Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Bad TV this a way -> Love island, Room to Improve repeats, At your service repeats, Lords and Ladles repeats, Dragons Den, Operation Transformation, Celebrity Operation Transformation repeats, Mrs Brown's Boys, All Round to Mrs Brown.

The Handmaid's Tale is not for everyone but the general consensus is that it is considered one of the best shows. Personally, I love it myself. As for Elisabeth Moss being a scientologist: surely, that is a good few steps above being an evangelical 'Christian' type common in America's current semi-Gileadean regime.

One of the best shows available to watch on RTE, perhaps when compared to the list of shows you gave, however not sure id agree though that the general consensus is its on of the best shows available to watch on tv. Thats a very subjective comment firstly and there is such a huge amount of great shows available via streaming and tv now to chose from that the bar is quite high. The general opinion online is actually that Season 1 was rated very highly but season two and three have faired less well. Looking at online reviews and viewer ratings and comments the general consensus is that the show has lost its way and is going in no real direction. It has struggled after season one and is seen to have lost the fear and realism that gripped viewers in early on. In fact theres suggestions that the writers have dug themselves into a hole and to turn things around and save the shoe it needs to kill off June. A popular show indeed but one of the best is a bold and very subjective claim to make and currently the show seems to be on a downward slope rather than achieving the success and fame of season one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If it follows the plot of The Testements from here on in, it'll be epic. The new book is excellent, even better than the first I'd argue. It gives you a real feel for what life in Gilead was like for a wide range of people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Axwell wrote: »
    One of the best shows available to watch on RTE, perhaps when compared to the list of shows you gave, however not sure id agree though that the general consensus is its on of the best shows available to watch on tv. Thats a very subjective comment firstly and there is such a huge amount of great shows available via streaming and tv now to chose from that the bar is quite high. The general opinion online is actually that Season 1 was rated very highly but season two and three have faired less well. Looking at online reviews and viewer ratings and comments the general consensus is that the show has lost its way and is going in no real direction. It has struggled after season one and is seen to have lost the fear and realism that gripped viewers in early on. In fact theres suggestions that the writers have dug themselves into a hole and to turn things around and save the shoe it needs to kill off June. A popular show indeed but one of the best is a bold and very subjective claim to make and currently the show seems to be on a downward slope rather than achieving the success and fame of season one.

I have to agree, I enjoy it and there are only so many shows that myself and Mrs. Ziedth watch together in which this is probably the best. However, One of the best shows it certainly is not. Even at it's best it was at least one level below IMO. But each to their own of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Axwell wrote: »

June will
    not be killed off
    as we know from The Testaments. Bringing The Testaments into the frame and showing more of this is clearly the way to go. Series 1 of most shows tends to be the most rated but I still consider series 2 and 3 very good. Agree S1 is the best so far though but the other 2 seasons are good too. June should go the way she is in The Testaments
    as revolutionary figure working for Mayday from Canada

TV is subjective but for me this series does what it is supposed to do and like Breaking Bad, Love/Hate and others, has been one I enjoyed. If THT follows The Testaments from now on, we have the potential for a series 4 or 5 as good as season 1 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If it follows the plot of The Testements from here on in, it'll be epic. The new book is excellent, even better than the first I'd argue. It gives you a real feel for what life in Gilead was like for a wide range of people.

The Testaments is excellent and deserves to be faithfully reproduced into a TV series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Just finished the Testaments. I felt very satisfied by the book and thought it followed on well from the TV series. Hope the tv series continues on to include the story from the book as it’s cleverly thought out. Well deserving of the Booker Prize imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Testaments is excellent and deserves to be faithfully reproduced into a TV series.
    I bet the showrunners are heaving a big sigh of relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Handmaids Tale Season 4 apparently postponed till autumn this year, so no trailer as yet, the story focuses apparently on the Testaments this time round. https://thebuzzpaper.com/the-handmaid-tale-season-4-netflix-reveals-the-release-date/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,918 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nice.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 60,353 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 4 teaser,

Season 4 returns 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

McKenna Grace joins

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Season 4 teaser,

Season 4 returns 2021.

Not sure if I can bear to watch any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Wonder if this will be the last season before they start the testaments, shows getting infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Honestly with the way this year as gone I don’t think il bother watching it

It’s too grim. I need raindrops and roses and whiskers on kittens etc

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Rfrip wrote:

Rfrip wrote:

Yes I agree. Back at the start of lockdown when we were only allowed out for shopping and the garda were checking our movements it all felt too like Handsmaid's Tale for my liking.

Just like Covid, it just keeps getting worse with no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Teaser for season 4 which starts April 28th

At one stage I was looking forward to this, can't even muster the will to watch the trailer now

Rfrip wrote: »

This still stands! now more than ever!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This still stands! now more than ever!!!!

Me too, It was my absolute favourite and I looked forward to it weekly .I wont watch it now, I really dont need beatings and people shuffling around in hoods and hanging off walls . Its too close for comfort . !

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Me too, It was my absolute favourite and I looked forward to it weekly .I wont watch it now, I really dont need beatings and people shuffling around in hoods and hanging off walls . Its too close for comfort . !

Absolutely! Hope all is well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Absolutely! Hope all is well:)

All good, not hanging on the wall yet anyway .................:D

I will probably watch it, but I have a feeling it'll just be renegade June running around literally getting away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I will probably watch it, but I have a feeling it'll just be renegade June running around literally getting away with murder.

Well going by the promo above she doesn't appear to be a handmaid any longer, so it might take the edge off the hangings and day to day oppression. Often I'd go back and watch the most recent series before a new one starts particularly if there has been a gap of a year or two, but I couldn't do that this time. I will watch this series, but the generally oppressive vibe is a bit too close to the bone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I used to love this show in season 1 and 2 but it really fell off a cliff. I might give the first episode a watch but I won't be holding much expectation for it.

Trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Trailer.

So many questions.
    • Who got pushed off the roof?
    • Why do people want to "free the Waterfords"?
    • June goes back to Gilead at some point to see her daughter in a cage? Why did they bother? Wouldn't it be safer to "disappear" June at this point?
    • Did they kill Hannah?
    • Serena is pregnant? - Is Fred the father?
    • Are the handmaids who helped June in the end of S3 all in hiding now?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sunshine2018

Where can we watch this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So many questions.
    • Who got pushed off the roof?
    • Why do people want to "free the Waterfords"?
    • June goes back to Gilead at some point to see her daughter in a cage? Why did they bother? Wouldn't it be safer to "disappear" June at this point?
    • Did they kill Hannah?
    • Serena is pregnant? - Is Fred the father?
    • Are the handmaids who helped June in the end of S3 all in hiding now?

At this stage I just dont think I want to know the answers. Not sure I want to devote another few hours to misery.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement