Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Another element of the story which is totally unbelievable is why these children of commanders would even want to go along with the plot. So this random slave maid that lives in their home manages to convince them to leave their family with her to go to this way better place called Canada that theyve probably never heard of and know nothing about due to censorship and manages to convince them life there is better despite them not knowing any better.
    None of these children would have suffered any violence in their life and are essentially treated as royalty within the society. There would be no reason for them to be longing for some better life, and at such a young age they wouldnt even question it regardless. Theyd just take it as it is. Most of the kids looked under 12 and gilead is 5 years old, most of them were only just out of nappies when they were separated from their family and theyd probably have little recollection of them and be pretty indifferent to the idea of reuniting with them now and leaving their current loving family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

Or that the following morning, after all this has presumably been noticed, 6 handmaids can go for a wander in the woods to rescue June.
    Or that all that gunfire, at an airport within walking distance of town, didn't bring a load of security down on the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Credibility is gone out the window now ! Marthas all moving around with little kids and not an Eye in sight !
    Not one child questioned or objected to being hurried along through woods into the unknown ?
    No one heard the gunshot in the woods ? Handmaids dissapearing for hours and no one sends the dogs after them ?

But credibility aside I actually enjoyed the episode and loved the plane landing and being met and Emily meeting Rita was lovely .
    Serenas comeuppance was very satisfying too !

This is a good site to catch up on episodes or remind yourself of happenings or characters

https://the-handmaids-tale.fandom.com/wiki/The_Handmaid%27s_Tale_Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I found it interesting when Serenas back was to the wall over her involvement on a crime that she showed her true colours.
    She snapped at Tuelleo that 'Offred and Nick had a relationship', she reverted back to Gilead terms.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,420 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Leah Remini Sounds Off on ‘Hypocrisy’ of Scientologist Elisabeth Moss
    Elisabeth Moss, the award-winning star of Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale, is a card-carrying Scientologist. It’s a surprising fact, given the actress’s public image as a feminist—owing to her iconic turns as Offred, as well as Peggy Olson on Mad Men—and one that’s eluded most people thanks to her reticence on the subject, and an entertainment press that’s treated the 37-year-old with kid gloves.

Of course, Moss’s continued presence on Handmaid’s, coupled with her outspoken views on women’s reproductive rights, seem strange given how the Church of Scientology has been accused of forcing women into having abortions.

“The hypocrisy is asinine,” Leah Remini tells me of Moss. “[Moss] is getting away with it because with most press, people are pussies. They want the celebrity to get to talk with them, and like them. You know, I don’t respect it, I don’t admire it, and I don’t think there’s anything remotely cute about it.”

When I asked Moss about her Scientology beliefs in March, and whether they run contra to the message of The Handmaid’s Tale, she mostly deflected, saying, “I can only speak to my personal experience and my personal beliefs. One of the things I believe in is freedom of speech. I believe we as humans should be able to critique things. I believe in freedom of the press. I believe in people being able to speak their own opinions. I don’t ever want to take that away from anybody, because that actually is very important to me. At the same time, I should hope that people educate themselves for themselves and form their own opinion, as I have.”

As Remini sees it, this type of non-response is par for the course. “When I was in [Scientology], when I was being asked about Scientology—this was before the internet and social media—there wasn’t that much information on the internet about Scientology. Not like now. I was indoctrinated, just as Elisabeth [Moss], to not read what’s on the internet, to not read anything. Elisabeth has not watched my show. So, she knows nothing about what she’s talking about, she just needs to respond the way Scientology wants her to respond.” (Moss and the Church of Scientology did not respond to requests for comment by time of publication.)

“And if you’ve noticed, assholes like Kirstie Alley are calling me a twat and the STAND League is calling me a bigot, and people like Elisabeth Moss are saying what they all say: find out for yourself, don’t believe what’s in the press, you should think for yourself, get a book, that kind of ****,” Remini continued, airing out the Scientologist-actress and Scientology’s attack-dog group.

She then aimed her ire at Giovanni Ribisi, another prominent Hollywood Scientologist. “And you have the Giovanni’s [Ribisi] of the world saying I sound disgruntled, and I was a friend of Giovanni’s too, and they can all kiss my fat ass with their bull****. They can kiss my ass,” Remini exclaimed. “If they want to ever comment about me publicly, they can do it to my face—and they will never. Giovanni was supposed to be at an Emmy event and didn’t show up because he knew I would be there. That’s the kind of pussy **** we’re talking about. Kirstie Alley blocked me on Twitter. She wants to call me a twat? She knows where I live.”

The most frustrating thing, according to Remini, is how many of these Hollywood Scientologists take it upon themselves to criticize the brave men and women who’ve escaped the Church’s clutches and shared their stories of alleged abuse on the Emmy-winning Scientology and the Aftermath.

“This is the type of thing you’re saying about women who are coming forward talking about being raped? I’m tired of it! Enough is enough,” said Remini. “I was probably one of the most loyal Scientologists. I was in 35 years. Mike Rinder, Amy Scobee, Debbie Cook—they were all in longer than me. All of these people have spoken and told you what’s going on. This is the upper-upper management of Scientology that’s talking to you, and you don’t want to listen?!”

The full interview with Leah Remini will run Monday only at The Daily Beast.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/leah-remini-sounds-off-on-hypocrisy-of-scientologist-elisabeth-moss?ref=home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I always though Moss should be pressed more by the press on her involvement in a religious cult and how it compares to what happens on the handmaids tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Is there anyone in Hollywood not involved at this point?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

It lost the plot so long ago.
    Let's see what twist they writers will come up with now to save June's neck again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Barna77 wrote: »
    It lost the plot so long ago.
    Let's see what twist they writers will come up with now to save June's neck again.

I'm not hangin' around to find out. Unless they announce it's the final season, which I doubt, I'm packing it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,081 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

My prediction is when they eventually finish it up that June will die in the final scene getting Hannah out.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

My prediction is when they eventually finish it up that June will die in the final scene getting Hannah out.

Ughh..I can just imagine how un-moving the current writers would make such an otherwise potentially devastating and powerfully sad scene

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Leah Remini Sounds Off on ‘Hypocrisy’ of Scientologist Elisabeth Moss

https://www.thedailybeast.com/leah-remini-sounds-off-on-hypocrisy-of-scientologist-elisabeth-moss?ref=home

Didn't know she was in that cult, wow. Somebody like Moss isn't going to be exposed to the underbelly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Seanachai wrote: »
    Didn't know she was in that cult, wow. Somebody like Moss isn't going to be exposed to the underbelly though.

She was born into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I'm not hangin' around to find out. Unless they announce it's the final season, which I doubt, I'm packing it in.
    Praise be :pac:

Serena has always been my favourite character. I want to see her downfall but somehow I'm rooting for her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Joseph didn't turn on them! I really thought he might have.

That really felt like a show finale than a season finale but I see it's renewed for a fourth season. My guess is that it's gotta include a civil war and/or war with Canada at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Slydice wrote: »
    Joseph didn't turn on them! I really thought he might have.

That really felt like a show finale than a season finale but I see it's renewed for a fourth season. My guess is that it's gotta include a civil war and/or war with Canada at this stage.
    Will there be sharks? :)

Barna77 wrote: »
    Praise be :pac:

Serena has always been my favourite character. I want to see her downfall but somehow I'm rooting for her too.

Yes Serena is a complex character , sometimes I want to see her fall and then she does something nice . I feel like Rita sometimes ! She has a soft spot for Serena yet could happily throttle her too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Sardonicat wrote: »
    She was born into it.

Just reading up on it now, I'm thinking they weren't the ones getting locked in isolation or scrubbing decks. It's dark stuff in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Season three kind of lost the run of itself a bit.

I really struggle to understand how June hasn't been eliminated yet and how she manages to have so much of a hold over Gilead. The suspension of disbelief is becoming a lot harder.

I wasn't as interested in watching this season as the previous two and watched the final episode out of obligation more than anything, hoping that something might happen which would convince me to keep watching it.

I won't give up on it but I do expect something a lot better from season four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Pretty poor season, every episode seemed to have a scene with June staring into the camera with loud dramatic music. It seems to be the usual story of the writers can't compete with the book and the network milking a successful show for as long as possible. Not sure I'll bother with the 4th season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Going to miss having the Handmaids later this evening. After Peaky Blinders ends, there will be nothing for quite a while. So, it will be off wit the TV and on with Margaret Atwood's The Testaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I agree it was very badly paced, but I think that a lot of the season was showing her descent into madness, followed by coming out of it with a huge amount of ruthlessness. A lesson on how freedom fighters / terrorists develop maybe?

As for what she was getting away with, aunt Lydia in particular seemed to have some amount of sympathy for her, which was giving her a lot of leeway in what June said , as long as she towed the line physically. They could see the mental health issues developing, which maybe they assumed were an effect of her baby Nicole being "stolen" from Gilead. They repeatedly show the treatment of mental illness being completely swept under the carpet with Eleanor Lawrence. Everyone is aware of it, but they all turn a blind eye.

To me, the parallel between how Eleanor was treated in Gilead and how June was treated was quite strong. Both were considered nutty, but controllable. I think June saw that too, and that's why that bond developed. That was also why she let her escape from it through her suicide. Compassion and identifying with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So I watched the first two episodes of season three and found it all very samey and too similar to early seasons, I've no real time for the depressing nature of it all and the constant misery inflicted on Joy anymore. is it actually worth sticking with?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Cina wrote: »
    is it actually worth sticking with?

Depends on how much you enjoy watching bad tv in order to snark about it online. That's honestly the only reason I sat through it this year.

I also laughed a bit at the parody of it on Dear White People. Especially when they called out the lead actress for being in a cult herself but not seeing the hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

iguana wrote: »
    Depends on how much you enjoy watching bad tv in order to snark about it online. That's honestly the only reason I sat through it this year.

I also laughed a bit at the parody of it on Dear White People. Especially when they called out the lead actress for being in a cult herself but not seeing the hypocrisy.

Bad TV this a way -> Love island, Room to Improve repeats, At your service repeats, Lords and Ladles repeats, Dragons Den, Operation Transformation, Celebrity Operation Transformation repeats, Mrs Brown's Boys, All Round to Mrs Brown.

The Handmaid's Tale is not for everyone but the general consensus is that it is considered one of the best shows. Personally, I love it myself. As for Elisabeth Moss being a scientologist: surely, that is a good few steps above being an evangelical 'Christian' type common in America's current semi-Gileadean regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Guardian has an extract from "The testaments":

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/sep/04/the-testaments-by-margaret-atwood-read-the-exclusive-first-extract

Looks like one of the narrators is an Aunt.

Also Ann Dowd is the voice of that Aunt in the audiobook. I've never read an audiobook but I think I'll make an exception for this one.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Almost finished listening to the audiobook. All I can say is its a shame this wasn't released before season 3 was written. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say Aunt Lydia features in the book (read by Ann Dowd) and her back story is far better and far more satisfying. Though there are some some points from season 2 included in the book it has gone a different direction from the series. For anyone who was disappointed with season 3 or just looking to get some kind of closure I'd recommend reading (or listening to the book) Though I haven't finished it yet and knowing Margaret Atwood this may end ambiguously I can still say I feel far more satisfied. The characters and the world make far more sense. I can't even tell you how much more interesting and better written Aunt Lydia's character is. I hope somehow the series can find its way to the storyline of this book. Some details will have to be different but it would be a big surprise if and a bold move if season 4 was based on this book given that
    it is based sometime in the future and June thus far has not featured in the book

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

what did they add on top of the tv episode that had Aunt Lydias backstory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Slydice wrote: »
    what did they add on top of the tv episode that had Aunt Lydias backstory?

Not much of her backstory is shown in the TV series, and what is shown isn't the most important part, in my opinion. Even before reading "The Testaments" I thought this was the case. That part of her life is barely mentioned in the book, but there is her account of what happened a few years later, during the time that women were suddenly banned from working and abducted to be executed or used as handmaids, econowives, etc. I won't spoil the whole thing, but it basically tells
    the story of how "Aunts" came to be in the first place, and how Aunt Lydia got her position in Gilead.

Advertisement