Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I can always remember back i suppose 20 years ago our agri contractor had the same dilemma .He had the price of a new 110 90 but instead bought 2 second hand 956 .They worked grand for a few years but invariably they took it in turn to break down .They then ended up broke down most of the time It depends on the work load but any farmer who buys new ,dont abuse and services his tractor ,this tractor will still be mint in 30 years time .Anyway good genuine 2 nd hand tractors are as dear as new tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Sounds like you get a lot more bang for your buck in 2nd case. How so?

5712 is second hand too working out at a little over 70K Would buy a moderately houred 526 for 30K and a 5470 or the likes would be got for circa 40K Would have hours too but regardless its still 2 machines , im in 2 minds like ye say at least buying 1 good/newish machine you know it from the start compared to buying a machine with 5/6000 hours that could give bother for every following hour, But all going well option 2 gives alot more bang for buck

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ye may have a point.i see a1990 mb trac made 70 k sterling the other day.😲

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Thinking of changing tractor here. Approx 3k to be spent on her and prob get 4-5k for it for export.
    Looking for something around 15k. Something tidy fir around yard. Don't need loader. Would only need it for mowing ( disc mower) spreading fertiliser and bales.
    Would a 4wd be a waste on something around 80 -90 horse power and what should I be looking at ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

K.G. wrote: »
    Ye may have a point.i see a1990 mb trac made 70 k sterling the other day.😲

They've a big following because of what they are. That price reflects their collectabilty and not necessarily its value as a farm vehicle. It's a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Robson99 wrote: »
    Thinking of changing tractor here. Approx 3k to be spent on her and prob get 4-5k for it for export.
    Looking for something around 15k. Something tidy fir around yard. Don't need loader. Would only need it for mowing ( disc mower) spreading fertiliser and bales.
    Would a 4wd be a waste on something around 80 -90 horse power and what should I be looking at ?

What about a Landini 9880? Great tractor, all manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

C0N0R wrote: »
    Quick question, have a tractor that’s fully depreciated, it I trade that tractor in is there a tax issue or how does it work?

Yes there is tax issue. As far as I know present value will be taxable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

The 4wd would depend on your ground. It's certainly not a waste on a 80-90hp tractor. Very worthwhile if you're working in less than ideal conditions.

Certainly not a waste but budget is tight so you may have to compromise. As the thread title says used tractors are gone fierce expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A lot will depend on your other requirements, do you want some form of shuttle, do you need a loader on it, if 2wd will do it sounds like a lot of roadwork is not needed. However this looks ok a McCirmick CX90. I suspect VAT is on top of the price brining it to about 16k and it sterling as well

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/mc-cormick-4-wd/25792158

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote: »
    The 4wd would depend on your ground. It's certainly not a waste on a 80-90hp tractor. Very worthwhile if you're working in less than ideal conditions.

Land a bit heavy but not hilly. Wouldn't be doing much work on it myself bar fertiliser, dung, rolling and mowing / turning.
    Just think a 2wd is a neater / tidied tractor bar maybe a new holland 6635 or Case 4240 in a 4wd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

As another poster mentioned Landini may be worth looking at. Perkins engines and still fairly mechanical.
    Brother bought a 01 Landini Ghibli 90 4wd with 4000 hrs on it last year for 15k. Granted it had a few issues like a hole in the exhaust, one of the doors needed a slam to close and it needed 2 front tyres. Its been going great since he bought it and he only changed the front tyres lately.

A lot will depend on your other requirements, do you want some form of shuttle, do you need a loader on it, if 2wd will do it sounds like a lot of roadwork is not needed. However this looks ok a McCirmick CX90. I suspect VAT is on top of the price brining it to about 16k and it sterling as well

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/mc-cormick-4-wd/25792158

Shuttle / loader not required. Have loader on another small tractor that does all that's needed ( stacking some straw / hay and loading some dung ). Very little roadworks.
    If a person buys private and does not get an invoice does that mean you can't get tax write off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Shuttle / loader not required. Have loader on another small tractor that does all that's needed ( stacking some straw / hay and loading some dung ). Very little roadworks.
    If a person buys private and does not get an invoice does that mean you can't get tax write off

Any body can give you an invoice/receipt, jut make sure to pay by cheque, bank draft or bank transfer. Accountant can see it then in bank accountant.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Land a bit heavy but not hilly. Wouldn't be doing much work on it myself bar fertiliser, dung, rolling and mowing / turning.
    Just think a 2wd is a neater / tidied tractor bar maybe a new holland 6635 or Case 4240 in a 4wd

I know theres a restored 2wd landini at the landini dealer near killucan, co westmeath. Think it could be a 9880

Thanks Reggie.
    I'll probably wait till the new year before I do anything but the likes of that Landini would probably do if cab was ok.
    I think they are similar to the MF 390 / 690

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

Thanks Reggie.
    I'll probably wait till the new year before I do anything but the likes of that Landini would probably do if cab was ok.
    I think they are similar to the MF 390 / 690

Similar engine and cab.....Totally different tractor otherwise..

hopeso wrote: »
    Similar engine and cab.....Totally different tractor otherwise..

For better or worse ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/mf-390-c-w-loader/25756607

390 with a loader and tine grab for under €15k. You could sell the loader and grab making it a cheap tractor. Looks clean and hours are not high.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

I'm not looking for a tractor, but looking at those pictures, for interest. 5 photos but show nothing, very badly taken photos. Can't understand why they won't bother with good close shots, and 1 inside cab?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What impact will brexit have on tractor prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

I know it's like they don't want to sell it by taking crap pics. Cab pics give you a good overview, hate it when there's none.

Nice JD 6200. Bit overprcied. I have a 98 JD 6400, very nice tractor.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/john-deere/25822907

Iodine1 wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a tractor, but looking at those pictures, for interest. 5 photos but show nothing, very badly taken photos. Can't understand why they won't bother with good close shots, and 1 inside cab?

Agreed, a few shots inside the cab imo are vital. You can tell a lot about a tractor by how the cab was treated, kept clean, seat minded etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭straight

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What impact will brexit have on tractor prices?

Good question. Cant see it helping anyway. Will they still be able to import tractors through the north?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Can you. Bring one. Fr UK they are half that. Price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

Anyone here bought second hand tractor from England? Any recommendations for a place to look. Anywhere you would go back to again when looking for another tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

fastrac94 wrote: »
    Anyone here bought second hand tractor from England? Any recommendations for a place to look. Anywhere you would go back to again when looking for another tractor?

No value over there at the minute, certainly not for farmers tractors.

As for the 2/4WD, you'll buy a 4WD as handy these days as a lot of 2WD's have been exported and they are becoming hard got, but still a demand for them as yard tractors, very very few being sold new with many manufacturers not even giving the option for 2WD anymore.

Fiat 80-90/90-90 can be got well under than budget just keep an eye out for rust, Landini's give you a few options too, 9880 or 8880 as mentioned or even a blizzard. You pick up a 00 John Deere at this stage for well within that budget just make sure it hasnt been worked to death and tarted up (that goes for everything in that price bracket). Some earlier valmets come up at that money and are worth looking at, likes of a 6400 or even a 900/A series will fall in your budget and do the work you need just keep an eye on the clutch.

Loads of options in your price range but there is a hell of a lot more bad ones than there is good so proceed with caution and get a good lad to go with you because a 1000 doesnt go very far fixing a lot of tractors nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Load of Bord na Mona tractors up for auction. I don't know anything about them but some look ok, others dog rough or just odd.

Bog tractors Bord na mona

NÍL AON TINTEÁN MAR DO THINTEÁN FÉIN :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭older by the day

As rough as my neighbours yard. How come they all look so wrecked, have they clean ones hidden else where

• Advertisement

As rough as my neighbours yard. How come they all look so wrecked, have they clean ones hidden else where

We bought a JD 6910 and a 6930 from BnM. They were a year or two old at the time. Well worked but well looked after. I wouldn't write them off. The ones in the pics look pretty tired though too be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

There was a BNM auction last year too. I remember it being discussed on a thread here. There was a lot of rough machines for sale and from what was mentioned nothing went cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

There is a mathematical formula called the depreciation value of a machine.

I remember doing it in college. Some of you lads will call me a college boy and pay an accountant or bank employee to work it out.

Depreciation comes into it, I remember that much. How cool it looks on the telly doesnt come into it, how many girls it will pull doesnt come into it, how tall itll make ye does not come into the equation, dont impulse buy plant is what Im saying, ask the accountant sure isnt he paid enough and not a speck of dirt on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is a mathematical formula called the depreciation value of a machine.

I remember doing it in college. Some of you lads will call me a college boy and pay an accountant or bank employee to work it out.

Depreciation comes into it, I remember that much. How cool it looks on the telly doesnt come into it, how many girls it will pull doesnt come into it, how tall itll make ye does not come into the equation, dont impulse buy plant is what Im saying, ask the accountant sure isnt he paid enough and not a speck of dirt on him

I'd reckon 99% of the posters on here are far more familiar with how you write down book values of assets than you seem to be yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

20200828_114953.jpg?width=700&height=475&bgcolor=ffffff

New hen house sorted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Great idea, was looking at the catalogue and was wondering wtf anyone would buy these for. I was thinking tree house 😆

• Advertisement

We had a Caterpillar 910, and used to leave the roof off cos of low sheds, it reminds me of the ugly cab that was left in the yard. Some loader tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

NcdJd wrote: »
    Great idea, was looking at the catalogue and was wondering wtf anyone would buy these for. I was thinking tree house 😆

Was thinking the same myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Put a few in your garden and rent them out to students.

Housing crisis solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

Put a few in your garden and rent them out to students.

Housing crisis solved.

Be as good as some of the ones I lived in back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Weidemann had an add popped up in a feed which said 5% off and an extra years warranty on the 4080, 5080 and telescopic versions of those models. To do with emissions legislation. Looks like they have stock to off load so if someone is in the market they're could be deals to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Weidemann had an add popped up in a feed which said 5% off and an extra years warranty on the 4080, 5080 and telescopic versions of those models. To do with emissions legislation. Looks like they have stock to off load so if someone is in the market they're could be deals to be made.

There's supposed to be a big backlog in production as well as there's only half the numbers able to work in factories due to social distancing. Waiting times for new machines supposed to have doubled, heard that in a few places when I was looking around at the different machines out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Did you go to look at them Everun loaders you see on donedeal? A few others in that price range too. Be interesting to hear from someone that has been to see them or better again has bought one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Gillespy wrote: »
    Did you go to look at them Everun loaders you see on donedeal? A few others in that price range too. Be interesting to hear from someone that has been to see them or better again has bought one.

No, I was going buying secondhand so I stayed away from those. I didn't come across any in Munster or any dealers for them while looking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Gillespy

I would be like you and look to a used one from an established name before one as tempted as they might look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1995-o-amp-k-l6-4-16772/25847195

This is a nice looking loader for a handy sized farm.
    Anyone know anything or have experience of one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭straight

Contractors had great meas in the bigger ones anyway. Looks like a bargain to me. I just think myself that you can't beat the tractor and loader as an all round machine. That loader wouldn't be much good for drawing bales in summer on your own.

Ya contractor here rates them too

There's supposed to be a big backlog in production as well as there's only half the numbers able to work in factories due to social distancing. Waiting times for new machines supposed to have doubled, heard that in a few places when I was looking around at the different machines out there.

A brother of mine ordered a new Volvo artic two weeks before lockdown in March he only got it two weeks ago due to the backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Fred Daly wrote: »
    A brother of mine ordered a new Volvo artic two weeks before lockdown in March he only got it two weeks ago due to the backlog.

What did he get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Would it reach a 3rd row if bales off a lorry?
    That man has a good name afaik.

• Advertisement
Advertisement