Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

maximo31 wrote: »
    Would this be suitable for use in the Ooni? I'm thinking not.....:
    https://www.aldi.ie/black-rectangle-griddle-tray/p/706572404902403

It's less than 12" wide so should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Feisar wrote: »
    Fecked up two pizzas last night trying to get them off the peel into the Ooni.

I think it's been mentioned a few times here but semolina is great for dusting the counter before you slide the peel under. Doesn't burn as easy as flour. Usually pick it up round the desert section in the supermarkets near the likes of the rice puddings for some reason. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

maximo31 wrote: »
    Would this be suitable for use in the Ooni? I'm thinking not.....:
    https://www.aldi.ie/black-rectangle-griddle-tray/p/706572404902403

It's only rated to 250°C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It's only rated to 250°C

Missed that bit. If you've a gas Ooni, just turn the dial down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Pipmae

John Lewis has stock of the Koda 16 right now. Be quick!

https://www.johnlewis.com/ooni-koda-16-gas-fuel-portable-pizza-oven/p5049055

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Has anybody found non-ooni cast iron kit for use in the ooni? I see some cheap stuff on Nisbets, but it doesn’t call out the max temp. The standard seems to be about 250 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

writetojd wrote: »
    I think it's been mentioned a few times here but semolina is great for dusting the counter before you slide the peel under. Doesn't burn as easy as flour. Usually pick it up round the desert section in the supermarkets near the likes of the rice puddings for some reason. :rolleyes:

I dust the peel with semolina and prepare the pizza on the peel. I tried to slide the peel under once and made a hash of it. I think my peel isn’t suitable for that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

writetojd wrote: »

That's because traditionally here and in the UK semolina is a dessert, rather than a savoury food. It's mixed with milk and made into a dish similar to rice pudding or tapioca.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Has anybody found non-ooni cast iron kit for use in the ooni? I see some cheap stuff on Nisbets, but it doesn’t call out the max temp. The standard seems to be about 250 degrees?

Dont quote me on this but have read before that true cast iron can go up to 700c no problems so should be fine in the heat of the Ooni. Im not sure what that was Aldi were selling that is rated to 250c but doubt it is cast iron if thats all it can go to.

Using it in higher temperatures would mean it loses its seasoning quicker but apart from that true cast iron (and not some cheap enameled version) can handle really high temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I have a le crueset griddle that fits perfectly in the Karu. I did some peppers and onions for the pizzas in the pan while the oven was heating. I was told not to put a cold pan in a hot oven as the heat shock could crack the stone so put it in just after I lit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Pipmae wrote: »
    John Lewis has stock of the Koda 16 right now. Be quick!

https://www.johnlewis.com/ooni-koda-16-gas-fuel-portable-pizza-oven/p5049055

Had this on notification on JL online and placed an order last night.
    Received a call today to book a day for delivery (this is friday, next thursday available for delivery). I must say, great customer service from John Lewis. Sad to see that they've been affected by Covid etc.

Back to Ooni Koda 16. I chose delivery to AddressPal as JL don't ship to Ireland and the Parcel Motel NI rate was £60.

Hopefully it should be a €25-€30 AddressPal charge to my door in Dublin.

Had the Koda before and decided to pass it on to someone else and purchase the Koda 16 instead.

What i like about the Koda 16 is:
    1) the starter/temperature knob is on the side rather than the back. Much easier to use this way.

2) The double sided flame (back & left sides) means less turning

3) More surface space for larger pizza's or to use a skillet for steaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Really struggling to find a dough I'm happy with.

I have tried a lot of recipes but most just too doughy for me.

Really struggling to find a dough I'm happy with.

I have tried a lot of recipes but most just too doughy for me.

I was finding the same initially. In a regular oven, I find 70% hydration or more if you can is the way to go and use a pizza stone as hot as possible.

When I got the pizza oven, I found fresh yeast is great for a light airy crust that cooks through. I was struggling for a bit with instant yeast.

The other thing I found is to never underestimate the stone base temperature. If it’s not hot enough the pizza top will burn before the dough cooks through.

Assuming you have a stone oven, you probably have to light it 2 hours before using do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why would you grate mozzarella? Just tear it off, but I only use fior di latte stuff

RasTa wrote: »
    Why would you grate mozzarella? Just tear it off, but I only use fior di latte stuff

Sometimes it’s a texture think as well as the moisture factor. Not everybody likes a clump of mozz I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

I was finding the same initially. In a regular oven, I find 70% hydration or more if you can is the way to go and use a pizza stone as hot as possible.

When I got the pizza oven, I found fresh yeast is great for a light airy crust that cooks through. I was struggling for a bit with instant yeast.

The other thing I found is to never underestimate the stone base temperature. If it’s not hot enough the pizza top will burn before the dough cooks through.

Assuming you have a stone oven, you probably have to light it 2 hours before using do you?

Yes I have a stone oven, I light it 90 mins before to 2 hours depending on the wind weather etc

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

el_gaucho wrote: »
    I dust the peel with semolina and prepare the pizza on the peel. I tried to slide the peel under once and made a hash of it. I think my peel isn’t suitable for that.

I tend to prep the dough on a dough board heavily dusted with semolina. If the peel will slide under I generally find it will slide off. The couple of times I tried assembling it on the peel I inevitably would miss a spot and it would stick. I found the Onni less forgiving considering the tighter angle you have to slide it in compared to a conventional oven.
    The only solution to your problem is make more pizzas to practice with :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

So, half remembering ye mentioning Aldi bases, I bought the Aldi fresh ready rolled pizza base (in the fridge next to the proper sourdough bases ye *were* talking about).

So.... it turns out it comes out just like a slightly-biscuity frozen pizza. You know the sort. Much better, thanks to cooking on stones and proper toppings, but Dr. Oetker would be proud...

(Given that the OH periodically has a hankering for frozen pizza, so the second one is allll his)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tree wrote: »
    So, half remembering ye mentioning Aldi bases, I bought the Aldi fresh ready rolled pizza base (in the fridge next to the proper sourdough bases ye *were* talking about).

So.... it turns out it comes out just like a slightly-biscuity frozen pizza. You know the sort. Much better, thanks to cooking on stones and proper toppings, but Dr. Oetker would be proud...

(Given that the OH periodically has a hankering for frozen pizza, so the second one is allll his)

my local Tesco now has a "pizza station" (just a chill cabinet with bases, mozarella and various packaged toppings) and the bases they have there are better than the Lidl and Aldi ones IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Bit of a random question,but how do you know how much you have left in the gas bottle?

• Advertisement

Bit of a random question,but how do you know how much you have left in the gas bottle?

All cylinders have a "tare" weight disk showing the weight of the empty cylinder. They then fill the bottle to the required amount the cylinder can hold. To check how much gas is remaining it is recommended to use scales.

For example the total weight of a 11kg cylinder is 24.2kg – the bottle weighs 11.2kg and the gas weighs 11kg.

To check how much gas is remaining, place the bottle on a scale and check the weight.
    In this example, if the scales show 14.2kg, the original bottle weight was 11.2kg, so this would mean there is 3kg of gas left in the cylinder.

You would need to figure out how much gas your oven uses per hour to get an idea of how many remaining uses you have left.

I would recommend getting a second smaller bottle as well. That way, if you do run out of gas mid cook you can quickly switch over. It also ensures that you get to use all the gas you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

wandererz wrote: »
    All cylinders have a "tare" weight disk showing the weight of the empty cylinder. They then fill the bottle to the required amount the cylinder can hold. To check how much gas is remaining it is recommended to use scales.

For example the total weight of a 11kg cylinder is 24.2kg – the bottle weighs 11.2kg and the gas weighs 11kg.

To check how much gas is remaining, place the bottle on a scale and check the weight.
    In this example, if the scales show 14.2kg, the original bottle weight was 11.2kg, so this would mean there is 3kg of gas left in the cylinder.

You would need to figure out how much gas your oven uses per hour to get an idea of how many remaining uses you have left.

I would recommend getting a second smaller bottle as well. That way, if you do run out of gas mid cook you can quickly switch over. It also ensures that you get to use all the gas you pay for.

Perfect thanks for the detailed reply!,i was going to get a second bottle as i was worried the gas would run out mid cook.

Perfect thanks for the detailed reply!,i was going to get a second bottle as i was worried the gas would run out mid cook.

Also, probably best to weigh the cylinder when you purchase it or get it refilled.

From what I could find the Ooni Koda 16 can consume around 500-550 grams of propane gas per hour and the Koda around 300 grams.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

18 hour room temp proving turned out nicer than 48 hour fridge proving i think. Caputo 00 with 61% hydration. Might try 24 hours at room temp next. Wood fired in the ooni pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there is a trick of pouring hot water down the side and feeling where it starts to go cold

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

[HTML][/HTML]
    18 hour room temp proving turned out nicer than 48 hour fridge proving i think. Caputo 00 with 61% hydration. Might try 24 hours at room temp next. Wood fired in the ooni pro.

Yeah I've messed around with a lot of different durations, and cold proving, but I find I get the best/most consistent results with a 24 hour room temperature prove - that's with caputo pizzeria flour. I have a hunch that my fridge temp is too low for cold proving (3 degrees), and I've never been arsed trying to change it because I like my beer cold :-)

Last thing - I tried fresh yeast for the first time at the weekend and got great results. I put a bit extra in for good measure though, and the crusts were a bit too puffy, so I'll be sticking to what Pizzapp+ says next time. (FYI, if you're looking for fresh yeast, try your local polish shop. Comes in a 100g block, you'll find it in the fridge. I think it was 40 cent).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Has anyone's mid September pre order shipped yet? I see the pre order has gone to late September shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

RonnieL wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Yeah I've messed around with a lot of different durations, and cold proving, but I find I get the best/most consistent results with a 24 hour room temperature prove - that's with caputo pizzeria flour. I have a hunch that my fridge temp is too low for cold proving (3 degrees), and I've never been arsed trying to change it because I like my beer cold :-)

I'm pretty sure anything below 4 degrees stops yeast activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

RonnieL wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

Last thing - I tried fresh yeast for the first time at the weekend and got great results. I put a bit extra in for good measure though, and the crusts were a bit too puffy, so I'll be sticking to what Pizzapp+ says next time. (FYI, if you're looking for fresh yeast, try your local polish shop. Comes in a 100g block, you'll find it in the fridge. I think it was 40 cent).

Where are you buying the caputo pizzeria flour? I've only seen it in 25kg bags so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

philidub wrote: »
    Where are you buying the caputo pizzeria flour? I've only seen it in 25kg bags so far

Where did you see it in 25kg bags? I’d love one of them!

Advertisement