = 0.0620 c/kWh

The figures are quite sound. Would expect lower occupancy for DC, perhaps 20% and probably higher maintenance. And higher upfront costs.

You should start your own DC charging network then! Maybe you ask the EasyGo fella why it doesn't really work like that in reality. Something must be missing from the equation :cool:

The figures are quite sound. Would expect lower occupancy for DC, perhaps 20% and probably higher maintenance. And higher upfront costs.

You should start your own DC charging network then! Maybe you ask the EasyGo fella why it doesn't really work like that in reality. Something must be missing from the equation :cool:

It will come down to penetration rates, we don't have enough EVs on the road, at 30% occupancy the charger needs to sell 2,520 kWh per week. An average EV that does 18kWh/100km requires 58.8kWh per week, meaning we need 42.8 EVs to use the charger consistently. Stats from previous studies put DC charging at around 15%, though that was when battery sizes were smaller. If we estimate it at around 10%, then we need around 430 EVs in the immediate area to make the DC charger viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

we need around 430 EVs in the immediate area to make the DC charger viable.

Do you mean those 430 EV owners are charging 90% at home then?
    If so & hypothetically, if each had a 58.8kWh battery, each would charge publically, on a DC charger, just once every 10 weeks (5.88kWh weekly).

It's certainly not a get rich quick scheme for a private provider - I'm beginning to think we're lucky we have ECars :pac:.

Kramer wrote: »
    Do you mean those 430 EV owners are charging 90% at home then?
    If so & hypothetically, if each had a 58.8kWh battery, each would charge publically, on a DC charger, just once every 10 weeks (5.88kWh weekly).

It's certainly not a get rich quick scheme for a private provider - I'm beginning to think we're lucky we have ECars :pac:.

That's roughly how it averages out based on previous studies. 85% of charging happened at home or the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Has anyone done any research into how much the DC chargers cost to install?

All I could find was a paper from the US:
    https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_EV_Charging_Cost_20190813.pdf

They're estimating ~$28k for 50kW and $75k for 150kW

I'm trying to figure out the payback period for a DC charger and so far it's looking like this

Charger cost + installation: €25,000 (just guessing from that link above)
    Charging cost per kWh: €0.33/kWh
    Cost of electricity: €0.13/kWh (cheapest prices on bonkers are €0.14, I'm assuming the ESB can get power cheaper)
    Profit: €0.20/kWh

Payback sales required: 125,000kWh (€25,000 / €0.20/kwh)
    Payback period: 2500 hours (assuming 100% usage) = 104 days

There's several problems with my maths though

1. Chargers probably cost quite a bit more
    2. The cost of electricity probably varies a lot since those high power connections are charged by rate of usage
    3. Usage isn't even close to 100%, probably closer to 10%

Plugging in something more realistic

Charger cost + installation: €30,000
    Cost of electricity: €0.18/kWh
    Profit: €0.15/kWh

Payback sales required: 200,000kWh (€30,000 / €0.15/kwh)
    Payback period: 20000 hours (assuming 10% usage) = 833 days = just over 2 years

I guess I'm trying to figure out if utility companies are likely to make a profit off fast charging (without government support). It seems very heavily coupled to usage, so I guess we're always going to be in a situation where we don't have enough chargers

Just for a laugh, what if a service station provided chargers and every person charging bought a coffee, lets see what happens then

Average charging session: 30 mins @ 50kW = 25kWh
    Profit per cup of coffee: €2 (total guesswork on my part)
    Profit per session: (€0.15/kWh * 25kWh) + €2 = €5.75

Payback sessions required: 5217
    Payback period @ 5 sessions per day: 1043 days = 2.85 years
    Payback period @ 10 sessions per day: 521 = 1.4 years

Looks like the argument for service stations using chargers to entice customers isn't too bad

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I pulled your post into this thread, there was some detailed discussion on this a few pages ago :D

I pulled your post into this thread, there was some detailed discussion on this a few pages ago :D

Thanks, with so many charging threads it's hard to know where to go sometimes :)

Looks like the argument for service stations using chargers to entice customers isn't too bad

Yes and that's why petrol stations in many countries from Norway, through Austria to Czechia jumped on the wagon. Also it's a business that's only going to scale up with time. It's an investment.

For other operators (not petrol station related), banks of AC in cities are a better business opportunity. Else DC at selected motorway spots but they are mostly taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

All I could find was a paper from the US:
    https://theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT_EV_Charging_Cost_20190813.pdf

Just for a laugh, what if a service station provided chargers and every person charging bought a coffee, lets see what happens then

Average charging session: 30 mins @ 50kW = 25kWh
    Profit per cup of coffee: €2 (total guesswork on my part)
    Profit per session: (€0.15/kWh * 25kWh) + €2 = €5.75

Payback sessions required: 5217
    Payback period @ 5 sessions per day: 1043 days = 2.85 years
    Payback period @ 10 sessions per day: 521 = 1.4 years

Quite nice article. I speed read it but I need more time to analyze it as is packed with data.

While you calculations are a bit crude I don't think you're far away. You probably have a higher cost for electricity but you don't count for support etc. Another thing to mention is that these chargers qualify for ACA which essentially reduces your tax bill.

Now consider the supermarket scenario.

My weekly grocery bill is 150 -200. (probably more now as it includes the booze). If DS installs a charger and steals me from Tesco that is a €10k a year business assured. (and 10k less for the competition which probably counts more). So whatever money they do charging me for electricity can easily go towards charger costs. That is only from one family. And while is nothing now when there are only 10k EVs on the street in few years time when 20% of the cars would be EVs this will actually count. To run a petrol station now you need license and lots. To have a charger installed in your car park you don't need even planning permission (with some limitations)

Another scenario. A medium sized local shop. Corner shops are crying that are pushed towards extinction by the big ones. This is one way to be relevant. If you can make me get there I will probably carve 50 quid from my weekly booze stipend to spend there.

Few weeks ago when the debate AC/DC was heated I looked on plugshare at Amsterdam to see what others are doing. While it is true there are a lot of AC points, there are a lot of DC ones. After 8 I gave up counting McDonalds chargers, lots of hotels but the best one for me was this. https://www.plugshare.com/location/129851 (check pictures). I would probably get all my meetings in there charging or not.

innrain wrote: »
    Few weeks ago when the debate AC/DC was heated I looked on plugshare at Amsterdam to see what others are doing. While it is true there are a lot of AC points, there are a lot of DC ones. After 8 I gave up counting McDonalds chargers, lots of hotels but the best one for me was this. https://www.plugshare.com/location/129851 (check pictures). I would probably get all my meetings in there charging or not.

That's in Amstelveen, a bit outside Amsterdam.

Those DC Chargers are practically impossible to get spot on, I've driven up to one, car with blue plates sitting there (Taxi/Uber) told me it was busy, another Uber drove up and they exchanged cars, they have a Whatsapp group.

There's also around 100 Tesla Model S floating around Schipol nearby that use those DC chargers regularly (turns into a bit of a war against Taxi and Uber drivers sometimes)

Yes and that's why petrol stations in many countries from Norway, through Austria to Czechia jumped on the wagon. Also it's a business that's only going to scale up with time. It's an investment.

For other operators (not petrol station related), banks of AC in cities are a better business opportunity. Else DC at selected motorway spots but they are mostly taken.

I think it's related to dwell time, or at least it should be. It's nice that supermarkets are installing 22kW, but the reality is that most EVs can't take 22kW charging.

A typical weekly shop is probably 1 hours from parking to driving away. In that time you'll probably only gain 7kWh or 11kWh depending on charging speed. Even a Zoe will only gain 22kWh, which is less than 50% SoC for a ZE50

A 50kW DC charger would be more useful in this case as you can recover a lot of your battery charge in that time. The infrastructure for 2x50kW chargers is basically the same as 4x22kW chargers, so the main difference is the cost of the charger itself. You could even install those dual outlet chargers which can share the 50kW load, so you'd still have 4 cars charging in parallel

innrain wrote: »
    Another scenario. A medium sized local shop. Corner shops are crying that are pushed towards extinction by the big ones. This is one way to be relevant. If you can make me get there I will probably carve 50 quid from my weekly booze stipend to spend there.

It'd be great to see local councils and retail groups get together to install some charging in town centres, which is where most of those struggling businesses would be located. If they could carve out a lot for a few DC and AC chargers then you have a charging hub which would pull in a few customers for local businesses.

You could even do a 'locals' deal where residents could get an hour of free parking while charging or a discount on the charging rate or something

I think it's related to dwell time, or at least it should be. It's nice that supermarkets are installing 22kW, but the reality is that most EVs can't take 22kW charging.

A typical weekly shop is probably 1 hours from parking to driving away. In that time you'll probably only gain 7kWh or 11kWh depending on charging speed. Even a Zoe will only gain 22kWh, which is less than 50% SoC for a ZE50

A 50kW DC charger would be more useful in this case as you can recover a lot of your battery charge in that time. The infrastructure for 2x50kW chargers is basically the same as 4x22kW chargers, so the main difference is the cost of the charger itself. You could even install those dual outlet chargers which can share the 50kW load, so you'd still have 4 cars charging in parallel

That's like 50-60km of added range in an hour, add up all the time your vehicle is parked and that's way more than most people actually drive.

You don't need to charge up completely in one sitting if you have easy access to chargers.

Wide availability of charging means you don't have to wait for a charger and you don't have to wait for your vehicle to charge.

I drove just over 3400 km in the last month, the only times i've had to wait while charging was while using DC Fast Charging, rest of the kWh (80%) was loaded while I was doing other things (shopping/swimming/hiking/working/sleeping/watching TV)

Lots and lots of Charging points all over place (not centralised) means you are never waiting to use one and the location you are going to has a charging option nearby.

I'll even take a 13 amp plug socket if it's going ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's like 50-60km of added range in an hour, add up all the time your vehicle is parked and that's way more than most people actually drive.

You don't need to charge up completely in one sitting if you have easy access to chargers.

Wide availability of charging means you don't have to wait for a charger and you don't have to wait for your vehicle to charge.

I drove just over 3400 km in the last month, the only times i've had to wait while charging was while using DC Fast Charging, rest of the kWh (80%) was loaded while I was doing other things (shopping/swimming/hiking/working/sleeping/watching TV)

Lots and lots of Charging points all over place (not centralised) means you are never waiting to use one and the location you are going to has a charging option nearby.

I'll even take a 13 amp plug socket if it's going ;)
    We don't have that in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

It'd be great to see local councils and retail groups get together to install some charging in town centres, which is where most of those struggling businesses would be located. If they could carve out a lot for a few DC and AC chargers then you have a charging hub which would pull in a few customers for local businesses.

You could even do a 'locals' deal where residents could get an hour of free parking while charging or a discount on the charging rate or something
    And the beauty is they they have a range of grants available. One specially designed to cater for AC chargers installation in their car parks
    https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/public-charge-point/

It's up to 10k for a dual socket charger. You would think they will stampede to get on board. One year after the grant was announced I was trying to contact my LA but I got stonewalled. But the press wrote about the thousand chargers LAs will install.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/councils-to-install-up-to-1-000-on-street-electric-car-charging-points-1.3996963

it's a 5 year funding. How many in the first year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

I think you're dead wrong there, you're missing the fact that there are many People with no home charging and blocked by management companies, land lords etc from installing charge points with no form of legislation in the works to make charging a legal right, these people will depend entirely on the public network but will probably be the least likely to change to EV, but they will at the last minute.

More and more EV owners on the streets means more demand on the network as people take holidays and need somewhere to charge.

People without access to home charging shouldn't buy EV's . It makes no sense from a time or money perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

If we had a charging infrastructure like say Netherlands then people would buy EVs without home charge points. Saying that people who live in apartments should not buy EVs is shortsighted and unfair to those people.

• Advertisement

ei9go wrote: »
    People without access to home charging shouldn't buy EV's . It makes no sense from a time or money perspective.

I agree that you lose a lot of the financial and convenience benefits when you don't have a home charger

But something needs to be done, and until there's a bunch of people screaming at councils and management companies to install chargers then nothing will be done.

Advertisement