Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AC vs DC for charging without private parking

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭innrain

garo wrote: »
    Saying that people who live in apartments should not buy EVs is shortsighted and unfair to those people.

Why do you think that. I think is the best solution for this thread. Private owners of parkings of any kind being shops gyms etc should not be allowed to install chargers. So no more debate AC vs DC.

Why unfair they've already bought in the sustainable housing, why do they need electric cars. If they are genuine should walk or cycle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

innrain wrote: »
    Why unfair they've already bought in the sustainable housing, why do they need electric cars. If they are genuine should walk or cycle.

I think that's a gross misunderstanding of why people buy apartments, most are not buying them as sustainable housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭innrain

Sorry couldn't not to reply :) It was much tongue in cheek as you could imagine. It's hard to resist when someone tells you what you should do.

In the grand scheme of things is irrelevant why they buy apartments. Should this be a policy from the government to create more sustainable living conditions, should this be solely a personal choice or this is just what they can afford they are living in more sustainable setting compared to terraced houses. No offense to the latter. I lived (and still do) in apartments my entire life and I don't see myself taking the rubbish bin in the front of the house. Again no offense to anybody just a personal thing. We each have two parking spaces in the underground car park and most of the owners support the idea of chargers. But the agent has different plans and presents the installation of a charger as something out of SCI-FI movies and some of the older residents get confused and/or scared. But the change is coming. If in April 2019 it was just my car now there are 4 EVs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think we need some enabling legislation similar to that in California, Multi-Unit Dwellings should be forced to facilitate the installation of AC chargers either at the cost of the person requesting or via partnership with a charging provider.
    Outside of that district hubs as discussed in this thread are also a potential solution.

I think ELM327 was able to work with his management company to install a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

liamog wrote: »
    I think we need some enabling legislation similar to that in California, Multi-Unit Dwellings should be forced to facilitate the installation of AC chargers either at the cost of the person requesting or via partnership with a charging provider.

That has been done for new planning applications, hasnt it?

The problem is that it's not retrospective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

KCross wrote: »
    That has been done for new planning applications, hasnt it?

The problem is that it's not retrospective.

They could bring it in as a rule for rentals, there's a list of basic amenities the rented property has to provide. A charging point or ability to charge could be added if the rental provides parking

For house sales, I guess you could add it the same way that all house sales need a BER now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    Outside of that district hubs as discussed in this thread are also a potential solution.

I think ELM327 was able to work with his management company to install a charger.

Yup, I essentially told them I was installing the charger using an ESB approved electrician and if they had any concerns to let me know. They said once I can return the spot to as normal if I move out there is no issue.

Nigel Daly's company installed it for me in my allocated spot. Tethered Rolec 32a unit and i have had no issues in the near 3 years I'm here. It charged my Ioniq and Tesla correctly.

I think for new developments, there must be pre wiring for EV chargers as part of planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They could bring it in as a rule for rentals, there's a list of basic amenities the rented property has to provide. A charging point or ability to charge could be added if the rental provides parking

For house sales, I guess you could add it the same way that all house sales need a BER now
    3 pin plug near the letterbox provides this requirement.
    I lived like that (3 pin plug in the garage out the garage window) with my leaf for 12 months and did 60k km!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yup, I essentially told them I was installing the charger using an ESB approved electrician and if they had any concerns to let me know. They said once I can return the spot to as normal if I move out there is no issue.

Nigel Daly's company installed it for me in my allocated spot. Tethered Rolec 32a unit and i have had no issues in the near 3 years I'm here. It charged my Ioniq and Tesla correctly.

I think for new developments, there must be pre wiring for EV chargers as part of planning?

Out of curiosity, what was the installation cost compared to a residential install? My guess is the cable runs were longer meaning more cost, but you probably didn't need to worry about aesthetics so could have exposed cable or conduit

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement